Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Apparently the Timesplitters 2 remake that got cancelled wasn't actually a remake and was instead... a free to play battle royale that they tried to pivot into being a remake months before being shut down

also an ex-developer put up a ps3 build of a prototype for Timesplitters 4 on the Internet Archive, though it doesn't work in emulators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
loving WHAT

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sometimes, dead is better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The 7th Guest posted:

Apparently the Timesplitters 2 remake that got cancelled wasn't actually a remake and was instead... a free to play battle royale that they tried to pivot into being a remake months before being shut down

also an ex-developer put up a ps3 build of a prototype for Timesplitters 4 on the Internet Archive, though it doesn't work in emulators

well hopefully this will work out for Marathon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Harry Potter game made money specifically because it was a Harry Potter game so not making it a live service is just leaving money on the table

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Harry Potter game made money specifically because it was a Harry Potter game so not making it a live service is just leaving money on the table

I'm sure they can gently caress up and make unplayable even a Harry Potter open world game where you go to Hogwarts.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
their reasoning is probably "if we had made this a live game, we would have steady returning income from all of these players for a lower cost than it will be to make hogwarts legacy 2"

they're probably right to an extent, but probably not to the extent that they think. it is kinda silly because a fuckin hogwarts game does seem like it would naturally lend itself to that structure, can always add on new episodic story bits and stuff. reading the plot on wikipedia it kinda seems like the game is structured to have a narrative reason for the "postgame" (basically you beat the big baddie, but then you still have to finish the school year and do well on your exams or whatever). they could, at the very least, have had the level of post-release support that the average assassin's creed game gets, just selling some more poo poo in the open world you already built. but this is wb so of course the one time they actually had an opportunity for easy money they just loving ignored it lol

making something a live game doesn't just mean it's always online and has a gear score, you can still have two years of DLC and season passes or whatever without that. hell half the reason suicide squad kept getting delayed was because they kept panicking and trying to remove "live game" elements like gear score, which it turns out, did not help at all because that's not the actual problem with a lot of live games!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yes and no. You need to cross a minimum threshold of quality that is much harder to achieve with a live service game because they are in direct competition with the existing GaaS juggernauts where single player narrative games aren't really in competition with one another on a daily basis.

For instance, there was a Harry Potter Pokemon Go knock-off that fell flat on its face. Suicide Squad would have very obviously been more successful had it been conceived as a single player experience and executed in a reasonable time frame on a reasonable budget.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The 7th Guest posted:

Worst case of Fortnite Disease I've seen

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

AngryBooch posted:

For instance, there was a Harry Potter Pokemon Go knock-off that fell flat on its face
what were you supposed to be catching?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AngryBooch posted:

I mean yes and no. You need to cross a minimum threshold of quality that is much harder to achieve with a live service game because they are in direct competition with the existing GaaS juggernauts where single player narrative games aren't really in competition with one another on a daily basis.

For instance, there was a Harry Potter Pokemon Go knock-off that fell flat on its face. Suicide Squad would have very obviously been more successful had it been conceived as a single player experience and executed in a reasonable time frame on a reasonable budget.

The Harry Potter game was not a good game and in fact was king of bad and it still made bank

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

executed in a reasonable time frame on a reasonable budget.

AAA developers in general seem to really struggling to keep costs down and get games done. Whether that's the nature of increasing graphics fidelity, or poor management, or both, it's becoming a real crisis.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Awesome! posted:

you busted ghosts, I think?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In the new Harry Potter: Hogwarts Legacy Connected we've decided we're going to accurately model the world of Hogwarts! If you want to join the coveted Slytherin house you'll need to grease some palms. Only 5000 Gallions ($59.99) and you can be Lucius Malfoy™ and get your son into the house of your choice. And for just another 5000 you can start off with the Popular Kid Starter Set which including a Nimbus 2001 Racing Broom™ for you AND your entire Quiddich Team. (Note: Nimbus 2001 Racing Broom™ outperforms standard racing brooms available to standard players)

Worried that you can't keep up? Don't worry, free to play players (also known as Weasleys) will still get a starter set which includes Textbook, Rat and Wand. (Warning: Wand may not be customized, has a 10% chance to backfire.) See, being a poor isn't all bad!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ImpAtom posted:

In the new Harry Potter: Hogwarts Legacy Connected we've decided we're going to accurately model the world of Hogwarts! If you want to join the coveted Slytherin house you'll need to grease some palms. Only 5000 Gallions ($59.99) and you can be Lucius Malfoy™ and get your son into the house of your choice. And for just another 5000 you can start off with the Popular Kid Starter Set which including a Nimbus 2001 Racing Broom™ for you AND your entire Quiddich Team. (Note: Nimbus 2001 Racing Broom™ outperforms standard racing brooms available to standard players)

