Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

KakerMix posted:

It's cute to watch someone that's been given everything pout about how out of touch she is. The general public is dumb as poo poo, can't tell anything and don't give a gently caress about where anything comes from at all. She didn't have to make a super hero movie for Sony. That's her choice.

Yeah she seems like a pleasant enough person but completely out of touch. She blindly took a paycheck while not considering the quality of the script or Sony’s terrible track record, that’s on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
Remember those guys who bought that Dune concept art book and thought that that meant they owned the copyright?

I wonder which fortune 500 company or major film studio they're now running?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IIRC they were NFT grifters, so I would strongly assume they are now AI grifters of some kind

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

colonelwest posted:

Yeah she seems like a pleasant enough person but completely out of touch. She blindly took a paycheck while not considering the quality of the script or Sony’s terrible track record, that’s on her.

You don’t understand. She was forced to answer dumb questions at press junkets by pricks whose fathers were working-class. No one deserves that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

billymumphrey posted:

Remember those guys who bought that Dune concept art book and thought that that meant they owned the copyright?

I wonder which fortune 500 company or major film studio they're now running?
I think they still had a bunch of money and were trying to produce something else with it but I can't remember the details

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Endless Trash posted:

You don’t understand. She was forced to answer dumb questions at press junkets by pricks whose fathers were working-class. No one deserves that.

Tbf I agree with her

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

colonelwest posted:

She's said the script was drastically rewritten after she signed on

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This is one of the most well known things about Star Wars. The Darth Maul thing is wrong though.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

mystes posted:

I think they still had a bunch of money and were trying to produce something else with it but I can't remember the details

You can tell they're dumb as gently caress tech bros because the idea of releasing (a heavily edited) version of it in book form to movie nerds hasn't even occurred to them. It would make a fortune pretty easily with gently caress all effort on their part. They're too busy trying to get Chatgpt to turn Moebius' beautiful artwork into slurp juice apes.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Kingo Ligma posted:

You can tell they're dumb as gently caress tech bros because the idea of releasing (a heavily edited) version of it in book form to movie nerds hasn't even occurred to them. It would make a fortune pretty easily with gently caress all effort on their part. They're too busy trying to get Chatgpt to turn Moebius' beautiful artwork into slurp juice apes.

once again, they don't own the rights

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

For the What We Do in the Shadows fans… I recently stumbled across this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s3jpi5e1go

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Gripweed posted:

She's said the script was drastically rewritten after she signed on

IMDB Trivia posted:

According to Dakota Johnson in an interview with The Wrap, the screenplay underwent extensive rewrites, saying, "There were drastic changes, and I can't even tell you what they were". The original screenplay, which was described as darker and "very 'Terminator' inspired," would have seen Madame Web and the Spider-Women trying to protect a pregnant Mary Parker from a time-traveling Ezekiel Sims, who wants to kill her to prevent the birth of Peter Parker. Johnson further said that the film she shot was "unrecognizable" from the version of the script she signed on to make.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Dakota Johnson talking poo poo about the movie on her publicity tour is probably marginally more meaningful exposure for it than if she pretended it wasn’t terrible, so it’s truly a victimless crime.

mystes
May 31, 2006

General Dog posted:

Dakota Johnson talking poo poo about the movie on her publicity tour is probably marginally more meaningful exposure for it than if she pretended it wasn’t terrible, so it’s truly a victimless crime.
She could probably make a documentary about what a disaster the production was and get more people to see it than actually saw Madame Web

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’d definitely watch a documentary on whatever the gently caress Sony has been doing for the past decade.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

honestly when i hear dakota johnson grousing about script changes and press tours, i remember that the director of photographer for madame web was the legendary gary gackleborf, who died today at age 48. cedar sinai hospital

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

she's definitely not trying a new angle at promotion with sony's blessing

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Outside of like George Lucas prequels or similarly overpowered-weirdo situations I'm not sure it will ever stop being weird to me when well-funded/non-rushed movies have terrible scripts. Not lame/derivative scripts, but TERRIBLE incoherent ones. Movies involve so many spinning plates as it is, just sort that first and maybe change here or there if you have to but don't make it obviously worse or wildly different? It's almost like rival studios have infiltrated Sony or something.

edit:

colonelwest posted:

I’d definitely watch a documentary on whatever the gently caress Sony has been doing for the past decade.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Molothecat posted:

she's definitely not trying a new angle at promotion with sony's blessing
Hopefully with the blessing of the people who decided to bring morbius back to theaters because they thought the memes meant people would actually watch it

