Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I assume they've been adding duty support because their market research shows there are a load of FF fans who haven't tried XIV because they don't want to play an MMO, and this can get them sucked in. So probably if they have some numbers suggesting that the start is a significant barrier they might look harder at how to improve it.

More broadly, I believe SE is concerned over the accessibility of mainline titles as time goes on. While there's no immediate concern over FFXIV getting shut down, it's probable the servers will go dark at some point, and I think the idea of people not being able to play a mainline FF game doesn't sit well with management. Making the game available solely as a singleplayer experience benefits both immediate onboarding and futureproofing the title so that people can still enjoy it 20 years in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ha. I tried Duty Support for one dungeon to figure out my controls, and I don't want to use it again.

There's something about playing with real people, even if we're a team of randos with no communication, that makes it fun

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Ha. I tried Duty Support for one dungeon to figure out my controls, and I don't want to use it again.

There's something about playing with real people, even if we're a team of randos with no communication, that makes it fun

Yeah it's useful for people playing DPS and/or at odd hours to deal with queues, or for people with big anxiety, but I much prefer playing with real people. Means things aren't always exactly the same even if they're basically the same, and if there's some kind of fuckup or weird happening then it's something to laugh about

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Later on the NPCs aren't an unnamed crew but your MSQ pals. The game tends away from the solo WoL "party" and more to a usual FF-style group of characters solving the world's problems together and for some of us it feels good to do the canon run of dungeons with the party members who have been with you up to that point. This change to your fellow Scions actually working with the WoL in a more tangible way is one of the ways the MSQ gets better in later expansions IMO.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Sunday Morning posted:

Later on the NPCs aren't an unnamed crew but your MSQ pals. The game tends away from the solo WoL "party" and more to a usual FF-style group of characters solving the world's problems together and for some of us it feels good to do the canon run of dungeons with the party members who have been with you up to that point. This change to your fellow Scions actually working with the WoL in a more tangible way is one of the ways the MSQ gets better in later expansions IMO.
I'm still shocked that they used generic NPCs and not the actual Scions hanging out in the Waking Sands. Arenvald is right there!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, there are a lot of B-teamers that are just milling about and you don't get much more than a textbox or two out of them for a long time, assuming they get any arcs later on like Arenvald.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

When Duty Support starts actually giving extra dialogue tidbits and fun class-role implications with NPCs you've been given time to get attached to, it's more worth doing for its own sake rather than, say, just to skip the queue for leveling DPS on off-hours.

When it started getting patched into older content (originally it was just in Shadowbringers and Endwalker), people had some fun seeing exactly what got added. In ARR Duty Support NPCs are all generic but you get to watch their careers progress. In HW onwards Duty Support is mostly story-relevant NPCs you have with you at the time so it feels like you have an adventuring party.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think duty support becomes useful the later you go as a nice learning experience for more complicated boss mechanics, if you're someone like me who gets anxiety about not knowing mechanics when playing with other people. And yeah, having actual named characters with dialogue means that I'm pretty much always going to do them that way first from now on

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
the other advantage of Duty Support is that you always win the loot roll.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I always first-run a new one with DS or Trust if it's available. If it's really, really important, say an expansion-ending trial or something, I"m usually Twitch streaming it and can get at least a half party of yosposters to hop on, we fill it out and fight it out that way.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
absolutely seconding the idea of starting duty support when you get into heavensward at least, to see all the fun little lines and interactions they added

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

YggiDee posted:

the other advantage of Duty Support is that you always win the loot roll.

It might not matter that much going through ARR but yeah this becomes really nice moving forward

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

please tell me these Titan banquet quests are going pay off at some point

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

it's a long, rolling, weird and elaborate payoff that comes in spurs over years and years of the game as the characters recur, but it's there

if nothing else you can tell them you still hate them for it all the way in endwalker

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

weirdly I don't mind this questline, it feels very deliberately low stakes and relaxed and I'm willing to see where they're going with it

this turned into the "Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes" of FFXIV questlines - it's so boring that it's become interesting again

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 6, 2024

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know if you're done the questline yet, but the whole point of it is that they want to ignore you and bury you in stupid tasks so you go away, because each one of them witnessed tons of death and lost friends and allies last time someone tried to fight Titan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Titan msq has a punchline, at least

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't know if you're done the questline yet, but the whole point of it is that they want to ignore you and bury you in stupid tasks so you go away, because each one of them witnessed tons of death and lost friends and allies last time someone tried to fight Titan.

