Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Astro7x posted:

So you can not only change the pinning mechanic to button mashing, but you can also apparently switch all button mashing mini games to just press-ant-hold as an accessibility features.

Would using press-and-hold mean that you're just button mashing at the fastest possible amount allowed? Like is there a disadvantage of playing like that? I personally always hated the pin minigame, and by daughter would fail it every time at the first pinfall attempt.

This was available in 22/23, your hold just fills up the circle but after enough damage it just doesn't fill up fast enough to kick out, whereas with the timed one you could maybe last forever if you were good? I only used the hold version just to make life easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
So is Universe Mode still a barely functioning piece of poo poo or what?

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Shard posted:

Honestly I'm with you. I can't even play the old games anymore. Any time I do I'm just like eh I don't wanna see those characters. Same with the new ones

I concur. Like I haven't even been following NL's coverage of it. But nothing stops capitalism.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Majinfoose posted:

I concur. Like I haven't even been following NL's coverage of it. But nothing stops capitalism.

right. I'm not gonna rain on anyone's parade this is a personal thing. I got all these games set up on my steam deck for my son, but every time I thought to install Smackdown 2, No Mercy, Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain I thought about it for a few seconds and just lost all interest. Don't know if that will ever change honestly.

So I installed Def Jam Vendetta and FFNY instead.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Shard posted:

right. I'm not gonna rain on anyone's parade this is a personal thing. I got all these games set up on my steam deck for my son, but every time I thought to install Smackdown 2, No Mercy, Shut Your Mouth and Here Comes the Pain I thought about it for a few seconds and just lost all interest. Don't know if that will ever change honestly.

The superior choice, honestly

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Honest question and not trolling: everyone that is (justifiably) disgusted by the game has quit watching WWE entirely right?

I get it if that’s the deal. The company itself is still as awful as it’s always been.

(still watching myself, all respect due if you don’t)

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Fly Ricky posted:

Honest question and not trolling: everyone that is (justifiably) disgusted by the game has quit watching WWE entirely right?

I get it if that’s the deal. The company itself is still as awful as it’s always been.

Yes, I haven't watched WWE in years. I used to be curious about the games, and used to pick them up when they go into deep discount, but I haven't done that in years either.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i wish someone made a game that played like here comes the pain and had a somewhat varied infinite (or very long) season mode and wasnt tied to the wwe, but it doesnt exist, alas

i will continue simming my Brawl For All But For Real fed in fire pro world until that comes to pass

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Fly Ricky posted:

I haven't been posting much here at PSP, even though I was very active in what had to be it's really lovely wrestling years (raw guest stars, NXT reality show, etc)

I have tried to get into AEW, but have quickly dropped off when it's 2 hour Dynamite became a dynamite, rampage, collision, keep up the dots, so I just became focused on the PPVs and even then, only if there isn't anything else. Even though I really like so many of the talent there.

Going back to WWE after finding out vince stooges are gone and it's HHH, I was hoping it's more like the only thing I did enjoy - NXT in the Full Sail era. When it was an hour on WWE Network and nobody cared.

It's better, way better, no more headaches from Kevin Dunn, but the second that news broke, and reading the lawsuit, I just got very disgusted, almost like Jim Valley.

It's hard to put it into words, I try justifying it, "well it's the business side, that's not the wrestling games," and it's really tough to get back into it.

I remember how terrible 2k20 was and thought that was it, but then, every December these games are like $20 and it's on Steam, so I gotta give it a go...

I try to do the road to Wrestlemania, the rumble and the mania and then leave again, and just watch whatever is in the MOTY thread.

It's going to be tougher, because for me, I have a peacock subscription for something other than the WWE Network, and that is still going into the pocket.

Same thing when that Netflix deal rolls around.

I think the biggest problem is the WWE games is the best part about it is the customization, with wrestlers, moves, entrances, arenas, and that to me is what keeps be coming back.

And it really really sucks, because I don't know most of this roster. I don't care to pay $120 to unlock a skin, or get "Pat McAfee and Pals"

I just want a really stupid, janky game where the hamburglar can rock bottom santa claus through a flaming table

But that's not without giving WWE a cut off it's purchase, because of the IP.

I might just wait until mania weekend or Christmas when it's going to be at discount, just so I can continue the dumb poo poo in the game.

But it's really difficult, it's my favorite slop every year, and I just wish there was a better alternative.

No, it's not fight forever
And while fire pro is great, just in it's control and creation, it's only 2D sprites and I love that ragdoll stupidity.

