Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thoom posted:

If VR games stopped opening with a logo floating in a black void, I bet people would care less about glare.

Yea, if more games used a grey void it'd be nearly unnoticeable

KillHour posted:

How are the prescription inserts? I needed to order some too. Also, did they get your IPD correct?

They're fine, I have a statistically average near sighted script do I can't speak to the quality if you have something weird. I vastly prefer the installation of the beyonds inserts, it's just a set of magnets that snap on vs the pair I have from VR optometrist for the index which you kinda slip on over the lense.

As far as the IPD is concerned, I just used whatever number they gave me from their scanner and decided to roll the dice. I ASSUME they did a good job, because the screens not blurry and I'm not suffering from eye strain after twenty minutes of play today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thoom posted:

If VR games stopped opening with a logo floating in a black void, I bet people would care less about glare.

Facts. Use a basic skybox with the image or something. I have no idea why devs do this.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think people who have a quest and a halo style strap (like the bobo) should try removing the facial interface and then finding a comfortable way to wear the headset. Without a facial interface you can't just crank down to get it stable and need to find the right positioning to wear it more like a hat. Then when you add back the facial interface you are just trying to find the right light blocking instead of cushioning the weight of the headset. Ideally the cushion of the interface is mostly irrelevant.

Looking at some pics of people wearing halo style straps I can see sometimes they aren't actually putting the weight on the strap but are cranking the tightening knob so the headset clamps to their face like a normal tension strap. It may be why some people find halo straps so uncomfortable since you've just added a lot of bullshit weight while still putting the pressure on your face. I'm not in love with the awkward bulk of the halo style, but I think heavy clamping force on your face really sucks so I hope people come up with alternative vr strap designs eventually. It's a shame that Apple for all the money presumably it spent on research just ended up with the same kind of strapped on goggles.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, better battery use for Link!
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/meta-quest-link-improvements/

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I got the full version of Tea For God and it is so much fun. Having played the demo I maximized my guardian to an 8x8ish oblong shape in my living room.

This is the kind of game you can only make with VR. Once the game starts you are IN the space. I spent a good 45 minutes creeping through hallways, bopping robots without really accomplishing anything, just discovering how the map works, what robots are means, nice or neutral.

Once I started accomplishing objectives the game has more than just impossible hallways to walk through. You get to operate a turret based on how you turn your head, be on the outside of a speeding monorail car while being shot at by aliens and dodge plasma blasts from all sides on a giant elevator.

It's even fun for less experienced VR users. It has lots of options so I can let my kiddo play without any mean robots and she will have a grand old time just walking in circles in the living room.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I got the full version of Tea For God and it is so much fun. Having played the demo I maximized my guardian to an 8x8ish oblong shape in my living room.

This is the kind of game you can only make with VR. Once the game starts you are IN the space. I spent a good 45 minutes creeping through hallways, bopping robots without really accomplishing anything, just discovering how the map works, what robots are means, nice or neutral.

Once I started accomplishing objectives the game has more than just impossible hallways to walk through. You get to operate a turret based on how you turn your head, be on the outside of a speeding monorail car while being shot at by aliens and dodge plasma blasts from all sides on a giant elevator.

It's even fun for less experienced VR users. It has lots of options so I can let my kiddo play without any mean robots and she will have a grand old time just walking in circles in the living room.

Tea for God is dope. I haven't done a deep dive into it yet, but I will soon. It's fun guessing which wall of your space you are facing when you take your headset off.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

it is so freakin funny it took 1.3 years for a trillion dollar cap company to fix their launcher lol (4000 series message)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

it is so freakin funny it took 1.3 years for a trillion dollar cap company to fix their launcher lol (4000 series message)

They don't care anymore about the pc launcher...

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Turin Turambar posted:

They don't care anymore about the pc launcher...

They literally just launched a new app for it.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha3fDU-1wHk

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kazy posted:

They literally just launched a new app for it.

Literally... isn't new. It's the definition of a rebrand.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

What do they mean by "now supports 4000 series GPUs"?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

What do they mean by "now supports 4000 series GPUs"?

