Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Wild EEPROM posted:

I wonder how all the common podcast advertised products actually are.

Squarespace
Nordvpn
Rocketmoney
Raycons
Factor meals
Athletic greens
The ball shaving one
Vessi shoes
Ridge wallet

I use NordVPN and it's alright as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Grumbles posted:

I know he probably gets hate in this thread because he's on the influencer side of the tech spectrum - and all the algorithm chasing in his vids do annoy me, the overediting, the English guy americanizing the prices and narrative for that bigger audience slice, the strange forced RP accent masking a real Nottingham accent, etc etc... but I was surprised by how much enjoyed Arun's latest video! A lotta fun seeing all these weird cheap India knockoff gadgets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdlLUogNYMw

nah gently caress that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jiNy2ZDiHQ

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Wild EEPROM posted:

Squarespace
Nordvpn
Rocketmoney
Raycons
Factor meals
Athletic greens
The ball shaving one
Vessi shoes
Ridge wallet

My mom got me a Ridge wallet for a birthday/Christmas gift this year. I like it more than a normal wallet because of how much smaller and more compact it is. It's not as stylish as a traditional leather wallet, though.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Wild EEPROM posted:

Squarespace
Nordvpn
Rocketmoney
Raycons
Factor meals
Athletic greens
The ball shaving one
Vessi shoes
Ridge wallet
they basically promote nordvpn as a tool for dodging region restrictions on netflix etc

it also doesn't do super well compared against other vpn's with a bunch of trackers and other things

they also block torrenting last i saw

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wild EEPROM posted:

Squarespace
Nordvpn
Rocketmoney
Raycons
Factor meals
Athletic greens
The ball shaving one
Vessi shoes
Ridge wallet

I suspect the answer to all is "basically fine but overpriced so they can afford to do youtuber discount codes"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Squarespace is fine and pretty much the standard for what they offer

Raycons used to be overpriced garbage but they have a pretty rapid and stealthy update cycle, and now they’re just fine. They’re not better than what you can get from a lot of <$100 earbuds from more reputable brands or even Anker, etc, and they’re definitely not better than Beats or Apple or Sony/Senn/etc. I wouldn’t get their $80 buds over other, more name-brand, buds in the same price range and I super wouldn’t pay Beats Fit Pro or AirPods Pro 2 money for their flagship stuff

Athletic Greens is a scam. Eat more vegetables, make green smoothies, take a multivitamin, and/or drink some Metamucil for any/all of the benefits they claim.

Vessi shoes: the Invicta Watches of shoes

Ridge Wallet: seems good for what it does, a bit to Tacticlol for my tastes

Manscaped: not sure about their proprietary skin-protecting tech, but I doubt it’s any better than what Norelco/etc have for their body grooming products. The one time I held a manscaped trimmer the chintzy plastic and build reminded me of the no-name trimmers they used to sell in gift grooming kits at Macy’s.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
I was skeptical of Vessi, but ended up really liking them. They are indeed waterproof but also quite comfy. They're my go to beater shoes and I wear them most days. But they're impossible to clean once they're stained.

I used Squarespace for my wedding website and it was great. It's not the cheapest but anyone can make something that looks great. Kind of a no brainer for a business to justify the cost, given how easy they make updating it so it stays relevant.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Vessi store in a mall here is insanely busy they seem like actually quite popular shoes.

I thought about a ridge wallet but then decided nah.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I loving love my Vessi's. Super comfortable, waterproof etc. Totally worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve almost bought a pair of those shoes a few times but I really wanted to see them in person. I didn’t know they had stores now so I’ll have to check them out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That anti-gravity pen thing
Better Health mental health counselling, although I hear that more on podcasts than youtube vids, but it seems to be *everywhere* on podcasts.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The shaving gear from Manscaped is hot garbage. Surprisingly, their boxer briefs are incredibly comfortable.

I had a neighbor that relied on Factor meals because they were so busy with their job they literally never had time to cook for themselves. They had no complaints, but they also had the spare cash to throw at them. They spent something like $650/month on those meals alone.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Vessi's for when I need to walk my dog when it's raining but have been hesitant since I haven't seen many people around here actually using them (vs, say, Allbirds). I might take the plunge.

