Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Daeran is in fact a piece of poo poo and the game makes no bones about it.

Which is the main reason I like him as a character (I personally prefer him over Astarion from BG3). If they tried to justify his behaviour, give him some redemption arc, suggest that he has a heart of gold hidden somewhere deep, I would dislike it, but no, he's a dick, he knows it, he embraces it and game does not pretend otherwise. I think the only person he's nice for is Ember.

achtungnight posted:

I personally don’t see Nenio as asexual, just not attracted to the player. But others are free to indulge their own preferences, I suppose.

I could swear that during one of her personal quests she states that she sees intercourse purely as a scientific matter and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I like Astarion more then Daeran, but a lot of that probably comes down to the incredible performance by Astarion's actor and he's probably the single best overall character in that game. Daeran's still really great and I've used them pretty heavily in every playthrough I did of Wrath except for Angel.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Szarrukin posted:

I could swear that during one of her personal quests she states that she sees intercourse purely as a scientific matter and nothing else.

I must have missed that, but then this game has lots of dialogue I haven't seen. I was basing my opinion on what she says in response to your friend zoning her in another personal quest. But I suppose that could come across as ace also and I am inserting my own personal bias again. :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Things I never thought I'd say in this LP: I personally am electing to not worry about Nenio's sexuality. I'll make note of it if she volunteers the information but as it is she is not a romance option in the game and I am not interested in having Yua try.

The other character vets are thinking of, I do know explicitly states that they have no interest in nudity, sexuality, or romantic affection.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I like Nenio's gimmick, but I can see how someone would get absolutely sick of it 50 hours in

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I can't really say anything for Nino as a person but she seems like a lot of fun. I can see how the gimmick would get annoying but mostly I find it interesting, especially since I personally don't know all that much about the setting so I'm learning just as much as she is. Or well, less since she already knows most of this stuff, but I enjoy getting that knowledge and lore.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I read all of Nenio's dialogue with a Southern affectation because she calls me "boy" at every interaction and that's how people talk around here.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Vargatron posted:

I read all of Nenio's dialogue with a Southern affectation because she calls me "boy" at every interaction and that's how people talk around here.

She calls you by your gender because she doesn't bother to remember people's names.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ChaosStar0 posted:

She calls you by your gender because she doesn't bother to remember people's names.

Yes, I know. It's just funny how it reads in my head.

Edit: I've played through the whole game just about. I'm just not posting spoilers to points to where the LP hasn't got to yet.

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 6, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vargatron posted:

She doesn't call anyone 'sugar' or 'honey' so she doesn't match Southern mannerisms for my part of the South.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cythereal posted:

She doesn't call anyone 'sugar' or 'honey' so she doesn't match Southern mannerisms for my part of the South.

Yeah I know. It's just a Me thing lol.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I’m intrigued as to why you put ‘no’ for Nenio’s fixability.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
She doesn't need fixing. And not all character development is fixing.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Personally I’m not sure what “can I fix this character?” means. Personality improvement is a matter of opinion. I’ve seen a lot of character builds out there that improve characters in various ways. But for this, what exactly are we trying to fix? If the OP wants to answer, of course.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AJ_Impy posted:

I'm using that mostly as a 'Can this character's personality and behavior change in noteworthy ways based on your actions?'

And with Nenio, the answer is a firm no. You can find out why she is the way that she is (in part, at any rate) and how she wound up in this position, but she's still going to be Nenio and she's still going to act like she did when you first met her.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
That’s reasonable.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, that explanation makes sense for me too. Thanks.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I thought that line was about making their character builds work better, crunchy-mechanics-wise and all those NPCs with the "no" answear just had irrepairably bad character sheets like completely wrong feats or ability scores.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanthulhu posted:

I thought that line was about making their character builds work better, crunchy-mechanics-wise and all those NPCs with the "no" answear just had irrepairably bad character sheets like completely wrong feats or ability scores.

Ah, no.

Actually, most characters in Wrath can do perfectly fine taking their starting class straight to 20.

Woljiff is the closest we've come so far to a mediocre companion, and even then he's mostly just a victim of 'There's another class/kit that can do everything his starting one does but better.'

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Woljiff is kind of a victim of his class being a caster variant of the rogue class, but losing a lot of the single class features that makes rogue so powerful. He can be an extremely powerful tank if prestiged to a Duelist, but it doesn't really take off until late game.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Cythereal posted:

Woljiff is the closest we've come so far to a mediocre companion, and even then he's mostly just a victim of 'There's another class/kit that can do everything his starting one does but better.'

If you're talking about Arcane Trickster, then no. Arcane Trickster is for casters who want some rogue features. Eldritch Scoundrel is meant to be a Rogue with spells to buff himself. Very different playstyles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ChaosStar0 posted:

If you're talking about Arcane Trickster, then no. Arcane Trickster is for casters who want some rogue features. Eldritch Scoundrel is meant to be a Rogue with spells to buff himself. Very different playstyles.

I was talking about Vivisectionist.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Cythereal posted:

I was talking about Vivisectionist.

I don't see it. Vivisectionist is vastly different from Eldritch Scoundrel. Yes, it has full sneak attack progression, but it doesn't really take advantage of that with its mixtures. Eldritch Scoundrel has access to the Wizard spellbook, which has many better buffing spells than the Alchemist spellbook. Alchemist don't get Greater Heroism, the Mass Stat Spells, Protection from Alignment, and even extremely useful CC spells like Sleep and Grease. What they get instead looks to be healing, which is something Woljif shouldn't be doing as you have companions better suited to that. Vivisectionists also don't get Rogue Talents, Trap Sense, Debilitating Injury, Evasion. Really, Vivisectionist and Eldritch Scoundrel have almost nothing in common with each other except being sneak attackers who can cast spells.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Alchemists don’t get Grease? That’s unfortunate. Then again, you don’t exactly need that spell often on low difficulty. Still nice to have, though.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 7, 2024

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
For anyone who hasn't played these games: not being able to pick up Grease is a pretty serious problem for a combat caster. Basically, if your first-level arcane casters are not completely filling their spell list with grease, you have nobody but yourself to blame any time you lose a fight.

