Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

I would put myself into the "I don't love Biden, but he's sure as poo poo better than the alternative."

I really hope this is the last gasp of the Boomer Generation of presidents. Its time for someone born in the 60s or 70s to take over.

Obama was born in 1961.

EDIT:

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1765396713051730112

I saw a lot of speculation that McConnell was withdrawing from leadership because he was not going to endorse Trump, but these people don't know ball.

Probably the same sort of speculators who also thought he totally would've voted to impeach Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

zoux posted:

Trump, ever gracious in victory, continues his bromides against a candidate who performed relatively well against him and whose voters say by supermajority margins they will never vote for Trump. "My opponents supporters are not allowed to vote for me" is an interesting electoral strategy.

For the record, "bromides" as statements are usually soothing or placating, so the term doesn't fit Trump.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eric Cantonese posted:

The story of the guy who ran against Marjorie Taylor Green in 2020 breaks my heart. He stepped up and it ruined his life.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-blog/why-marjorie-taylor-greenes-opponent-quit-the-house-race/E3TYSMAAPRDUPPB6F3BBQAFCME/

EDIT: The Washington Post piece is better, but behind a paywall. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/17/kevin-van-ausdal-qanon-marjorie-greene-georgia/?arc404=true

this poo poo reads like poo poo out of the citizen council days of jim crow, those fucks never died, they just got scared an embarrased.

in better news.
https://twitter.com/lxeagle17/status/1765414307129635303

this is probably the pressure that will matter.

Angry_Ed posted:

Probably the same sort of speculators who also thought he totally would've voted to impeach Trump.

reading his endorcement it reads like the most "sigh, fine sure i endorce trump" type endorcement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

For the record, "bromides" as statements are usually soothing or placating, so the term doesn't fit Trump.

Well, what word am I thinking of? Polemic? Maybe broadsides.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's a difference between polling being non-predictive right now vs. all polling being meaningless right now.

Yah, I agree what it does say is where the Biden campaign * might * have problems. But the Biden campaign communication won't hit until early summer, maybe late spring. Voters, in general, won't pay attention until after labor day about the election.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The NYT asks, who is this firey outsider (who is also the sitting Lt. Gov. )

quote:

Mr. Robinson has said that growing up poor in Greensboro had shaped his political philosophy. He wrote in his autobiography “We Are The Majority!” that his father was an alcoholic and abusive toward his mother, and that his parents relied on government assistance to support their 10 children. Mr. Robinson was the second youngest.

“Even as a child, I felt the imbalance, the wrongness of it,” Mr. Robinson wrote of the abuse. “At an early age, I began to think of the world in terms of what is fair or unfair, right or wrong.”

Like former President Donald J. Trump, Mr. Robinson has also expressed anger at the North American Free Trade Agreement for causing manufacturing jobs to shift from North Carolina to countries with lower labor costs in the ’90s. Mr. Robinson has said that the trade pact made him lose two jobs.

Economic anxiety!

quote:

Mr. Robinson has also been criticized for posting comments that were widely perceived as antisemitic and for quoting Adolf Hitler on Facebook. But he has insisted to reporters that he has never been antisemitic, pointing to a trip he took last fall to Israel and outreach he has made to Jewish organizations as evidence.

Not an anti semite! Out of context!

Well, maybe a little anti-semite.

From slate:

Firebrand!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

Economic anxiety!

From slate:

Firebrand!

yeah, i am sorta not shocked at all about the super abusive house hold. poo poo like that can gently caress people up in alot of ways.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Ryan Coogler is a public Satanist?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ryan Coogler is a public Satanist?

Black Panther is just one word from Black Mass.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

it's understandable, their entire antisemitism coverage team is posted full time at harvard, they just don't have the bandwidth to cover mr. "jews in hollywood stealing your shekels"

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Xombie posted:

I actually like gauging them based on their unprecedented post-integration support of the GOP by black voters. Or the fact that the poll is 100% "people who both pick up the phone for unlisted numbers and will have a conversation with the anonymous person on the other end".