NordVPN has been involved in a bunch of scandals over the years, including a data breach and some debates around if they actually follow their claim around not logging VPN usage or not. Can't say I'd use them after that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

slidebite posted:

That anti-gravity pen thing
Better Health mental health counselling, although I hear that more on podcasts than youtube vids, but it seems to be *everywhere* on podcasts.

I’ll have to reconsider my prejudice against Vessi, but BetterHelp is awful for a myriad of known reasons and it’s been covered to death recently, including as fallout from recent controversy involving Kyle Hill

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
So many YouTubers shill Manscaped that it makes me wonder if it would be more economical to just get shitfaced and self-wax my balls instead.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kazinsal posted:

So many YouTubers shill Manscaped that it makes me wonder if it would be more economical to just get shitfaced and self-wax my balls instead.

It's just shilling basic personal grooming to the sort of people who watch a poo poo ton of tech youtube. Trimming your junk isn't rocket science and you don't need a bespoke balls kit to do it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

trilobite terror posted:

I’ll have to reconsider my prejudice against Vessi, but BetterHelp is awful for a myriad of known reasons and it’s been covered to death recently, including as fallout from recent controversy involving Kyle Hill

Better help, not health. Ugh.

Never heard anything about that, I'll check into it for curiosity (Not that I'd checked or ever sign up for mental health care from podcast advertising anyhow)

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's just shilling basic personal grooming to the sort of people who watch a poo poo ton of tech youtube. Trimming your junk isn't rocket science and you don't need a bespoke balls kit to do it.

Yeah, like many products they just create a problem that doesn’t exist.

“You don’t use the same shaver on your face that you do your balls, do you?” Manscape asks, as they eat with the same hands they wipe their rear end with.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

slidebite posted:

Better help, not health. Ugh.

Never heard anything about that, I'll check into it for curiosity (Not that I'd checked or ever sign up for mental health care from podcast advertising anyhow)

There's a lengthy video that covers BetterHelp sponsorships. One thing it touches on is a person requesting an LGBTQ counselor to talk about being gay, and instead they get a counselor who told them "uh have you tried not being gay".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdUOit_UHEM

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Betterhelp seems particularly egregious in every way, as scummy as the various crypto ones

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Well for starters they have a ton of ties to the IDF and are an IDF contractor.

They operate on an Uber model wrt therapists, with all of the positives and negatives that it brings. Therapists have flexibility and access to quick, immediate work. They get paid much less than industry average. Clients who cannot get “regular” therapy or who live in places or conditions where therapy is inaccessible can get therapy remotely and easily. The company is byzantine and deeply impersonal by design so problems, such as misbehavior between therapists and clients, are handled the way Uber handles disputes. Therapists don’t have guidance or support from the company. Therapists are not vetted particularly stringently, meaning that the likelihood of having a bad/incompetent/poor-track-record/pariah in their local professional scene/etc therapist increases dramatically. BetterHelp has placed LGBTQ clients with bigoted therapists in spite of clients specifying their identities. BetterHelp doesn’t let therapists establish standard professional relationships, follow-ups, etc with their clients. Therapists have reported meeting with clients in evidently dangerous or abusive circumstances and been unable to get help for the client, etc.

Oh also apropos of the IDF thing, they recently rolled out an initiative to offer free therapy to any IDF personnel working in Gaza.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 29, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Somehow I’ve never heard of them before, or don’t remember.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
betterhelp is kinda the type of thing that's about as bad as the pitch makes it sound like: it's not a huge surprise than you can't scale up remote therapy to arbitrary user numbers

(which makes it all the more irresponsible to accept a sponsorship for it)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dieting Hippo posted:

There's a lengthy video that covers BetterHelp sponsorships. One thing it touches on is a person requesting an LGBTQ counselor to talk about being gay, and instead they get a counselor who told them "uh have you tried not being gay".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdUOit_UHEM
Can't watch right now but holy gently caress that's cringe

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Therapists usually charge way more than what better help charges the users so it’s not surprising they have a pretty lovely product. Took one look at that and was like yeah that’s not gonna work. It’s unfortunate that some folks will use it and get a really bad therapy experience.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

trilobite terror posted:

The one time I held a manscaped trimmer the chintzy plastic and build reminded me of the no-name trimmers they used to sell in gift grooming kits at Macy’s.

