Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
CTeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Scam Likely posted:

Drone technology feels like a really huge doctrinal shift in every domain of warfare.

Who knew the toy helicopter guy from san andreas would end up a General some day. But yeah, its terrifyingly available technology that can hit drat near anywhere. A really big issue is that a lot of it seems beholden to starlink owned by someone with a messiah complex, who loves to tamper with politics and prone to really, really stupid choices. We really are in the militarized space era.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Scam Likely posted:

Drone technology feels like a really huge doctrinal shift in every domain of warfare.

Not if we SMASH them out of the sky!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-68484830

Soldiers have been taking aim with a new scope that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to shoot drones out of the sky.

Paratroopers from 16 Air Assault Brigade in Colchester, became the first to be issued with SmartShooter SMASH technology this week.

The Ministry of Defence said it gave soldiers on the ground a "high probability" of shooting down targets.

They have been trained on how to use the new tech this week.

The SmartShooter used image processing software to detect "un-crewed air systems" in the scope's field of view, before it targeted, tracked and predicted its movement.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

It's called the Black Sea Fleet cuz its so dark at the bottom

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/umasudhir/status/1764570621391036790?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

It's March 6th, 2024; and Putin is still a piece of poo poo.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/03/05/after-two-years-of-trying-the-russians-finally-destroyed-a-ukrainian-himars/
Finally the 3 day special military operation can be concluded now that russia has destroyed some truck from the 80's.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Missile strike in Odessa near a meeting between Zelensky and the greek prime minister Mitsotakis (the video doesn´t show the strike, just their press statement afterwards):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRLMdTNhBY
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/03/06/russia-ukraine-zelensky-missile-strike-odessa/

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

haddedam posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/03/05/after-two-years-of-trying-the-russians-finally-destroyed-a-ukrainian-himars/
Finally the 3 day special military operation can be concluded now that russia has destroyed some truck from the 80's.

Can't be accurate. Shoigu has reported they destroyed countless HIMARS previously. And usually two or three Zelensky's.

ESDK posted:

Missile strike in Odessa near a meeting between Zelensky and the greek prime minister Mitsotakis (the video doesn´t show the strike, just their press statement afterwards):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRLMdTNhBY
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/03/06/russia-ukraine-zelensky-missile-strike-odessa/

Oh I see they tried but failed.

One HIMARS and zero Zelensky's. So Shoigu should let everyone know that they really wanted those Russian ships at the bottom of the sea, and those Russian planes were meant to turn into fireballs, and once they destroy a couple more NATO deathstars and warlock clone brigades they'll pretty much have this wrapped up.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So time to bring back armoured belts?

I'm not a naval expert or anything but from what I've read building the ships in the old way with tons of armor is possible but terribly expensive and makes them guzzle even more fuel since they'll have so much mass. That and its not too hard for the missile guys to make the warheads another 100kg bigger if they don't mind reducing range some to overwhelm the armor.

On top of that the armor belts are totally ineffective against modern torpedoes which are apparently deadly as all gently caress. So yeah that is why they stopped building them like that.

Probably easier and cheaper to slap more guns on boats I'm guessing.

A 40mm Bofors autocannon or 2 with a modern remote aiming + camera system that will let them see a low in the water speed boat from a few kilometers away will probably be plenty good to do the job.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I'm not seriously advocating for the return of armoured belts.

It's gonna be bad times for Russian sailors though because lol at them being able to make effective countermeasures for naval drones any time soon.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Russian navy going to look hilarious dry docked on shore 400 meters away
from water hauled up on tree stumps and cinder blocks, dry as a bone so it can spin its radars.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah I'm not seriously advocating for the return of armoured belts.

It's gonna be bad times for Russian sailors though because lol at them being able to make effective countermeasures for naval drones any time soon.

They have countermeasures, the russian military discipline is just so incredebly poor the ships are barely afloat and not even fully functional due to lack of maintenance, high corruption and theft.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe they're just planning ahead for when the oceans rise. People laughed at Noah too and then he killed them all with his water bending.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1765292095298851296#m
:dukedog:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lol a Russia reverting to bronze weapons and vehicles now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wouldn't be the first time a civilization destroyed others with bronze age technology. Bronze age weaponry ended more nations than nukes.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Putin's moved on from EU4 map painting games to the Civilization series.

Because if there's one thing it teaches us its that bronze spears will beat tanks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

lol a Russia reverting to bronze weapons and vehicles now.

Now their lovely vehicles won't rust. Checkmate!

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Russia got close to killing the Greek Prime Minister.

quote:

A Russian missile exploded in the Ukrainian port city of Odesa early Wednesday, just hundreds of feet from where President Volodymyr Zelenskyy was meeting with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, according to sources and officials.

"It hit in a couple of hundred of meters (about 300 feet) from us, while the meeting was going," a source said.

The source also added that this was "the closest call ever," excluding Zelenskyy's trips to visit troops on the front lines.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/missile-explodes-ukrainian-president-volodymyr-zelenskyys-meeting-greek/story?id=107844297

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

close only counts in horseshoes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

haddedam posted:

They have countermeasures, the russian military discipline is just so incredebly poor the ships are barely afloat and not even fully functional due to lack of maintenance, high corruption and theft.

That means losing ships = shedding useless ballast, each defeat brings Putain closer to victory!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I mean, if it had hit and killed, would that have been an act of war against a NATO state then?

EDIT: Is this anohter of Putin's not touching you not touching you poo poo?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I mean, if it had hit and killed, would that have been an act of war against a NATO state then?

Technically yes, since the explosions did not touch either of them.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TrashMammal posted:

close only counts in horseshoes

Oh, I don't know, "close enough" might not engender any goodwill from Greece for Russia.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

It wouldn't trigger NATO's article 5.

quote:

Article 6

For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

- on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France , on the territory of Turkey or on the Islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;

- on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in which occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 6, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Article 5 or not, it's extremely dumb of Poopin to try to kill the PM of Greece. Which is not surprising considering he's a giant dumb rear end in a top hat.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Looking forward to the evolution of battlefield tactics to incorporate the positioning of the Prime Minster of Greece deep behind Russian lines at sensitive targets.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No one would do anything if Greek PM got murked. Finger wag and condemn is all that would happen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Actually, Edogon might send Putin a fruit basket

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

No one would do anything if Greek PM got murked. Finger wag and condemn is all that would happen.

That's what they said about Franz Ferdinand too

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I would be heavily conflicted if Russia killed Trump by accident.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Tigey posted:

Putin's moved on from EU4 map painting games to the Civilization series.

Because if there's one thing it teaches us its that bronze spears will beat tanks

Well javelins are pretty good against tanks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

beer_war posted:

Why conflicted? Trump would be dead and there'd be a great excuse to gently caress russia up finally.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

beer_war posted:

Finally taking the denazification seriously

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This "not touching you" intimidation/temper tantrum throwing is par for the course with state visits and is really quite pathetic.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

toadies love this kind of poo poo though

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

I can't let this slip by uncommented

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

300 feet is not "a couple hundred meters" :angry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

bad_fmr posted:

Here is an incoming dumb question from a guy with the wrong military qualifications, but uh...Javelins (shoulder fired, thank you very much) aren't good against ships because of range?