Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Like, the grenade launcher was already faster at killing Chargers than the railgun before today, with the side benefit of actually being good against everything else too. And now that difference is even more pronounced.

I want to see a video of you shooting chargers with a grenade launcher because in my experience the GL is garbage at hurting chargers. It bounces off most parts and if you do get good hits you get a nice stagger but even chaining repeated stagger hits it does barely any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

This bug that switches you to holding a grenade after you throw a stratagem, regardless of what you were previously holding, is pretty annoying.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dinosaurs! posted:

This bug that switches you to holding a grenade after you throw a stratagem, regardless of what you were previously holding, is pretty annoying.

I had one where my body was permanently contorted into a horrible shape and my gun arm was only pointing down and to the right and couldn’t shoot straight lmao

At least I assume it was a bug

My teammate was like “u want me to just kill u?”. He was good. A real problem solver. It would be pretty funny if they made that an actual system though, your character gets mangled and you’re just useless but alive. All animations stopped working entirely so this was not working as intended it would seem

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Worf posted:

I had one where my body was permanently contorted into a horrible shape and my gun arm was only pointing down and to the right and couldn’t shoot straight lmao

At least I assume it was a bug

My teammate was like “u want me to just kill u?”. He was good. A real problem solver

In my handful of hours of playing I've already run into a few situations (usually getting stuck in terrain) where the most expedient answer is a bullet to the dome and a reinforcement, and frankly, I'm just being efficient.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The biggest feeling i'm getting off this patch is that people are losing their minds over fairly mild nerfs, and armor needs another look because heavy doesn't feel like it does anything.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Bussamove posted:

In my handful of hours of playing I've already run into a few situations (usually getting stuck in terrain) where the most expedient answer is a bullet to the dome and a reinforcement, and frankly, I'm just being efficient.

I had one charger knock me into and then underneath the corpse of another charger and I was stuck there

Obviously, I just emptied out all of my grades right there

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I never used the railgun but chargers are legitimately unfun to fight IMO and even on a team on a team-based game it feels bad when you run into something you don't have a reasonable answer for and now the game is just unfun until you slog through dealing with the unfun thing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BitBasher posted:

In the rando group I mentioned upthread that's why one of the players was using the AC. He just deleted those big green whenever they appeared even at range. Missing those made everything else much lower pressure without the artillery coming in. That and charger asses. The AC is a solid swiss army knife as long as someone has harder Anti Armor like an EAT or railgun to make up the difference on a charger leg and such. Grenade launcher is great in that job as well.

AC can blow out the charger's leg armor too. You just need to hit the 'inside' part of the leg(the side facing the charger) and it only takes 1 shot. Depending on your angle it might be easier to blow out the back leg's armor rather than the usual front legs.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 7, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao how the gently caress is anyone using the flamethrower in this patch and saying it's bad? You can kill 4 chargers with a single mag and it basically instagibs everything lighter than a charger

I thought it was significantly better against most enemies but I had a hard time dealing with even one charger so I don't fully get this. You have to get so close to hit it with the flame and it felt like I emptied one mag into it and it kept running around unfazed. You move slowly when shooting it too so it was harder to reposition. I think it's really good now and definitely worth bringing but I still had trouble with chargers. Maybe I just haven't really figured it out yet.

The meteor shower loving sucks though. It shows you where it's landing but you have so little time to react it just felt random. Maybe it was harder to see on the surface of the moon but people are making it sound way easier to avoid than it is.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's my standard experience with chargers and bile titans
https://i.imgur.com/fLim3II.mp4

Yeah a guy does shoot the bile titan with a railgun but he didn't 1-shot it :colbert:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

chargers ain't poo poo, just get out of the way lmao.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

light armor feels pretty terrible now, you drop to a sneeze (used to require a harsh sneeze)

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

chargers are literally like 3 or 4 grenades to the rear end to kill, which takes less time to fire than it does to charge up a single railgun shot.

Are you counting the time it takes for the charger to walk within charging range and then charge past you to expose their butt? Because you could just break the leg armor in about 3 seconds pre-patch with the Railgun from any distance.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 7, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Baby T. Love posted:

Are you counting the time it takes for the charger to walk within charging range and then charge past you to expose their butt? Because you could just break the leg armor in about 3 seconds pre-patch with the Railgun from any distance.