Worried that you can't keep up? Don't worry, free to play players (also known as Weasleys) will still get a starter set which includes Textbook, Rat and Wand. (Warning: Wand may not be customized, has a 10% chance to backfire.) See, being a poor isn't all bad!

can't say it's not accurate to the books

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Oooh that looks loving heinous, really glad that got canceled.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Warner Bros. is removing some games published by Adult Swim Games from stores
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/03/its-kind-of-depressing-wb-discovery-pulls-indie-game-for-business-changes/

So you might want to nab any you were thinking of buying but were putting off
https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/AdultSwimGames

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do we know when the games will be retired? Will they still be there for the steam sale next week? Who am I kidding, WB won't discount them for the sale anyway.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's one thing to be deluded into thinking that the market has room for more than one cultural juggernaut, money printing Fortnite-scale battle royale game and that you could destabilize the market enough by coming in with something novel enough. It's a whole other level of insane to think that you could literally just copy and paste Fortnite and release Bootleg Fortnite and expect it to displace the real thing.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know when the games will be retired? Will they still be there for the steam sale next week? Who am I kidding, WB won't discount them for the sale anyway.

60 days for Small Radios Big Televisions

https://store.steampowered.com/app/390040/Small_Radios_Big_Televisions/

Other devs haven't heard anything yet though
https://twitter.com/KrvaviAbadas/status/1765206350454235185

Replies for those without twitter accounts
https://twitter.com/MrPodunkian/status/1765313376060846163
https://twitter.com/SuperMegaTeam/status/1765261123044233352

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Bummer news but you have to admit this happening to Glittermitten Grove feels like something they'd almost want to happen on purpose.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

khwarezm posted:

WB Thinks ‘Hogwarts Legacy 2’ Should Be A Live Service

So, what I don't understand about this, considering how I thought that a major corporation is meant to work, they have the very obvious contrasting examples of Hogwarts Legacy (minimum live service elements, made obscene amounts of money) and Suicide Squad (built completely around live service, utterly crashed and burned, huge losses all around no matter how you slice it) and their response is 'We need to make Hogwarts Legacy 2 a live service game!', isn't the whole idea that you go for the strategy that makes you more money, not the one where you light it all on fire?

Jack B Nimble posted:

They can't understand that a GaaS Hogwarts wouldn't have been as popular.

IDKS about what they teach people who study economics or business, but they don't actually seem to be any good at it? Or maybe these are just the idiots and the actually good people are quietly increasing the wealth of the 1%.
It probably would have been less popular in a "total number of players" sense, but in terms of money made? It'd probably do a lot better.

GaaS games get shat on in "gamer" circles, but Harry Potter is staggeringly popular among an enormous crowd of people who aren't really plugged into that discourse and just want to be a witch. Even just adding paid costumes to Hogwarts Legacy to play Wizard Dress-up with, and nothing else, would have probably made WB millions of dollars more than the game already did.

"Making Hogwarts Legacy 2 a live service game is going to fail because Suicide Squad failed" is an apples-to-oranges comparison. The only way Suicide Squad could have succeeded as a GaaS game, or any type of game at all, was by being a really good game, because nobody gives a gently caress about Suicide Squad as an IP. Harry Potter doesn't have that problem, and Hogwarts Legacy was always going to make bank so long as the game was at least decent. It's one of the only IPs I can imagine where "the secret to making money from a game is to just make a good game" doesn't fully apply.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Awesome! posted:

Artifacts or magical beasts or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter:_Wizards_Unite

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Harry Potter game was not a good game and in fact was king of bad and it still made bank

I don't necessarily disagree. I played it as well and its gameplay quality level is basically on par with something like AC Origins, Odyssey, or Valhalla with production values and polish just a step below a Sony 3rd person action game. I liked AC: Odyssey, Spider-Man, the Mordor games, and Horizon Zero Dawn and a good portion of that is because I'm a complete mark for Greek history and myths, Marvel, LotR, and high-concept sci-fi so I get the appeal of Hogwarts Legacy to people who like Harry Potter.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

Apparently the Timesplitters 2 remake that got cancelled wasn't actually a remake and was instead... a free to play battle royale

lmfao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

AAA developers in general seem to really struggling to keep costs down and get games done. Whether that's the nature of increasing graphics fidelity, or poor management, or both, it's becoming a real crisis.

I’ll acknowledge labor costs as a factor but I will never stop placing 99% of the blame on directors and project managers for running the kind of operation that repeatedly spends a fortune only to throw away the work and chase after some other trend.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orv posted:

Genuinely curious, what’d they do with the BG3 console ports? You could probably get away with just a Destiny cursor and maybe some ability radials or something like the XIV system but I assume they went further than that?

it's complicated but basically it's multiple radial menus, and clever use of shortcuts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jack B Nimble posted:

They can't understand that a GaaS Hogwarts wouldn't have been as popular.

