Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

It's looks too good for 16mm, that's so nice. I've always been interested but never enough to put down the money.

16mm can look really nice. A lot nicer than what I've got. Quite a few movies have been filmed on 16mm, like Moonrise Kingdom is a popular one.

Recoome posted:

I veeeerryyyy nearly bought a Bolex but it’s hard to justify rn given how nice the Filmo is.

For sure. I'd love to get a bolex reflex. If I don't like the beaulieue I might sell it and one of my motorcycles that I don't ride to fund a bolex. The prices are nuts though, like $1500-$2000+ after you get it serviced. I bought the beaulieue because it was reflex viewing but it feels delicate compared to my nonreflex bolex and there are only 2 places in the world who will service it so if I have an issue... tough luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I've been kicking myself for the better part of a decade when I passed on buying an Arri SR3 package for $3000. :smith:

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Long time no post. I started shooting film about a decade ago, a hobby which has since metastasized into a full-blown one-man lab.

Super8 to 8x10", way too many cameras but just the right amount of lenses.

And yet somehow no making GBS threads birds.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Welcome back

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Prepping the Speed Graphic with an ad-hoc distance scale for walkabout with some cut sheets of x-ray later this morning. The infinity stops are correct for 135mm but the scale installed on the rail is for some sort of telephoto.

The 135mm @ f22 corresponds almost exactly to the FOV of a Z6ii 40mm @ f/6.3 so I'll be toting that along as well.

I've been shooting nothing but 16mm subminiature and 35mm half-frame for the last few months so this is sure to be a disaster. :getin:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Father O'Blivion posted:

Prepping the Speed Graphic with an ad-hoc distance scale for walkabout with some cut sheets of x-ray later this morning. The infinity stops are correct for 135mm but the scale installed on the rail is for some sort of telephoto.

The 135mm @ f22 corresponds almost exactly to the FOV of a Z6ii 40mm @ f/6.3 so I'll be toting that along as well.

I've been shooting nothing but 16mm subminiature and 35mm half-frame for the last few months so this is sure to be a disaster. :getin:

135mm on 4x5 is my absolute go-to lens because of how close it s to 40mm on 35mm film, which seems to be about my internal default focal length for seeing the world.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
I was hoping to share some photos with that combo but unfortunately I got rained-out today. The 135mm is a natural choice for its FOV as well as the fact that it allows the SG to be closed while installed, unlike most of my other glass. Having a focal plane shutter allows for use of lots of wacky novelty lenses.

Normal-ish glass:

- 90mm f/8 Super Angulon in a busted shutter (~24mm equiv). Even easier to use for press-style photos than the 135.
- 135mm f/4.7 Optar, my only lens with a completely functional leaf shutter (~40mm equiv)
- 10" (250mm) f/5.6 Tele-Optar, sticky slow speeds (~70mm equiv)
- 15" (380mm) f/5.6 Tele-Optar, barrel with 12" back focus (105mm equiv)

Then the 'novelty' lenses

- 50mm f/4.5 Wollensak Anastigmat (~14mm equiv). This obviously won't cover 4x5 at anything but extremely close distances but almost covers 4x5 at 1:1 magnification.
- 21" (~530mm) f/10 Wollensak APO (~150 equiv). Not usable as is on the SG due to lack of bellows, but workable in 8x10. If I bluetac an additional negative element to the back of the lens I can reduce the effective focal length to something manageable but is rarely worth the fuss.
- ~170mm? f/2.8? front group from a Pentax SMC 300m f/4 (50mm equiv). The aperture mechanism failed so I cannibalized the front group for 4x5. Image quality is holga-like at best but fun for experimenting.

Also a 210mm f/6.8 Rodenstock Geronar but it lives in a toyo-view lens board.

Here's a closeup comparison of the 135mm @ f/32 and the SMC 300. Fuji HR-U in Rodinal.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are all of those white plates that the lenses are mounted on all shutters of some sort?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

a dingus posted:

Are all of those white plates that the lenses are mounted on all shutters of some sort?

