Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Docjowles posted:

I thought that was supposed to be JJ. Not that it will matter when he gets drafted by Denver or a post-Cousins Minnesota or something and has to start week 1

The ultimate what if is What If he got traded up for? Properly sat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Definitely be skeptical of an LSU transfer QB having a breakout year after a middling college career up until that point, especially when paired with two top flight receivers. When has that ever worked out?

Daniels is not without his issues but Drake Maye also has issues its just the team around him was kinda middling you can just hand wave and say “not his fault, needed better talent.”

Daniels may bust (he sure as poo poo will if he goes to the Pats), but my argument has always been that Daniels was going to be a riser in the process because in a world where Anthony Richardson went 4th and Will Levis went in the second round you can’t count on teams defaulting to the big armed white guy. At least some teams out there are approaching the QB position differently and what he offers is tantalizing enough that it’s not an easy comparison and it’s facile to say that teams that don’t have Maye as the 2nd QB are clearly wrong.

Burrow didn't have 4 years of college experience starting prior. He just never got a chance to start until LSU, and then yeah his second year getting real starting reps he loving exploded.

Maye isn't just a big arm though. His statistical profile is so much better than Levis' it's funny. But shrug. We'll see.

Like I said, I could be wrong obviously, I just do this poo poo for funsies, but I just don't like him as much as others seem to. Especially because like a number of the things that people praise him for(pocket presence, protecting himself) are things that like both the numbers and my eyes tell me he's not great at.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 7, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhcKc-lr3o

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's funny that Kelly was spirit bomb lending energy to Daniels' Heisman campaign and still couldn't replicate Burrows production

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

1. Bears: Williams
  2. Commanders: Daniels
  3. Vikings: Maye
  4. Cardinals: MHJ
  5. Chargers: Nabers

This is where I am right now.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Doltos posted:

It's funny that Kelly was spirit bomb lending energy to Daniels' Heisman campaign and still couldn't replicate Burrows production

Justin Jefferson and Ja'Marr Chase, with Terrance Marshall, CEH, and Thaddeus Moss is a cheat code for success. But Burrow was also a cheat code.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A Sneaker Broker posted:

1. Bears: Williams
  2. Commanders: Daniels
  3. Vikings: Maye
  4. Cardinals: MHJ
  5. Chargers: Nabers

This is where I am right now.

I’m sure I’ve posted this already but I hate the Pats trading back. They go from a poo poo team to a poo poo team with… probably a strong left tackle? I guess if the Vikings want to give you an insane haul in future years you entertain. But passing on the caliber of guy available at 3 is tough

Signing some scrub QB and tanking for another top pick seems like a tough sell for a bunch of dudes eager to step out of Bill’s shadow. Even if it’s maybe the proper emotionless Madden strat

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Docjowles posted:

I’m sure I’ve posted this already but I hate the Pats trading back. They go from a poo poo team to a poo poo team with… probably a strong left tackle? I guess if the Vikings want to give you an insane haul in future years you entertain. But passing on the caliber of guy available at 3 is tough

Signing some scrub QB and tanking for another top pick seems like a tough sell for a bunch of dudes eager to step out of Bill’s shadow. Even if it’s maybe the proper emotionless Madden strat

Kwesi tried to trade the farm for Anthony Richardson. I wonder what he will do for Maye or Daniels.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How much is made of age in the draft? Like how important is it that Maye and McCarthy are 21 compared to Daniels and Penix at 23 or Nix at 24? Like of course the latter put up bigger numbers and look better but shouldn't the former have more room for growth? I don't watch enough college to know much about these guys specifically, but generally does the older guy have to be that much better than the kid? Unless a guy's like 25 or something it doesn't seem to get mentioned much.

I follow the NHL draft more and there they seem to have prospect aging curves down pretty good. Like if you're looking at prospects in Canadian Juniors (league for 17-20 year olds) then everyone knows that someone who's holding down playing time and giving a respectable performance is a prospect worth looking at while his 20 year old teammate putting up MVP numbers can probably be ignored since if he was any good he'd have turned pro already. Obviously there's late bloomers and guys who peak early, but there aren't many stars that don't get identified and snapped up at the earliest opportunity.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Doltos posted:

Burrow didn’t really sit much either. He averaged 35 attempts per game and threw it 38 times against Utah State, a game they won 42-6.

