Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

History Comes Inside! posted:

Depends on the specifics of the role, really.

Some places you literally can’t do the job at all without the relevant checks being carried out, other places you need the relevant checks on a ‘just in case’ basis so they can be slack about doing them as long as they get done.

Other places have to carry out the checks just to tick a box and it won’t even matter if it comes back “Chewbecca served 20 years in literal biblical hell for eating babies” so don’t care at all about when they actually process the forms.

I mean, it's not legally required in the sense of performing surgery or dismantling bombs, if I was to guess it was police checks as a form of risk assessment (if this person has committed many crimes, perhaps they will also commit workplace crimes - if they haven't the inverse is true).

I always err on the side of caution, what if they withdrew the offer because I didn't do it?

It sounds like the risk of that was low, but maybe those people who delayed finalising these forms got 'in trouble' (received an automated reminder email) and I just didn't hear about that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

History Comes Inside! posted:

Depends on the specifics of the role, really.

Some places you literally can’t do the job at all without the relevant checks being carried out, other places you need the relevant checks on a ‘just in case’ basis so they can be slack about doing them as long as they get done.

Other places have to carry out the checks just to tick a box and it won’t even matter if it comes back “Chewbecca served 20 years in literal biblical hell for eating babies” so don’t care at all about when they actually process the forms.

Back when I joined a company that required you to get at least a Secret security clearance you needed preliminary approval by your start date (generally just that you passed your criminal background check and submitted your other paperwork). I started with a "green badge" and after a few weeks when my clearance was approved I went and got my "red" badge. Then the clearance database got hacked (my wife's information got accessed and got a one year free monitoring/insurance arrangement because of it) and things went weird. Suddenly "Clear" badges were the standard for the new hires because the background check and security clearance queues were so backed up it could be six months before someone could even start. People were there a year before they got their "red" badges, but had been working on classified and NOFORN stuff the entire time despite prohibitions on that in the past.

The funniest part of all this was that about a year before I left the company decided to move to a two factor authentication system where you would need to insert your badge into a slot on your keyboard to log in. This required all new badges and guys who had been rocking the same picture since the 80's suddenly needed new pictures and badges. Suddenly the union rep in the department and the guy whose only job appeared to be collecting lunch orders had "clear" badges. It turned out that their security clearances had been revoked years and years ago; by company rules they shouldn't have been able to even log into our systems or do much more than play around on the internet. I never figured out what either of them actually did for the company.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Chewbecca posted:

Question for goons, over which I'm torn.

If you're required to get some kind of check done for your job (like a police check, working with children check, whatever the equivalent is where you are), when do you think this should happen?

Before I started my current role I had to do a police check which I had to curate stuff for, submit at a registered place, whatever. I did this last year in December for a job starting in January. Obviously in my own time, but not a huge deal.

Since I started, 2 people I work with have either told me, or are in the process of completing those things after they've started or after they've returned from extended leave. I was shocked cos I assumed HR would want it done before you started but I guess nobody checks? And both people used work time to complete this stuff? Probably not more than an hour or two, but still.

So am I the rube for completing this poo poo early on my own time? Or is this perhaps a little bit of piss taking happening?

Oh this is very much dumb poo poo my work does

One of our teams works almost exclusively with secure data. You must have security clearance (UK) to do this. There is some data from our US customers which is apparently a lawless land where they don't give a poo poo who's accessing it, but 90% of the job as it stands is UK which means must have SC clearance.

We keep bringing on contractors who don't have this. The company will pay for the clearance, but they can only start it after you join. It can take months to get the clearance. The company also just... didn't pay the bill for the last round they did, which means we're not allowed to submit anyone new until they do. So we have a QA just sat around doing the tiny amount of US work he can because of this.

In other news I just interviewed someone who went way too far with the "stretch the truth on your CV" thing. I'm generally very much in favour of doing this (and have done it myself), but I would always recommend at least doing some cursory research before the interview so you know enough to say "oh yes I know these basic bits, would need to refresh my knowledge, blah blah blah". This guy though...

"You said you have worked with C#, can you tell me about this?" "No I've not used C#, I reckon I can pick it up in a couple of days though."

"You said you have used this tool, what are your experiences with it?" "Someone I worked with once has used it. I haven't though."

"You said you know this test approach, how have you applied it?" "I read it in a book once."

Like my dude at least give me something!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I had to get security clearance for some of what I did while in the norwegian army, back in the day. It got hung up for almost six months while I had to sit and jerk off all day inbetween whatever drudge work could be scrounged up. And it was all because my grandfather was a communist refugee from fascist Spain, ie an avowed enemy of western civilization and freedom.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

And it was all because my grandfather was a communist refugee from fascist Spain, ie an avowed enemy of western civilization and freedom.