They look like lens boards, for attaching the lenses to the camera. Large-format lenses aren't camera-specific; they're fitted to shutters (usually), which are in turn mounted to your choice of board (which are mostly standardized around camera types). The shutter is the round thing around the middle of the lens with all the settings and levers.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Just the Takumar front group is interesting. I've got a couple of process lenses I want to use with my plate camera one day. They look like fun.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Cassius Belli posted:

They look like lens boards, for attaching the lenses to the camera. Large-format lenses aren't camera-specific; they're fitted to shutters (usually), which are in turn mounted to your choice of board (which are mostly standardized around camera types). The shutter is the round thing around the middle of the lens with all the settings and levers.

Yep, this. The square things are lens boards that fit into the front of the Speed Graphic. Most large format cameras rely on the lens being mounted into a shutter but the SG also has a focal plane shutter like those found in 35mm SLRs. There are medium format camera systems without a focal plane shutter (Mamiya TLRs etc) where the shutter is built into the lens. Other cameras, the Pentax 67 for example, have a focal plane shutter but also offer lenses with a built in leaf shutter so you can have flash synchronization at speeds faster than 1/30s as well as minimize vibration.

Moar photos

16mm FPP Yeti @ ISO 6 run through an FM2n w/ 24mm AF-D. When shooting panos in 35mm I prefer using narrower film to avoid wastage. Kinda like when people use 35mm in a 120 camera.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

02 24 sugar mill F400 18-positive by Joseph Harrington, on Flickr

Local graveyard has a sign I find rather portentous.

edit: updated to reflect some tweaks that i made

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 7, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Tried a roll of Fujifilm 200 in the Canon, a bit difficult to estimate the settings with this film, but a couple of shots came out alright, concidering both the rangefinder and the light meter isn't working.

I then traded the Canon for a bundle of cash and this little cutie:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fuji 200 punches above it's weight considering it's the cheap film they sell (or at least sold) at Walmart.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

ooh man i am really thinking about getting one of the OM models. My heart is set on the 4 just because lizard brain is saying "newer=better" even though I know that's not true. The main draw is the dedicated hot shoe and shutter speeds doubling to 1/2000. The 2N looks way more affordable on ebay though... Post back when you've shot with it some please

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Porta 800 on a L35AF2. Was trying to use up the roll that I bought for taking xmas photos but this is one of the better/amusing ones on the roll which is nice.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I bought an 80-200 f/2.8.and MPB said it would be here by the 7th and FedEx still doesn't have it. I really wanted it for the weekend. First time ordering from them.

Fake edit: impressive. Just checked before posting this. FedEx now has it and thinks it will be delivered tomorrow between 11 and 3.

Really looking forward to playing with it both digital and film. My friend has a D750 that she's let me use in the past, so I can use that to get a good feel for the lens before sinking rolls of film into it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I hate FedEx so much and I wish MPB and KEH would let me choose anything else

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
Man, I had a real frustrating experience with my new camera on this photography trip I'm on. I have an Olympus OM-1n and recently picked up another as a bundle which I got primarily for new lenses. Unlike my current OM-1n, the new one has a working battery for the light meter so I used that as my primary camera the first day. I also decided to bring my "old" camera just in case.

I don't usually go out for the instagram sunset landscapes/ocean photos anymore but I'm in a beautiful location for it and the sunset my first day happened to be gorgeous. I was having a great time, switching lenses back and forth, yadda yadda.

I guess I got too excited though cause at the end of the roll I tried advancing the film and I could feel the film snap inside. Then I guess I panicked a little - I wanted to keep shooting - so I stuck my camera in my bag, tried unloading by feel, basically tore out the film with my grimy hands and stuffed it inside a film cannister. This took me so long that I ended up going home after anyway because it was dark and I forgot my cable release at the Airbnb. In hindsight I should've just called it a day and left the film in the camera for the lab to maybe help me. I had an extra camera, after all. I'm hoping the torn film is salvageable but tbh the photos are probably trash anyway.

The second day I stuck some Ektachrome in the camera, and around my 10th shot I was trying to do a multiple exposure and the film advance lever and shutter got stuck. Fortunately I could still rewind my film and take it out but still super frustrating to feel like I lost over half of a very expensive roll and the new camera's shutter/advance lever is jammed/hosed in some way so I'll have to get that fixed. I suppose I could have tried re-winding the film and leaving a little bit of the negative out, then try reloading in another camera.

