Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Maybe the article was written by gpt???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

That and being the best to ever wear a white rope is nowhere near enough to overcome the sin of not being Japanese in the eyes of a lot of the JSA. Especially the ones who are deeply shamed by how much better he is at the sport than they ever could have been, and whose entire claim to significance is the traditional reverence of elders.

They will hate him to their dying day for daring to be better than the homegrown talent.

I imagine the JSA are quietly seething that of the six wrestlers that have been promoted to Yokozuna in the 2000s only 1 has been Japanese. And his career consisted of 12 bashos at the rank and he only managed to compete for the full 15 days at two of them. Though I suppose it doesn't help their view of the Mongolian yokozunas that two of the five were thrown out of sumo for violence.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
They also hate that from Asashoryu onwards they have been treated as a joke by the yokozunas varying from just being ignored to open hostile disdain. They want to flex so hard on Hakuho who was their better in every way for nearly 20 years because they're sumo not him drat it.

Like remember everytime a yokozuna, even Kakuryu the most anonymous yokozuna, took time off they'd release a pitiful warning if oh you better compete next tournament and they were all yeah OK mate. Terunofuji is now treating them like jokes by doing whatever he wants.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Terunofuji has all the leverage he could ever want for it. None of the current Ozeki are likely to make a Yokozuna run any time soon, they're not consistently doing yusho-level sumo.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Of all the reasons the JSA is wary of Hak, I think the thing that scares them the most isn't (entirely) the Mongolian thing, but the most Japanese dude of them all, Takanohana. The fiery, charismatic megastar with the cult of personality and people loyal to him first rather than the org nearly broke them trying to take down the ichimon. The last straw with Taka was 2018 which wasn't too much time before Hak starting to miss tourneys and the retirement talk started so it's pretty easy to see the JSA thinking "Nope, Hak's as much of a hothead as Taka. Not dealing with that again" when it came to the ichidai-toriyoshi status and probably their relationship with him in general.

They also ran a similar playbook on Taka as they are doing to Hak, too. They didn't suspend him from his stable, but they kicked him out of his elected board post, being the first guy to be fired from the board of directors. And then they kept kicking him out of stuff like the shimpan team and dropped him all the way to the lowest rank until he quit.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

pseudodragon posted:

Of all the reasons the JSA is wary of Hak, I think the thing that scares them the most isn't (entirely) the Mongolian thing, but the most Japanese dude of them all, Takanohana. The fiery, charismatic megastar with the cult of personality and people loyal to him first rather than the org nearly broke them trying to take down the ichimon. The last straw with Taka was 2018 which wasn't too much time before Hak starting to miss tourneys and the retirement talk started so it's pretty easy to see the JSA thinking "Nope, Hak's as much of a hothead as Taka. Not dealing with that again" when it came to the ichidai-toriyoshi status and probably their relationship with him in general.

They also ran a similar playbook on Taka as they are doing to Hak, too. They didn't suspend him from his stable, but they kicked him out of his elected board post, being the first guy to be fired from the board of directors. And then they kept kicking him out of stuff like the shimpan team and dropped him all the way to the lowest rank until he quit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/dc29ec54dfeaaf4330c201d2c5f7fa8f20c429be

DeepL posted:

On the 28th, Tamagaki Oyakata (former kobun Tomonohana), who became acting master of the Miyagino stable of the Grand Sumo Association following the assault incident at the Miyagino stable, led a practice session for the first time at the stable in Osaka City. The three-and-a-half-hour session began around 8:00 a.m. and ended at 11:30 a.m. After the closed-door practice, he gave an interview, saying, "Everyone is practicing well. They are all honest and good kids."

He joined the team on the evening of the 27th. He gathered the rikishi, Miyagino Oyakata (former yokozuna Hakuho), and others, explained the severity of the situation, and gave them advice on how to prepare for the future. He explained the severity of the situation and explained his preparedness for the future. He explained to them that they would be restricted from going out, except for minimal shopping and visits to the hospital for medical treatment. "I told them that I would make sure that they could act responsibly in the future. That is what I told them first. The rikishi accepted the situation honestly, and Miyagino Oyakata fully understands the current situation. He accepted the situation with a mysterious expression on his face."

As for the heavy responsibility of rebuilding the stable, Rikishi stated clearly, "I am already prepared for it. If there is a recurrence of the scandal, I and others will be fired. I came here so that scandals would never happen again."