That's... huh. The questline is still a bit of an embugerance but that is an interesting point especially given what happens right after.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I think one of the big takeaways from that quest line is what the Company of Heroes says about prior efforts to stop Primals, with waves of attackers to fight both the Primal and those who were inevitably tempered -- a huge loss of life even when it works. Everybody knows someone has to fight Titan, but they're throwing all the bullshit tests at you to make sure that you're not just an idiot throwing your life away, especially since the concept of the WoL being immune to tempering is still unfamiliar at this point.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also the whole (Lv 30)Waking Sands massacre business.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 6, 2024

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Whatever you do don't accidentally mouse over the spoiler in the post above mine. A big spoiler hidden in a tiny post.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So as I reached the end of Heavensward (this time), and when whoever it was had the bright idea to just toss Nidhogg's eyes off a cliff (instead of like - somewhere SAFE and guarded), I was like "that's dumb. Like super dumb." Lock in a vault? Toss them into lava? Seal into a lead container and toss it in the ocean, but not just "I'm sure no one will find it if we just toss it off this bridge". C'mon, son! I mean what's the bridge spanning? An infinite abyss? Even if you tossed it off of a cliff in Sea of Clouds - it still has to land SOMEWHERE right?

So now I just finished Baelsar's Wall, and I was right. Extra dumb. Even dumber since Papalymo had to die because of that stupid decision.

In short - writers - please stop having your characters do willfully stupid things, when you have previously spent many HOURS convincing me they are reasonably smart, careful people. There's no satisfaction in the resolution. This was not a "noble sacrifice" it was "character has to pay for the stupid mistake that no one would ever ACTUALLY do earlier."

That is all.

Wait. Was it Alphinaud's idea? Not that surprising, since he complains about the cold in Ishgard literally the first time he arrives there, and several other times throughout HW, yet never buys a loving COAT. So I guess I already knew he wasn't that smart.

But I can't recall if it was him or Aymeric who was like "quick! toss into the Abyss".

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

HaB posted:

So as I reached the end of Heavensward (this time), and when whoever it was had the bright idea to just toss Nidhogg's eyes off a cliff (instead of like - somewhere SAFE and guarded), I was like "that's dumb. Like super dumb." Lock in a vault? Toss them into lava? Seal into a lead container and toss it in the ocean, but not just "I'm sure no one will find it if we just toss it off this bridge". C'mon, son! I mean what's the bridge spanning? An infinite abyss? Even if you tossed it off of a cliff in Sea of Clouds - it still has to land SOMEWHERE right?

So now I just finished Baelsar's Wall, and I was right. Extra dumb. Even dumber since Papalymo had to die because of that stupid decision.

In short - writers - please stop having your characters do willfully stupid things, when you have previously spent many HOURS convincing me they are reasonably smart, careful people. There's no satisfaction in the resolution. This was not a "noble sacrifice" it was "character has to pay for the stupid mistake that no one would ever ACTUALLY do earlier."

That is all.

Wait. Was it Alphinaud's idea? Not that surprising, since he complains about the cold in Ishgard literally the first time he arrives there, and several other times throughout HW, yet never buys a loving COAT. So I guess I already knew he wasn't that smart.

But I can't recall if it was him or Aymeric who was like "quick! toss into the Abyss".
To be completely fair to Aymeric (it was him), the abyss in question is a maelstrom of wind and water aether that will kill anyone stupid enough to set foot in there. Unfortunately, he forgot that you're dealing with incorporeal foes who don't necessarily have bodies to kill, and the Eyes weren't destroyed by it, just frozen.

That said, it's not like locking them in a vault would have helped much on that front either, when Ascians could just teleport inside and bypass all security.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 6, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yeah, even at that point you're really not much able to comprehend the sheer scope of what the ascians ARE let alone what they could think of doing. it's a fair assumption that they would need a corporeal body to try and fish the eyes out, which would get shredded. a couple expansions later you can say "oh yeah obviously their magic would be able to handle that" but in-universe, not then. the reason estinien can just poke them and they pop at the end of stormblood is that by then they had run out of juice anyway

all this is actually stated at some point or another during or after the relevant events, it's just a blink-and-you-miss-it detail that isn't very well pointed out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do think that's about the last time a major plot beat that comes off as goodguys being stupid rather than badguys being smart. Or at least, the last time enough people interpret events that way to the point where it's a common complaint, at least.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

we should've thrown Alphinaud into the abyss instead

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sunday Morning posted:

Whatever you do don't accidentally mouse over the spoiler in the post above mine. A big spoiler hidden in a tiny post.