So the new camera's a bit of a dud. It has made me appreciate my old camera, which I got from an old man who was selling it on behalf of his recently deceased brother-in-law who was an avid photographer. The camera was well-loved and in great shape which I didn't realize until I had a comparison. Since those first two days I've put maybe 6 rolls through this camera with nary a problem.

Anyway I've learned I should always bring a backup of the gear I need. I'm going to bring an extra camera, extra cable release (almost lost mine the 2nd day) and extra lens caps because I lose mine often for some reason. I'm super thankful I decided to bring another camera at the last minute. I'm also thinking it would be nice to have 2 working cameras of the same model so that I could have 2 rolls to use interchangeably. I shot some 500t in at noon in full sunlight and it would've been nice to have the option to shoot something else at the time.

I've gotten to know my camera a lot better now. For example I can recognize now when I'm advancing the film when the advance lever is a bit stuck/resistant vs. when it's already been advanced or at the end of the roll, which sounds like a small thing but there is a lot of tension when I crank the film and now I can feel the difference for when it won't go anymore vs. when it's just a little grindy (also, some film seems more difficult to advance?). I also feel like I've gotten better at manual focusing and understanding/using hyperfocal distances although I suppose I'll only find that out when I get this film developed. Finally I think I have a better understanding of how my camera actually works which helps diagnose my problems, whereas before I've shot rolls and I have no idea what the gently caress I did.

Despite the super frustrating day/experience, shooting with this camera is incredibly fun. The tactile experience of cranking film, hearing the clicks of the camera when you turn the dials and the more mechanical click of the shutter is pretty cool. Shooting with a cable release also just feels super cool lol.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it makes you feel any better, I've ruined countless rolls of film for dumb reasons:

I took an untested camera on a week long road trip through Sequoia and Burning Man, only to find out the camera was totally out of focus and that Id wasted multiple rolls of film.

I didn't realize the light meter was out of calibration on my Pentax and shot probably 15-20 rolls of film. I thought getting 3-4 properly exposed photos each roll was just how film was. More than a few of those rolls were expensive slide film, too.

Now that I think about it, I've bought at least 5 cameras from eBay and only one or 2 of them haven't had some sort of issue. Old cameras really need service before they can be used reliably IMO.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I shot a roll on the most gorgeous day in one of the most gorgeous areas of Iceland, went to rewind it at the end of the day and discovered that the reel didn’t grab the film and I spent all day not noticing that :shepface:

I took a bajillion shots with my digital along the way so all was not lost but still

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you really like the camera then instead of buying more of the same and hoping for the best get one serviced so you'll have a guarantee of reliability for years to come

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
this does make me feel better thank you and so sorry for your losses.

^ yes I'm now planning on getting these serviced! If anyone has a recommendation for Vancouver let me know.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

grilledcheese posted:

this does make me feel better thank you and so sorry for your losses.

^ yes I'm now planning on getting these serviced! If anyone has a recommendation for Vancouver let me know.

Myself and another poster ITT are from Vancouver, I would just say be aware that if you send your camera out of country for service, you'll be charged customs on it when it comes back. I sent my 67 to Eric at pentaxs.com and had to pay an extra $80 on top of the ~$500 repair/CLA. I'm not really aware of a good place for your camera locally but I've been out of the game a couple years.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

I shot a roll on the most gorgeous day in one of the most gorgeous areas of Iceland, went to rewind it at the end of the day and discovered that the reel didn’t grab the film and I spent all day not noticing that :shepface:

I took a bajillion shots with my digital along the way so all was not lost but still

After this happens more than once you start habitually paying attention to the rotation (or lack thereof) of the camera's rewind spool during film advance. I'll always remove all the slack in the canister while loading to ensure every new frame causes rotation on the feed side. Cameras with motorized advances will generally throw some sort of error code if the take-up fails but failures can still happen.

If you notice intermittent grindyness/resistance when advancing the film then there's a good chance that film debris has worked its way into the mechanics. The torque in my Pen FV is bananas and will happily shred to bits any film unlucky enough to become misaligned. Similarly it will very easily rip the end of the film off of the canister spool if you force it at the end of the roll. Bulk loads adhered with scotch tape are especially prone to this.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Got a few digital shots through the 80-200 f/2.8. Manual focus without a split prism kinda sucks, but I am super stoked with the image. Looking forward to putting some film behind it.