But I agree that he loving rules and the world will never see his like again.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pseudodragon posted:

How much is made of age in the draft? Like how important is it that Maye and McCarthy are 21 compared to Daniels and Penix at 23 or Nix at 24? Like of course the latter put up bigger numbers and look better but shouldn't the former have more room for growth? I don't watch enough college to know much about these guys specifically, but generally does the older guy have to be that much better than the kid? Unless a guy's like 25 or something it doesn't seem to get mentioned much.

I follow the NHL draft more and there they seem to have prospect aging curves down pretty good. Like if you're looking at prospects in Canadian Juniors (league for 17-20 year olds) then everyone knows that someone who's holding down playing time and giving a respectable performance is a prospect worth looking at while his 20 year old teammate putting up MVP numbers can probably be ignored since if he was any good he'd have turned pro already. Obviously there's late bloomers and guys who peak early, but there aren't many stars that don't get identified and snapped up at the earliest opportunity.

I don't think age matters much, other than the discussion of sitting a prospect and waiting. Penix, Hartman, and Nix are going to come in with a ton of reps and know how to work schemes very easily, similar to what Brock Purdy did. My Packers drafted an old(ish) Sean Clifford, and he immediately won the QB2 job because he had experience.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Daniels had to play a lot because they had a dog poo poo defense and they needed to score drat near 50 points to be ahead comfortably. They had like 2 blowouts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pseudodragon posted:

Age tends to matter far far more to NFL teams than they do to draft prognosticators.

Less so at QB, because that position is just so loving unique and hard to scout. But older dudes who do almost always tend to fall in the draft lower than most Draft prognosticators think a player should fall.

How much it actually matters, I dunno, that'd require a poo poo load of statistical work

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
We'll have to see how the actual draft plays out, but I'm pretty sure if McCarthy was a 24 year old 5th year senior and played the exact same he would not be getting first round hype

It's also another big difference between Lamar and Daniels, Lamar was extremely young when he was drafted

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Who is the historical NFL equivalent of David Robinson, a super old rookie that was still awesome? Especially for someone not a QB (Kurt Warner)

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 7, 2024

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Age matters for Nix, dudes looks like he's 40. Body is gonna start falling apart any day.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

A lot. Some positions it matters more than others, but in general it's a significant weighting. Old WR's, LBs, and DB's because they're just savvier. Better understanding of routes and more refined nuances, better diagnosis and understanding of the position. Linemen on both sides that extra physical development matters a lot. TEs all of the above. In practice what this means is that they're both closer to the peak of what you can envision them being and that in the NFL those extra advantages they had in college are going to be minimized.

Right now we're still in COVID time, so it's graded on a curve and a lot of times you'll be watching film and be like this guy looks refined and look him and up see that he's 37.

I think a good case study this year is Braden Fiske. Elite athlete and motor for days, but what comes across again and again on tape is he just doesn't have the power to be a reliably disruptive presence in either the run or pass game. He will absolutely disrupt plays, but it's athleticism, eye discipline, and tenacity. He's also 24. You like the package and maybe you can get some more muscle on him, but how much are you going to add to a 24 year old? In Fiske's case that's more of an open question because he only had the one year at top tier program, but it's still a concern.

This also matters more the earlier in the draft you are. Rounds one and two it a bigger weight than it is in round 6, because at that point you'll take as many boxes as you check, but it's also a result of older guys getting pushed down the board.

Also when when we're talking NFL draft old we're typically talking 23-24 year olds.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If I want someone that gets plugged in and played along OL or DL rookie year usually I'd want older prospects simply because they're bigger already. If someone is 24/25 and still can't play football then that's a big red flag to me, IE Joe Milton or Bo Nix.

Most players don't last past their rookie deal either through injury or being outclassed. Because of that I don't really care about age unless it's egregiously old.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What's the deal with Joe Milton? A friend of mine was talking about how he'd be a day 2 QB at worst if he had better receivers instead of solidly in day 3, so I watched some highlights and man that arm pops. Saw a couple casual flicks somehow go 50 yards in the air and a back foot throw that went like 35-40.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

What's the deal with Joe Milton? A friend of mine was talking about how he'd be a day 2 QB at worst if he had better receivers instead of solidly in day 3, so I watched some highlights and man that arm pops. Saw a couple casual flicks somehow go 50 yards in the air and a back foot throw that went like 35-40.

