Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I mean, I never looked into it that deeply, I just thought it was a fun coincidence from my life as a life long Ghostbusters fan that I ended up living in specifically the very same area Vigo is meant to be from, without realising till many years later.

I can't imagine Moldova or Moldavia was a very well known or thought about place back in the late 80's and early 90's as I imagine it would have just been known collectively as the USSR to us.

But then, I suppose that's also the point and why it was chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vigo: "The sorrow of Moldavia...."
Janosz: "Moldavia, or Moldova?"
Vigo, visibly perturbed: "Ok, look...."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Ghost" "Busters"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

If he was the Sorrow of Moldavia doesn't that imply he invaded/persecuted them and not necessarily came from the region?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Putin's Russian and I'd say he's doing a pretty good job of making Russians miserable right now... You don't always need to be an invader.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

If he was the Sorrow of Moldavia doesn't that imply he invaded/persecuted them and not necessarily came from the region?

"The scourge of Carpathia, the sorrow of Moldavia" is how Vigo labels himself. I've always interpreted it that Vigo was a tyrant ruler in the Balkans, which is how he got all those nicknames like Vigo the Cruel, Vigo the Torturer, Vigo the Despised and Vigo the Unholy. And, of course, potentially Vigo the Butch.

I mean, considering that Carpathia is a fictional country, I could see it going either way, given that Aykroyd was never terribly detail-oriented in his writing. (For example, the Bible verse he quotes to Winston in the car in the first movie--about the end of the world--is actually Revelation 6:12, not Revelation 7:12; he was a whole chapter off, and he called it "Revelations," not "Revelation." They did fix this in Afterlife, though.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 4, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Timby posted:

"The scourge of Carpathia, the sorrow of Moldavia" is how Vigo labels himself. I've always interpreted it that Vigo was a tyrant ruler in the Balkans, which is how he got all those nicknames like Vigo the Cruel, Vigo the Torturer, Vigo the Despised and Vigo the Unholy. And, of course, potentially Vigo the Butch.

I mean, considering that Carpathia is a fictional country, I could see it going either way, given that Aykroyd was never terribly detail-oriented in his writing.

Well, he's close. I mean, the carpathian mountains exist, and things from around there are considered carpathian, and yet no actual, legit country is named Carpathian. Weird.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well maybe to Vigo it's like saying "I'm the scourge of the Tri-state area", it doesn't have to be the name of a country

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Vigo of Appalachia

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

evobatman posted:

Vigo of Appalachia

“So be it, on this day of darkness, she will be ours. Wife to me, and sister to me.”

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Y'all heard of slime that responds to moods? poo poo's weird"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Everything you're doing is bad; I want you to know this.

No one listens to me.

Edit: "Gimme a break, we're both lawyers" is a fantastic line in context.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 4, 2024

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
That AMC Slimer Popcorn bucket is rough compared to the promo images.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bacon Terrorist posted:

That AMC Slimer Popcorn bucket is rough compared to the promo images.

AMC have already pulled the product listing from their website :v:
https://www.amctheatresmoviemerchandise.com/prod-20-1-836-115/ghostbusters-slimer-85oz-popcorn-container.htm

The promo photos:

The actual product:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Now I have the fear for the upcoming Ghost Trap popcorn bucket! :ohdear:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

https://www.amctheatresmoviemerchandise.com/prod-20-1-836-115/ghostbusters-slimer-85oz-popcorn-container.htm

The promo photos:

The actual product:

Looks like they went with the Real Ghostbusters slimer so that it would be easier to get popcorn out of the popcorn bucket.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The promo photos:

The actual product:

2 popcorn buckets you can gently caress in 1 year? We bein' spoiled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I always assumed Vigo was supposed to basically be a Vlad the Impaler analogue, because Dracula's castle was in the Carpathian mountains. So the reference to Carpathia along with the general description of who Vigo was seemed to be indicating Vlad/Dracula.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Basebf555 posted:

I always assumed Vigo was supposed to basically be a Vlad the Impaler analogue, because Dracula's castle was in the Carpathian mountains. So the reference to Carpathia along with the general description of who Vigo was seemed to be indicating Vlad/Dracula.

