Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah, it's not something I would have expected to exist so I didn't even think about it before I ran into it.

https://support.yubico.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013790319-How-many-accounts-can-I-register-my-YubiKey-with

Basically, Yubikeys can only store 25 FIDO2 credentials, or hardware assisted passkeys as Yubico calls them. So for most people, I guess that's probably fine (though as more and more sites start implementing passkeys I think even a standard user might start running into this if they're not using 1Password or similarly generated passkeys). For a sysadmin, especially if you administer multiple Azure tenants, 25 is insanely low. I presume there has to be some kind of advanced technical limitation on how these are stored, because in an era where tiny USB keys hold terabytes I can't imagine Yubico cheaped out so much on a $50 device that it's only a memory limitation, but who knows, maybe they ARE that greedy and their bill of materials is 2 cents for 4 MB of flash.

I saw somewhere on Reddit (always known as a great source of truth) that their next version might be expanded to the princely number of 60 FIDO2 keys, which, if true....Yubico, what the gently caress.

my personal hot take is that physical security keys served a purpose, but discoverable credentials are just going to be bound to your device/platform/password manager, and do 99% of the security of security keys for infinitely more user friendly and only in rare cases will you actually need a physical security key

I keep a 5c NFC on my keys, and I honestly can't remember the last time I used it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
we should go back to having all computers have a big physical key you can take out for the power switch imo. would let me put lockpicking on my resume. i yearn for a time i never lived in

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokin opposition posted:

we should go back to having all computers have a big physical key you can take out for the power switch imo. would let me put lockpicking on my resume. i yearn for a time i never lived in

Yeah but then it's followed by a time of setting IRQs and creating boot disks for games so you can get all of that precious precious 640KB available because Descent loving needs 615K for some reason gently caress YOU DESCENT thank god for himem argh what do you mean windows won't boot again that just happened last month, oh, hm running scandisk on this 500 MB Conner hard drive reveals a ton of damaged sectors, that was probably from that power surge last year now I see why it keeps crashing and requiring me to reinstall Windows 95.

(That last incident was literally what got me started with "knowing computers", and really I should have just left well enough alone and said "MOM DAD THE COMPUTER BROKE").

Also don't forget the time you state yearning for didn't allow women to, for instance, have their own credit cards.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

my personal hot take is that physical security keys served a purpose, but discoverable credentials are just going to be bound to your device/platform/password manager, and do 99% of the security of security keys for infinitely more user friendly and only in rare cases will you actually need a physical security key

I keep a 5c NFC on my keys, and I honestly can't remember the last time I used it

100% agreed, but that goes back to my stated annoyance that Microsoft has not made Entra compatible with 1Password passkeys yet.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah, it's not something I would have expected to exist so I didn't even think about it before I ran into it.

https://support.yubico.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013790319-How-many-accounts-can-I-register-my-YubiKey-with

Basically, Yubikeys can only store 25 FIDO2 credentials, or hardware assisted passkeys as Yubico calls them. So for most people, I guess that's probably fine (though as more and more sites start implementing passkeys I think even a standard user might start running into this if they're not using 1Password or similarly generated passkeys). For a sysadmin, especially if you administer multiple Azure tenants, 25 is insanely low. I presume there has to be some kind of advanced technical limitation on how these are stored, because in an era where tiny USB keys hold terabytes I can't imagine Yubico cheaped out so much on a $50 device that it's only a memory limitation, but who knows, maybe they ARE that greedy and their bill of materials is 2 cents for 4 MB of flash.

I saw somewhere on Reddit (always known as a great source of truth) that their next version might be expanded to the princely number of 60 FIDO2 keys, which, if true....Yubico, what the gently caress.

I've literally been contracted out to make brand new tenants and the most I had access to at once was maybe less than a dozen? That's a crazy amount of tenants and I'd be using B2B or something else to help consolidate.

I don't know if it's just me but as a admin... Passkeys don't seem that useful? At least not with MFA and Yubikeys... I just don't see why I'd use them over that?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tokin opposition posted:

A project I built with a raspberry pi has the power to the pi running through a physically keyed switch for MAXIMUM SECURITY.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah but then it's followed by a time of setting IRQs and creating boot disks for games so you can get all of that precious precious 640KB available because Descent loving needs 615K for some reason gently caress YOU DESCENT thank god for himem argh what do you mean windows won't boot again that just happened last month, oh, hm running scandisk on this 500 MB Conner hard drive reveals a ton of damaged sectors, that was probably from that power surge last year now I see why it keeps crashing and requiring me to reinstall Windows 95.