They could avoid phone polls and instead use online opt-in polls like the one discussed a while back that 'showed' 20% of Americans under 30 believe “The Holocaust is a myth” (and just under half believe abortion should be illegal). That's also a good way to 'discover' that 12% of adults under 30 are licensed to operate a nuclear submarine, and that jumps to almost a quarter (24%) for Hispanics, even though records for licensing show much smaller numbers. https://www.pewresearch.org/short-r...ispanic-adults/

I'm really skeptical of polling as a science after seeing how often polls manage to capture completely absurd or even impossible results.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1765441064221987269

Biden to release statement saying that both Dean Phillips supporters are not welcome in the party.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

small butter posted:

Actually, you have other things you can look at, such as actual election results. There is a strong correlation between special election results and the subsequent general election results, especially when the swing is large (like Democrats getting +11 last year). And before you say "Gaza," note that the Democrats won big a month after the Gaza campaign started last year.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...six-years-later

https://abcnews.go.com/538/democrats-winning-big-special-elections/story?id=103315703

Republicans lost in 2022 with the highest inflation of my lifetime, alleged roving gangs committing crimes in the cities, and new stock market lows. Democrats had one of the best performances in the midterms as incumbents for a long time. How the gently caress are Republicans going to get a better environment than that in 2024, with Trump now under 4 indictments and owing money for fraud and rape, no less?

You can also see actual election results right now in which Trump is underperforming his primary polls and Biden overperforming.

Regarding polls this far out, I'll just keep repeating myself here:

I will keep saying this to everyone who will listen: the polls are still not predictive yet and are literal coin flips. They start to get marginally predictive around mid-April, not now, and their predictive power will increase very slowly but linearly until election day.

https://archives.cjr.org/united_states_project/its_way_too_early_for_2016_polls_to_be_predictive.php

Clinton was leading Trump by around 10 points in the summer of 2016 during which I remember reading The Economist with a "meltdown" cover story with Trump melting down.
Clinton was also leading until the day of the election. Everyone thought she was going to win easily.

One thing that is completely this time though is that both candidates are a well-known to the public and both served a term. Why would the perception change significantly between now and the election? Are many people going to wake up from a coma not knowing who either of them are? (Obviously a lot of things could happen, but we can't just assume they will move the needle one way).

So yeah you can never know with 100% certainty that polls are going to correctly predict an election, not in March, not the day before. But that a convicted fraudster and rapist with 90 other indictmetns hanging over his head is within the margin of error of a relatively scandal-free incumbent is pretty disconcerting.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Clinton was also leading until the day of the election. Everyone thought she was going to win easily.

One thing that is completely this time though is that both candidates are a well-known to the public and both served a term. Why would the perception change significantly between now and the election? Are many people going to wake up from a coma not knowing who either of them are? (Obviously a lot of things could happen, but we can't just assume they will move the needle one way).

So yeah you can never know with 100% certainty that polls are going to correctly predict an election, not in March, not the day before. But that a convicted fraudster and rapist with 90 other indictmetns hanging over his head is within the margin of error of a relatively scandal-free incumbent is pretty disconcerting.
you vastly overestimate how much people are paying attention. lots of people assuming Trump won't be the nominee, for example.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

you vastly overestimate how much people are paying attention. lots of people assuming Trump won't be the nominee, for example.

The front page of CNN is now full of different ways to say "it's gonna be biden-trump again" so this attitude probably isn't going to last much longer

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

The front page of CNN is now full of different ways to say "it's gonna be biden-trump again" so this attitude probably isn't going to last much longer

You underestimate how utterly ignorant the average American is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Did I really manage to over-estimate the general public despite trying to be aware of that :negative:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's Trump vs. Obama, just like in 2014

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Economic anxiety!

From slate:

Firebrand!

