Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

JCDentonYeahRip.wav

AJensonWhatashame.mp3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

rwby is mindblowingly poo poo but im sure this take is chilled

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I think most of the interpersonal relationships in RWBY were there mostly by fans imagining them because the show certainly wasn't interested in it.
oh, definitely, just that if you did do a reboot or something i do think there's stuff you could build something off of. 'monster slaying school' is played out as hell but it does provide a platform for having a lot of characters bounce off each other in various situations without having to do a ton of setup work for it, there's a reason it's a common premise.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

cumpantry posted:

rwby is mindblowingly poo poo but im sure this take is chilled

The best thing I’ve ever heard about it is that someone I knew had seen some of it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I liked playing Yang in cross tag, I'll give RWBY that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

rwby is terrible but in a way that's kinda nostalgic to me, it reminds me so much of that time when it was considered the pinnacle of coolness to splice matrix fight choreography into your flash animation about mario taking a piss

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Man, what is the deal with these guys who are super Weird about Japan and anything that comes from it?

Liberals turning the big racism dial and looking for approval.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

rwby is terrible but in a way that's kinda nostalgic to me, it reminds me so much of that time when it was considered the pinnacle of coolness to splice matrix fight choreography into your flash animation about mario taking a piss

Yeah, I know for some folks it wasn't so much RWBY was cool but that Dead Fantasy was cool and surely the same must be true of RWBY question mark.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

super mario brothers z is still legitimately impressive

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My main takeaway from RWBY is that it would never have gotten as popular as it did if it hadn't presented itself as an independent fan work. People are a lot more willing to let amateurish work slide than professional productions, which RWBY technically always has been. It was riding hard on that "wow, a small, independent bunch of guys from Texas can make their own anime!" sentiment.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

super mario brothers z is still legitimately impressive

dont know what sorcery he used for the final episodes but it was cool as hell

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Equeen posted:

Maybe a weird over-correction from dealing with annoying weaboos?

Worst case scenario is just plain racism.

It's racism either way OP

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

imo RWBY is a "oh man that's a really interesting first draft for an anime, once they work all the kinks out it could be pretty good...what do you mean that's what it is 9 seasons in" series

mystes
May 31, 2006

Droyer posted:

It's racism either way OP
Do you also think it's racism when people complain about sexualization of minors in anime?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mystes posted:

Do you also think it's racism when people complain about sexualization of minors in anime?

:goofy:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

mystes posted:

I mean, if they're framing it as a symptom of the inherent depravity of Japanese society, then yes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

KingKalamari posted:

I mean, if they're framing it as a symptom of the inherent depravity of Japanese society, then yes.
If you hear a criticism of media produced in Japan and you immediately jump to assuming that that's what someone is saying I think that's on you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's only not racist if you do it for the French.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mystes posted:

If you hear a criticism of media produced in Japan and you immediately jump to assuming that that's what someone is saying I think that's on you

The thing that started this convo was King talking about a specific conversation with a friend not some vague general criticism of japanese media.

You can't even read posts I don't think you need to be paddling out into the white rapids of possible race based discrimination behind ideas.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mystes posted:

huh

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

mystes posted:

There’s criticism, and there’s “this centuries old form of theatre is opiate for the Japanese masses.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wonder how many more layoffs will be announced to the public before the employees find out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The thing that started this convo was King talking about a specific conversation with a friend not some vague general criticism of japanese media.

You can't even read posts I don't think you need to be paddling out into the white rapids of possible race based discrimination behind ideas.
I think you need to check your own reading comprehension

KingKalamari posted:

Man, what is the deal with these guys who are super Weird about Japan and anything that comes from it? For instance, a friend of mine absolutely refuses to watch anything anime ever
The original post was taking an example of someone having a specific criticism of anime specifically (albeit perhaps an incorrect one) and turning that into an example of people being "super weird about japan" in general

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KingKalamari posted:

Man, what is the deal with these guys who are super Weird about Japan and anything that comes from it? For instance, a friend of mine absolutely refuses to watch anything anime ever (Except for the rare anime he arbitrarily defines as not too anime), and at several points has gone off on bizarre rants about politics in Japanese media - Like he criticized Ghost in the Shell for having a plotline about the American government perpetuating war crimes in a fictional future war and not acknowledging Japanese war crimes in WWII and also tried to make a clumsy equivocation between Noh and Kabuki theatre to argue anime was low culture designed to dumb down the masses and keep them complicit?

Hell, you still see Americans angry about Pearl Harbor for some reason?

Edward Said's Orientalism explains everything.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

mystes posted:

The original post was taking an example of someone having a specific criticism of anime specifically (albeit perhaps an incorrect one) and turning that into an example of people being "super weird about japan" in general

Grampa, do you need me to call the nurse again?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

mystes posted:

Yes because they should be celebrating all the smoking hot MILFs in anime instead.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like anime

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am racist, but also love anime.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am racist, but also love anime.

a centrist for our times

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Time to combine several current topics into a video, from 3 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fdKWOHrdE

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
honestly surprised the company named Cock Bite lasted 21 years

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
execution by firing squad.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have never felt any desire to watch RWBY

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mystes posted:

Yeah you can't read sorry op.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i watched like half a minute of rwby years ago because i kept hearing about it

i laughed at the animation quality and stopped

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

My main takeaway from RWBY is that it would never have gotten as popular as it did if it hadn't presented itself as an independent fan work. People are a lot more willing to let amateurish work slide than professional productions, which RWBY technically always has been. It was riding hard on that "wow, a small, independent bunch of guys from Texas can make their own anime!" sentiment.

It's funny how long people seemed to think it was like five people in a garage with a computer and not an actual part of Warner Brothers.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i have never felt any desire to watch RWBY

Season 1 dvd box quote.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mystes posted:

the original post was about refusing to watch anything animated from japan

but yea, there does tend to be a bit of racism behind people assuming everything from japan sexualizes minors

i already mentioned that hard drive article from like last year that was about games from japan ranked by how embarrassing they are

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 6, 2024

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

This is really important to keep in mind for lots of things from the early youtube era. Much of it was driven by sheer novelty and respect for independent people doing their own thing. "Man, these guys made a whole anime by themselves" carried RWBY very far. People excused the animation and writing because they expected amateurism and its quality gave it authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mystes posted:

no but leaping right to this in a conversation entirely unrelated to that is racism