Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sydin posted:

Cool rear end bar

Geass bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i need to watch gridman and dynazenon but it's like. two series on an already absurdly tall pile of series i have yet to watch
gridman's origin in general is cool. its badass that the gridman anime makes a bunch of references to the goofy 90s dub of the original tokusatsu series.

The 7th Guest posted:

i know that geass has the laughing holding his head guy, and that they had a pizza hut episode
they didtn just have a pizza hut episode, the animators got told 'hey sneak a pizza hut logo into like, town scenes or w/e on signs' and the animators just turned it into a game of puttign as many pizza hut logos into the show as possible and pizza hut didnt care because it was free advertising so it basically became a running joke in the show itself. genuinely loses something with the streaming services removing the ads.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i am for product placement in an anime if it's for a pizza chain. it would be badass if Frieren ate at Papa Johns

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

One of the main characters has a plushie of the japanese pizza hut mascot (at the time at least idk if they're still using it)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Todd and Aaron ftmfw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DaysBefore posted:

Todd and Aaron ftmfw

BEST VITA GAME

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Droyer posted:

One of the main characters has a plushie of the japanese pizza hut mascot (at the time at least idk if they're still using it)

code geass has a terrible mobile game right now and the stamina restore items are boxes of pizza hut

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

i need to watch gridman and dynazenon but it's like. two series on an already absurdly tall pile of series i have yet to watch

I am mostly sure it is the same with Dynazenon but I haven’t watched it yet (though I should) but SSSS Gridman is 13 episodes and you can probably blitz through it in a weekend and it rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ghost in the Shell episode in question, Jungle Cruise, is also a bad example if you want to argue that GITS accuses America of war crimes while exonerating Japan. The whole gist of the episode is that America is setting Batou up to be a fall guy after cleaning up a loose end for them, and Japan is willing to go along with it. It only fails because Batou proves to be a better man and not play executioner for a game of dirty politics.

It's still cyberpunk, the government ain't your friend just because you work for Section 9.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lil homie geass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i love that this video is 12 minutes long

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i pulled for a five star Toppers but got a two star Cicis instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the female lead of geass is actually named cc (pronounced cici in some dubs), what does this mean

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Sydin posted:

This just popped up in my feed and I'm watching it now, about how the famous "bit flip" in SM64 was not in fact caused by magic cosmic rays (I love speedrunning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj8DzA9y8ls

Thanks, I had heard the funny cosmic ray theory but I had no idea a lot of people had apparently accepted it as fact, or that Veritasium made a video proclaiming it as such. I wonder if you could somehow quantify how much damage content mills have done to the world's collective intellect.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

i love that this video is 12 minutes long

Cheese-kun my beloved

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also there's never been a video game with blatant product placement that i didn't find really loving funny

the best is Alan Wake 1 where there's a bunch of fake twilight zone episodes on each of the TVs in the game but then at one point near the climax, a completely random Verizon Wireless ad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i am for product placement in an anime if it's for a pizza chain. it would be badass if Frieren ate at Papa Johns

frieren has much funnier advertisement, official frieren beyblades

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress yes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The 7th Guest posted:

also there's never been a video game with blatant product placement that i didn't find really loving funny

the best is Alan Wake 1 where there's a bunch of fake twilight zone episodes on each of the TVs in the game but then at one point near the climax, a completely random Verizon Wireless ad
bring back the Ford sync ads

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

frieren has much funnier advertisement, official frieren beyblades

lol owns

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Are there good dune videos other than quinn 's ideas. Watched the second movie kinda on a dunc kick

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Jeez, that's a lot of posts.

