Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Could we all agree to refrain from baiting not-FF into getting themselves probed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
social media trolling has become a crucial battlefield in modern warfare, it's one of the reasons the US will be annihilated the instant it tries to declare war on China

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

CANSOFCUM and CSOR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Egg Moron posted:

Because she used to be such a smokin babe?

You just don't want to believe a person can age that much that badly in only 19 years.

I remember 2005! Will i be nuland in another decade + ??? Will I one day help bring about the destruction of a nation and liquidation of its military age population???

questions to keep one awake at night!

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah when you notice it’s actually a russian gov account it’s a bit eyebrow raising

Russians closing the Reddit-rear end-war gap.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

PERESTROIKA

UNDER SECRETARY OF STATE FOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS: Look at me.
Look at me.
(Loud) HERE! LOOK HERE AT...
JOE (Looking at her): What?

UNDER SECRETARY OF STATE FOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS: What do you see?
JOE: What do I... ?
UNDER SECRETARY OF STATE FOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS: What do you see?
JOE: Nothing, I...

UNDER SECRETARY OF STATE FOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS: Thank you.
JOE: For what?
UNDER SECRETARY OF STATE FOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS: Finally. The truth.
JOE (A beat, then): I'm going. Out. Just ___ Out.

(He exits.)

UNDER SECRETARY OF STATE FOR POLITICAL AFFAIRS: It sets you free.
Goodbye.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

You wanna know how I got these jowls?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

fizziester posted:

Could we all agree to refrain from baiting not-FF into getting themselves probed?

trans women are cool and good

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
and just like that, the thread was weird again

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

and just like that, the thread was weird again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

to be clear i did not even read the past page and realize now that might be seen as an attempted slight against that diplomat and that was not the intent

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
alright let's not get him probated again, because every time it happens something big immediately also happens in the ukraine.

Anyway how about something this thread will SURELY enjoy?

from here but also the article is behind a paywall because democracy, as we know, dies in darkness

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, of anyone in the administration, Ukraine was Nuland’s baby and the aid bill is still stuck in congress. Perhaps the main goal of the administration at this point is to keep it from blowing up until after the election.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So I've seen some suggestion that the front has stabilized somewhat after the surrender of Avdeevka. Has there been any more settlements taken in the past two days or have things starting to slow down again?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

January 6 Survivor posted:

alright let's not get him probated again, because every time it happens something big immediately also happens in the ukraine.

Anyway how about something this thread will SURELY enjoy?

from here but also the article is behind a paywall because democracy, as we know, dies in darkness

drat that would be cool

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Lostconfused posted:

So I've seen some suggestion that the front has stabilized somewhat after the surrender of Avdeevka. Has there been any more settlements taken in the past two days or have things starting to slow down again?

The intensity of the fighting going on across the front over the last week is significantly higher than it has been at basically any point previous in the war besides the battle for Bakhmut as recognized by the casualty estimates produced by both sides. The Russian reports are especially useful for this purpose because unlike the Ukrainians they break down their reporting by sub-region of Ukraine and you can use the week to week trends for these regions to estimate the amount of fighting that is going on in each locality..

There was a period in mid to later February where there was a real lull after the big collapse by Ukraine in Avdiivka where the Russian reports were indicating as few as 40-50 daily Ukrainian casualties across entire geographic regions and it was clear there was a moment being taken for troop rotation / consolidation of new positions and a re-reorientation of Russian priorities. This now appears to be over from what I understand, and if you do place weight in the reporting there are incredibly fierce battles being fought in the direction of Kupiansk, outside of Bakhmut and to the west of Avdiivka / Donetsk city.

I guess at this point all we have is speculation and scattered reporting of the nature of the fighting that is taking place around these places but it does seem that more dominos are going to fall soon. The problem that Ukraine is confronting right now is that in some of the places they are fighting now (around Robotyne and west of Avdiivka especially) the Ukrainians are finding themselves fighting in areas where they have no prepared defensive positions and they really have to decide at some point whether it's worth it to keep trying to hold onto these areas.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Mar 6, 2024

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

she’s always looked that evil, just not in her official photo portrait:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah when you notice it’s actually a russian gov account it’s a bit eyebrow raising

it makes it twice as funny imo

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

adebisi lives posted:

I think the trick is to not land standing on your feet and hope you don't break something else rolling into the landing.

People gently caress themselves up just jumping out trucks in training, if you cared about your knees, you wouldnt be a soldier.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tom Guycot posted:

You just don't want to believe a person can age that much that badly in only 19 years.

I remember 2005! Will i be nuland in another decade + ??? Will I one day help bring about the destruction of a nation and liquidation of its military age population???

questions to keep one awake at night!

Sacrifice your beauty is a required spell ingredient to pull off a successful color revolution. So just do color revolution you are fine

Sassbot Alpha
Sep 2, 2011
Fallen Rib

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to be clear i did not even read the past page and realize now that might be seen as an attempted slight against that diplomat and that was not the intent

You shouldn't be using us for some weird jab at FF regardless. It's pretty disrespectful to use trans people as some kinda of cultural cudgel. The jokes accusing FF of misogyny are also pretty tiresome and rude at this point too.

