Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Just hit the report button, don't call attention to it within the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://archive.is/xgjXM

quote:

Only two approved foreign military sales to Israel have been made public since the start of conflict: $106 million worth of tank ammunition and $147.5 million of components needed to make 155 mm shells. Those sales invited public scrutiny because the Biden administration bypassed Congress to approve the packages by invoking an emergency authority.
Skip to end of carousel
Israel-Gaza war

But in the case of the 100 other transactions, known in government-speak as Foreign Military Sales or FMS, the weapons transfers were processed without any public debate because each fell under a specific dollar amount that requires the executive branch to individually notify Congress, according to U.S. officials and lawmakers who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive military matter.

This is conducting foreign policy and facilitating Israel’s war with the same kind of tactics a mob accountant would use to avoid hitting the dollar amount that requires the bank to notify the feds.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
drat, Joe sure does love him some genocide. Just can't get enough of it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I was told Joe was the "harm reduction" choice

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

For if you live in the US - Yes. For outside the US - No, but Trump won't be reigning in the Israelis either.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think Houthis doin' stuff is related enough it should go in this thread:

Several undersea communications cables in the Red Sea have been cut, affecting 25% of data traffic flowing between Asia and Europe, a telecoms company and a US official say.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Considering that Trump has currently declared that Gaza should be completely wiped out... he still is.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I don't like that my choice is between genocide with tons of bombs and genocide with a fuckload of bombs

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

unfortunately, yeah

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
There is an argument to be made that the Hamas acted as a result of conditions that were set into place by the Trump whitehouse. He would undoubtedly make this and other situations much, much worse.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

oh absolutely, a huge portion of the circumstances that led to the oct 7 attack were directly trump's doing, like the movement of the embassy. escalation and accelerationism are his loving specialty

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
https://apnews.com/article/yemen-houthi-attacks-us-israel-palestinians-gaza-89c5440d9943216a787b39912bd969e0

First fatalities in Houthis attacks. The True Confidence was hit by missiles and two are confirmed dead, and it seems up to three more are missing, and more injured in the blast. Turns out just firing missiles randomly isn't safe for the crew on board.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm baffled that any ships are still taking that route considering that one ship's already sunk there. You'd figure that even from a soulless MBA perspective the potential monetary loss is too big, and from any other perspective, sending your sailors through an active war zone is wildly unethical.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
War risk insurance is about 1kk while fuel costs around the Cape are also 1kk. Usually it would be like 20k so there's a huge increase, and shipping is generally a low margin business and time is always a factor.

I dont think you understand shipping. Everyone on board is expendable to the company, they are basically coffin ships and those have been a thing for centuries. Insurance bears the cost, the lives of the sailors are irrelevant, the expectation is that they die. If they survive, gently caress it just give them checks and run the company through bankruptcy before they have time to make it to the bank. Companies had no trouble running ships through there unprotected when piracy was rampant, and had no problem leaving the ships and crew to rot in Somalia instead of bothering with paying anything. Companies frequently lay ships up around the world when the vessel is too old or rates are in the dumps and abandon them and the crew.

We just got war risk rates on MLL upped in our contract but it sounds like MSC guys just get to suffer. I wonder why they can't get people. Ours is better also, we don't need to actually be hit to collect, just a clear target of attack.

It might have been the Firm of Girddlestone from Arthur Conan Doyle but it also might have been something from Kipling that was a good window into the old days I forget.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 7, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
It doesn't help that for plenty of things being shipped, how long it takes there is a very important calculation. Tacking on nearly a month extra transit time is a very big deal.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Double post, but new news.