Edit: example of the stupidity

https://twitter.com/FadeAwayMedia/status/1765239834300309545?t=wzvw6F9-_EebNMB35TJn_Q&s=19

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Shard posted:

Put Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 on there with the translation installed (or maybe not dude)

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

super macho dude posted:

Put Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 on there with the translation installed (or maybe not dude)

still the best wrestling game imo

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

for sure. I stopped watching it years ago because it's such a lovely show. Between this and the Saudi deal I never have any interest in ever watching again unless it's gutted, becomes a much better show and stops working with Saudi. None of those things will ever happen. And honestly it doesn't matter - they are making more money than ever and don't care if I don't watch so whatever.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

super macho dude posted:

oh yeah I got this one too

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The show is garbage, the game is garbage, at least do "no ethical consumption under capitalism" for things that are actually worth consuming.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Gumball Gumption posted:

The show is garbage, the game is garbage, at least do "no ethical consumption under capitalism" for things that are actually worth consuming.

I'll have you know that I saw a video on YouTube that detailed how WWE is just like the Marvel Cinematic Universe back when it was good. I assume that's what it was about I thumbs downed and closed the video about a minute in.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

super macho dude posted:

I'm not familiar with Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. What's the elevator pitch on it over HCTP and such? The name sounds like they may not have gotten a license, is it all like Fire Pro style obvious clones?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not familiar with Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. What's the elevator pitch on it over HCTP and such? The name sounds like they may not have gotten a license, is it all like Fire Pro style obvious clones?

its the most complete AKI engine n64 title that has the licenses for various japanese promotions and wrestlers with a lot of american wrestlers peppered in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGBbpCkBcPc

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 6, 2024

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

It’s No Mercy but with wrestlers from all the Japanese promotions. And it has an MMA mode

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I remember looking into how to make custom N64 cartridges last year and got really into the idea of putting a translated VPW2 on it. Haven’t gotten around to that yet.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 is the same engine as Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy, and it's licensed with AJPW wrestlers and has Fire Pro-esque fictionalized versions of other Japanese promotions wrestlers and MMA guys.

Since it has MMA guys it has a more advanced striking and grappling system than 2000 and No Mercy, but it doesn't have running grapples.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Oh, neat! I had assumed since it was brought up as a response to HCTP and Def Jam it was a PS2 game. The AKI Engine games aren't especially my cup of tea personally due to not growing up with them, but its cool there's a puro option, especially in that specific time period. Thanks for the info!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

but also the best wrestling games are the Giant Gram games

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Alaois posted:

but also the best wrestling games are the Giant Gram games

Those games always looked so loving cool to me

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also, here's a mildly interesting thing my Google Headlines showed me about 2k24: the ring breaking Superplex is back, but it's not a scripted OMG Move anymore. Instead, you have to craft it yourself, using the following ingredients. First, you need either a 400+ pound CAW or one of the following, at red health:
Andre the Giant, Braun Strowman, Bronson Reed, Ivar, Omos, Otis, Rikishi, Umaga, Vader, Yokozuna

Then prop them up in the bottom left corner and use a Superplex from the following stars or a very high strength Heavyweight CAW:
Big E, Bobby Lashley, Bray Wyatt, Drew McIntyre, Gunther, John Cena, Kevin Owens, LA Knight, Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, Sheamus, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, The Undertaker, Triple H

At which point the animation should play and the match be awarded by KO to the attacker. Is this better than just being able to give the Ring Breaker OMG to anyone? I personally don't think so but there it is.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the game is for watching and playing with caws, fun is not important

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

So can I just get a N64 flash cart and just put a bunch of different modded versions of No Mercy?

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Majinfoose posted:

So can I just get a N64 flash cart and just put a bunch of different modded versions of No Mercy?

As long as they don’t rely on texture replacements since that’s an emulator only feature.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

projecthalaxy posted:

Also, here's a mildly interesting thing my Google Headlines showed me about 2k24: the ring breaking Superplex is back, but it's not a scripted OMG Move anymore. Instead, you have to craft it yourself, using the following ingredients. First, you need either a 400+ pound CAW or one of the following, at red health:
Andre the Giant, Braun Strowman, Bronson Reed, Ivar, Omos, Otis, Rikishi, Umaga, Vader, Yokozuna

Then prop them up in the bottom left corner and use a Superplex from the following stars or a very high strength Heavyweight CAW:
Big E, Bobby Lashley, Bray Wyatt, Drew McIntyre, Gunther, John Cena, Kevin Owens, LA Knight, Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, Sheamus, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, The Undertaker, Triple H

At which point the animation should play and the match be awarded by KO to the attacker. Is this better than just being able to give the Ring Breaker OMG to anyone? I personally don't think so but there it is.

the deep insight I’m here for

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Majinfoose posted:

no pretty much none of the mods work but you can have the fan translated Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. Its how im playing right now, Super Delfin smacking up CIMA and hitting big dives.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I have tried to get into AEW, but have quickly dropped off when it's 2 hour Dynamite became a dynamite, rampage, collision, keep up the dots, so I just became focused on the PPVs and even then, only if there isn't anything else. Even though I really like so many of the talent there.