*Chris Farley voice* fat spoiler in a little pooost

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also the whole (Lv 30)Waking Sands massacre business.

Yeah how about that? Pretty clever of them to spend 30 hours lulling me into thinking nothing interesting was going to happen

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

GilliamYaeger posted:

To be completely fair to Aymeric (it was him), the abyss in question is a maelstrom of wind and water aether that will kill anyone stupid enough to set foot in there.
One issue is I don't believe the game clearly points out what's going on under Ishgard. Explaining that there's swirling aether is either done by a non-mandatory NPC you can talk to or in one of the encyclopedias. If it is mentioned during an MSQ cutscene then most everyone seems to miss it, including myself.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I'm having to do a bunch of the stuff in the Golden saucer to get that limited time car mount because I didn't have any MGP saved up. I guess I'll give my review of the various things to do there.

GATES: I don't really like these very much. Having to sit around waiting for one to start to reliably get your 3 wins/5 plays is kind of annoying. It seems like most of these are jumping puzzles too. Which I'm not especially fond of. There's also a couple that are basically.

Chocobo Racing: Alright. There seems like there might be an interesting progression here, though I'm not very far in it. The Challenge Log's requirements have you doing a lot of races to get that reward.

Minigames: There seem like there's basically 2-3 ones with various reskins. They aren't very interesting, and I wouldn't really do them outside the weekly, but at least the weekly has really mild requirements.

Verminion: I was expecting this to be pokemon battler, not an RTS. I had fun the few times I played it, though I didn't try any games against real people since you didn't need to in order to get the weekly. This is easily the second-quickest source of MGP after the fashion week (with a fashion guide)

Triple Triad: This is the stand-out here for me. Some of the rules like "Plus" I needed to look up some better explanations for. But I really enjoy this game. And the tournaments to fulfill the weekly are short 3 round things, and both times I've played it's been draft, so that makes it nice and fair regardless of your deck collection.

Mini/Large Cactpot: It's a lottery, what else is there to say.

Fashion Week: This is kind a neat idea. It gets people thinking about the endgame fashion grind, and encourages themes. My first time actually trying to make an appropriate look was last week, where I did the cowboy outfit, and I like that so much I saved a glamour plate of it, so bonus points for that. Also the quickest and easiet way to get MGP.

Mahjong: I only "played" one game. But as I said earlier I hadn't the foggiest notion of how to play. I'm very surprised they don't require you to at least win a tutorial before playing people. I don't think I'll be aiming for any weeklies for this, unless I take the time to actually understand the game. As even a "short" game was like 30 minutes with no way to back out. Obviously can't really speak to its quality since I don't understand the game, but I'll take everyone's word that it's really well-made.

The golden saucer music is also kind of driving me mad sitting around for these, and I wish there was a way to turn off specific music (like there is for the chocobo mount music) because I don't necessarily want to turn off ALL music, but ugh...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GilliamYaeger posted:

To be completely fair to Aymeric (it was him), the abyss in question is a maelstrom of wind and water aether that will kill anyone stupid enough to set foot in there. Unfortunately, he forgot that you're dealing with incorporeal foes who don't necessarily have bodies to kill, and the Eyes weren't destroyed by it, just frozen.

That said, it's not like locking them in a vault would have helped much on that front either, when Ascians could just teleport inside and bypass all security.

I also took it as a sort of panic response, too -- "oh gently caress, we need to get rid of these RIGHT NOW, use the bottomless pit!" I can see deciding in the heat of the moment that that's safer than having someone carry them back to Ishgard, given how plausible it is that Nidhogg's spirit could rally and possess/transform anyone carrying even one Eye at that point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah, it wasn't a bad decision. Just one of his eyes was enough to take over Estinian in the ARR dragoon quests. A second eye + plus some of his blood on Estinian's armor was enough to not only take over his mind but transform his entire body. Immediately tossing the eyes into an abyss that should destroy anything is a solid move.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gambling Is Cool

Escape/Main Menu, System Config, Click Master Volume or BGM. There's plenty of no in-game sound content I do, or the mood hits for game music or my own, so this has made its way into my muscle memory.

