Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Tree Bucket posted:

Why did the Harko soldiers keep offering Rabban advice, when it invariably resulted in him snapping their necks? Is the officer-murder a recent thing caused by the stress of the war, and he'd been an okay boss til then?
Also the new "Worst non-harem-related Dune Job" Award goes to the harkonnen navigator who gets lenses glued to his face, or the harkonnen monks (?) who have to keep chanting (?) to make their war-room hologram map work (?)

Those are Mentats, I think. They're doing all the calculations a regular computer would do but those are illegal.

I Greyhound posted:

Also the Dune Encylopedia (published early 80's by Frank Herbert) adds that the wet-plant conservatory was added by a governor at the time for his wife who was homesick for her planet Humidis. :cripes:

That sounds like something JK Rowling would write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Frank Herbert didn't write the encyclopedia, he just reviewed it and approved it with his imprimatur.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Yadoppsi posted:

Frank Herbert didn't write the encyclopedia, he just reviewed it and approved it with his imprimatur.

Look, I don't know what imprimatur means, so I'm assuming it's a pale hairless man who chants while spellchecking manuscripts at superhuman speed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I Greyhound posted:

Also the Dune Encylopedia (published early 80's by Frank Herbert) adds that the wet-plant conservatory was added by a governor at the time for his wife who was homesick for her planet Humidis. :cripes:

How silly to make on Dune, the desert planet.

Leto II canonically mocks the Ixians for not knowing they named their planet and civilization after a misunderstanding of Roman numerals.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yadoppsi posted:

imprimatur.

is thta word in the encyclopedia

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Those are Mentats, I think. They're doing all the calculations a regular computer would do but those are illegal.

Makes sense. I thought mentats would look different, but i forgot that Piter looked fairly Harkonnen-ish

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

is thta word in the encyclopedia

Maybe in the section about the Emperor approving the publishing of the Orange Catholic Bible. I thought SA was full of over-educated computer touchers; has no-one read John Walker's "The Digital Imprimatur?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yadoppsi posted:

Maybe in the section about the Emperor approving the publishing of the Orange Catholic Bible. I thought SA was full of over-educated computer touchers; has no-one read John Walker's "The Digital Imprimatur?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msKI1T9i710&t=2s

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

lol at todays cinematrix

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Tree Bucket posted:

Makes sense. I thought mentats would look different, but i forgot that Piter looked fairly Harkonnen-ish

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Its funny because Two of Brad Dourif's greatest fantasy characters are:

A toady-like guy with huge eyebrows.

and

A toady-like guy with no eyebrows.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What movie is the latter from?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

What movie is the latter from?

he was Wormtongue, LoTR.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

fuckingtest posted:

Its funny because Two of Brad Dourif's greatest fantasy characters are:

A toady-like guy with huge eyebrows.

and

A toady-like guy with no eyebrows.

Nobody with good eyebrows needs to be justified.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

uber_stoat posted:

he was Wormtongue, LoTR.

Oh poo poo thanks for reminding me

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I thought it was a weird way to describe Chucky lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
From Grima Wormtongue to Schemer Caterpillarbrow

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/moschinodorito/status/1765198725658358252
Lmao, this movie giving Star Wars fans existential crises.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

I Greyhound posted:

old uncle frank going off about his damp boxes again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
New biosphere, humidis?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

The weird part of this tweet is that of all the things you can accuse Star Wars of stealing from Dune, it's swords (for poo poo obviously inspired by Samurai, like Darth Vader is just a big rear end space samurai) and Darth Maul who... has literally nothing in common with Feyd?

At least point out the Scarlac

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ImpAtom posted:

The weird part of this tweet is that of all the things you can accuse Star Wars of stealing from Dune, it's swords (for poo poo obviously inspired by Samurai, like Darth Vader is just a big rear end space samurai) and Darth Maul who... has literally nothing in common with Feyd?

I do think people have consistently turned a blind to how much Dune has had such a huge influence on Sci-Fi and Star Wars in particular, but yeah most of this is a reach.

For this its more to do with the shock of seeing grand epic sci-fi not be corny schlock.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jar Jar Binks is just Rabban

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also like the whole point of Star Wars is to rip off other movies. It's a Samurai movie with ww2 fighters in space and that what we love it for

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

khwarezm posted:

inshallah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I do think people have consistently turned a blind to how much Dune has had such a huge influence on Sci-Fi and Star Wars in particular, but yeah most of this is a reach.

For this its more to do with the shock of seeing grand epic sci-fi not be corny schlock.