From now on, his Isekehama clan will discuss how to manage the Miyagino stable and consult with the Japan Sumo Association and the Compliance Committee. In the worst case scenario, the situation could lead to closure. Tamagaki Oyakata said, "Since they are close to our relatives, I think they want to be treated in the best possible way. I am also of the opinion that the future of the remaining wrestlers should not be closed to them, but should be made available to them," Tamagaki said. On the other hand, he also faced reality: "However, the Association and the Compliance Committee will make a judgment based on the world's viewpoint, and they may make a harsh decision."

There are only 10 days left until the Spring Tournament. Tamagaki Oyakata said, "I think the rikishi are anxious. I hope that by showing that you are working hard, you will change the way people look at you."

The "mysterious expression" part I think is better translated as "serious expression" or "sincere expression" instead. Sounds like things are still pretty touch and go.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 29, 2024

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Not sure I understand the strict controls thrown down on the wrestlers remaining in Miyagino-beya-- the oyakata is being punished and Hokuseiho has been drummed out of sumo entirely. Why punish the people that were by all accounts victims?

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Telling the others not to talk to the media as part of CYA, I assume.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tamagoyaki-Oyakata is setting a baseline. This is to help shield the wrestlers from the press/public so they can concentrate on Osaka, and to make sure everyone is on the same page. I figure it'll be eased off once the basho is over.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Fearless posted:

Not sure I understand the strict controls thrown down on the wrestlers remaining in Miyagino-beya-- the oyakata is being punished and Hokuseiho has been drummed out of sumo entirely. Why punish the people that were by all accounts victims?

Because Sumo is Sumo and some of them think the actual problem isn't the bullying it is that people found out about it, but that looks bad, so they have to say the problem is the bullying. it's the same poo poo why almost nobody is allowed to have social media stuff anymore, even Tochinoshin's Twitter takes a timeskip from like 2018(around when this was implemented officially) to May 2023 (when he announced retirement). I think the attitude was always there about heya secrecy but it took them so long to catch up on technology/social media so there was a bit of a golden age of being open.

I mean look at this attached picture, we used to get stuff like this all the time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just some big dudes hanging out. Love that kind of sumo content.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2024/03/01/0017383905.shtml
Michinoku stable is closing in April, as Michinoku-oyakata has hit retirement age. Rikishi are expected to go to other stables in the Tokitsukaze group (Arashio, Isenoumi, Oitekaze, Otowayama, Tokitsukaze).

Otowayama-oyakata is Yokozuna Kakuryu.

Be interesting to see where Kirishima ends up.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I kinda hope he goes to Kakuryu's, the others are already pretty stacked.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
https://youtu.be/eEzhzRivs8w?si=vXLCiU6X0lEeWAl4

In which Hiro Morita marvels at Kotonowaka's thighs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kakuryu always struck me as the most laid back Yokozuna during his run. The only warnings he really got were not competing due to injury, but Hakuho and Kisenosato got those too. Just seems like he never really rubbed the JSA the wrong way with his personality.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Kakuryu was never a late hit, rough sumo or ego guy. Just doing quality sumo as long as his body held up and stopping when it was time.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Kakuryu always struck me as the most laid back Yokozuna during his run. The only warnings he really got were not competing due to injury, but Hakuho and Kisenosato got those too. Just seems like he never really rubbed the JSA the wrong way with his personality.

Yeah, he seemed like a go with the flow kind of guy, but maybe that's just because he shared time with someone as flamboyant as Hak and as popular as Kise so he was just out of the spotlight.

Most of the Michinoku guys winding up with Kak would make sense. He was there before branching out so he knows and has worked with Kiri and some of the others so it would be a natural landing spot assuming they had a good relationship.

But in the SPT where Hiro interviewed Kak, he also said he wanted to start smaller to give a more personal touch to training so maybe he can't take everyone. He doesn't have any coaches under him so unless he brings one of the Michinoku sub coaches in he might not have the infrastructure to take everyone.