Don't forget that Triple Triad feeds you free MGP every week through the Battlehall too, it has separate log entries for stomping the NPCs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can macro a lot of sound controls too. I typically have a /bgm 0 and /bgm 80 on a utility hotbar, but you can text command them just as easily.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I'm having to do a bunch of the stuff in the Golden saucer to get that limited time car mount because I didn't have any MGP saved up. I guess I'll give my review of the various things to do there.

GATES: I don't really like these very much. Having to sit around waiting for one to start to reliably get your 3 wins/5 plays is kind of annoying. It seems like most of these are jumping puzzles too. Which I'm not especially fond of. There's also a couple that are basically.

Chocobo Racing: Alright. There seems like there might be an interesting progression here, though I'm not very far in it. The Challenge Log's requirements have you doing a lot of races to get that reward.

Minigames: There seem like there's basically 2-3 ones with various reskins. They aren't very interesting, and I wouldn't really do them outside the weekly, but at least the weekly has really mild requirements.

Verminion: I was expecting this to be pokemon battler, not an RTS. I had fun the few times I played it, though I didn't try any games against real people since you didn't need to in order to get the weekly. This is easily the second-quickest source of MGP after the fashion week (with a fashion guide)

Triple Triad: This is the stand-out here for me. Some of the rules like "Plus" I needed to look up some better explanations for. But I really enjoy this game. And the tournaments to fulfill the weekly are short 3 round things, and both times I've played it's been draft, so that makes it nice and fair regardless of your deck collection.

Mini/Large Cactpot: It's a lottery, what else is there to say.

Fashion Week: This is kind a neat idea. It gets people thinking about the endgame fashion grind, and encourages themes. My first time actually trying to make an appropriate look was last week, where I did the cowboy outfit, and I like that so much I saved a glamour plate of it, so bonus points for that. Also the quickest and easiet way to get MGP.

Mahjong: I only "played" one game. But as I said earlier I hadn't the foggiest notion of how to play. I'm very surprised they don't require you to at least win a tutorial before playing people. I don't think I'll be aiming for any weeklies for this, unless I take the time to actually understand the game. As even a "short" game was like 30 minutes with no way to back out. Obviously can't really speak to its quality since I don't understand the game, but I'll take everyone's word that it's really well-made.

The golden saucer music is also kind of driving me mad sitting around for these, and I wish there was a way to turn off specific music (like there is for the chocobo mount music) because I don't necessarily want to turn off ALL music, but ugh...

If you're not opposed to using illegal mods, dalamud has an orchestrion plugin that lets you change the music to whatever you want. It was a lifesaver when I was grinding out mats on my animal crossing island (not really sure if this counts as a spoiler but spoiling just in case, as it's a new gameplay element that wss added in EW)

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Looking at the Kaiyoko Star Reddit is a really good way to make maximum points for minimum effort every Fashion Week. (There is also a Twitter.) It sometimes takes the community a day or two to figure out the most optimum combinations, but once they do, getting 60k points is usually just a question of slopping on five or six cheap dyes or maybe getting a couple of cheap outfit parts.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

You can macro a lot of sound controls too. I typically have a /bgm 0 and /bgm 80 on a utility hotbar, but you can text command them just as easily.

I have /bgm without a number on a utility hotbar, that toggles it on or off. Saves a hotbar slot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Nitrousoxide posted:

The Mining/Logging minigames at the Verminion hub might actually be your best MGP per minute once you've exhausted the challenge log. Out on a Limb can payout over 400 MGP if you're good.

Chocobo Racing is an excellent way to lose your goddamn mind if you want to do anything past "race the first bird you get for challenge log". there are some very weird systems in there that have been untouched for, like, five years. you will spend all your MGP on bird feed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

You just made my day.

Is there any way to macro adjusting the framerate cap? I don't need 144 fps idling in limsa and my computer just sits there roasting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

You just made my day.

Is there any way to macro adjusting the framerate cap? I don't need 144 fps idling in limsa and my computer just sits there roasting

No, but there's a checkbox for "limit FPS when client inactive" and if you alt-tab it changes your FPS limit temporarily to 15.