Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
The laptop I have for work is Windows 11 and the fact I can only look at my taskbar calendar on the primary monitor is indescribably rage inducing.

TrashMammal posted:

operating systems that don’t pester you with boomer news are in fact less suck. sorry if that offends you for some reason

I mean, if you can't figure out how to turn that off, you definitely aren't going to be able to use linux. Its annoying that its there in the first place but its also like 3 mouse clicks to get rid of. If you see MS boomer news on a co-worker's computer screen, you can bet they also have motion smoothing turned on on their tv at home

Linux is never going to be a viable alternative because it needs to Just Work and open source development self-selects for people who despise intuitive functionality and usability because they're all this guy:

LividLiquid posted:

If it doesn't sound fun, don't bother.

Personally, when I run out of projects to tinker with, I get quite sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i guess opening your mouth nice and wide and begging for more poo poo to be shoveled in it is an option too

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Linux is never going to be a viable alternative because it needs to Just Work and open source development self-selects for people who despise intuitive functionality and usability because they're all this guy:
Not a guy, and you have way too a high an opinion of me. I've not coded since QBasic and HTML1.

I just like tinkering.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Duck and Cover posted:

It's always fun how people will lie to themselves because they want something to be better than it is in reality. While Windows absolutely sucks, so does Mac OS. Linux? Lol stop trolling.

The thing about Linux is, once you fix something (which does indeed take an afternoon), it stays fixed.

It's a preference thing. Do you prefer large amounts of friction at the setup stage then smooth sailing, or small amounts of friction at unpredictable intervals?

For a long time I chose the latter with windows, but over the years they've been deliberately increasing the friction, while linux has slightly lowered it.
But mainly it's a life setup thing. These days I have a stressful job and a family to take care of, and I need to know that my system will do what it always did unless I changed something. Windows absolutely positively cannot promise that anymore. Compulsory updates that bring UI changes and a bunch of new issues that have to be found and fixed.

With Linux I can make big changes when I have time to deal with all the annoying bullshit, get things sorted, and know that it'll work when I need it for those established functions.

Edit: I mean try explaining to a 2-year-old that they can't have their evening routine of watching videos of cars right now because you're installing update 3 of 14 please do not turn off your computer, and by the time it's done it'll be bedtime.
I dare you.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 7, 2024

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Vestigal accessibility. Someone has mentioned it at various times in this thread, but it's getting worse. In the last month I've had successfully opened less than half of packaged products. Some problems include: zip lock strips that "don't zip or lock" or become separated from the package very easily; perforation lines printed on the package with no actual perforation; perforation lines that don't open properly; tear easy notches that are missing, don't lead to a clean tear, or don't 'tear easy'...

Packaging in general has gotten worse, but anything to do with accessibility is GONE.

Don't get me started on OS user interfaces. Application development abandoned any consideration for accessibility.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 7, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MS is putting cute icons in the search bar and I want to fire bomb their headquarters

(Hyperbole )

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

LividLiquid posted:

Not a guy, and you have way too a high an opinion of me. I've not coded since QBasic and HTML1.

I just like tinkering.

Apologies on the guy thing. And I was more referring to the attitude, not capability. Linux is going to attract tinkerers, which is fine, but its not an alternative for the much larger group of people who just want it to work.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

anonumos posted:

Vestigal accessibility. Someone has mentioned it at various times in this thread, but it's getting worse. In the last month I've had successfully opened less than half of packaged products. Some problems include: zip lock strips that "don't zip or lock" or become separated from the package very easily; perforation lines printed on the package with no actual perforation; perforation lines that don't open properly; tear easy notches that are missing, don't lead to a clean tear, or don't 'tear easy'...

Packaging in general has gotten worse, but anything to do with accessibility is GONE.

Don't get me started on OS user interfaces. Application development abandoned any consideration for accessibility.

i'm particularly fond of cardboard packaging with "press here to open", and doing so just causes the package to crumple in a way that does not help open it at all.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The nice thing about when something doesn't work is that you can fix it.

That used to be why I preferred Windows to Mac, but like, you just can't do that poo poo anymore. It's their OS and you'll use it their loving way or you can gently caress off.

Oh, and they'll push updates that brick your system and there is absolutely nothing you can do to disable Windows Update anymore. Switch it off in the GUI? Jack poo poo. Services.msc? Nothing. The loving registry? Sorry.