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1765440149712720370

According to a Houthis leader, the deaths were unintentional, and they are prepared to allow America to compensate the victims. And then they will consider compensating the family of the victims by the same amount that the families are compensated in Gaza. So I assume 'none'.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

lightpole posted:

Everyone on board is expendable to the company, they are basically coffin ships and those have been a thing for centuries. Insurance bears the cost, the lives of the sailors are irrelevant, the expectation is that they die. If they survive, gently caress it just give them checks and run the company through bankruptcy before they have time to make it to the bank. Companies had no trouble running ships through there unprotected when piracy was rampant, and had no problem leaving the ships and crew to rot in Somalia instead of bothering with paying anything. Companies frequently lay ships up around the world when the vessel is too old or rates are in the dumps and abandon them and the crew.

ok but have you considered that maybe this is a great victory over capitalist imperialism because the nice man in the beret said "solidarity" on TikTok

e: I should make this serious. I honestly can't believe anyone is defending hucking missiles at uninvolved workers who are probably already getting a poo poo deal. My thoughts on this yesterday were "it's all fun and games until someone gets killed*" and welp

* yes I know people are getting killed in Gaza too, but mowing down random Filipino sailors won't make a spit of difference

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 7, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

ok but have you considered that maybe this is a great victory over capitalist imperialism because the nice man in the beret said "solidarity" on TikTok

e: I should make this serious. I honestly can't believe anyone is defending hucking missiles at uninvolved workers who are probably already getting a poo poo deal. My thoughts on this yesterday were "it's all fun and games until someone gets killed*" and welp

* yes I know people are getting killed in Gaza too, but mowing down random Filipino sailors won't make a spit of difference

People seem to really think that attacking people randomly is really loving cool as long as you say you're doing it for a cause they like.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
I bet it’s Phillip Morris. Sales of Marlboros have tanked since canal traffic had dried up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Discussion Quorum posted:

I think you're misreading their post if you think they're defending what the Houthis are doing, they're explaining that the reason ships are still being exposed to this danger is because the people who own them do not give a gently caress about crew safety and have no meaningful skin in the game financially if the ship ends up at the bottom of the Red Sea.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

PurpleXVI posted:

I think you're misreading their post if you think they're defending what the Houthis are doing, they're explaining that the reason ships are still being exposed to this danger is because the people who own them do not give a gently caress about crew safety and have no meaningful skin in the game financially if the ship ends up at the bottom of the Red Sea.

Minor quibble, the reason these crews are in danger is because their companies are sending them into the Red Sea and also because some assholes are shooting missiles at random freighters. It's not like missiles are part of the typical weather in the Red Sea this year, you know, something that just kinda happens and isn't anyone's fault.

But I am not arguing with lightpole, I agree with them. Others may have been defending the Houthis on this point (certainly they are elsewhere) but I am trying to not Post About Posters.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I do think it is kind of weird to purely blame the companies trying to ship freight through the Red Sea and not the people deliberately firing missiles at their ships. It is only a warzone because a different party is choosing to make it a warzone. According to the Houthis, most of these ships shouldn't have any worry at all, but the people killed were completely unrelated to the Gazan genocide.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Kchama posted:

I do think it is kind of weird to purely blame the companies trying to ship freight through the Red Sea and not the people deliberately firing missiles at their ships. It is only a warzone because a different party is choosing to make it a warzone. According to the Houthis, most of these ships shouldn't have any worry at all, but the people killed were completely unrelated to the Gazan genocide.

So like, one time when I was in Iraq some dumbass LT wanted to route our convoys through Route Irish (a black, dangerous route) to save time instead of just going down Tampa (safer but not always green). Everyone and their mother told him to shut the gently caress up and quit advocating for that or he's going to get fragged. So my point is, the dangerous route exists and people are being put at risk because management isn't within stabbing or grenade range of those sailors.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Kchama posted:

I mean, not to put a fine point on it, but the US and its proxies have seen fit to kill probably more than 2 people completely unrelated to the Houthis specifically by targeting shipping.

[https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famine_in_Yemen_(2016%E2%80%93present)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockade_of_Yemen

And now they're watching another US proxy/affiliated state conduct and even more devastating attack (including interdicting humanitarian supplies).