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

colonelwest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwukN1gXFY

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

TIP posted:

once again, they don't own the rights

They own the rights to the art book. You think the Herbert family wouldn't sign on for 35% ? It's free money for everyone except the people who did the actual work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kingo Ligma posted:

They own the rights to the art book. You think the Herbert family wouldn't sign on for 35% ? It's free money for everyone except the people who did the actual work.
They do not own "the rights to the art book" that's the whole point

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mystes posted:

They do not own "the rights to the art book" that's the whole point

Lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

the first article I googled on the topic

quote:

An anonymous NFT group called Spice DAO (decentralized anonymous organization) made waves earlier this year when they triumphantly tweeted about their acquisition of a rare art book: Jodorowsky’s Dune, the guidebook to an ambitious but ill-fated film adaptation of Frank Herbert’s Dune. These spiceheads had big plans to convert the book into NFTs, burn the physical copy, and adapt the story into an animated series. There’s just one problem: little did they know, the purchase didn't mean they actually own the copyright to Dune. All they own is one very, very expensive book.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

North Korea leaked their emails to cover up the REAL hack, and they've been impersonating Sony execs and sending out incomprehensible green lights, story notes, and writers' contracts for the last 10 years.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

jesus christ, the updates at the end are both something else and exactly what I'd expect from a web3 turd:

quote:

UPDATE 5/25: The woes continue for the Dune bros. Spice DAO has been plunged into turmoil following troubling accusations about one of its founders, Charlotte Fang, and their history of reprehensible statements. In addition to co-founding Spice DAO, Fang also manages Milady, another NFT project. Fang has now been outed as Miya, a user whose blog and tweets contained some abhorrent statements. "Miya" compared Black people to apes, described homosexuality as a "disease," and claimed that the nation could be "saved" by killing its Jewish citizens. "Miya" has also been accused of grooming anorexic girls. Fang has fessed up to their secret identity as Miya, saying, “Unequivocally, my real views hold no room for hate, and I detest abusers & groomers—trolling about it was juvenile, but in reality I’ve never harmed a fly." (Where have we heard that one before?) Fang has stepped down from Milady, but their status with Spice DAO remains unclear.

also imagine coming up with a Spice DAO and not naming it CHOAM, fuckin fairweather Dune fans on the blockchain over there

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
BRB burning millions in total confusion on the very basic distinction that NFTs supposedly revolutionized

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Dijkstracula posted:

jesus christ, the updates at the end are both something else and exactly what I'd expect from a web3 turd:

also imagine coming up with a Spice DAO and not naming it CHOAM, fuckin fairweather Dune fans on the blockchain over there

We regret to inform you that Spice DAO have been milkshake ducked...

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it's me I'm the guy who believes the first draft of madam web was a masterpiece

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

drat, maybe I am dumb enough to be a tech bro after all

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Kingo Ligma posted:

drat, I almost scrolled right past you showing the whole thread your rear end. thank you for calling attention to it. you're a real one, kingo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kingo Ligma posted:

[not looking up from newspaper] that's the spirit! you're dumb enough to be anything you want, son

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Gotta be me.

I do kinda need a new career now that both (lol) NZ television networks fired half their staff, one of them closed their entire news and journalism department (this was literally done by David Zaslav) the new right wing govt fired half the film commission, and that's like half the hosed media stuff that's happens in just the last week.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Surely there's a youtuber out there that needs an editor and can pay you with experience.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lister posted:

Surely there's a youtuber out there that needs an editor and can pay you with experience.

I know just the guy and he's got a lot more budget now that he's not spending so much on advertising

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Kingo Ligma posted:

Gotta be me.

I do kinda need a new career now that both (lol) NZ television networks fired half their staff, one of them closed their entire news and journalism department (this was literally done by David Zaslav) the new right wing govt fired half the film commission, and that's like half the hosed media stuff that's happens in just the last week.

Yeah but those Hobbit films were totally worth it!!!!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1765517419240460710

Gonna assume Alec Baldwin has much better lawyers but still this doesn't bode well for him

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kingo Ligma posted:

(this was literally done by David Zaslav)
lol

dude's gotta go

e: also, sorry that happened

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Milady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Cubone posted:

lol

dude's gotta go

e: also, sorry that happened

Thanks