Seriously, what the hell is going on at the New York Times lately? It's getting ridiculous.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Seriously, what the hell is going on at the New York Times lately? It's getting ridiculous.

they are uber rich out of touch liberals who write for out of touch assholes and huff their own farts. they are also bored that stuffs boring . also capitalism too or something.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

It's a family company. The current guy Arthur Gregg Sulzberger took the baton in 2018 and seems to kinda suck. The current direction of coverage is deliberate;

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 6, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

DaveWoo posted:

If they quote Robinson accurately, it'll seem like bias. He's that loving deranged.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

And somehow the Dems are the party that's picking up the anti-semetic rep

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

if you asked the "average person on the street" what the differences were between, for example, Hamas, The PLO, Hezbollah, Al Queda, ISIS, the Baader Meinhof Gang and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band was they wouldn't loving know.

:911: :suicide:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 6, 2024

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Angry_Ed posted:

The poll with the question “should we bomb Agrabah” was the one that finally broke me

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

As this election gets closer I am getting more and more pessimistic about Biden losing. I just don’t get the impression that the WH has any idea that he is not popular and also that he just has a lot of underlying issues that are not going to improve before November. Voters are not going to get over the age thing. People are also pissed about the economy even if inflation has gone down compared to where it was in 2021/2022. They seem to think that Trump’s legal scandals will sink him but he’s always had some degree of that and it didn’t stop him from getting elected the first time. It’s also almost a certainty that he will not get convicted of anything before November with his trials all getting held up. There are a ton of warning signs for Biden and at least right now I see no indication that the WH is going to do anything to change course.

The Biden campaign is definitely well aware of his general unpopularity as well the voter discontent with his age and the current economic conditions. They're in fact putting in a fair amount of effort on messaging about those exact issues (although the campaign isn't really running at full blast yet, since it's still early in the season), as well as trying to push specific policies intended to address those issues. It's just that nobody is actually paying attention to any of that.

The White House definitely does not think they've got this in the bag. In particular, voter perceptions of the economy have been something the Biden administration has been targeting quite fiercely for these entire four years. If you feel like they're being complacent about that and not taking it seriously, then you're not paying attention. That's not a dig on you specifically, by the way - apparently, nobody else is really paying attention either, and that's definitely having an impact on the polls right now.

Whether people start paying attention in the next few months is going to matter quite a bit. The general election campaign season hasn't really started yet and both campaigns are waiting till later to really open up their spending, so it could possibly just be that. Due to that, trying to read the tea leaves this far out is probably a fool's errand. But the fact that Trump is even a viable candidate at all after the last few years is not a great sign.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I haven't gotten the impression the public really cares that much about the border poo poo. Like, it sucks, but the average Dem voter seems to also suck on this one. The people who don't like it don't consider it a priority.

Polling has consistently suggested that the border is the #2 most important issue to the American public right now, second only to inflation.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And somehow the Dems are the party that's picking up the anti-semetic rep

Words don't have actual meanings for fascists.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Economic anxiety!

From slate:

Firebrand!

fwiw Lt Governor in NC is a nothing position without any actual power.

Roy Cooper won reelection in 2020 even as the state went to Trump.

This idiot is going to get dog walked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

fwiw Lt Governor in NC is a nothing position without any actual power.

Roy Cooper won reelection in 2020 even as the state went to Trump.

This idiot is going to get dog walked.

Josh Stein is pretty popular then?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Big Pharma is “coming to the table” on price negotiations as it loses in court
Federal health officials this week trumpeted progress in negotiating lower Medicare drug prices as big pharmaceutical companies faced another legal loss in their efforts to have the negotiations ruled unconstitutional.