(That last incident was literally what got me started with "knowing computers", and really I should have just left well enough alone and said "MOM DAD THE COMPUTER BROKE").

Also don't forget the time you state yearning for didn't allow women to, for instance, have their own credit cards.

I don't actually want to go back to the 70s and 80s, I just want big chonky keys on computers again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I too would like more cassette futurism aesthetic in my day to day

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tokin opposition posted:

I don't actually want to go back to the 70s and 80s, I just want big chonky keys on computers again.

Buy a model m and bring it to work. Your coworkers will hate you.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

Buy a model m and bring it to work. Your coworkers will hate you.

Can confirm. Used to sit down the opposite end of a row of a guy that had a model M. It was miserable to be around in a work environment.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SyNack Sassimov posted:

100% agreed, but that goes back to my stated annoyance that Microsoft has not made Entra compatible with 1Password passkeys yet.

They do but your tenant admin needs to edit a string in Entra

https://m365admin.handsontek.net/prepare-for-device-bound-passkeys-in-microsoft-entra-id-changes-to-fido2-and-windows-hello-for-business/

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Yeah I had tried this back in January or so, adding the AAGUID for 1Password into the allowed list, and was still getting an error just after the passkey naming stage. I'll try again - possibly I didn't give it enough time to apply or something. Have you actually confirmed this works, allowing the AAGUID and adding a 1Password passkey?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We have a mobile stipend so it's less of an issue with MFA. We also do not require MDM with MFA, just authenticator. So, there's no control or tracking risk if all you are doing is MFA, MDM is only required if you do email.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tokin opposition posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these keylocks didn't turn the computer on and off, they just kept keypresses from being registered

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just wanna hit the TURBO button so my computer can either speed up or slow down (who knows??)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Vulture Culture posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these keylocks didn't turn the computer on and off, they just kept keypresses from being registered

:saddowns:

Well that does give me an idea for a modern version that locks down USB, power, monitors. I can sell it to the government and price each key at $9999.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Yeah I had tried this back in January or so, adding the AAGUID for 1Password into the allowed list, and was still getting an error just after the passkey naming stage. I'll try again - possibly I didn't give it enough time to apply or something. Have you actually confirmed this works, allowing the AAGUID and adding a 1Password passkey?

I used the managed and unmanaged icloud aaguid keychain and it worked, stopping after the naming is a sign of aaguid blockage.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My boss canceled our team meeting, the only one I had scheduled for today. I’ve received zero emails or teams messages needing me to do anything at all.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

SlowBloke posted:

I used the managed and unmanaged icloud aaguid keychain and it worked, stopping after the naming is a sign of aaguid blockage.

Awesome, thanks!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Over 1500 applications sent out, 15 interviews and 0 offers. I am so over this drat slump and just want to get back to working and being busy again.

Just need to vent, sorry for being a bummer in this thread so much

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Blurb3947 posted:

Over 1500 applications sent out, 15 interviews and 0 offers. I am so over this drat slump and just want to get back to working and being busy again.

Sucks to hear you’re having so much trouble even landing interviews. Don’t worry about the thread, keep on grinding. Everyone here is rooting for you.

What type of jobs are you applying for?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

HR departments are currently absolutely flooded. They report getting hundreds to thousands of applications for every position posted - because people are using AI to write resumes and shotgunning them out, in addition to AI powered "we apply for you" services doing the same.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's gonna be funny when businesses go back to "please drop off an application in person" in response to all this AI garbage.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Blurb3947 posted:

good luck goon!

Vargatron posted:

It's gonna be funny when businesses go back to "please drop off an application in person" in response to all this AI garbage.

brb building an app for people to drop them off for you

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

tokin opposition posted:

good luck goon!

brb building an app for people to drop them off for you

That would still have enough cost that it would throttle it to legitimate applications while still being yet another annoying piece of red tape there for no drat reason because we hosed ourselves over with our own drat technology

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

LochNessMonster posted:

What type of jobs are you applying for?