Unplug form the loving internet if you don't like it, chump. What are you gonna' do? Use another OS? :smug:

But even given all that, fighting about it is pointless. It's all down to preference, and anyway, OSes are like cell providers, banks, and cops. None of them are good.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

The laptop I have for work is Windows 11 and the fact I can only look at my taskbar calendar on the primary monitor is indescribably rage inducing.

this and the overflow area not being available on other monitors are my 2 big gripes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

What are you talking about? I use multiple monitors, surely you can...

WHAT THE gently caress

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
perfectly fine taskbar that's worked well for decades, and they threw it out for that :allears:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LividLiquid posted:

The nice thing about when something doesn't work is that you can fix it.

That used to be why I preferred Windows to Mac, but like, you just can't do that poo poo anymore. It's their OS and you'll use it their loving way or you can gently caress off.

Like what, though? There's very little even in Win11 that you can't tweak or alter in some way.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

perfectly fine taskbar that's worked well for decades, and they threw it out for that :allears:

Sorry, had to innovate.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Like what, though? There's very little even in Win11 that you can't tweak or alter in some way.
I already wrote a thing. It's in the post you quoted. You cut it out to make me look unreasonable. Look up.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'll stick with Windows 10 as long as I possibly can. macOS actively works against you being productive and multitasking, and I'm over all the fiddling required for Linux. I get a little taste of Windows 11 if I ever open up Microsoft Edge and I can't stand it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

wizard2 posted:

running unmodded Fallout New Vegas on Steam Deck for the first time was shocking lol

In a good way or a bad way?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
My Windows 7 machine with Office 2016 is still running flawlessly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Apologies on the guy thing. And I was more referring to the attitude, not capability. Linux is going to attract tinkerers, which is fine, but its not an alternative for the much larger group of people who just want it to work.
Okay, but like, I said that? Like, I'm the one who said that. I warned somebody against using the OS I do. We're not at war here.

No worries on the first thing.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Apparently ground cinnamon

https://www.local10.com/business/2024/03/06/ground-cinnamon-sold-at-discount-stores-is-tainted-with-lead-fda-warns/

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

credburn posted:

What are you talking about? I use multiple monitors, surely you can...

WHAT THE gently caress

RIGHT??

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cerekk posted:

My Windows 7 machine with Office 2016 is still running flawlessly.

windows 7 was the last good one

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

people saying "windows [x]" was the last good one is like people saying "the last good BMW was the E[XX]" and it's tiresome i know. but it's true, windows 7 was the last good one and the last good BMW was the E46

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wizard2 posted:

Fallout New Vegas DOES run better on Proton than Windows, but I have no reasonable way of proving it :saddumb:

I do like the idea that a mediocre Bethesda game should be the benchmark for OSes.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

people saying "windows [x]" was the last good one is like people saying "the last good BMW was the E[XX]" and it's tiresome i know. but it's true, windows 7 was the last good one and the last good BMW was the E46
I have a virtual windows 7 machine so I can run adobe CS3 and office 2013 and will probably just copy it from computer to computer until I die

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, but like, I said that? Like, I'm the one who said that. I warned somebody against using the OS I do. We're not at war here.

No worries on the first thing.

You did say that. Didn't mean to imply you didn't but I obviously wasn't being very clear with my meaning. I was more complaining about the lack of alternatives to poo poo like windows while responding to the person advocating switching to linux because MS has a news feed you can turn off

Also I try pretty hard to avoid gendered language online and I hosed up there. Old habits are hard to break sometimes.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Idk what this says about me but ive had literally no problems with windows 11 it seems completely fine

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I'm on windows 10 or 11
I never think about the OS, I just do work and stuff on the computer

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Hey, if you're not having problems, that's a good thing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't think I've used Windows 11. My computer is too old to upgrade from 10 and my work laptop is on 10 Enterprise

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Time_pants posted:

Hey, if you're not having problems, that's a good thing.

I use Autodesk products so I have enough problems without noticing anything about windows

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

I do like the idea that a mediocre Bethesda game should be the benchmark for OSes.

You mean Obsidian's masterpiece. :colbert:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
MS can pry my W10 LTSC setup from my cold, dead hands.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You did say that. Didn't mean to imply you didn't but I obviously wasn't being very clear with my meaning. I was more complaining about the lack of alternatives to poo poo like windows while responding to the person advocating switching to linux because MS has a news feed you can turn off

Also I try pretty hard to avoid gendered language online and I hosed up there. Old habits are hard to break sometimes.
Oh, right on. Thank you for clarifying. Sorry. And don't sweat the gender thing. I'll always correct people, but I never get mad about it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I don't think I've used Windows 11. My computer is too old to upgrade from 10 and my work laptop is on 10 Enterprise
I built my video editing PC one year ago using pretty near-enough-to-top-of-the-line poo poo and Win 10 says I'm not good enough for 11, so I quite seriously don't understand who it's for.

It's like the housing market in Seattle. If my project manager buddy at Microsoft can't afford one, who the gently caress is buying all this poo poo?> :psyduck:

I realize it's probably just a bug or something.

Woolie Wool posted:

You mean Obsidian's masterpiece. :colbert:
I have over a thousand hours in that game. You're goddamn right.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

LividLiquid posted:

I built my video editing PC one year ago using pretty near-enough-to-top-of-the-line poo poo and Win 10 says I'm not good enough for 11, so I quite seriously don't understand who it's for.

The most likely culprit is TPM, whether physical or virtual, is not enabled in BIOS. That right there will stop Win10 from upgrading to 11.

If you open the run dialog and enter "tpm.msc" without quotes, the popup window will tell if you TPM is enabled or not. If not, you can then find guides for your specific mobo/bios to enable it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Duck and Cover posted:

FO:NV should be the benchmark for all pcs, as in, how long can you run an instance of it before it goes so batshit off the rails that it is completely unplayable. Like, there will be times where you'll be able to play the whole game with 1000k mods while it falls apart around you but then there are others where you can't boot it no matter what you do even if there isn't a single mod installed.

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 7, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Chat-GPT replaced it's "delete this chat" button with the "archive" button, and you have to go through a different menu to actually delete the chat :mad:

It takes TWICE AS MANY CLICKS (2 now) TO DELETE THE loving CHAT!!!!

\/\/

His Divine Shadow posted:

Windows chat.

It's bugged me for a decade that when I open up a save-as dialog or open file dialog in say Word, but really any app. I open the dialog window and start browsing to the folder I am looking for. Then after a second or so, the drat thing jumps back to the folder that was there when the window opened. This happens on all windows computers for me sine around Win 7? At work or home.

Now most recently Windows has started screwing up when I right click new folder. If I am too quick to start typing in the folder name it'll bug out and sometimes it gets stuck in a weird loop that I can't adequately explain. But it's loving annoying.

That happens to me, but it's only because I have an external non-solid-hard drive connected that takes a moment to spin up, and once it does it resets the thing. Could that be your problem...? I don't have the issue when it's just my SDD by itself.

credburn fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 7, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Windows chat.

It's bugged me for a decade that when I open up a save-as dialog or open file dialog in say Word, but really any app. I open the dialog window and start browsing to the folder I am looking for. Then after a second or so, the drat thing jumps back to the folder that was there when the window opened. This happens on all windows computers for me sine around Win 7? At work or home.

Now most recently Windows has started screwing up when I right click new folder. If I am too quick to start typing in the folder name it'll bug out and sometimes it gets stuck in a weird loop that I can't adequately explain. But it's loving annoying.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
pretty sure we had a subforum for operating system flamewar containment somewhere

credburn posted:

Chat-GPT replaced it's "delete this chat" button with the "archive" button, and you have to go through a different menu to actually delete the chat :mad:

It takes TWICE AS MANY CLICKS (2 now) TO DELETE THE loving CHAT!!!!

\/\/

That happens to me, but it's only because I have an external non-solid-hard drive connected that takes a moment to spin up, and once it does it resets the thing. Could that be your problem...? I don't have the issue when it's just my SDD by itself.

A few months back OpenAI inexplicably "broke" the "do not save my chats" feature for many people. Between that and this I'm convinced they are doing anything they can to get training data they arguably can use and they, in fact, can go gently caress themselves. I hope they end up sued to oblivion and Sam Altman in jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wait, did people not think that every single keystroke of input and bit of output wasn't being meticulously recorded and mined forever?