By the standards of US interventions, achieving this https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4501958-houthi-fight-pentagon-cost/amp/ while only killing 2 civilians is quite restrained. We've almost certainly killed as many civilians in Yemen to kill a single AQ leader.

It's not that killing civilians is okay, it's just that by the standards of the atrocities in the region... hell, by the standards of other atrocities the Houthis have committed, this is pretty tame.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Kchama posted:

The posts blaming the Houthis are further up the thread.

the JJ posted:

I mean, not to put a fine point on it, but the US and its proxies have seen fit to kill probably more than 2 people completely unrelated to the Houthis specifically by targeting shipping.

And now they're watching another US proxy/affiliated state conduct and even more devastating attack (including interdicting humanitarian supplies).

By the standards of US interventions, achieving this https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4501958-houthi-fight-pentagon-cost/amp/ while only killing 2 civilians is quite restrained. We've almost certainly killed as many civilians in Yemen to kill a single AQ leader.

It's not that killing civilians is okay, it's just that by the standards of the atrocities in the region... hell, by the standards of other atrocities the Houthis have committed, this is pretty tame.

This is whattaboutism and is irrelevant. Nobody has absolved the US of guilt in any of this or cares to try as far as I've seen. Noone supports Isreal beyond saying the initial Hamas attack was very very bad. Almost everyone supports a free Palestine.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 7, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Steezo posted:

So like, one time when I was in Iraq some dumbass LT wanted to route our convoys through Route Irish (a black, dangerous route) to save time instead of just going down Tampa (safer but not always green). Everyone and their mother told him to shut the gently caress up and quit advocating for that or he's going to get fragged. So my point is, the dangerous route exists and people are being put at risk because management isn't within stabbing or grenade range of those sailors.

That seems different though, because this WAS previously a safe route just a couple months ago. This would be like blaming someone for going down to Tampa instead.

the JJ posted:

And now they're watching another US proxy/affiliated state conduct and It’s a more devastating attack (including interdicting humanitarian supplies).

They’ve basically gotten lucky that they haven’t killed more people. And that seems entirely like saying it’s okay, because they’ve killed less people this time.

lightpole posted:

Yes, but the posts I was complaining about weren’t blaming them at all, and pinning the blame on people the attacked work for.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 7, 2024

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

lightpole posted:

This is whattaboutism and is irrelevant. Nobody has absolved the US of guilt in any of this or cares to try as far as I've seen. Noone supports Isreal beyond saying the initial Hamas attack was very very bad. Almost everyone supports a free Palestine.

Not whataboutism, just geopolitics. I'm not saying 'it's okay'. I'm saying it's neither random nor unprecedented, nor entirely unprovoked.

Russia invades Ukraine. US (attempts) to damage Russia economically and supplies arms to Ukraine, including some that have led to civilian deaths. Partly because we want to save Ukrainian lives, partly to shape Russian behavior, so that they (or other would be aggressors) think twice about doing it again. If they back out, we (presumably) back off sanctions, and Russians won't die at the end of NATO weapons.

Israel invades Gaza. Houthis can't provide HIMARS, but they can put pressure on US economically. Instead of controlling SWIFT, they control launch pads and munitions that can teach out into a global choke point. The goal isn't to sink ships for the lulz, they're perfectly happy if the ships go around.

But just like we say to banks 'hey, we know it's none of your business what happens in Ukraine, but if you handle transactions for these Russians, we'll arrest you and seize your assets etc. Etc. Sorry, not your fault, but we have to punish the Russians. If that upsets you, take it up with Putin.' Do the sanctions cripple Russian? Have they ended the war? No. But theoretically it adds friction and costs to the Russians in a way that fall short of, say, nuking a city, which is at the high end of deterrent options.

The Houthis say to shipping companies 'hey, if you go in the Red Sea, we might blow you up. Nothing personal, we just have to put pressure on the Americans. If that upsets you, take it up with Netanyahu.' Its not ending the war, but it's adding friction and literally upping the general cost of doing business.