I'm convinced that's what they actually are, except there's a sticker on them and advertising that says you should use them on your balls.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The YouTube app on the iPad does this fun thing now where the comments flash under the video.

It’s basically doing a comments scroll but it’s super loving distracting.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

youtube should adopt the niconico comment system imo

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

repiv posted:

youtube should adopt the niconico comment system imo

Instead of WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW it's just all slurs and telegram scam links

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bloopsy posted:

Yeah, like many products they just create a problem that doesn’t exist.

“You don’t use the same shaver on your face that you do your balls, do you?” Manscape asks, as they eat with the same hands they wipe their rear end with.

consumerism.txt

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Apparently Air Up is horrible:

https://youtu.be/BokoBv_D_HM?si=ZUPyMrr9PQ8SofEj

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
What a shock

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gotta admire a professional who goes to the trouble of censoring his cat’s butthole

edit: he missed one

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 2, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry if this is too off-topic but idk where else to put it

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSFUCb42m/

There's this whole series of videos like this showing off artisanal craftsmanship, but one day I noticed that there's this strobing effect where it's like every other frame is dimming. It's incredibly distracting, but also it doesn't happen to most other videos on the platform?

Does anyone know what's going on? I know that sometimes people apply filters when they're posting footage of movies so they don't get copyright struck but that doesn't feel like it in this case.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's this whole series of videos like this showing off artisanal craftsmanship, but one day I noticed that there's this strobing effect where it's like every other frame is dimming. It's incredibly distracting, but also it doesn't happen to most other videos on the platform?

Does anyone know what's going on? I know that sometimes people apply filters when they're posting footage of movies so they don't get copyright struck but that doesn't feel like it in this case.

Not an expert, but I’d assume it’s some artifact from frame rate conversion or AI upscaling of some kind where frames are getting interpolated.

EDIT: Or maybe it’s a recording of an LED screen and the video camera’s shutter speed isn’t quite in sync with the screen? Quality looks too high to me for that, though.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 7, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tiktok is hell so my immediate assumption is that someone figured out making your video strobe slightly increases viewer retention by 1% so that's the meta now

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TikTok implemented HDR videos so now I randomly get my retinas blown out flipping through

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tiny Timbs posted:

TikTok implemented HDR videos so now I randomly get my retinas blown out flipping through

That's not how HDR works. HDR merely lets you see a broader range of colors, without the brights overpowering the darks, and vice versa, not just BRIGHT++. Generally when you view HDR content on a non-HDR screen, it'll mostly just have a strong purple tone to the image.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HDR videos on iPhone absolutely have much higher brightness wtf are you smoking

Like iPhones specifically have a feature that cranks up the brightness of HDR content on the screen while keeping the brightness of the other elements low

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 7, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

My guess is that’s not their video and they’re fooling the algorithm into not copyright striking them or something.

Or that account is owned by the company that makes carbamazepine, either or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

HDR videos on iPhone absolutely have much higher brightness wtf are you smoking

Like iPhones specifically have a feature that cranks up the brightness of HDR content on the screen while keeping the brightness of the other elements low

They do but it's not just because of the HDR content, but also the maximum brightness the screen on the device can display. The latest iPhone can display a peak of between 1600 nits (indoor) or 2000 nits (outdoor). It'll display brighter ends of the HDR spectrum eye searingly bright at times, especially compared to most other screens that support HDR, while still being able to display the darker parts of the image.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was originally going to speculate there was something wrong with the lighting used in the video (cheap LED lighting can cause a similar effect when recorded) but now I'm wondering if it's just a camera issue after watching the video and seeing it was mostly outdoors in semi-direct sunlight and even the sky was flickering?