I've got years as a desktop support/sysadmin so I've been applying to almost anything related. I'm also trying to break into cloud so anything adjacent to that as well, but I haven't had a single hit. I showed my resume here a while back and think it's pretty refined, but I think the market is just absolute poo poo still. I've got a handful of certs so I might as well start trying to for security or networking positions too.

Blurb3947 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 6, 2024

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Vargatron posted:

The response has apparently been "Let's use AI as the first level of screening" and holy gently caress NOBODY is happy with the results of this. Not HR, not managers and certainly not applicants.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

chin up everything sucks posted:

HR departments are currently absolutely flooded. They report getting hundreds to thousands of applications for every position posted - because people are using AI to write resumes and shotgunning them out, in addition to AI powered "we apply for you" services doing the same.

:lol:

Well, this is awesome because your HR process for hiring people is awful and sucks... but where is this service? It sounds great!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

seriously, I will pay.... a reasonable amount of money for some to shill me constantly.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
The market is fuckin bonkers right now. I just posted an internship position that's basically tier 1 helpdesk for a construction company plus we'll teach you stuff about the industry. Hybrid remote need to live near the office type thing. We're not a major player company, pure mid market in a specialized field, so no one would have heard of us.
I got 52 apps in 2 days and climbing.
50% were people who did an undergrad in India currently doing serious masters degrees in the states who are shotgunning resumes out to everything, probably automated. All blanket rejected because they would be bored to tears, this isn't an FTE path, and almost all were in various other parts of the US.
30% were people pursuing valid undergrad degrees (mostly security, which I don't need) between 500 and 2000 miles from the office. Once again, just shotgunning out there and applying to everything.
Of the remaining 20%, half were people gunning for FTE and ignoring the intern part of the req.
Of the remaining, I have one great candidate and two good. I'm hoping for the great one because they're local, have the basics of the skillset I want, and are trying to learn things my team can teach.
It's fuckin wild right now and your best bet is networking and nepotism.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I posted a part time helpdesk position over the summer with a very clear "THIS IS NOT A PROGRAMMING JOB, MUST BE ABLE TO BUILD A COMPUTER" header and I still got a ton of applicants from people who had master's degrees in CS. I was looking more for somebody who had an associates degree or something like that.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vargatron posted:

"THIS IS NOT A PROGRAMMING JOB, MUST BE ABLE TO BUILD A COMPUTER"

When I was a tech I always felt so embarrassed for these people who could do ONE thing well but couldn’t sort out how to turn their computer on. Like I don’t expect them to be in regedit or the event log when something goes wrong, but they should have the basics down without question.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vargatron posted:

I posted a part time helpdesk position over the summer with a very clear "THIS IS NOT A PROGRAMMING JOB, MUST BE ABLE TO BUILD A COMPUTER" header and I still got a ton of applicants from people who had master's degrees in CS. I was looking more for somebody who had an associates degree or something like that.

If you have a local community college, reach out to the teachers or the career office there and you'll probably have your pick of candidates.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

skipdogg posted:

If you have a local community college, reach out to the teachers or the career office there and you'll probably have your pick of candidates.

Like me!

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I had to aim low to even get a job in my field. I've been a sysadmin and a consultant and having to go back to L1 Help Desk has been a gigantic depressionfest.

You're currently competing with a massive amount of people more skilled than you who are also aiming low in this abysmal market, you might want to consider doing the same.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
My company is doing layoffs today and IT is the last part of the exit interview and, man, it's heartbreaking. People at one of the lower points in their life and I need to sit down with every one of them and ask them for their equipment and make them go through a data security checklist. Not to mention, a lot of these folks are my friends

It's part of the job but it's the worst part

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've never ever been a part of the exit interview process. That should all be HR.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
This is the 3rd company where I've been involved in the process. I agree though, it should be HR if only for liability reason

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

This is the 3rd company where I've been involved in the process. I agree though, it should be HR if only for liability reason

Do you work in the PacNW?

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
No, NYC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tehinternet posted:

When I was a tech I always felt so embarrassed for these people who could do ONE thing well but couldn’t sort out how to turn their computer on. Like I don’t expect them to be in regedit or the event log when something goes wrong, but they should have the basics down without question.
When I was growing up I went over my uncle's house one time, and he had this computer where he had never turned the monitor off, even with the computer powered down. He thought the monitor was the hard drive and it was all volatile, and if he hit the power button it would all get wiped. Like, did you notice that you had several power outages a year, and your stuff was still there afterwards?