Edit

https://www.sanspo.com/article/20240302-6OXVHMASSFPOXIEFFSNUFDSPZU/

If the translation is accurate, looks like Kiri is hooking up with Kak. Also says Michinoku is staying as a consultant and joining Otowayama himself.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 2, 2024

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

the grumpy old men in both the YDC and the NSK seem to love terunofuji as well and i'm sure he'll have zero issues being an oyakata after retirement.

this isn't to deny racism can still be a factor as you can find plenty of examples in western sports of how a minority who breaks an unwitten rule or is "too outspoken" can face insane blowback and scrutiny.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

the grumpy old men in both the YDC and the NSK seem to love terunofuji as well and i'm sure he'll have zero issues being an oyakata after retirement.

this isn't to deny racism can still be a factor as you can find plenty of examples in western sports of how a minority who breaks an unwitten rule or is "too outspoken" can face insane blowback and scrutiny.

Yeah, it's like if you are foreign and play by the rules, you can get some leeway (see Naruto/Kotoshu not getting destroyed by scandal, Musashimaru having a pretty normal oyakata career).

And if you are an outspoken Japanese dude you get some extra rope but you can still push it too far (Takanohana).

But if you're an outspoken foreign dude, you start on thin ice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wasn't there a scandal in Isegahama-beya last year where the oyakata had to step down? I seem to recall that since it was Terunofuji's stable. I wonder if he'll eventually take over the stable if the don't have a master who can take over operations.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I hope that a lot of what has been reported is just speculation and exaggeration from the tabloids and that the JSA isn't looking to break apart Miyagino-beya and drive Miyagino himself out entirely.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Fearless posted:

I hope that a lot of what has been reported is just speculation and exaggeration from the tabloids and that the JSA isn't looking to break apart Miyagino-beya and drive Miyagino himself out entirely.

Probably the whole of the JSA is not. But there are definitely multiple highly-placed elders who ARE looking to drive MIyagino out. The stable is whatever, Hakuho is the "problem."

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Wasn't there a scandal in Isegahama-beya last year where the oyakata had to step down? I seem to recall that since it was Terunofuji's stable. I wonder if he'll eventually take over the stable if the don't have a master who can take over operations.

Isegahama is 63 now so the timing might work out for Teru. He turns 65 before the July 25 basho so if Teru is the successor, we're looking at Teri's last 8 basho. The only current coach in the stable is former M6 Homarefuji and the only other active guy in the running is probably Takarafuji.

Teru got his citizenship in 2021 so it seems like he wants to stick around.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Teru also has yokozuna privilege, so he could retire now and be Terunofuji-oyakata for five years if he's got a kabu locked down but not yet available.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Khizan posted:

Teru also has yokozuna privilege, so he could retire now and be Terunofuji-oyakata for five years if he's got a kabu locked down but not yet available.

Didn't they do away with that when Hakuho was about to retire, or was that something else that the JSA changed at the time?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The thing they killed was the lifetime elder status for the most successful yokozuna.

The temporary status for ozeki and yokozuna still exists. Kakuryu coached under it for two years as Kakuryu-oyakata until he got his kabu back in December 2023.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Khizan posted:

Yeah, if he blows his knee tomorrow or something he can retire and hang out for a bit until Isegahama retires if that's the plan, but I'm thinking the other way around, where Isegahama reaches mandatory retirement at which point Teru would have to decide whether to hang it up as an active wrestler and take over or let someone else have it. Not sure what the rules/taboos around an interim or transitionary coach would be in that case, like if Teru's still got some wins left in him if they could have someone else take the beya but then do a little switcheroo after a year or whatever when Teru is ready.

Khizan posted:

The temporary status for ozeki and yokozuna still exists. Kakuryu coached under it for two years as Kakuryu-oyakata until he got his kabu back in December 2023.

To expand a bit, the temp status is 3 years for ozeki and 5 for yokos. So that the best dudes aren't forced out if they suffer an untimely injury or something where they are forced to retire but there's no open kabu for them to take immediately. It also removes the sad incentive for for an ozeki to tumble down the banzuke until something frees up or a yoko to hang keep withdrawing with no shot of returning.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Apparently Terunofuji is not certain whether he will compete in tournament.

That would probably make Kirishima the favorite. Hopefully Kotonowaka has a better first showing at ozeki than the other recently promoted folks.

Edit: Looks like a day later and he's confirmed to at least start the tournament.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 6, 2024

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hey not to be that guy or anything but are we doing fantasy sumo this basho? If everyone is too busy I get it but I just wanted to say something before it got too late.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

We are! Sorry, the post is incoming tonight.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Okay it's a little late but let's go go go.