Not pro-Houthi, just... frustrated by the American tendency to look at non Western powers doing what we think of as normal Western powers poo poo and going all 'what are these savages doing, flailing about at random'.

Like the point is to make a previously safe thing unsafe. Just like the US then makes certain places in Yemen unsafe to be.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_missile_strikes_in_Yemen

"On 3 January 2024, the United States and a group of countries issued an ultimatum to the Houthis to stop their activities.[40] In the days leading up to the strike, members of the US Congress and The Pentagon demanded a strong and deterrent response to the Houthis.[41]"

This too results in innocent bystanders dying.

Insofar as I have an ethical judgment, I'd say yeah, as far as pressure per civilian death, yes, this is pretty sane. That's not whataboutism, that's just efficiency metrics. These aren't random targets, they could (and have) point those missiles at Saudi cities. Other Iranian proxies in the region do poo poo like suicide bombs and shoot up music festivals. Selectively targeting big rear end economic targets with relatively few sailors on board is a much, much preferable option.

Yes, moving up to attack civilian shipping is an escalation. It's a remarkably proportionate escalation considering that they're explicitly responding to poo poo like this: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/05/middleeast/israel-fire-palestinians-aid-northern-gaza-intl/index.html.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

the JJ posted:

Not whataboutism, just geopolitics. I'm not saying 'it's okay'. I'm saying it's neither random nor unprecedented, nor entirely unprovoked.

Russia invades Ukraine. US (attempts) to damage Russia economically and supplies arms to Ukraine, including some that have led to civilian deaths. Partly because we want to save Ukrainian lives, partly to shape Russian behavior, so that they (or other would be aggressors) think twice about doing it again. If they back out, we (presumably) back off sanctions, and Russians won't die at the end of NATO weapons.

Israel invades Gaza. Houthis can't provide HIMARS, but they can put pressure on US economically. Instead of controlling SWIFT, they control launch pads and munitions that can teach out into a global choke point. The goal isn't to sink ships for the lulz, they're perfectly happy if the ships go around.

But just like we say to banks 'hey, we know it's none of your business what happens in Ukraine, but if you handle transactions for these Russians, we'll arrest you and seize your assets etc. Etc. Sorry, not your fault, but we have to punish the Russians. If that upsets you, take it up with Putin.' Do the sanctions cripple Russian? Have they ended the war? No. But theoretically it adds friction and costs to the Russians in a way that fall short of, say, nuking a city, which is at the high end of deterrent options.

The Houthis say to shipping companies 'hey, if you go in the Red Sea, we might blow you up. Nothing personal, we just have to put pressure on the Americans. If that upsets you, take it up with Netanyahu.' Its not ending the war, but it's adding friction and literally upping the general cost of doing business.

Not pro-Houthi, just... frustrated by the American tendency to look at non Western powers doing what we think of as normal Western powers poo poo and going all 'what are these savages doing, flailing about at random'.

Like the point is to make a previously safe thing unsafe. Just like the US then makes certain places in Yemen unsafe to be.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_missile_strikes_in_Yemen

"On 3 January 2024, the United States and a group of countries issued an ultimatum to the Houthis to stop their activities.[40] In the days leading up to the strike, members of the US Congress and The Pentagon demanded a strong and deterrent response to the Houthis.[41]"

This too results in innocent bystanders dying.

Insofar as I have an ethical judgment, I'd say yeah, as far as pressure per civilian death, yes, this is pretty sane. That's not whataboutism, that's just efficiency metrics. These aren't random targets, they could (and have) point those missiles at Saudi cities. Other Iranian proxies in the region do poo poo like suicide bombs and shoot up music festivals. Selectively targeting big rear end economic targets with relatively few sailors on board is a much, much preferable option.