I don't want to come across as a scold but using marginalised people to score points and make nasty attacks on the character of others is frustrating coming from people who claim to be 'allies'.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the ukrainian MO on the defensive has been to staff the line with cut-rate troops (your middle-aged territorial defence types) who absorb the brunt of the attrition and then use their prioritised brigades to put out fires and keep things from getting out of hand. my understanding is that this failed in avdiivka where they tried to use azov/3rd assault to stabilise the situation, but it ended up getting mauled immediately which led to a temporarily massively underpowered part of the front. the ukrainians have since transferred in other priority units (thence the abrams footage emerging) which have stabilised the front line. the russians don't seem to have let up, though, and are now trying to chew up the prioritised ukrainian units in-theater, probably hoping to seriously deplete them

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
thread, please pull up, I know you can do this

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
If Russia truly wants to close the posting gap they need another hotdog man, an embassy account copying someone else's tweet just isn't the same

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Sassbot Alpha posted:

You shouldn't be using us for some weird jab at FF regardless. It's pretty disrespectful to use trans people as some kinda of cultural cudgel. The jokes accusing FF of misogyny are also pretty tiresome and rude at this point too.

I don't want to come across as a scold but using marginalised people to score points and make nasty attacks on the character of others is frustrating coming from people who claim to be 'allies'.

its deeply funny though given how FF was probated for saying that states use the idea of crimes against women for easy propaganda points

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there's a real possibility that the russians have decided that this is a good time to try and permanently cripple the ukrainian military's ability to do stuff by killing a bunch of their motivated, well-trained and well-equipped guys and shattering their units. the more intense the fighting is on a relatively favourable battlefield (for the russians), the more permanent damage the russians can do; fourty-year-old conscripts are replacable in the way that actual mechanised infantry is not.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just hope the Russians don't push too hard that they spook the EU into restarting their own military industry (haha just kidding.)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

there's a real possibility that the russians have decided that this is a good time to try and permanently cripple the ukrainian military's ability to do stuff by killing a bunch of their motivated, well-trained and well-equipped guys and shattering their units. the more intense the fighting is on a relatively favourable battlefield (for the russians), the more permanent damage the russians can do; fourty-year-old conscripts are replacable in the way that actual mechanised infantry is not.

The Ukrainians were sitting on at least a couple brigades and some US/NATO equipment from last fall and it is why you are starting to see some Abrams and some Bradley IFVs on the ground. The Ukrainians may have been sitting on them with the hope of utilizing them for another counter-offensive and just had to throw them in because their line couldn't take it otherwise. The Russians have no problem engaging them mostly on open ground.

The issue is with the conscripts is just that they probably aren't going to be end up fighting that hard if they can help it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ardennes posted:

Arguably, this war has shown that in the end you want tons of AD, infantry, and artillery, but also you also need flexibility (which includes "legacy" elements like MBTs). Likewise, while the US marines were always a bit of an awkward "naval army," they also had their esprit de corps, and at the end of the day, was a robust land force with a large armor corps even if it didn't make much administrative sense. Taking away their tanks and tube artillery not only took away useful land elements for the US, but left the Marine Corps as a vestigial force that is still taking up funding, but it is unclear what they are supposed to be doing.

The US army also neutering its infantry combat brigade teams, which is likewise bizarre, especially since they have a bunch of Stryker brigades of also marginal usefulness. The "punch" of the US on the ground at this point beyond the national guard seems to be down to 10 armored brigade combat teams with about 850 Abrams tanks. That isn't a force to take on the world with.

My impression of the role for the marines is to be smallish groups that can operate unsupported for months, specifically on islands in the western Pacific.

What are they doing with the infantry combat brigade teams, I couldn't find anything quickly.

I could see a big shake up of funding allocations in the future, with the army being cut to fund the navy. Probably resembles doing something too much, but it is a possibility.

Ardennes posted:

Paratroopers are arguably not that useful except as deterrence, but you really don't want to lose your air assault ability, it is just going to limit your strategic options. Air assault often failed in Vietnam it was trying to hammer in a nail with a set of pliers.

Scrubs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

:redhammer:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I thought I would do a little maths based on that story about the crowd of women on the hunt for conscription officers. The local administrator says several dozen men are serving in the armed forces, so let's say 50. Kosmach has a population of 6,500, so that is 0.77% of the population.
Compared to say 700,000 soldiers from a pre war population of unoccupied territories of 35 million (lol yes I know but maybe the Kosmach figures are similarly distorted.) That's 2%.

Now obviously this makes one pretty big assumption, how many is "several dozen", and it is just one small village. But it is a small piece of evidence that Galicia isn't being pushed into the armed forces at the same rate. Another I suppose is that the locals don't seem to have previously seen the conscription fellows.