Any time you booted up the app with a Nvidia 4000 card, you got a notification that your video card didn't meet the VR requirements or wasn't supported. I'm not sure if this had any meaningful impact beyond being a bit confusing.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Oxyclean posted:

Any time you booted up the app with a Nvidia 4000 card, you got a notification that your video card didn't meet the VR requirements or wasn't supported. I'm not sure if this had any meaningful impact beyond being a bit confusing.

Hm that must not be a universal experience, I have a 4090 and have never seen that notification.

Thought maybe it was AV1 support for AirLink, drat.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Shoutout to the app "Great paintings VR" on Steam. Over a thousand paintings, from the 1400s to 1800's. Option for sitting or standing. You can customize the color of the walls, floors, frames. Includes a collection of quality sound classical music. Well worth $6.

Seeing the art in real life scale makes all the difference in the world. Seeing The Coronation of Napoleon, which looks as big as an airplane hangar wall, is very impressive. I've seen photos of "The Garden of Earthly Delights", before on my monitor, but it looked like a jumbled mess. In 1:1 scale, you can spend hours looking at all the crazy poo poo going on in that masterpiece.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MeatRocket8 posted:

Shoutout to the app "Great paintings VR" on Steam. Over a thousand paintings, from the 1400s to 1800's. Option for sitting or standing. You can customize the color of the walls, floors, frames. Includes a collection of quality sound classical music. Well worth $6.

Seeing the art in real life scale makes all the difference in the world. Seeing The Coronation of Napoleon, which looks as big as an airplane hangar wall, is very impressive. I've seen photos of "The Garden of Earthly Delights", before on my monitor, but it looked like a jumbled mess. In 1:1 scale, you can spend hours looking at all the crazy poo poo going on in that masterpiece.

Thanks for the rec, I also love seeing paintings in vr.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, thanks for the rec. That's awesome.

If I understand right, it's a free program with an (optional) 6.99 DLC as a way to provide donation/support to the dev. Cool idea.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
How hi res are the scans? Can you see the texture of the impasto?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have a referral for Underdogs?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Wintermutant posted:

Does anyone have a referral for Underdogs?

You can use this one for a discount :cheers:

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

The Eyes Have It posted:

You can use this one for a discount :cheers:

Thanks!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Quest 2 and Quest Pro are getting an update so you can play laying down.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

tango alpha delta posted:

Imagine paying $1500 for the Quest Pro and being treated like an afterthought. I mean yeah your fault for not returning it while you had the chance, but still.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tango alpha delta posted:

Gonna fall asleep playing then basically wake up in another world like an isekai

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-152LOXaM-g

Swarm 2 is out in Quest. If anyone wants a referral, I can provide.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any good, up-to-date guides for modding Beat Saber? (PCVR) I found "mod assistant" and found out how to easily add songs from https://bsaber.com/ but I haven't booted up yet to confirm it all works right, and a bunch of the songs I was finding were mentioning something about "noodle" which sounds like some kind of plugin that lets people do more stuff with the maps, no idea if it's actually required. Also not sure if there's some other plugins/addons I'd want for keeping added tracks organized and stuff, or other stuff, but it also sounded like I'd need to downgrade the game to a particular version to get any addons?

I basically got the game the other day so I don't I know if I need to do big modding yet, but I'm sure there's some handy QoL stuff I might want?

Also how many songs did the game originally come with? Cause for 40$ the game has a bit less included music then I'd hope, and I assume stuff like vol2/3/4 were later additions.

e: https://bsmg.wiki/pc-modding.html#downgrading
Looks like this page contains most everything I need to know.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 8, 2024

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Oxyclean posted:

Is there any good, up-to-date guides for modding Beat Saber? (PCVR) I found "mod assistant" and found out how to easily add songs from https://bsaber.com/ but I haven't booted up yet to confirm it all works right, and a bunch of the songs I was finding were mentioning something about "noodle" which sounds like some kind of plugin that lets people do more stuff with the maps, no idea if it's actually required. Also not sure if there's some other plugins/addons I'd want for keeping added tracks organized and stuff, or other stuff, but it also sounded like I'd need to downgrade the game to a particular version to get any addons?

I basically got the game the other day so I don't I know if I need to do big modding yet, but I'm sure there's some handy QoL stuff I might want?