And he didn’t die until he was decapitated… 🤔

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The final version is basically Vlad but originally he was more Rasputin-ish and lived in the present day in New York under an assumed name. The baby was his girlfriend's, not Dana's. And it was he who animated the Statue of Liberty to chase after them. As he became more like the Vigo of the final movie, there used to be lines in drafts where each of the Ghostbusters referenced different sadistic tyrants throughout history, with Venkman mentioning Steinbrenner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

The final version is basically Vlad but originally he was more Rasputin-ish and lived in the present day in New York under an assumed name. The baby was his girlfriend's, not Dana's. And it was he who animated the Statue of Liberty to chase after them. As he became more like the Vigo of the final movie, there used to be lines in drafts where each of the Ghostbusters referenced different sadistic tyrants throughout history, with Venkman mentioning Steinbrenner.

To be honest that all sounds better than what we got.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest that all sounds better than what we got.

The question is whether or not that version of Vigo would've included a minion like Yanosh. Because if it meant not having MacNicol's performance in the movie that would not be a worthwhile trade.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

The question is whether or not that version of Vigo would've included a minion like Yanosh. Because if it meant not having MacNicol's performance in the movie that would not be a worthwhile trade.

It's pretty much one or the other, yeah. As Vigo went from an active, present, character to a mostly stationary painting the minion character appeared, though it wasn't Janosz at first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

Look, I've heard a bunch of stuff about the original GB2, but not much of this. Whoa.

Is this the script that had "Jason" in it, which is likely now Janosz?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Look, I've heard a bunch of stuff about the original GB2, but not much of this. Whoa.

Is this the script that had "Jason" in it, which is likely now Janosz?

Janosz exists because they split the villain into two. Before Janosz appears in scripts, it was all Jason Locke who was actually "Jalmar Litvinov" who was also Vigo the Carpathian, who basically did everything in the movie himself. He could command the baby to try and come to him (a similar scene to the Janosz Ghost Nanny one but without Janosz Ghost Nanny), he was in the courtroom when the Scoleri brothers appeared, and he attacks Venkman at one point with a big showy telekinetic blast.

He was this Tsarist-era Russian Eastern Orthodox wizard whacko who was so old because he made himself part of a magical painting that he could go into and out of. But he didn't look his age. The whole thing with the baby is that in the present day it was his baby that he had with a woman who would eventually be rewritten to be Dana, and he was a creepy ex-boyfriend.

The reason Lady Liberty was originally involved is because there's stuff about how Locke first immigrated to New York, so she wasn't a beacon of good vibes for the city but a symbol of immigration. A lot of the "New York City is a cesspool of anger and hate" is in there but it manifests as bugs and earthquakes, there's no slime at all, and none of it really ends up amounting to much other than as clues for the Ghostbusters to follow. The real ending of the movie really ties things together much better because in this early draft all they do is supercharge their proton packs to attack the Statue of Liberty in basically the same scene as them roasting Mr. Stay Puft, but successful this time.

One of the big, potentially funny things in hindsight is that in the actual movie the Mayor jokes that he's not about to tell New Yorkers to be nice to each other which is kind of a meta-reference to this old script because in this draft the Ghostbusters use Venkman's TV show to do exactly that, so you have these scenes of New Yorkers about to fly off the handle at each other but threatened by sudden tremors they get scared and act super fake nice to one another.

Edit: didn't realize how much of a wall of text this appears as when on mobile so I split it up a bit

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 6, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

Janosz exists because they split the villain into two. Before Janosz appears in scripts, it was all Jason Locke who was actually "Jalmar Litvinov" who was also Vigo the Carpathian, who basically did everything in the movie himself. He could command the baby to try and come to him (a similar scene to the Janosz Ghost Nanny one but without Janosz Ghost Nanny), he was in the courtroom when the Scoleri brothers appeared, and he attacks Venkman at one point with a big showy telekinetic blast. He was this Tsarist-era Russian Eastern Orthodox wizard whacko who was so old because he made himself part of a magical painting that he could go into and out of. But he didn't look his age. The whole thing with the baby is that in the present day it was his baby that he had with a woman who would eventually be rewritten to be Dana, and he was a creepy ex-boyfriend. The reason Lady Liberty was originally involved is because there's stuff about how Locke first immigrated to New York, so she wasn't a beacon of good vibes for the city but a symbol of immigration. A lot of the "New York City is a cesspool of anger and hate" is in there but it manifests as bugs and earthquakes, there's no slime at all, and none of it really ends up amounting to much other than as clues for the Ghostbusters to follow. The real ending of the movie really ties things together much better because in this early draft all they do is supercharge their proton packs to attack the Statue of Liberty in basically the same scene as them roasting Mr. Stay Puft, but successful this time.

One of the big, potentially funny things in hindsight is that in the actual movie the Mayor jokes that he's not about to tell New Yorkers to be nice to each other which is kind of a meta-reference to this old script because in this draft the Ghostbusters use Venkman's TV show to do exactly that, so you have these scenes of New Yorkers about to fly off the handle at each other but threatened by sudden tremors they get scared and act super fake nice to one another.

This is incredible and I need to know more. Is the full script out there?

Also, is this the version that Bill Murray signed on for?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is incredible and I need to know more. Is the full script out there?

Also, is this the version that Bill Murray signed on for?

I could look up the timing but I think so, given how close to production it is.

https://www.spookcentral.tk/sclib/ghostbusters-ii-scripts
It's the August 1988 one there, listed first.

Edit: not sure if this is truly warranted but Trigger Warning for the part of the script with Venkman's TV show at the beginning because there's this really unfortunate line where he's kind of a rape/SA apologist? The typical what-were-you-wearing line. I know Venkman's a prick but I'm not sure if Ramis and Aykroyd know where the line is before he becomes an actual skeev.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 6, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if they got as far as discussing casting options, because obviously von Homburg wouldn't have been up to that sort of expanded role. Hell, maybe they would've just gone with von Sydow for the whole thing in that case.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if they got as far as discussing casting options, because obviously von Homburg wouldn't have been up to that sort of expanded role. Hell, maybe they would've just gone with von Sydow for the whole thing in that case.

Yes, the casting possibilities are the most interesting part because he would not have looked at all like our eventual Vigo. He would have been some handsome, dark featured guy who could conceivably be old school Russian.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Lobok posted:

I could look up the timing but I think so, given how close to production it is.

https://www.spookcentral.tk/sclib/ghostbusters-ii-scripts
It's the August 1988 one there, listed first.

Edit: not sure if this is truly warranted but Trigger Warning for the part of the script with Venkman's TV show at the beginning because there's this really unfortunate line where he's kind of a rape/SA apologist? The typical what-were-you-wearing line. I know Venkman's a prick but I'm not sure if Ramis and Aykroyd know where the line is before he becomes an actual skeev.

Thank you for this!

Edit: reading through this, I can't help but picture an alternate reality where this movie got made, and the one that actually exists is just a draft that was unearthed. "Did you know that, originally, Dana was in the movie? Would've been nice to have Sigourney Weaver back. Anyway, there's a lot of slime that like reacts to people's moods, the bad guy was in a painting until the very end, Slimer lives at the HQ, drives a bus, and Louis uses a proton pack. Weird..."

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 6, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah the whole thing with Vigo being in the painting until the end means that in both movies we have the big bad only showing up because The Ritual Has Been Completed just before they get defeated (which IIRC they did again in Afterlife?). Would have been interesting to have the main bad guy actually around and interacting with everyone throughout the course of the film.

Also that script answers the question of why Egon suddenly has a new toy in the movie because the draft script has him going into more of the theoretical physics of supernatural energy and how to measure it. He wasn't working on moods, he was working as an actual physics prof and did ghostly physics studying on the side, secretly. Even as a kid I wondered why they added a second device other than the PKE meter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyctume8rs

looks like they found a fuckin way to shove in Vigo's slime into this movie...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

lol as shameless as Afterlife was this still surprises me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s a whole lab dedicated to ghosts, having some of Vigo’s slime there isn’t exactly unexpected.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re gonna use it on someone for a bit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And that’s ok!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why am I getting my hopes up?

Afterlife was the definition of fine except for all the cringe-inducing "remember this?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I keep seeing promos for Frozen Empire, saying that "every ghost they've ever caught is free now!" which would imply the potential for Gozer to show up AGAIN sometime.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Scoleri Brothers spin-off movie when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

The film features this spoiler heavily. They use the slim blowers to reverse the effects of the main villain. The main villain kills via fear itself, which visually presents itself as being frozen to death, but Egon sacrifices his afterlife to infuse his love for his family into the emotion slime and that love counteracts the fear so they spray everyone down with it and they unfreeze.