Using virtually any weapon other than the railgun, you can spend that time taking out all the small bugs which are the real threat instead.

Like yes you can kill Chargers from range with a railgun. But that leaves time for the actually threatening enemies to approach. You could instead spend that time killing the threatening enemies, effortlessly pirouette around the charger without having to worry about small enemies, and blow it up once it passes you.

The chargers are only scary because you're having to focus on small enemies at the same time, and it's easier to wipe the small enemies from the board which neuters the chargers.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Fabricated posted:

I never used the railgun but chargers are legitimately unfun to fight IMO and even on a team on a team-based game it feels bad when you run into something you don't have a reasonable answer for and now the game is just unfun until you slog through dealing with the unfun thing.

What level are you? Even at low levels an EAT makes them very simple if you just blow the armor off a leg then shoot that leg with anything. The RR can do it the same way as well. The AC to the butt takes 4 or so direct shots and grenades are about 4 or 5.

EDIT: Don't shoot a charger in the face with anything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

suddenly noticed something a little off in the corner of the screen a few minutes after some pubs joined

loving dumbasses doing that in public games

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

tokenbrownguy posted:

chargers ain't poo poo, just get out of the way lmao.

'made launchers are seriously underrated, I'm not sure why people are trying to rail snipe something with 100% forward armor. Religious adherence to any form of cookie-cutter meta is for dipshits IMO and will make you sad and send vitriolic hate mails when someone inevitably finds its achilles heel

source: Destiny 2

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's weird calling chargers "not threatening" when they're one of the few bugs that can actually do anything about you just walking away. Almost the entire roster of bugs can't do anything about you taking a brisk stroll, it's only Bile Titans, Chargers, Bile Spewers, Hive Commanders, Hunters, and Stalkers. The last three can be easily solved by "just shoot them with your primary" and Bile Spewers can be solved by hitting them with any explosive weapon or any stratagem.

e: Like, you can rodeo them endlessly when they're alone but that's still far more engaging than anything a hundred warriors or hive guards or whatever can do.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Catching up with the thread. No opinions on the patch yet but hopefully grouping up with some friends tonight to spread some managed democracy and look forward to checking out the changes to the Laser Cannon in particular as that definitely sounds more in line with what I was hoping it would be rather than what it was.

Some of the posting in the last few pages has been pretty poo poo.
Discussing what you do and don't like about the game and patch is fine, tedious slapfights and personal attacks are not. Thread moves pretty fast so please report stuff that goes over the line.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

One thing I will say is that the game is crashy as hell tonight on PS5. Ive just crashed out of 3 games in 15-20 minutes each.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
They need to have a commercial in the ship showing blowing off the leg armor and shooting it because I feel like people are unloading on the head of the charger when it isn’t a weak spot. An icon like the ricochet icon when you are hitting something that does damage but not very much would help people realize that shooting it’s rear end with primary doesn’t do much.

The whole thread has no real idea on how to kill chargers properly and that’s on the game honestly.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Rectal Death Alert posted:

i think the balance/nerf argument is getting so out of hand because the game has the interest of so many people and there isn't really new content coming out on a scale that would make them happy. No one has anything better to do.

The changes are fine, the game isn't impossible. There are six ways to kill everything.

They’re gonna release mechs and vehicles and no one is going to give a poo poo about railgun balance.

Flamethrower feels pretty awesome now, you can basically kill a charger with one dodge and a half tank. Autocannon sentry also deletes chargers and titans, though it can be a bit of a friendly fire magnet vs bugs.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I learned those little flying backpack drones can perfectly stop an AC round at head height. Oops.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the commit rate has loving crashed, no one finishes anything anymore

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Since chargers have apparently terrorized an entire generation of humanity please try out the 110mm rocket pods instead of the old meta airstrike or other less useful strikes in the specific context of the charger. If they literally crawl into your nightmares at night as the one singular source of your problems then you wouldn't be worried about things like cluster bombs that just clears some trash or airstrike which can definitely gently caress a charger up but rarely kill it unless you hit it just right.