Also how many songs did the game originally come with? Cause for 40$ the game has a bit less included music then I'd hope, and I assume stuff like vol2/3/4 were later additions.

e: https://bsmg.wiki/pc-modding.html#downgrading
Looks like this page contains most everything I need to know.

I still use the legacy beta on steam.

Downgrade (Actually just reinstall, like delete beat saber, then verify integrity or swap to beta after deleting)
Run game once clear to menu. Game has to build some files first.
Run Mod Assistant.
Pick addons/Mods and hit install.
Run game.
Profit.

Thats it.

Otherwise, same poo poo on the newest version. Grab mod assistant, install game, run at least once, close game, run mod rear end, install mods, run game.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

MeatRocket8 posted:

I've seen photos of "The Garden of Earthly Delights", before on my monitor, but it looked like a jumbled mess. In 1:1 scale, you can spend hours looking at all the crazy poo poo going on in that masterpiece.

This site is also a very cool way to explore the painting.
https://archief.ntr.nl/tuinderlusten/en.html

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e19lrhkRfis

I've said it before but I see updates like this for H3VR and think "fuuuuck imagine if this was in a game that's not take and hold". Mad respect to Anton for this labor of love but give me like a cod zombies or co-op action looter shooter sorta thing with weapon mechanics from H3VR and I'll never play another game again.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anton needs to take a break from adding guns and add more stuff to use the guns in. I'd love to see another progress based mode like Rotweiners.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo that guy is still working on that game?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
still cranking away at unplugged from time to time, i am now within the 500th best air guitarist on freebird in the world

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

explosivo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e19lrhkRfis

I've said it before but I see updates like this for H3VR and think "fuuuuck imagine if this was in a game that's not take and hold". Mad respect to Anton for this labor of love but give me like a cod zombies or co-op action looter shooter sorta thing with weapon mechanics from H3VR and I'll never play another game again.

This exists, with mods. There even is a multiplayer mod.

https://github.com/TommySoucy/H3MP

https://h3vr.thunderstore.io/package/Packer/SupplyRaid/

https://h3vr.thunderstore.io/package/NGA/SafehouseProgression/

The above three mods can give you a coop looter shooter with a customizable safehouse to display and hold all your loot.

There is a cod zombies mod. Never tried it though.

https://h3vr.thunderstore.io/package/Kodeman/CodZombies/

At this point, I'm fine with him not focusing on maps and modes. The mod scene has that handled.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 10, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

c355n4 posted:

At this point, I'm fine with him not focusing on maps and modes. The mod scene has that handled.

Whoa, poo poo that's awesome. I actually had no idea there was a mod scene for H3VR, I figured that scenario editor thing was going to be the best we were going to get. Thanks for the heads up!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
so ive finally gotten interested in vrchat. ive messed around with the native version but its obviously extremely limited and filled to the brim with children. everyone says there are amazing things to see in there, where should i go to experience that?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Al! posted:

so ive finally gotten interested in vrchat. ive messed around with the native version but its obviously extremely limited and filled to the brim with children. everyone says there are amazing things to see in there, where should i go to experience that?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041190

There's a thread dedicated to VR Chat, there's a few worlds mentioned in the OP but you could probably ask for some recommendations depending on what you're looking for.

Unless you are looking to meet strangers, stick to making friends/friends+ or private instances if you wanna dodge the kids.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I bought a Quest 3. My Quest 1 has been collecting dust but I played some at a friend’s house and forgot how much fun it can be.

Ten years in and these things still ship with the most dogshit strap imaginable

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

explosivo posted:

Whoa, poo poo that's awesome. I actually had no idea there was a mod scene for H3VR, I figured that scenario editor thing was going to be the best we were going to get. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, going to explore this quite a bit too. I wanted some kind of single player action/zombie experience with the gun handling from H3 grafted onto it, so as long as this isn't super jank I will sink some time into it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My nephew got a Quest 2 recently and his mom was wondering if there are any career exploration apps that can showcase certain careers.

I could not think of anything other than the game Job Simulator but I do not think that is what she is asking for.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My nephew got a Quest 2 recently and his mom was wondering if there are any career exploration apps that can showcase certain careers.

I could not think of anything other than the game Job Simulator but I do not think that is what she is asking for.

Power Wash Simulator, prep him for his life as a landscaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

are they a military family at all?