======

Another fun tidbit I came across, apparently after the Maidan coup Ukraine has enacted a series of reforms to give power to local authorities, which I understand as being one of the main sticking points in the implementation of Minsk 2. Now perhaps these reforms as enacted would not go far enough to satisfy Minsk 2, but I still find it a little odd.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decentralisation_in_Ukraine

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

My impression of the role for the marines is to be smallish groups that can operate unsupported for months, specifically on islands in the western Pacific.

What are they doing with the infantry combat brigade teams, I couldn't find anything quickly.

I could see a big shake up of funding allocations in the future, with the army being cut to fund the navy. Probably resembles doing something too much, but it is a possibility.

That seems to be the idea, it is just unclear how that is going to be practical in a conflict, particularly with the PRC. At least when they had heavier armaments, there was some versatility, and now...I guess they are supposed to be rushing atolls?

Infantry combat brigade teams are having the weapon companies attached to battalions downgraded to platoons. It is going to be a net loss of a significant degree of firepower to support the infantry battalions themselves, and between the new ICBT structure and the Stryker CBTs, it is unclear what they are supposed to be doing in a peer-to-peer engagement.

I think cutting the Army/Marine Corps was part of the idea behind the pivot to the Indo-Pacific...but the US not only got caught up with Russia but the Middle East is growingly hostile to the US. Also, the main issue with the USN beyond a lack of personnel for shipbuilding and maintenance; even building a single drydock seems to be a mammoth task that takes years. If anything the USN is probably more stretched than ever at this point, and could probably muster a single battle group against China without a 2 month lead time.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Galacians should contribute more to the war against East Slavs.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
I got the text for saying the US escalated the Ukraine war. I got similar down vote to hell in reddit.

The big conflict was because Russia was the invading army, with evil intentions, under evil putin, with horrible orders.

If that was even true, wouldn't the US giving Ukraine more support, more advanced weapons be an escalation? Or in warfare, is a defender and/or their allies unable to escalate?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Escalation is a Russian talking point.

Nothing the western nations do counts as escalation because they do not wish for escalation.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...
Rephrasing - is this a new claim with the Ukraine war, or an argument that's previously been used by the US.

And would non western nations say this point applies.

I'm curious if this specific argument is laying ground work for "escalation" in SEA.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Endman posted:

this is an actual demon

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/nexta_tv/status/1765438434301116854?s=20

quote:

The Security Service of Ukraine showed tests of a new generation of "Sea Baby" maritime drones using Starlink technology

The first drone was named Avdiivka.

The department said that the drone is capable of delivering almost a ton of explosives more than a thousand kilometers away.

The Security Service of Ukraine recalled that sea drones were used to blow up the Crimean bridge and hit a total of 11 Russian warships.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Ukrainska Pravda

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/03/6/7445309/

Ground Forces Commander predicts Ukraine will seize initiative at contact line this year
YEVHEN KIZILOV — WEDNESDAY, 6 MARCH 2024, 21:14

Ukraine is stabilising the contact line and will begin preparing for counter-offensive actions to seize the initiative, Oleksandr Pavliuk, Commander of Ukraine’s Ground Forces, has said.

Source: Lieutenant General Oleksandr Pavliuk during the national joint 24/7 newscast; Ukraine's public broadcaster Suspilne

Details: Pavliuk described the situation on the battlefield as difficult, but controlled. Russia is trying to occupy as much Ukrainian territory as possible before the Russian presidential elections in March, so "everything possible and impossible" is being thrown at the offensive.

Pavliuk noted that judging by the numbers of soldiers estimated to have been killed and captured, it can be assumed that the Russians are throwing newly mobilised servicemen at the contact line without any training. They are given only a short briefing and thrown into battle – all in order to seize the initiative.

Quote: "Our task is to stabilise the contact line, kill as many as possible, which we are doing, and regroup as much as possible in order to withdraw units in need of replenishment and recovery [and move them] to the training grounds, so that we can establish an attack group and conduct counter-offensive operations this year. We are succeeding, and the situation is stabilising."

Details: Pavliuk said there are still several hot spots where the Russians are concentrating their forces: Avdiivka, the Chasiv Yar area, and the Terny area towards Lyman.

Quote: "There is very fierce fighting there every day, but our guys are holding on. They are holding on quite confidently – the enemy's losses are huge. I think we will stabilise the situation soon and will do everything possible to prepare the troops to move towards more active operations and seize the initiative."

Source: Institute for the Understanding of War

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-6-2024

RUSSIAN OFFENSIVE CAMPAIGN ASSESSMENT, MARCH 6, 2024

Key Takeaways:

Ukrainian Ground Forces Commander Lieutenant General Oleksandr Pavlyuk stated on March 6 that Ukraine will try to seize the initiative and conduct unspecified counteroffensive actions in 2024...

... Russian forces recently made confirmed advances near Kupyansk and Donetsk City and in western Zaporizhia Oblast...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Endman posted:

yikes scoob