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

VelociBacon posted:

Myself and another poster ITT are from Vancouver, I would just say be aware that if you send your camera out of country for service, you'll be charged customs on it when it comes back. I sent my 67 to Eric at pentaxs.com and had to pay an extra $80 on top of the ~$500 repair/CLA. I'm not really aware of a good place for your camera locally but I've been out of the game a couple years.

Thanks, that's helpful. I've done some research and John Hermanson based in the US seems highly recommended for Olympus cameras: http://www.zuiko.com/index.html.

Chatting with him, the estimate for 2 cameras seems to be:

$288 repair/servicing ($144 for one camera, may be more depending on what defects are found)
$100 insurance (John estimates $55 for insurance on return shipping, I'm not sure how much it would cost for insurance to send to him)
$85 shipping (for a 1-1.5kg package, $40 ish one-way)
$80 customs

$553: Total

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Yeah that seems very not worth it. I write off film cameras once I start feeling the hint of not being able to trust them. I would have even less heartbreak over a cheap SLR body. Repair is not worth it unless it's a valuable camera. Sentimental value is overrated. I get it's not great to treat them like they are disposable, but film cameras are dime a dozen and that money can go towards trying out something different that you may like even more. Take it from me, someone who sunk $350 across 2 different repairs + 1 warrantied repair over 5 years on a $400 camera from Japan, just because I didn't think I could've returned it when I first got it (and I realize I totally could've in retrospect).

You could even just outright buy film tested gear rather than rolling the dice on new cameras and budgeting some repair for them. Etsy has a whole load of folks who just thrift shop these unused cameras, slap on new light seals, run a test roll, and list it. I've gotten an Olympus XA through there and it worked, I'd trust that a little more than some Japanese Exc+++ [CLA] from eBay.

cerious fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 9, 2024

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i spent like 150 bucks getting my hasselblad tuned up and it is mechanically flawless, and I’m still coming out ahead by almost half. Would recommend.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
IMO $500 to CLA 2 cameras is reasonable. If you like the camera, there are decent lens available and you could see yourself using the kit for a few years then go for it. Yeah you can buy more untrusted bodies for a lot cheaper but the cost isn't comparable because those cameras could be junk. $250 per camera isn't that bad when you think about the price of film in comparison.

These things are like old cars. You get something tired and in need of repair for cheap but restoring them costs a lot more than the purchase price. That said, if you can find someone selling something recently serviced then you might be able to get a deal, but I'd want proof it was sent to someone knowledgeable before paying a premium.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Yeah I've gotten "film tested" cameras that had fatal issues, it's not a magic incantation. But somebody with a reputation for CLA'ing cameras is going to be pretty drat trustworthy

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
I'm keen on getting these cameras CLA-ed. I don't want to keep sinking money into cameras only to have them fail unexpectedly. I'd rather put my money into more film or lenses or whatever.

Half of the quoted cost is just because I'm shipping from Canada, but the cost seems reasonable considering this is like apparently the one guy in NA who specializes in these cameras.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

I am so, so very weak. Picked this up today from an eBay seller that I noticed was local. Haven't loaded anything, I want to pore over the manual first but I've been fiddling with it to get familiar. I feel like I just stepped out of a time machine into a dazzling bright future.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 9, 2024

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
untitled-00001 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

Anyone have any guess what happened here? Just got 4 rolls of Yaschica C film back. This is the only photo in the bunch that has this.

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!
That looks like a double exposure. Did you take a picture of a round hanging mirror or perhaps a round window? I can make out what looks like a tripod with a camera and a person next to it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Looks kinda cool.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
New camera just dropped

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/retro-camera-31147

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

HorribleAvatar posted:

That looks like a double exposure. Did you take a picture of a round hanging mirror or perhaps a round window? I can make out what looks like a tripod with a camera and a person next to it.

Well poo poo. That sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Admiral Bosch posted:

I am so, so very weak. Picked this up today from an eBay seller that I noticed was local. Haven't loaded anything, I want to pore over the manual first but I've been fiddling with it to get familiar. I feel like I just stepped out of a time machine into a dazzling bright future.

Well, hello there! That's a beautiful camera!