I used to be a dumb edgy "all anime is [insert a perversion here] trash" joke maker and thinking back on that now certainly makes me cringe far, far harder than anything anime related I've ever seen.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

dynazenon is really good but i can't say the same for grid. animation's crazy but the writing doesnt knock any homeruns, not like dynazenon. it's just ok

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

here's a cool 40 second gobelins short film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irO_iShv56c

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ending of gridman is cool and there's some good scenes but yuta is intentionally a non-character and utsumi is the most boring man alive, and rikka keeps them both at arm's length so that the twists in the ending can work better. and akane can't really interact with the cast more because, again, the twist. so its kind of just a lot of random tension for 9 eps until it explains what the point is. its a good show but dynazenon comes together a lot better

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Endorph posted:

id rather argue about anime more than hear peter coffin updates. die.

Would you care to know that keffals made a monetized video on the potential Somerton suicide

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Would you care to know that keffals made a monetized video on the potential Somerton suicide
Of course she did lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

please no

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Impermanent posted:

Why are yospos ppl like this

cosmic rays flipping the wrong bit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whatever happened to the boned00d and platedewd guy. that was an online creator

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

cosmic rays flipping the wrong bit
I knew I should have sprung for the ECC brain

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ariong posted:

Thanks, I had heard the funny cosmic ray theory but I had no idea a lot of people had apparently accepted it as fact, or that Veritasium made a video proclaiming it as such. I wonder if you could somehow quantify how much damage content mills have done to the world's collective intellect.

I mean the thing is that in isolation it sounds plausible:
- computers are theoretically, conceptually, vulnerable to that sort of thing happening
- the chances of anything happening on an individual basis are extremely low, but the odds of something happening to someone somewhere isn't
- people have decontructed mario 64 to hell and back and can't explain this
- speedrunners do some really weird poo poo to their games sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPFyMA4WtYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THtbjPQFVZI

but yeah nothing I've seen or heard prior to this has ever touched on the other stuff, both about the existing hardware issues on that console specifically and "other situations where a bitflip-type error happens on a more consistent basis", so finding out there's a better explanation than "none at all" is cool

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the first Bleach OP is peak and i have no idea what happens in that show from any point after it changes

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Alaois posted:

the first Bleach OP is peak and i have no idea what happens in that show from any point after it changes

witch from mercury's first opening with witch from mercury's second credits is the ideal. i will brook no further q's ty

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

gridman's origin in general is cool. its badass that the gridman anime makes a bunch of references to the goofy 90s dub of the original tokusatsu series.

they didtn just have a pizza hut episode, the animators got told 'hey sneak a pizza hut logo into like, town scenes or w/e on signs' and the animators just turned it into a game of puttign as many pizza hut logos into the show as possible and pizza hut didnt care because it was free advertising so it basically became a running joke in the show itself. genuinely loses something with the streaming services removing the ads.

Wasn't one of the characters even nicknamed Pizza the Butt by the fandom?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pizza Hut Geass vs Pizza Hut Rebuild of Evangelion

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Radia posted:

witch from mercury's first opening with witch from mercury's second credits is the ideal. i will brook no further q's ty

Second OP for me pleaaaase

The new One Piece opener simply refuses to leave my head

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I'm also a goblin who prefers Slash over Shukufuku

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

Man, what is the deal with these guys who are super Weird about Japan and anything that comes from it? For instance, a friend of mine absolutely refuses to watch anything anime ever (Except for the rare anime he arbitrarily defines as not too anime), and at several points has gone off on bizarre rants about politics in Japanese media - Like he criticized Ghost in the Shell for having a plotline about the American government perpetuating war crimes in a fictional future war and not acknowledging Japanese war crimes in WWII and also tried to make a clumsy equivocation between Noh and Kabuki theatre to argue anime was low culture designed to dumb down the masses and keep them complicit?

Hell, you still see Americans angry about Pearl Harbor for some reason?

god do you ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
As trainwrecky as Geass got, it did indirectly give us Code MENT and the soup scene.

On another note, anyone know any other creators of machining projects in the vein of Clickspring? It's helped me gain an appreciation for some of the stuff my Dad learned to do as a machinist, and it gives me a chance to bond with him a bit :3: