Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

I said come in! posted:

Fair point, but Hogwarts Legacy seems like a game that a lot of people really wanted, and were even excited about. But were drawn away from by the author. Suicide Squad is a game that no one asked for.

Hogwarts Legacy apparently has the rare distinction of managing to dethrone a COD game in terms of sales in its year of release, people's feelings on Rowling was not having a major impact on their purchasing decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Seriously, Fantastic Beasts is a great comparison to Suicide Squad. Let's make a new Harry Potter movie (okay) set 100 years before the main characters are even born (fine?) and make it entirely about incoherent Wizard lore with very thin characters who were basically appendix filler in the books (why).

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

Seriously, Fantastic Beasts is a great comparison to Suicide Squad. Let's make a new Harry Potter movie (okay) set 100 years before the main characters are even born (fine?) and make it entirely about incoherent Wizard lore with very thin characters who were basically appendix filler in the books (why).
It probably still would have printed money if it was just zany adventures with magical animals instead of whatever the gently caress rowling wanted to write.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fantastic Beasts would make a better video game that was basically Pokémon but Harry Potter. In fact Hogwarts Legacy kinda explores that very idea, and I wonder if they will build on it in the sequel.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

if the store page for hogwarts legacy had a giant disclaimer that said 1 dog would be executed for every copy sold, it would not have made a significant impact on that game's sales.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
People forget how much GTA Online's success and transition to live service was kind of an accident. Rockstar had already had multiple failed attempts at creating multiplayer components of their games. While there was a huge pent up demand for GTA but multiplayer, the original GTA online experience was extremely vestigial and under developed. They've been paying the technical debt on those decisions for years now. It made tonnes of money but it's easy to see how it could have made even more money with a better foundation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

hogwarts legacy sold because unlike fantastic beasts, people are attached to hogwarts and wanted to walk around hogwarts, thats it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yeah, the best move would be to release Hogwarts Legacy 2 and then have an online component to that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fez_machine posted:

People forget how much GTA Online's success and transition to live service was kind of an accident. Rockstar had already had multiple failed attempts at creating multiplayer components of their games. While there was a huge pent up demand for GTA but multiplayer, the original GTA online experience was extremely vestigial and under developed. They've been paying the technical debt on those decisions for years now. It made tonnes of money but it's easy to see how it could have made even more money with a better foundation.

I really want GTA6 Online to be good, but you’re right, and between that and how they treated Red Dead Online 2, I have a bad feeling about GTA6’s online mode.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't want GTA6 Online to even exist

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't want GTA6 Online to even exist

Fair, I would rather it not, but we all know deep down that will be Rockstars main focus.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah :(

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I said come in! posted:

Fair point, but Hogwarts Legacy seems like a game that a lot of people really wanted, and were even excited about. But were drawn away from by the author. Suicide Squad is a game that no one asked for.

I agree with the poster above, the castle (and intro!) was great, the gameplay seemed fairly dull for the little i played before uninstalling.

Given the sales figures, I doubt anti rowling sentiments were even a rounding error.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I agree with the poster above, the castle (and intro!) was great, the gameplay seemed fairly dull for the little i played before uninstalling.

Given the sales figures, I doubt anti rowling sentiments were even a rounding error.

Fair point! I am betting you’re absolutely correct now that I think about it. But yeah the castle stuff was awesome. I think a life sim would have been better than what we got. Or at least would have been my preference.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I said come in! posted:

Fair, I would rather it not, but we all know deep down that will be Rockstars main focus.

Game probably would have been out by last Christmas if it were not, lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I know GTA5 is a game a generation of gamers grew up with and they'll flock to GTA6 as the gaming event of their young lives, like I did with Half life 2, but gently caress I'm completely over the GTA style open world. GTA4 felt like a real innovation with it's new engine - I can remember seeing a trailer where a car moves down an uneven Liberty City street and it shifted and leaned on the suspension in a way that was never possible in the older games. But GTA5? It just felt like 4 but bigger; aside from hot swapping to another character doing some related task during a mission I can't think of anything about it that was any different from 4, and the thought of playing another AAA behemoth that's a hundred more hours of basically more GTA4 just makes me really tired. More than any other Big AAA game I've played in the last decade+, I'm hard pressed to actually remember what the hell I did throughout that long rear end campaign.

But it's not for me and people half my age will make the it the biggest gaming event in history, and that's fine I guess. All I have to do is go double check what the most played games are on Steam to remind myself that my own tastes are pretty fuckin' inconsequential to whether or not a game is a hit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
GTA Online will for me always be the Vice City mod that allowed multiplayer, kind of, in an extremely broken but technically really impressive way.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

I mean yes and no. You need to cross a minimum threshold of quality that is much harder to achieve with a live service game because they are in direct competition with the existing GaaS juggernauts where single player narrative games aren't really in competition with one another on a daily basis.

For instance, there was a Harry Potter Pokemon Go knock-off that fell flat on its face. Suicide Squad would have very obviously been more successful had it been conceived as a single player experience and executed in a reasonable time frame on a reasonable budget.
Is it a knock-off if you got Niantic the Pokemon Go devs to make it for you?

wizard2 posted:

you busted ghosts, I think?
That was the Ghostbusters one and for what little I played of it, it was some silly fun spinning around waving your phone at ghosts to catch them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

credburn posted:

GTA Online will for me always be the Vice City mod that allowed multiplayer, kind of, in an extremely broken but technically really impressive way.

San Andreas Multiplayer worked remarkably well and while I only spent a while on it over the years it was definitely a very cool, very basic idea of "Yeah, actually it would be cool to just hang out in GTA with friends."

And then uh, eight years of GTAO happened and now if you exist in GTAO as a new player you will spend the entire time being annihilated by warp speed jet bikes so, you know, cool payoff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/67E3RsDp0Pg?si=-2LdEUEPs9bVn6wc

Kingmakers is going to fuckin own

Orv
May 4, 2011

Honestly I wish they were just using this cool tech for a straight Mount and Blade rip-off and skipping the - doubtlessly word-of-mouth-generating - modern stuff.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Orv posted:

Honestly I wish they were just using this cool tech for a straight Mount and Blade rip-off and skipping the - doubtlessly word-of-mouth-generating - modern stuff.

Bannerlord-but-you-have-a-shotgun sounds so loving dope, though

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2215430/Ghost_of_Tsushima_DIRECTORS_CUT/

:discourse:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Wtf Duck Game is going to get delisted along with all the other Adult Swim games????
I love playing that game with friends so much, we play it at least every other week and we get more and more friends into it and now it's going to become unpurchasable???

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

:hmmyes:

that was cool but iirc bg&e had no other radial menus and just an ordinary hud with too large safe areas

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Yeah saw this earlier, stoked

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orv posted:

I've seen sentiments that almost imply that the devs are doing this because it'll generate chatter and memes and not because the people making the game aren't gigantic nerds who think it's dope. "Modern weapons vs. medieval knights" is an incredibly common power fantasy among gun nerds and milsci fans to the point where it's almost stereotype. It's legitimately weirder that it isn't as well represented in games as it is in trashy novels, both western portal fantasy and Japanese isekai.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Make this assault rifles vs. knights game but without the assault rifles, get that Bannerlord demographic it's a surefire win, nobody wants that weird poo poo."

It's like the Warframe devs wanting to make a space ninjas game, but the publisher tells them that kind of high concept stuff won't sell, make that game but without the space or the ninjas, so they made Dark Sector. When the entire time they just wanted to make Warframe.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Runa posted:

It's like the Warframe devs wanting to make a space ninjas game, but the publisher tells them that kind of high concept stuff won't sell, make that game but without the space or the ninjas, so they made Dark Sector. When the entire time they just wanted to make Warframe.

still sometimes wishing they made the space ninja version of Dark Sector tho

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

haldolium posted:

please look forward to Warframe: 1999™

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

haldolium posted:

I think that's what Warframe 1999 will be.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Really happy about this. Also Sony stop being cowards and release Demon's Souls Remake, Bloodborne, and Shadow of the Colossus Remake for PC thanks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I wish they were making Red Dead Redemption 3 instead :smith:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

The 7th Guest posted:

UNSIGHTED dev's next game

https://twitter.com/TianiPixel/status/1765448337375756343

e: also The Sinking City is getting a sequel now that Frogwares has the rights back

unsighted was sooooo good so the dev team making a 3d zelda that looks like mega man legends is fantastic

it looks like it's related to unsighted too? there's familiar stuff in there beyond just the art style

here's early gameplay footage which looks wonderful

https://twitter.com/TianiPixel/status/1727138459381621077

https://twitter.com/TianiPixel/status/1730671145077117045

https://twitter.com/TianiPixel/status/1722445877099352460

lih fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 7, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

I wish they were making Red Dead Redemption 3 instead :smith:

Bully 2 or gtfo

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Runa posted:

please look forward to Warframe: 1999™

Jack Trades posted:

I think that's what Warframe 1999 will be.

that was an emotional rollercoaster as I've not heard of it before, however I think it's very different from what I had in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7-tpPXV9WQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzsLrcTNfO8

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Are there any good games about restoring wilderness that have come out in the last few years? More on the god/sim game side than say Wildmender or Terra Nil which I've already played.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Sometimes Food posted:

Are there any good games about restoring wilderness that have come out in the last few years? More on the god/sim game side than say Wildmender or Terra Nil which I've already played.

Cloud Gardens, sort of

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

But it's not for me and people half my age will make the it the biggest gaming event in history, and that's fine I guess. All I have to do is go double check what the most played games are on Steam to remind myself that my own tastes are pretty fuckin' inconsequential to whether or not a game is a hit.

I feel you. I've always felt Saints Row > GTA, and apparently the latest SR was a disaster (following the trend we discussed earlier), so I guess I'm just over that type of game. I don't care about GTA6 in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I feel you. I've always felt Saints Row > GTA, and apparently the latest SR was a disaster (following the trend we discussed earlier), so I guess I'm just over that type of game. I don't care about GTA6 in the slightest.

fuckin' same