IDKS about what they teach people who study economics or business, but they don't actually seem to be any good at it? Or maybe these are just the idiots and the actually good people are quietly increasing the wealth of the 1%.

EVERYONE is a complete moron, you and I included. Executives have it even worse (lmao) because they can surround themselves with yesmen and be absolutely insulated from consequences.
These companies and executives and studios seem like they are stupid because they are. There is nothing conspiracy or deep hidden meaning, it just really is that stupid. You can't just make money, you have to make THE MOST money. What is the most money, you ask? More than we made before, obviously.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

(elden ring)

EAT poo poo MARGE

:toot: :toot: :toot:

e: level 20, +4 broadsword, I did summon sorcerer rogier and wow he's so much more effective than my jellyfish - but margit killed him all the same and I had to weather that awful sword swinging combo several times to get the final strikes in

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ZearothK posted:

I wish people would just accept that Spiderman and Batman are like the only superheroes that can move sales.

hulk ultimate destruction was a lot of fun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ZearothK posted:

I wish people would just accept that Spiderman and Batman are like the only superheroes that can move sales.

Baman Piderman feature film when

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The 7th Guest posted:

I was excited for this for a long time and now I'm glad it died.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tfw all they had to do was finish the port they accidentally shipped with homefront and give it a proper release

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The X men would move units and DLC but they won’t even try

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CharlestheHammer posted:

The X men would move units and DLC but they won’t even try

Midnight Suns had half the avengers in it but it still might have had more storefront appeal / name recognition if it was just an X-Men game. It basically was an X-Men game vibes-wise. If you took out the free roaming part and added X-Com-style Xavier School management between missions it would have been perfect.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"Making Hogwarts Legacy 2 a live service game is going to fail because Suicide Squad failed" is an apples-to-oranges comparison. The only way Suicide Squad could have succeeded as a GaaS game, or any type of game at all, was by being a really good game, because nobody gives a gently caress about Suicide Squad as an IP. Harry Potter doesn't have that problem, and Hogwarts Legacy was always going to make bank so long as the game was at least decent. It's one of the only IPs I can imagine where "the secret to making money from a game is to just make a good game" doesn't fully apply.

I think this is overstating the issues that Suicide Squad would have had, as an IP, they already were leaning hard into the idea that its a big massive DC game, with recognizable characters like Harley Quinn, and a direct continuation of the Arkham series with all of the Justice League here, including Batman and Superman. I'll give gamers a little bit of credit and argue that they actually can be quite discerning sometimes, people love Arkham, Rocksteady is, or was, a very well respected studio, and the DC IP is hardly untested, if Suicide Squad was a fundamentally solid game that scratched the kind of itch that the other Arkham games did, I'm convinced it would have done a lot better. Instead they made the game as alienating as they possibly could have by veering sharply into the Live Service bullshit nobody asked for, just in terms of an IP that should have been able to sell the average joe on a GaaS, Suicide Squad had as good a chance as any other, and it still couldn't do it because who the gently caress is going to waste 60 euros on that crap? I really, truly believe that the live service basis of Suicide Squad murdered that game with its own intended audience from the word go, in large part because it was so heavily at odds with what people want to see from a Rocksteady game set in the Arkhamverse.

Saying 'Hogwarts Legacy was always going to make bank' feels easy to say in retrospect, but the franchise doesn't automatically print money, as the Fantastic Beasts movies show imo. The fact that HL was a fairly traditional, easy to approach and fun game I think went a long way towards making it a mainstream hit, by most accounts it significantly exceeded its expectations. If it was built from the ground up as a live service monstrosity I really do think it would have done a lot worse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder how it would have done if it didn’t have the author of the books attached to it. I wish she would fall down a well. I know a lot of people who would have bought the game if it wasn’t for how terrible the author is.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think that stuff really matters in terms of sales. Fantastic Beasts didn't bomb because of JK Rowling (or at least, not her name; her script is another story) or Johnny Depp, they just made movies nobody wanted to see. It's not really that much different of a case than Suicide Squad (famous IP, extremely unappealing premise).

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 7, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

(elden ring)

EAT poo poo MARGE

:toot: :toot: :toot:

e: level 20, +4 broadsword, I did summon sorcerer rogier and wow he's so much more effective than my jellyfish - but margit killed him all the same and I had to weather that awful sword swinging combo several times to get the final strikes in

hell yeah

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, most people don't really care about that sort of thing, in either direction. I personally just thought it was a boring game. Instead of using the cool magical castle they mostly had me run around in the open world 'exploring' 20 interchangeable villages and 300 empty caves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fair point, but Hogwarts Legacy seems like a game that a lot of people really wanted, and were even excited about. But were drawn away from by the author. Suicide Squad is a game that no one asked for.