Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Was there any explanation for the “ooh earth rider, thanks for the Great Lakes” quote? It looked really bad when clipped, but I never watched it in context. Was it really just random gibberish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Steely Dad posted:

Was there any explanation for the “ooh earth rider, thanks for the Great Lakes” quote? It looked really bad when clipped, but I never watched it in context. Was it really just random gibberish?

I've not heard of this bullshit but a simple google tells me he was appearing at Earth Rider Brewery, which produces beers named for the great lakes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
This is what the official WH transcript says:

quote:

And that’s on top of another billion dollars to clean up the Great Lakes, which provide drinking water to 20 million people — (applause) — 20 million people. And, by the way, it used to make the beer brewed here — (laughs) — it is used to make the brewed beer here in this refine- — oh, Earth Rider, thanks for the Great Lakes. I wondered why (inaudible) — (laughter).

Even with the understanding that Earth Rider produces beers that are named for the Great Lakes it's unintelligible.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Majorian posted:

This is what the official WH transcript says:

Even with the understanding that Earth Rider produces beers that are named for the Great Lakes it's unintelligible.

That's actually incredibly understandable if your not looking for reasons to dislike biden.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

That's actually incredibly understandable if your not looking for reasons to dislike biden.

I don’t have to look for reasons to dislike him.:confused:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Majorian posted:

I don’t have to look for reasons to dislike him.:confused:

Not that I disagree but then why you pretending that Biden thanking the brewery is unintelligible?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

Not that I disagree but then why you pretending that Biden thanking the brewery is unintelligible?

Because he literally trails off incoherently, to the point where the WH transcript doesn’t seem to be able to make sense of it, even using brackets and [sics] like it does in other parts of the transcript. I understand that Biden was trying to make a reference to the brewery’s products that the audience on-site would understand, then tripped on his words and tried.to play it off as a joke. But when you’re already widely perceived within your own party as too old to serve in the role of President of the United States, maybe you shouldn’t do that? I’m not “pretending” anything. If Biden wants to win, this sort of word salad is not helpful, and pointing that out is not “pretending.”

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure how you get unintelligible for guy saying, I did good thing for you the audience, and then thanking the brewery I'm assuming he was at.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I mean it's not Obama tier speaking but it gets the point across.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
"it is used to make the brewed beer here in this refine- — oh, Earth Rider, thanks for the Great Lakes. I wondered why (inaudible) — (laughter)" is not an intelligible sentence.

e: Why cut off "refinery" in the first sentence? Why follow up with "I wondered why" and then trail off inaudibly? Like, I get that sometimes people flub words in conversation, and the people they're talking with hopefully understand what they meant to say, and everyone can have a good laugh over it. I trip on my tongue all the time. But I'm not the President of the United States, I'm not running for higher office, I'm not pushing 80, and people don't worry about me being senile. So I tend to get a little more grace than is afforded the President of the United States.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 7, 2024

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

FistEnergy posted:

Biden's mental abilities have deteriorated significantly, especially lately. And he looks physically much more frail than Trump, and at times seems like he can't even move around well. And I've never seen Trump get lost on stage or look like he doesn't know where he is or what he's supposed to be doing.

There's a clear difference between Biden and Trump from what I've seen, and Biden is worse. It's an eye test thing - I'm not a doctor - but a clear majority of Americans agree with me, not with the thread consensus in here. They both say and do stupid things, but Biden is on a much different and much sadder level.

Trump is the one exhibiting actual stroke symptoms.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Majorian posted:

"it is used to make the brewed beer here in this refine- — oh, Earth Rider, thanks for the Great Lakes. I wondered why (inaudible) — (laughter)" is not an intelligible sentence.

Dude almost said refinery instead of brewery. Then he thanks the brewery, I'm assuming named earth rider, and says something the guy writing it down doesn't hear. What is unintelligible?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Majorian posted:

Because he literally trails off incoherently, to the point where the WH transcript doesn’t seem to be able to make sense of it, even using brackets and [sics] like it does in other parts of the transcript. I understand that Biden was trying to make a reference to the brewery’s products that the audience on-site would understand, then tripped on his words and tried.to play it off as a joke. But when you’re already widely perceived within your own party as too old to serve in the role of President of the United States, maybe you shouldn’t do that? I’m not “pretending” anything. If Biden wants to win, this sort of word salad is not helpful, and pointing that out is not “pretending.”

Is it possible the media are trawling every off the cuff remark that Biden makes for instances of him sounding less than perfect? I don’t know about you but when I have conversations they often contain hesitations, changes of direction and trail-offs where I change my mind about what to say halfway.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Artificial Kid posted:

Is it possible the media are trawling every off the cuff remark that Biden makes for instances of him sounding less than perfect? I don’t know about you but when I have conversations they often contain hesitations, changes of direction and trail-offs where I change my mind about what to say halfway.