:siren:FANTASY SUMO TIME:siren:

code:
                    Makuuchi

Terunofuji	Y	 
	Kirishima	O	Hoshoryu	
	Takakeisho	O	Kotonowaka	
	Daieisho	S	Wakamotoharu	
	Abi		K	Nishikigi	
	Ura		M1	Asanoyama	
	Atamifuji	M2	Meisei	
	Oho		M3	Takanosho	
	Tobizaru	M4	Hiradoumi	
	Midorifuji	M5	Onosato	
	Tsurugisho	M6	Gonoyama	
	Kinbozan	M7	Tamawashi	
	Onosho		M8	Takayasu	
	Hokutofuji	M9	Kotoshoho	
	Shodai		M10	Mitakeumi	
	Ichiyamamoto	M11	Sadanoumi	
	Shonannoumi	M12	Shimazuumi	
	Ryuden		M13	Churanoumi	
	Nishikifuji	M14	Kitanowaka	
	Myogiryu	M15	Roga	
	Endo		M16	Daiamami	
	Takerufuji	M17

Juryo

Tokihayate	J1	Takarafuji	
	Tohakuryu	J2	Mitoryu	
	Hokuseiho	J3	Tomokaze	
	Kagayaki	J4	Oshoma	
	Bushozan	J5	Shirokuma	
	Hakuyozan	J6	Chiyoshoma	
	Hidenoumi	J7	Daishoho	
	Asakoryu	J8	Shishi	
	Shimanoumi	J9	Tamashoho	
	Shiden		J10	Wakatakakage	
	Oshoumi		J11	Aoiyama	
	Kotoeko		J12	Tsushimanada	
	Akua		J13	Hakuoho	
	Kitaharima	J14	Chiyosakae	
Can Kotonowaka perform as a shin-ozeki? Will Asanoyama's body allow him to return to san'yaku? Which of the hot prospects will rise to the occasion and who will fall short? Is Roga cool at all? Why not use Fantasy Sumo to find out!

Please enter your draft in the following format:

Y/O:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

S/K:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M1-5:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M6-10:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M11+:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

Juryo:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

If you've never played Fantasy before, check out the rules. In brief: just choose 3 guys at each rank, and you'll be drafted a team of dudes. That's all you really need to do, although you can trade during the first week if you want (most people don't). It's really fun and helps you get more familiar with lower-ranked guys.

Juryo will operate according to the rules we arrived at last basho – strictly as a bonus, with +.5 points for a KK and +.5 points for the juryo yusho. Expect a goonzuke post in the next couple days before the basho starts. Hakkeyoi!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 10, 2024

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Y/O

Teru
Kotonowaka
Kirishima

S/K

Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Nishikigi

1-5:

Onosato
Asanoyama
Atamifuji

6-10:

Gonoyama
Takayasu
Hokutofuji

11-15:

Sadanoumi
Shonannoumi
Nishikifuji

Juryo:

Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Oshoma

I had this ready to go as soon as the banzuke came out.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 7, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Onosato
Asanoyama
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Kinbozan
Kotoshoho

M11+:
Kitanowaka
Nishikifuji
Roga

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Asakoryu
AOIYAMA

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Takayasu remains permanently drafted in my heart

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
First time playing. Let's go!

Y/O
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka
Terunofuji

S/K
Nishikigi
Daiesho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5
Ura
Tobizaru
Oho

M6-10
Tamawashi
Gonoyama
SHODAI

M11+
Daiamami
Endo
Ichiyamamoto

Juryo
Shishi
Shiden
Shimanoumi

Edit- vvvv Ooh, gimme pink if possible like my boy Ura, please. Thank you! vvvv

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 7, 2024

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Give me a your desired mawashi colour as well if you want a specific one on my tracker. If you are sanyaku, you can also pick your background colour as befitting your lofty rank!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji
Kotonowaka

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Nishikigi
Daieisho

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Onosato
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Takayasu
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Takerufuji
Ichiyamamoto
Shonanoumi

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Shirokuma

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Stepping back onto the goonhyo after my absence

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Nishikigi

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Midorifuji
Onosato

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Kotoshoho
Tamawashi

M11+:
Takerufuji
Endo
Kitanowaka

Juryo:
Kotoeko
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Y/O:
Kotonowaka
Kirishima
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Nishikigi
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Ura
Atamifuji
Asanoyama

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Shodai
Gonoyama

M11+:
Roga
Daiamami
Churanoumi

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Asakoryu

my mawashi color... is blue!! like i think it has been in the previous bashos :)