Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I opened a game on my switch and the screen immediately went black. The home button didn't respond so I tried to restart the switch. That didn't work, doesn't turn back on, and doesn't register being plugged into the wall charger

Did everything just spontaneously brick?

More likely the battery is mega-dead. Give it a while on the dock/charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hold the power button for 20 seconds. If nothing happens plug it in for an hour and then try again.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got it working again false alarm

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
another switch success story

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Switch is immortal, it can never die.

The JoyCons, they don't count.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Hold the power button for 20 seconds. If nothing happens plug it in for an hour and then try again.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Kevyn posted:

I’ve definitely heard that thing about the SNES being designed to keep people from putting drinks on it before. It might’ve been in Nintendo Power back when the SNES was first introduced. I remember an article that showed some crazy unused concept designs.

Edit: Yeah I was right, can’t believe I remember that

That last line is a complete falsehood

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They were

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I fully completed Donkey Kong at a friend's place and I remember his mum being concerned with our vociferous yelling. The arcade games you had to complete were a particular source of frustration

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Depends whether you favor the SFC controller's colorful buttons or the SNES controller's concave X/Y buttons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Having one set of convex buttons and one set concave is more useful, though not as exciting, as having the buttons look like delicious candy

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I've 100%ed DK64 five times and enjoyed it every time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

OK it might be time for an intervention...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Andorra posted:

Blink twice if you're being forced to game against your will

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andorra posted:

how many beaver bothers is that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Andorra posted:

You may be eligible for compensation from a class action lawsuit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Andorra posted:

You may need an MRI.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

You may need an MRI.

lol I don't know. I'm weird and just really like collectathons. I'm not even that big of a fan of DK64, it's certainly the worst between it and the two Banjo-Kazooies. It just felt fitting to do that game five times.

On that note, does anybody have any recommendations for collectathons on the Switch? I've already played Mario Odyssey, Yooka-Laylee, and Hat in Time

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Check out New Super Lucky's Tale

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Andorra posted:

You have a beautiful heart.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

You may need an MRI.

Yeah, for a brain!!!!!

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Check out New Super Lucky's Tale

gonna second this. Nice and breezy

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

peaches the demo.

https://x.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1765543534927487312?s=20

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

https://twitter.com/IconsNSO/status/1765544450749804892

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I want this guy :negative:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I want this guy :shopkeeper:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Andorra posted:

most deranged post in this thread.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andorra posted:

WWEEEEEEEELLLL DOOONE!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm on day 3 of a work trip and I forgot my switch and it fuckin sucks!!!!!

Time to get addicted to TikTok

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Time to get addicted to TikTok

Could've been addicted to TotK if they didn't forget the Switch like an idiot

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

hatty posted:

I want this guy :negative:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
havent tried, but I guess you can set your region to Japan on nintendo.com and you can get the Mother 3 icons but it clears your wallet and breaks your icon collection if you move your region out of Japan

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Unless you resort to emulation that is

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

doomrider7 posted:

Big N is actually one of the better if not the best(not that it's a necessarily high bar to clear) in terms of employee retention and treatment and don't do that whole hiring and firing thing that other big tech and gaming companies do. They are also one of the few(maybe even the only?) Japanese companies that acknowledge same-sex marriages and rights.

i think endorph mentioned squenix being very progressive when it comes to lgbt+ employee rights but i might be wrong

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

euroshopper posted:

i think endorph mentioned squenix being very progressive when it comes to lgbt+ employee rights but i might be wrong

Yeah that tracks with what I heard, ditto for Sega also being really good to employees as far as work and bonuses were concerned as was Capcom. A lot of Japanese gaming companies are...actually not that bad employee wise if I recall.

Off-Topic for Nintendo, but on topic for this convo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-653Z1val8s

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I read something recently that claimed that of the five people that worked on the original Super Mario Bros (1985), four of them were credited on Super Mario Wonder

People just...don't leave jobs at Nintendo, lol

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I read something recently that claimed that of the five people that worked on the original Super Mario Bros (1985), four of them were credited on Super Mario Wonder

People just...don't leave jobs at Nintendo, lol

Nintendo's employee retention rate is 98.9%, surpassing the national average of 70% thanks to factors like brand strength and a strong employee welfare program.

I think that might be the highest employee retention rate of ANY company.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Peach game seems neat. I think the demo gives you a pretty good sense as to the variety of gameplay styles; you get your basic action game with really rudimentary parrying but also your weird baking thing with Mario Party-esque mini games. It’s all 2 buttons and a stick because it is still for younger gamers and single joycons but it feels like the devs took it as a challenge to really stretch their creative muscles in terms of how many different genres and modes they can get out of it. It reminds me a lot of Luigi’s Mansion as far as the animation and set design, although I’m admittedly a sucker for theater and theatrically inspired gaming stuff. The little promo clip at the end of the demo had 10 outfits pictured, I wonder how many more we’ll see. Both demo levels ended with “To be continued” so presumably we’re getting multiple levels for most/all outfits but I don’t think they’d play all their cards before release. Could end up being a pretty beefy game size-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I remember reading some dev interview about Rune Factory 5 adding same-sex romance/marriage options and it was just one guy talking about how they had to write all the dialogue to work for either option and make sure to add pronoun checks and more nickname options and he was excited to hunt down all the little details like that so it'd just work organically on release.

Dunno why exactly but I found it really refreshing.