It's not just possible, it's pretty much a certainty. But that's the thing: if Team Biden knows the media is running with the "Biden's brain is mush" narrative, they should probably try to make sure he's not playing into it.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

drilldo squirt posted:

Dude almost said refinery instead of brewery. Then he thanks the brewery, I'm assuming named earth rider, and says something the guy writing it down doesn't hear. What is unintelligible?

Something that apparently gets a laugh from the crowd. Maybe they’re into Dadaism. The only thing we know for sure is that it is a politics and media truth that Biden can’t have made an intelligible joke.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm a certified Double Hater (see gang tag for some proof), and I originally thought that quote was from Trump and thought "huh that sounds pretty coherent actually", so yeah it's fine.

There's plenty of times where Biden called him "Presineld Trunt" or called Obama "President That Guy" etc., you don't need to make up poo poo

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Majorian posted:

It's not just possible, it's pretty much a certainty. But that's the thing: if Team Biden knows the media is running with the "Biden's brain is mush" narrative, they should probably try to make sure he's not playing into it.

The only place they are playing into it is your head.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm a certified Double Hater (see gang tag for some proof), and I originally thought that quote was from Trump and thought "huh that sounds pretty coherent actually", so yeah it's fine.

There's plenty of times where Biden called him "Presineld Trunt" or called Obama "President That Guy" etc., you don't need to make up poo poo

drilldo squirt posted:

The only place they are playing into it is your head.

Cool - I believe both of you that you understood what he was saying. I was probably looking at what he said uncharitably.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 7, 2024

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Trump's the one out there forgetting his own wife's name. That poo poo barely rates notice, and meanwhile the press breathlessly reports that Biden might have had some notecards he read off at a private event.

‘ burger found to contain 50% meat ‘ is an entirely different story depending on the branding of the place it came from. Biden’s brand is largely that he is experienced; having a not-so-great brain is a core problem. For Trump, it is close to a positive.

If someone _that_ stupid can be so rich and powerful, then he must have something _else_ going for him. What that something else is filled in by the listener. Some literally see the hand of God at work. After all, ‘tiny shepherd boy defeats Goliath’ is a much more memorable story than ‘skilled, but slightly smaller, warriors up a fight I. Which he has a tactical advantage and wins’.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

His brain is mush, but he's not in a coma, so he must be God's chosen?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That transcript is an example of why every interview you read "has been edited for clarity" because most people don't talk in perfect sentences most of the time. Biden is definitely on the lower end of the clarity spectrum so it's worse than usual, but I don't think that specific transcript really shows anything other than that.

I don't deny that there are other, more concerning examples out there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One issue is that Biden's stutter and gaffe-prone nature now present as age related.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's plenty of times where Biden called him "Presineld Trunt"

Confirmed CSPAM Trump thread poster

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tiny Timbs posted:

Confirmed CSPAM Trump thread poster

:yikes:

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

small butter posted:

Biden is not facing 91 charges and raging all day while stuffing himself with well done burger meat.

Also, doesn't Biden work out every day?

My guess is a pretty loose definition of "working out," like maybe he gets a mile or two of steps in during his day to day. But I could also see Biden doing bicep curls in front of the mirror

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LaserPrinter69 posted:

My guess is a pretty loose definition of "working out," like maybe he gets a mile or two of steps in during his day to day. But I could also see Biden doing bicep curls in front of the mirror

pretty sure he does bike trails and poo poo every weekend in deleware.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Really disappointing stuff out of Katie Porter

https://twitter.com/katieporteroc/status/1765513523050791023

"Rig" has become a hugely loaded term over the past few years, as Trump constantly talks about rigged elections in the sense they are stolen. Everyone knows what rig means. People rightly called her out over this and so she's decided to pretend like she wasn't doing what we know she was doing.

https://twitter.com/katieporteroc/status/1765621658382168271

Give me a loving break. Take the L.

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1765564202851139851

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I think I need to unsub from this thread for a while and take a mental health non politics break. I had a dream about the election last night, so when it gets to that level its time for a DT detox break. I'm sick of hearing about that fucker and its just not good for me to doom-refresh.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kchama posted:

Having seen Trump at his recent rallies, I'd be shocked if it happened to Biden first. Like, Trump makes the same kind of errors (or worse!) that people claim proves that Biden has dementia or worse, but like dozens of them in a small period of time.

maybe, but for Biden it wouldn't even be the first time he suffered a severe cerebral event in the run up to a presidential election

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

Really disappointing stuff out of Katie Porter

https://twitter.com/katieporteroc/status/1765513523050791023

"Rig" has become a hugely loaded term over the past few years, as Trump constantly talks about rigged elections in the sense they are stolen. Everyone knows what rig means. People rightly called her out over this and so she's decided to pretend like she wasn't doing what we know she was doing.

https://twitter.com/katieporteroc/status/1765621658382168271

Give me a loving break. Take the L.

Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1765564202851139851

i like porter but she should have stayed in the house where she could do some good. i get its was kinda of an either now or never to a degree but schiff was always gonna do well and he did better then that even. this stuff won't help her for her any kind of political run in the future. sucks because she was mostly solid.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Majorian posted:

Let's dig a little deeper into that, though: which parts of the Democratic coalition would they piss off by having a clearly-stated, more humane policy towards immigration and the border? Would they piss off those parts so much that they wouldn't vote for them in the upcoming election?

Polls suggest, shockingly, that it's mainly Republicans who are getting whipped up into a frenzy over immigration as a major crisis: (Gallup)

Pew:

This begs the question, who is Biden hoping to win by taking a right-wing line on immigration and the border? And if he manages to attract voters because of his stance on this issue, will it be enough to cover for the voters that he loses because of it (young voters, for example)?

I'm sure you'll have some bones to pick with this piece, but I think there is a point about how working class voter stances on immigration differ from those of more affluent voters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/17/briefing/immigration-policy-democrats.html

quote:

I don’t mean to suggest that the Democratic Party’s shift on immigration is simply about Trump. It’s part a larger story — namely, the class inversion of American politics, in which the Democratic Party increasingly reflects the views of socially liberal professionals. On immigration, these affluent, highly educated voters tend to favor more open policies, while working-class voters prefer less immigration.

Race plays a nuanced role in these views. White voters do tend to be more skeptical of immigration than Asian, Black and Hispanic voters. But a large chunk of voters of color, especially working-class voters, also favor tighter border security than many leading Democrats do. Immigration appears to be one reason, among many, that Biden’s support among voters of color has deteriorated.

During the past few years — as Democrats have changed their approach to immigration — Republicans have made gains with Asian, Black and Hispanic voters. Some of the biggest gains have come in the border areas of Texas (as this Times map shows). Among Hispanic voters, illegal immigration is one of the Democratic Party’s weakest issues, along with crime and the economy, a Times poll in 2022 found; the party’s strongest issues include abortion, climate, student debt cancellation and Trump’s criminal charges.

Democrats assumed that a more open immigration policy would help increase their support among voters of color. Instead, the opposite has happened.

You're right though that I think the Democratic Party needs to start fighing the actual fight again. You're not alone either.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/democrats-tilting-right-immigration-new-york-special-border-deal-rcna139244

quote:

“All the hot takes hanging the entirety of Suozzi’s win on ‘immigration’ are conflating two different dynamics. Suozzi didn’t win because he edged rightward on immigration,” Levin said. “To the degree that his focus on immigration helped, it was because it highlighted Republican chaos, political theater and their complete lack of interest in serious governing — all with a crisp receipt in their choice to tank their own border bill.”

Levin said Suozzi’s win was also attributable to issues like abortion and threats to democracy, as well as voter distrust in the GOP’s ability to govern, which he said the border showdown proved.

In his campaign, Suozzi endorsed tougher border and asylum laws in the bipartisan Senate deal inked by Murphy and Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., with the support of Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. He took a two-tiered approach on immigration that resembles language former President Barack Obama used in his 2008 and 2012 campaigns — emphasizing enforcement and border security first and championing new legal pathways for migrants to enter the U.S. and become Americans.

“The lesson from Souzzi’s election is that he successfully combined messages about border security with a path to citizenship. He took a balanced approach that appeals to most voters,” said Kerri Talbot, the executive director of the advocacy group Immigration Hub.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One issue is that Biden's stutter and gaffe-prone nature now present as age related.

Yeah I was going to say a lot of this is probably due to his stutter compounded by age/the stress of being President and I really wish more people would remember that instead of using it as evidence that his mental decline is more pronounced than Donald "where's Rudy" Trump.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

My thought also is even if Biden is largely not doing his job, I like most of the people he appoints to his administration more than I actually like him. Trump's tenure basically proved the government can work on autopilot even when an incompetent person is in charge and appoints other incompetents, Biden at least surrounds himself with people who are capable and who frequently have better politics than him.

As long as he can be coherent enough to keep Kamala away from becoming the prez I don't really care if his staff is pushing him along. It's not ideal and that's not exactly going to be a great sell to the voters so I still fret about it, but if he gets to stay in there I'm not exactly thinking it'll be a disaster.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thinking about raprock obama this morning

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

lobster shirt posted:

Barack the Raprock Obama isn't a bad rebrand.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

Raprock Obama and the Hot Dog Flavored Policy.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Push El Burrito posted:

Raprock Obama and the Hot Dog Flavored Policy.

Blue dogs put my signature bill in a blender.
And still I surrendered.

Like a chump.... HEY
Like a chump... HEY
Like a chump... HEY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/peterhvideo/status/1765553068823675048

NY Dems man, I don't know.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently it wasn’t enough to pay the NYPD a billion dollars in overtime to police the subways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Incredible branding exercise. Dems putting uniformed military out in public spaces. People love that poo poo, definitely feels like an empire on the rise.