Oh yeah, I mean Tatooine exists because Lucas liked Dune and you can trace a lot of that right back to him, arguably even stuff like Jabba basically being Knockoff Baron Harkonnen/'Spice' being the drug/etc. Just that's the oddest selection of stuff.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
Rabban in part two seemed like an incompetent Darth Vader

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh yeah, I mean Tatooine exists because Lucas liked Dune and you can trace a lot of that right back to him, arguably even stuff like Jabba basically being Knockoff Baron Harkonnen/'Spice' being the drug/etc. Just that's the oddest selection of stuff.

The Jedi are also like a much simpler and easy to digest Bene Gesserit in various ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

khwarezm posted:

The Jedi are also like a much simpler and easy to digest Bene Gesserit in various ways.

Very possibly, though they fill enough classic niches that I can also just imagine him going SPACE WIZARDS. Though honestly by Episode 1 they feel more Bene Gesserit with Midiclorians and weird breeding rules and poo poo.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

khwarezm posted:

never really thought about it but Jedi even have the Voice!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The Jedi of course are also representative of a lot of the orientalised western views on 'Eastern philosophy' that was popular in the 70s and 80s, another influence from Samurai movies too probably.

And also the general proclivity of sci-fi from the era to have tons of telepathy and telekinesis for some reason.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Most of the commentary on the origin of the Jedi that I've seen points to the Lensmen from the E. E. "Doc" Smith pulp novel series. Lightly-regulated cops with psychic powers, roaming the galaxy looking to right wrongs and protect civilization. You may also recognize that description as the backdrop of the modern Green Lantern comic book setting - the Lensman books were very influential on stuff that came after them.

The laser swords and swordfights are from Lucas' beloved Kurosawa samurai movies, the Force is from 1960s-70s California hippie understanding of Zen Buddhism.

e: reading the wikipedia page on Lensman, I see a key plot element is "The Eddorians do not detect the Arisians, who begin a covert breeding program on every world that can produce intelligent life, with particular emphasis on the four planets Earth (Tellus), Velantia III, Rigel IV, and Palain VII, in the hope of creating a race that is capable of destroying the Eddorians. Triplanetary incorporates the early history of that breeding program on Earth, illustrated with the lives of several warriors and soldiers, from ancient times to the discovery of the first interstellar space drive."

A secret breeding program to create psychic super-beings that runs across thousands of years, you say? :thunk:

FMguru fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 6, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
science fiction is not allowed to have science in it. egan put it that way, but the root of it is because it's an inheritor of the gothic novel. first basically unquestionably scifi thing was frankenstein, which stemmed from a ghost story competition lord byron hosted where mary shelley wrote the beginnings of it. mary shelley had percy shelley (her husband)'s heart on her desk when she was writing, she was a Most Absurdly Goth woman. she had a lot of cause, she had 4 kids and only 1 lived

gothic novels are fundamentally upon the intrusion of the past upon the present. therefore, medievalism. therefore, the supernatural. therefore, superstition.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 6, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lensmen is absolutely one of those Insanely Influential But Basically Forgotten series, yeah."

edit: It's also one I could not give a shiiiiiiit about when I tried to read.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

bob dobbs is dead posted:

science fiction is not allowed to have science in it. egan put it that way, but the root of it is because it's an inheritor of the gothic novel. first basically unquestionably scifi thing was frankenstein, which stemmed from a ghost story competition lord byron hosted where mary shelley wrote the beginnings of it. mary shelley had percy shelley (her husband)'s heart on her desk when she was writing, she was a Most Absurdly Goth woman. she had a lot of cause, she had 4 kids and only 1 lived

gothic novels are fundamentally upon the intrusion of the past upon the present. therefore, medievalism. therefore, the supernatural. therefore, superstition.

agreed w/r/t Frankstein and mary shelley being goth AF

disagree that science fiction isn't allowed to have science in it, or that its all goth at heart. P. much anything Jules Verne wrote would qualify as hard science fiction

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Jar Jar Binks is just Rabban

Count Hasimir Fenring

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Count Hasimir Fenring

I always forget about him! But i guess that's his whole deal.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I really really wanted Kyle McLachlan to make a cameo as fenring, it would've been super meta since iirc fenring is implied to be a previous failed attempt at the KH?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Isn't Fenring supposed to be a total uggo though? Hence the Tim Blake Nelson casting (sorry, Tim Blake Nelson)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My question is, if Anakin’s life is a Christ narrative, what does that make Obi Wan? He makes for a very peculiar character to feature in an apocryphal gospel.