Yes, moving up to attack civilian shipping is an escalation. It's a remarkably proportionate escalation considering that they're explicitly responding to poo poo like this: https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/05/middleeast/israel-fire-palestinians-aid-northern-gaza-intl/index.html.

So in case you missed it, this does not put pressure on the US or the Isrealis. Absolutely 0 pressure. As far as your ethical judgement pressure per civilian death along with those wonderful efficiency metrics go gently caress yourself you stupid motherfucker.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Don't be ridiculous. The reason the international response has been what it is, is because the pressure is real. And that the added costs of shipping are real. And the fact there's a bunch of warships in the Red Sea shooting at Yemen is real.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dance Officer posted:

Don't be ridiculous. The reason the international response has been what it is, is because the pressure is real. And that the added costs of shipping are real. And the fact there's a bunch of warships in the Red Sea shooting at Yemen is real.

Probably fair to say that the Houthis have applied as much or more pressure over what's going on in Gaza than the US has.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I can assure you this has a very limited impact on the cost of shipping. It’s an annoyance at best, but shipping rates were depressed so reducing availability by routing longer actually makes number go up for the shipping lines.

The governments might be seeing some pressure from cargo owners (lol there’s idiots that still believe in Just In Time) or it might just be navies going OMG PIRATES LETS GO LETS GO as they are want to do. They might also be concerned about the price of oil, because that’s an important area for that.

The True Confidence was a bulker heading from China to Jeddah loaded. Wasn’t really an option to avoid the Red Sea. Bulkers carry low value cargos, usually dirt or dirt like stuff in bulk. In this case from the movement pattern I’m guessing steel products.

Arguably a ship delivering to Saudi Arabia is a legitimate target for the Houthis, but the way modern shipping structures itself nationalities are kind of meaningless. The guys who died had nothing to do with the conflict.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I can assure you this has a very limited impact on the cost of shipping. It’s an annoyance at best, but shipping rates were depressed so reducing availability by routing longer actually makes number go up for the shipping lines.

The governments might be seeing some pressure from cargo owners (lol there’s idiots that still believe in Just In Time) or it might just be navies going OMG PIRATES LETS GO LETS GO as they are want to do. They might also be concerned about the price of oil, because that’s an important area for that.

The True Confidence was a bulker heading from China to Jeddah loaded. Wasn’t really an option to avoid the Red Sea. Bulkers carry low value cargos, usually dirt or dirt like stuff in bulk. In this case from the movement pattern I’m guessing steel products.

Arguably a ship delivering to Saudi Arabia is a legitimate target for the Houthis, but the way modern shipping structures itself nationalities are kind of meaningless. The guys who died had nothing to do with the conflict.

Attacking Saudi Arabian ships definitely breaks the peace treaty they signed with SA last year.

Also it has been confirmed to carry steel products and trucks.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
jeez guys, almost like you need to disrupt the enemy's economy during war.

personally, i think attacking civilian supply ships is a bad thing and onpy filthy terrorists would do that. a big country like the us, canada, japan, russia or nazi germany would never sink a civilian suppy ship during a war. thats never happened in the history of shipping, we are experiencing a first.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My Spirit Otter posted:

personally, i think attacking civilian supply ships is a bad thing and onpy filthy terrorists would do that. a big country like the us, canada, japan, russia or nazi germany would never sink a civilian suppy ship during a war. thats never happened in the history of shipping, we are experiencing a first.

The virgin "My treats!" :D

The chad "Its economic warfare, also we kill people"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kchama posted:

Attacking Saudi Arabian ships definitely breaks the peace treaty they signed with SA last year.

Also it has been confirmed to carry steel products and trucks.

That's the point we are trying to get across. It is not a Saudi ship.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

gently caress yeah dude, all of those container ships full of missiles and bombs for Israel, just foundering at the bottom of the Red Sea. gently caress YEAH.