This week, the Department of Health and Human Services announced that it had received the first counteroffers from pharmaceutical makers for all 10 drugs up for price negotiation. The negotiations—a provision in the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022—kicked off late last year with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) announcing the 10 drugs selected for bargaining. Those 10 drugs have seen significant price hikes over recent years and, combined, cost Medicare $50.5 billion in gross during 2022, with an additional $3.4 billion in out-of-pocket costs for patients. The health department sent its opening pricing offers to drug makers on February 1.

"We are committed to constructive dialogue and are glad the drug companies are coming to the table," HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra said in a statement. "These are good-faith, up front negotiations," he said, which will "keep money in the pockets of millions of Americans instead of Big Pharma."

CMS Administrator Chiquita Brooks-LaSure called the receipt of counteroffers "another negotiation milestone."

But while the big pharmaceutical companies are at the bargaining table, they're also in the courts trying to get judges to strike down the negotiations as unconstitutional. The pharmaceutical industry has filed at least nine lawsuits around the country challenging the negotiations. So far, it's not going well.

Last month, a federal judge in Texas dismissed a lawsuit brought in part by the heavy-hitting pharmaceutical trade group PhRMA. US District Judge David Ezra in Austin ruled that the court lacked jurisdiction for the case because the plaintiffs' claims must first go through an internal review process with the CMS, as required by the Medicare Act.

And last week, a federal judge in Delaware dismissed a similar case brought by AstraZeneca—though for different reasons. In his 47-page ruling, US District Judge Colm Connolly provided a biting critique of AstraZeneca's claims that the negotiations injure the company and violate its Fifth Amendment right to prevent the government from depriving it of property without due process.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/03/big-pharma-is-coming-to-the-table-on-price-negotiations-as-it-loses-in-court/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mobby_6kl posted:

Generally there is a big shift in how accurately pollsters are able to capture active intent to vote the closer you get to the election date.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Polling has consistently suggested that the border is the #2 most important issue to the American public right now, second only to inflation.

Which is gobsmacking because "the border" is just racism rebranded. Every actual study or analysis of immigration ever shows a massive net benefit to society from immigrants and a massive problem from cutting off Immigration. It's even true of the goddam Roman Empire. (https://acoup.blog/2021/07/16/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-iii-bigotry-and-diversity-at-rome/ )

The left wing failure to fight this issue is just utterly shameful.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Which is gobsmacking because "the border" is just racism rebranded. Every actual study or analysis of immigration ever shows a massive net benefit to society from immigrants and a massive problem from cutting off Immigration. It's even true of the goddam Roman Empire. (https://acoup.blog/2021/07/16/collections-the-queens-latin-or-who-were-the-romans-part-iii-bigotry-and-diversity-at-rome/ )

Seriously. Theres so much potential for (correctly) framing the immigration situation as opportunity for the country but somehow there's no movement in that direction. It's pathetic.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

To be fair, illegal immigration has a minor net impact on the economy. It lowers costs for employers, slightly increases tax revenues, moderately increases public expenditures, slightly lowers wages and inflation, and slightly increases housing costs. It can be a slight net benefit or slight net hindrance overall and can be more more significantly bad and good locally than nationally.

Legal immigration (and legalizing those currently here illegally) significantly increases tax revenues, increases private expenditures, and increases GDP on average.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4235135/

So, saying that illegal immigration can be bad for society isn't technically wrong, but the people saying that are usually also against fixing the legal immigration system or increasing legal immigration.

Polls pretty consistently show that Americans are okay with immigration in general, but very against people doing it "the wrong way" and the risks of not knowing who is coming. Despite America's rightward turn on immigration, it is still more immigration-positive than most of Europe and still generally in favor of legal immigration.

There's also actual legitimate issues with using the asylum system as our de facto legal immigration process when it was only meant to handle about 10% of total immigration into the country. The ideal solution would be to update the legal immigration system outside of asylum so it can work as intended. That just hasn't happened since 1987.