I just want a really stupid, janky game where the hamburglar can rock bottom santa claus through a flaming table

But that's not without giving WWE a cut off it's purchase, because of the IP.

But it's really difficult, it's my favorite slop every year, and I just wish there was a better alternative.

Word. Pretty much where I’m at. I bailed buying them new after WWE 2k14.

Without story creator/custom soundtracks Universe mode isn’t floating my boat despite how far CAWs have come in recent years.

Still skip through Raw/Smackdown most weeks to the few things that interest me. Don’t know anyone from NXT.

Very similar relationship with UFC events and their respective games as well. Undisputed 3 (PRIDE mode) was the last one that stood out in my eyes.

Thanks for the replies and glad no one took offense. Punchsports are the bees knees and cow manure simultaneously.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I want Fire Pro on my Switch and I want the DLC to not have stupid prices

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh, neat! I had assumed since it was brought up as a response to HCTP and Def Jam it was a PS2 game. The AKI Engine games aren't especially my cup of tea personally due to not growing up with them, but its cool there's a puro option, especially in that specific time period. Thanks for the info!
VPW2 also has a pretty great Unlockable feature, filled with weird little ways to unlock more wrestlers & hidden costumes. In 2024 it's just a matter of googling how to do it, but when the game first came out, there was weird unlocks like the after you powered up the game 20x, it unlocked the CAW moves list from WCW/NWO, 40× unlocked Wrestlemania 2000 moves, etc... unlocking playable wrestlers got even more involved. It's awesome.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Fly Ricky posted:

Very similar relationship with UFC events and their respective games as well. Undisputed 3 (PRIDE mode) was the last one that stood out in my eyes.

Thanks for the replies and glad no one took offense. Punchsports are the bees knees and cow manure simultaneously.

It's all good friend, PSP has always been my favorite board to talk all this wacky bizarre stuff, and I am happy to get to make so many friends along the way.

Plus, there is always just ragdolling in that jank MDickie game!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fly Ricky posted:

Word. Pretty much where I’m at. I bailed buying them new after WWE 2k14.

Without story creator/custom soundtracks Universe mode isn’t floating my boat despite how far CAWs have come in recent years.

Still skip through Raw/Smackdown most weeks to the few things that interest me. Don’t know anyone from NXT.

It's hard to get into something when you don't follow it regularly.

I will fully admit that I went to the first All In and did not find it that enjoyable. I knew it would be a big show, I don't live that far from the arena, and it had a big hype around it. And when I managed to get a ticket somehow when it sold out in 30 minutes, cool! But like... I knew who NONE of these people were. I didn't understand why people were chanting Cero Miedo. I didn't know why the crowd went so crazy for dick druids. And I had no idea who this Okada guy was. But the crowd was wild and it seemed like they enjoyed it, so I gave it a chance and really liked what eventually became AEW.

I would assume that these game are fire for any hardcore WWE fan, just by simply having almost the entire main roster in the game along with all the notables from NXT. But as a casual, I don't really care about most of these guys, and I certainly don't care about things like unlocking a gold Bianca Belair MyFaction card or whatever.

The 40 years of Wrestlemania mode looked fun, but the reviews of it seem kind of lame. But the legends roster looks nice enough where I'd consider picking this up just for that. The last WWE game I bought was WWE 13 which had the Attitude Era mode, and that roster alone made it fun and worth getting.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

2k24 looks especially buggy compared to 2k23, newLegacy broke the poo poo out of it on the midnight release stream.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Does 2k24 still have the 100 caw/1000 image limit?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Drakkel posted:

Does 2k24 still have the 100 caw/1000 image limit?

yes.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Lol

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

super macho dude posted:

2k24 looks especially buggy compared to 2k23, newLegacy broke the poo poo out of it on the midnight release stream.

1; Any major release is now going to be broken to some degree out of the gate, since people still buy versions that should be betas at full price and wait for them to be patched.

2: New Legacy could open up Excel and find a way to break that within 15-30 minutes, probably by Jawnny doing simple subtractions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

super macho dude posted:

VPW2 also has a pretty great Unlockable feature, filled with weird little ways to unlock more wrestlers & hidden costumes. In 2024 it's just a matter of googling how to do it, but when the game first came out, there was weird unlocks like the after you powered up the game 20x, it unlocked the CAW moves list from WCW/NWO, 40× unlocked Wrestlemania 2000 moves, etc... unlocking playable wrestlers got even more involved. It's awesome.

It was funny to see they gave the same moveset to Giant Baba and Mae Young. Also you can play as Gran Naniwa and do the crab walk elbow and it rules