Grease is, without exception, the best low-level combat spell. It doesn't care about your hit dice, it persists round to round to continue applying its debuff even if your enemies make the reflex save the first time, and it lasts an absolutely ridiculous, completely crazy one minute per caster level. It does the most horrible thing you can do to an enemy, which is to take away their turn, not to mention that your melee can now slice them up more or less with impunity and get even more damage when the enemy stands up because standing up provokes opportunity attacks. As long as you can be careful not to put it where it gets in your way, there basically aren't any downsides. Cast it in every fight you have any problems with unless the enemies are immune to it due to flight or having hundreds of legs.

That said, I wouldn't see a vivisectionist as a combat caster per se; feels like it's better suited to self-buffs and physical sneak attack damage, especially considering mutagen. (Which presumably is why the comparison with eldritch scoundrels, who do also serve that role.) Having access to some healing on top of that isn't bad.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Grease is good. PnP alchemists can get grease as a discovery for their bombs, but I guess that didn't make it into the game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Vivi is absolutely a better "rogue + caster" then Eldritch Scoundrel. Alchemist imo has better combat buffs in its spell list, but even if you disagree there, alchemist has full access to mutagens and the upgrades to that. The wizard spellbook isn't terrible for buffs, but the alchemist spellbook has most of the same buffs, and arcane spellbook in general is more built around things that require you focus on their primary casting attribute, whereas a vivi can focus on their combat attribute and not worry about their spell DCs.

Like, yeah, vivisectionist doesn't get grease. But Woljif is a rogue, so his save DC is never going to be high enough to be your primary control spell caster anyways. And if it was, then he'd be better served as a full caster, not a rogue with some caster ability.

That said we already have our champion grease caster, and her name is Nenio. Throw selective spell on that bad boy and it makes Act 1 into easy mode almost regardless of difficulty (Unfair remains unfair, don't play Unfair difficulty).

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Do this system really need 3 different sneaky mage classes?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gun Jam posted:

Welcome to Pathfinder in general and Owlcat in particular.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Vivisectionist isn't really a sneaky class - they don't even get Stealth as a class skill - they're just a good damage dealing class that happens to do so via sneak attack.

But yeah,

Cythereal posted:

Welcome to Pathfinder in general and Owlcat in particular.

when you're talking about 26 base classes and closing in on ~180 archetypes of those base classes, there absolutely will be overlap.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't think Kingmaker had any NPCs with an archetype, except maybe one or two. Pretty much every NPC except a couple have an archetype in WOTR.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fortunately, we've now full up on companions who join during Act 1 unless you count mercenaries, which I'll demonstrate later.

All told, they cover a good set of niches.

Seelah is a tanky (insofar as that means anything in this game) front line fighter.

Cammy is an excellent front line damage dealer with absurd support capability.

Lann and Wenduag are murder machines at range.

Woljiff is a glass cannon at range or in melee and can buff himself.

Ember and Nenio are both powerful spellcasters with a mix of directly offensive and support spells.

Daeran is a healer and buffbot par excellence.

Future companions are mostly going to be variations on these roles rather than bringing anything particularly new to the table. And anyone with a high trickery skill (Woljiff and Cammy by default of the companions we have right now, and Seelah can be developed into it if you want) can cover the traditional thief locks and traps duties.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I don't think Kingmaker had any NPCs with an archetype, except maybe one or two. Pretty much every NPC except a couple have an archetype in WOTR.
Valerie, Tristian, Regongar, Nok-nok and Kanerah all start with levels in archetype classes. Wrath's party is a lot more gimmicky but I suspect that's on purpose, they wanted to showcase new kits.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Vargatron posted:

5-10 out of the 12-19, depending on path and decisions you make, companions have the base kit. That's actually a big amount. 5 Base, 4 in the Lich path, 1 in Angel, Aeon, Legend, or Gold Dragon paths

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gun Jam posted:

Yes! Well, as long as they have at least a little bit different flavor and different mechanics. But that might just be me being weird who enjoys when there are too many classes, feats, species, etc. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fun fact: there's a unique racial kit for every single race in the game!

Some of them are things you might expect, like kitsune's Nine-Tailed Heir, but there's a few curveballs in the mix as well like halfling's Knight of the Paw - a cavalier kit themed around riding a wolf (or oversized dog as you prefer).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Archetypes exist basically to enable slapping the cool bits of classes onto each other without explicitly multiclassing (and typically, then multiclassing). Common ones include giving arcane casters a sorcerer/bloodrager bloodline, enabling a pet/mount, applying sneak attack unconventionally, changing the main stat of attack and AC scaling, and especially giving part of a class' unique thing to other classes (judgements, mutagens, spell lists, etc).

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Vivisectionist exist mostly for multiclassing and meta builds, to the point that "dip Vivi" is a meme in Owlcat fanbase.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I find archetypes to generally be a great idea, though the execution can vary depending on the class and archetype in question. Especially if something vital to the class is chopped off for something else in the archetype.

Overall I think I prefer the way 5E does it where a subclass basically serves as an enhancer for the base class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: there's a unique racial kit for every single race in the game!

Some of them are things you might expect, like kitsune's Nine-Tailed Heir, but there's a few curveballs in the mix as well like halfling's Knight of the Paw - a cavalier kit themed around riding a wolf (or oversized dog as you prefer).

Okay, I'm gonna roll one of these next game.