With the current max eagle bay you can get 3 uses of rocket pod per eagle rearm. I used it a lot and it will hit 75%+ of the time. On hit it either kills the charger or explodes half of it leaving it bleeding and nearly dead.

They can even 2 shot titans.

If you focus eagles, throw them often and have rearm happening frequently you get the ability to kill 10+ chargers in a 40 minute mission with that one strategem alone. Even half paying attention and getting 5 2 minute rearms in a 20-30 minute mission is 15 hits with it. From one person. This doesn't include the 10 500kg or 20 Airstrikes you would get in the same 5 rearms if either were equipped. More dead chargers.

There is no reason to fear the bugs.

Unless they also nerf eagles because they are so good. I guess use Orbital Laser/Orbital Railcannon if that happens.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

110mm pods/500kg is a pro eagle loadout for bug missions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Here's my standard experience with chargers and bile titans
https://i.imgur.com/fLim3II.mp4

Yeah a guy does shoot the bile titan with a railgun but he didn't 1-shot it :colbert:

The Arc thrower was probably doing some damage there too...

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I just end up using 2 EAT rockets to take out the titan.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

light armor feels pretty terrible now, you drop to a sneeze (used to require a harsh sneeze)

ok armor may actually just be bugged or damage to players is not working right currently. I just took this very small amount of damage from full health from one of these bugs' jumping attacks wearing very light armor:

in the previous match, I got hit by that exact same attack while having more health than this and wearing heavy armor, and keeled over dead on the spot

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Owl Inspector posted:

ok armor may actually just be bugged or damage to players is not working right currently. I just took this very small amount of damage from full health from one of these bugs' jumping attacks wearing very light armor:

in the previous match, I got hit by that exact same attack while having more health than this and wearing heavy armor, and keeled over dead on the spot

Apparently bug attacks have a chance to crit and deal 3x damage.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Arc thrower was probably doing some damage there too...

The arc thrower just seems to kill chargers in about 7-9 zaps, which if you see him coming and start firing in a pretty good rhythm you'll probably have to dodge his charge once. Honestly the weapon is borderline OP, even with all the issues it has targeting bushes and who knows what doodads and corpses. I dunno, though, the team killing potential is high and it's rough if enemies manage to get close. Though dive->fire helps with that, and definitely takes practice. It's a good weapon.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

skaianDestiny posted:

Apparently bug attacks have a chance to crit and deal 3x damage.

yeah bugs can definitely do critical hits

i found that out getting juggled against a wall by an absurd amount of stalkers for 6 entire stims.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Why do I get kicked after doing 2/3 missions of a difficulty 8 op all the time? Is it just cause the missions are long and people are taking a break after two?

I don't think I'm team killing or anything and we always succeed the first two missions?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Owl Inspector posted:

The issue is that enemies can get headshots, which of course armor does not protect against

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntp6SJ58Lsk

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Triarii posted:

The issue is that enemies can get headshots, which of course armor does not protect against

Ah this makes so much more sense, and is also IMO really stupid.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

kaxman posted:

Ah this makes so much more sense, and is also IMO really stupid.

I agree, just makes the game feel (even more) random. Bit too simulationist for its own good.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Darox posted:

I want to see a video of you shooting chargers with a grenade launcher because in my experience the GL is garbage at hurting chargers. It bounces off most parts and if you do get good hits you get a nice stagger but even chaining repeated stagger hits it does barely any damage.

i use the gl most of the time on bug missions. theyre not bad but not great against chargers. the trick is to shoot under them aiming near their back end when theyre facing you. still takes 4-6 shots though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntp6SJ58Lsk

this explains a lot, and does not spark joy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kazinsal posted:

110mm pods/500kg is a pro eagle loadout for bug missions.

Since i got the upgrade for extra eagles I've loved airstrikes\cluster\500 kg

The airstrikes close bug holes or wound\kill chargers. clusters handle so much chaff and 500 kg handle chargers\titans

worked really well. 110 pods would be pretty good too, i could definitely see replacing 500 kg with them since they'd serve the same purpose.

i think the key to running multiple eagles for me has been not being shy about using them. You wanna deplete them roughly at the same time and don't be shy about calling in rearm if there's down time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man i can't believe crossplay friend invites is still loving broken to poo poo, and all the workarounds people have found to make it work don't for me.