He sucks at everything else. He should be used for Hail Marys only.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

IcePhoenix posted:

he has incredible measurables and metrics but has lovely execution when it counts. he protected the ball well last year, tennessee has for all of josh heupel's time, but he often cannot put touch on the ball in the moment and cannot layer correctly enough.

tennessee has also had a really good OL, so that helps.

it's true that hyatt and tillman were gone and bru mccoy got hurt this past year, but joe was not hitting the receivers he did have, and if he did, it was at 85 mph so they couldn't handle it. tennessee's offense was basically running 55+% of the time and jailbreak screens because joe was not hendon hooker.

that being said, he's by all counts a good person, a great teammate and has all the ingredients, he just cannot put it together in the game.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dexo posted:

He does not stay calm under pressure. That man only throws the ball 50% of the time time when he faces pressure. Everything else is either a Sack or running the Ball. Has a ~25% pressure to sack rate(Fields was 24, Sam Howell was 27)

where are these stats from?

And your later post of average depth of target?

I am interested in this content

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Mentally preparing myself for the Giants passing on elite WR and OL talent to sit at 6 and draft JJ McCarthy and I gotta say it is a pretty lovely headspace to be in right now

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Iodised QQ posted:

Mentally preparing myself for the Giants passing on elite WR and OL talent to sit at 6 and draft JJ McCarthy and I gotta say it is a pretty lovely headspace to be in right now

Brother, take solace in the fact that it can always get worse.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

where are these stats from?

And your later post of average depth of target?

I am interested in this content

I pay for PFF.

Their overall Grade is whatever(seriously it's very very funny how that thing works for like corners, and OL), which gets all the public noise and ire.

But their like actual back-end stats and metrics are great.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Chris simms is my number one ranked QB who styles himself to look like a neonazi

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This rules. I hope he's able to continue playing, he was so fun to watch the past 2 years. He might never be a starter but he could be a good backup potentially.

https://x.com/RapSheet/status/1765763981757563357?s=20

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

I pay for PFF.

Their overall Grade is whatever(seriously it's very very funny how that thing works for like corners, and OL), which gets all the public noise and ire.

But their like actual back-end stats and metrics are great.

Can you link me a picture of them giving Chop Robinson a 72.2 for the Michigan game I need that to stay relevant on tik tok

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Doltos posted:

Can you link me a picture of them giving Chop Robinson a 72.2 for the Michigan game I need that to stay relevant on tik tok

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
ty sir

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

trevorreznik posted:

Who is the historical NFL equivalent of David Robinson, a super old rookie that was still awesome? Especially for someone not a QB (Kurt Warner)

Roger Staubach?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
E: nm

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

terence newman wasn't on that level but he was very good for a time and came into the league at 25. i guess that's not the answer at all since he wasn't as good as you're asking for. well, i hope you liked hearing about this one

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mike Anderson was 27 as a rookie and rushed for like 1500 yards and 15 TDs. He went downhill pretty fast but so do most RBs.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

sean10mm posted:

Roger Staubach?

Well I feel dumb considering they were both Navy. But QB makes it a bit different.

Cavauro posted:

terence newman wasn't on that level but he was very good for a time and came into the league at 25. i guess that's not the answer at all since he wasn't as good as you're asking for. well, i hope you liked hearing about this one

Nah that's a legit choice since he was a real high pick and stayed good for a real long time.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Mike Anderson was 27 as a rookie and rushed for like 1500 yards and 15 TDs. He went downhill pretty fast but so do most RBs.

I had no idea he was that old, wow.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Not quite the same, but Raheem Mostert bounced around the league for years before finally catching on with the Niners at age like 27, which is how he was able to rush for like 1100 yards and 25 TDs at age 31 when most RBs are falling apart.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sean10mm posted:

Roger Staubach?

this was my first thought too but he only started like three games in his first two years in the NFL

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Warren Moon was also like 28.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Henchman of Santa posted:

Warren Moon was also like 28.

But not because he was doing Patriotic Naval Duty, but instead was a turncoat for the perfidious canuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1766137845041791409