There's a huge swath of people against immigration for "cultural" reasons and they will never be swayed one way or the other. There's also a large chunk of people who are really bothered by illegal immigration, but not by immigration as a concept. I don't think the current concern about the border is necessarily reflective of America pulling an EU-style political turn of being against most immigration entirely.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

small butter posted:

Actually, you have other things you can look at, such as actual election results. There is a strong correlation between special election results and the subsequent general election results, especially when the swing is large (like Democrats getting +11 last year). And before you say "Gaza," note that the Democrats won big a month after the Gaza campaign started last year.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...six-years-later

https://abcnews.go.com/538/democrats-winning-big-special-elections/story?id=103315703

Republicans lost in 2022 with the highest inflation of my lifetime, alleged roving gangs committing crimes in the cities, and new stock market lows. Democrats had one of the best performances in the midterms as incumbents for a long time. How the gently caress are Republicans going to get a better environment than that in 2024, with Trump now under 4 indictments and owing money for fraud and rape, no less?

You can also see actual election results right now in which Trump is underperforming his primary polls and Biden overperforming.

Regarding polls this far out, I'll just keep repeating myself here:

I will keep saying this to everyone who will listen: the polls are still not predictive yet and are literal coin flips. They start to get marginally predictive around mid-April, not now, and their predictive power will increase very slowly but linearly until election day.

https://archives.cjr.org/united_states_project/its_way_too_early_for_2016_polls_to_be_predictive.php

Clinton was leading Trump by around 10 points in the summer of 2016 during which I remember reading The Economist with a "meltdown" cover story with Trump melting down.

It's 250 days until election and according to that chart you've posted it's showing that ~50% of the variation in the final result can be explained by polling data. That doesn't make it a coin flip, nor does it mean that polls at this point have no predictive power, for that to be true your r^2 value would be at zero as it is at 300 days out?

hooman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

zoux posted:

Trump, ever gracious in victory, continues his bromides against a candidate who performed relatively well against him and whose voters say by supermajority margins they will never vote for Trump. "My opponents supporters are not allowed to vote for me" is an interesting electoral strategy.

To be fair it looks like this truth social post was in January so this wasn't a post drop out jab at her, just him being a usual prick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hard to shake the feeling that the southern governors read the temperature correctly and that shipping a bunch of people up north won. The media was more then happy to lean into people's fears, and combine that with the particular say, monstrosity that the NYPD / mayor / governor have gone for, seems to have successfully moved the needle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

To be specific, according to the CBO, even illegal immigration is overall a small net benefit for the country as a whole, but it is a small net negative for state and local governments.

Legal immigration is a significant net positive for both.

quote:

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) found that "over the past two decades, most efforts to estimate the fiscal impact of immigration in the United States have concluded that, in aggregate and over the long term, tax revenues of all types generated by immigrants—both legal and unauthorized—exceed the cost of the services they use." While the overall fiscal impact on the US is beneficial, unauthorized immigrants have an adverse impact on the budgets of state and local governments. While cautioning that the reports are not a suitable basis for developing an aggregate national effect across all states, they concluded that:

"State and local governments incur costs for providing services to unauthorized immigrants and have limited options for avoiding or minimizing those costs";

"The amount that state and local governments spend on services for unauthorized immigrants represents a small percentage of the total amount spent by those governments to provide such services to residents in their jurisdictions";

"The tax revenues that unauthorized immigrants generate for state and local governments do not offset the total cost of services provided to those immigrants"; and

"Federal aid programs offer resources to state and local governments that provide services to unauthorized immigrants, but those funds do not fully cover the costs incurred by those governments."

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/110th-congress-2007-2008/reports/12-6-immigration.pdf

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wang posted:

To be fair it looks like this truth social post was in January so this wasn't a post drop out jab at her, just him being a usual prick.

Oh I must've grabbed the wrong one, here's last night

ah, ok I got it from Biden's campaign tweet

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1765396693036523717

I was misled by Lyin Joe Bydin

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
capitalizing "great republican party" is weird when its already the gop. he's a weird dude, i'm realizing