Except lol wait no, it's aid shipments to loving Sudan that are being delayed because of the attacks on shipping. Guess it's just a matter of which genocide the Houthis care more about.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2024/feb/16/houthi-attacks-in-red-sea-having-a-catastrophic-effect-on-aid-to-sudan

Meanwhile Biden is apparently going to reveal plans to build a port in Gaza and open up another land border crossing for humanitarian aid during SOTU tonight, which makes me wonder if Israel's going to dust off the USS Liberty playbook or regrettably blow up an aid convoy because they saw a Hamas fighter within 10 miles.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/07/biden-us-port-gaza-aid-delivery

quote:

US forces will build a temporary port on the Gaza shoreline in the next few weeks to allow delivery of humanitarian aid on a large scale, Joe Biden will announce in the State of the Union speech.

“We are not waiting on the Israelis. This is a moment for American leadership,” a senior US official said on Thursday, reflecting growing frustration of what is seen in Washington as Israeli obstruction of road deliveries on a substantial scale.

The port will be built by US military engineers operating from ships off the Gaza coast, who will not need to step ashore, US officials said. The aid deliveries will be shipped from the port of Larnaca in Cyprus, which will become the main relief hub.

“Tonight, the president will announce in his State of the Union address that he has directed the US military to undertake an emergency mission to establish a port in Gaza, working in partnership with like minded countries and humanitarian partners,” the official said. “ This port, the main feature of which is a temporary pier, will provide the capacity for hundreds of additional truckloads of assistance each day.”

In his State of the Union speech, Biden will also announce the opening of a new land crossing into the occupied and devastated coastal strip. Biden has been fiercely criticised within his own party for the failure to open up Gaza to humanitarian aid, with a famine looming and 30,000 Palestinians dead already since the start of war on 7 October.

The Israelis will be able to conduct inspections of the aid shipments in Larnaca, administration officials said.

“We will coordinate with the Israelis on the security requirements on land and work with the UN and humanitarian NGOs on the distribution of assistance within Gaza,” a senior official said. “Initial shipments will come via Cyprus enabled by the US military and a coalition of partners and allies. This new significant capability will take a number of weeks to plan and execute. The forces that will be required to complete this mission there are either already in the region or will begin to move there soon.”

The White House said that the operation would not involve boots on the ground, as the port and its temporary pier could be built from off the coast.

“The concept that’s been planned involves the presence of US military personnel on military vessels offshore but does not require US military personnel to go ashore to instal the pier or causeway facility that will will allow the transportation and humanitarian assistance ashore,” a senior official said.

More details soon …

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Civilian shipping is explicitly protected under the Geneva Conventions and attacking it is a war crime.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Civilian shipping is explicitly protected under the Geneva Conventions and attacking it is a war crime.

It seems like the general consensus of "we must fight this war crime with another series of war crimes" was reached in some circles months ago, unfortunately.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes that is true. Unfortunately our governments decided the Conventions don't matter in this conflict, so other parties are more likely to also break them. And on the national level our moral authority to say "that's naughty" is rendered laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Meanwhile Biden is apparently going to reveal plans to build a port in Gaza and open up another land border crossing for humanitarian aid during SOTU tonight, which makes me wonder if Israel's going to dust off the USS Liberty playbook or regrettably blow up an aid convoy because they saw a Hamas fighter within 10 miles.

I would expect that the Israelis will take over the port and bury everything in red tape, "regrettably" having to destroy or seize about 90% of the aid, and "oh whoops, all those people showing up for the humanitarian aid spooked us a bit so we machinegunned them :("

That is assuming they don't just go "lmao, no, our territory, you're not building a loving port."

With regards to the Houthis blowing up everything within reach and it not really affecting Israel, I figure it's a calculated move to make the domestic audience feel like they're on the right side by opposing Israel/the big nebulous melange of "The West," attempting to make the world pay attention to the crisis by causing some trouble because they can't actually reach out and touch those majorly responsible(Israel itself, Israel's Western and regional supporters) OR all of the above.