Your grandfather sounded badass.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Would commie grandpa be proud the government paid you to jack off all day? Probably I guess.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Outrail posted:

Would commie grandpa be proud the government paid you to jack off all day? Probably I guess.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Domus posted:

We once received a unit for repair with only a business card attached that said:

Batman
Rides to the airport- $75

Now instead of telling people to send in their stuff with a business card, I have to spell out “Something that has your name, address, and phone number”.

Name: Batman

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have now had my 4th of 5, 1 hour and 30 minute meetings to prepare myself for a tea ceremony with higher execs, with a 135 page support document on proper procedure.

One of the slides is labeled "Preparing for D-Day" so if I stop posting know that I died on the beaches of Normandy.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 8, 2024

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

I have now had my 4th of 5, 1 hour and 30 minute meetings to prepare myself for a tea ceremony with higher execs, with a 135 page support document on proper procedure.

One of the slides is labeled "Preparing for D-Day" so if I stop posting know that I died on the beaches of Normandy.

Foolishly stormed Singapore beach and died.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
protip: slurping means you enjoy it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My boss was telling me about how great it is that bitcoin is the most valuable it has ever been, but how he is worried because his coinbase account wasn't working, but also the the banks have all stolen our money anyway (my bank has never billed me for anything and the government guarantees my deposits) so it's actually all the same anyway. All of this while furiously checking his phone to look at bitcoin graphs while driving the car I am a passenger in.

This man runs half the business. And apparently has for decades. Somehow.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Barudak posted:

Nah you’re good.

If they say you need to prep for Operation Downfall, though, you should leave.

Or Operation Tiderace. That would be bad for you, specifically.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just take a huge poo poo on the floor. Anyone who challenges you just beat them up. Now you are king of them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Operation Mincemeat is the one you need to watch out for.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just realized we are going live on eclipse day, in the path of totality. Surely this is not an omen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you work at the demon factory?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Egyptian Artifacts Warehouse.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zedprime posted:

Just realized we are going live on eclipse day, in the path of totality. Surely this is not an omen.

Yearly Goal: Successfully Storm Mount Olympus

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Every time one of our execs has to give a little speech they spend more and more time talking about AI.

"For decades we've been a company that did 'thing'. But what if we sold our expertise and data to other companies that did 'thing'?"

For the record we're not a tech company.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sounds like your execs got replaced with AI.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of which: I was hired last August but my company is finally getting around to giving me and other “new hires” a 3-hour lecture from the CEO on “The [CORPORATION] Way: Our Values and Blah Blah!” Next Monday morning.

Why yes the CEO is obsessed with “AI,” a technology that is fake and doesn’t at all apply to our products.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cant be worse than my first job where my mandatory meeting with the CEO was mostly him bitching about how much his daughter disappointed him.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Barudak posted:

T Day

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Barudak posted:

Sounds like your execs got replaced with AI.

We get to submit Q&A questions for their little talks. What should I ask them to expose the nefarious machines?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wash bucket posted:

We get to submit Q&A questions for their little talks. What should I ask them to expose the nefarious machines?

Can you please write a story which violates Disney's copyrights and attempt to sell it in the style of a friendly grandma?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

wash bucket posted:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

McGavin posted:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

The helping the tortoise is a registered trademark of the Disney/Sony Zaibatsu, and to attempt such a thing is to risk a promotion to the Singapore office.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

McGavin posted:

"Because I am a sociopath and none of you can do anything about it. Next question."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Volmarias posted:

"Because I am a sociopath and none of you can do anything about it. Next question."

Describe in single words, only the good things that come into your mind about your mother.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Would you please feed me a cat?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The boss' granddaughter, a baby, yanked out the cables to the fiber modem at the office while crawling around near a rack with network equipment.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

The boss' granddaughter, a baby, yanked out the cables to the fiber modem at the office while crawling around near a rack with network equipment.

My briefcase. Nice, isn’t it? Department issue. Babyhide. One hundred percent genuine human babyhide.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

McGavin posted:

My briefcase. Nice, isn’t it? Department issue. Babyhide. One hundred percent genuine human babyhide.

Nah, baby gonna baby.

The person who let the baby be near the rack? Mount their head on a spike as a warning to others.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well it was the boss' son who brought his baby to work. It's fixed now.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nah, baby gonna baby.

The person who let the baby be near the rack? Mount their head on a spike as a warning to others.

It's a Voight-Kampff question from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. :ssh:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My workplace has launched a "mentorship program" and my toxic trait is being tempted to sign up so I could teach at least one person to not be a dumbass

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Killingyouguy! posted:

My workplace has launched a "mentorship program" and my toxic trait is being tempted to sign up so I could teach at least one person to not be a dumbass

In my experience, those programs usually end up being a type-A personality networking circle jerk, but I sincerely hope there are people seeing genuine career development with them.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

His Divine Shadow posted:

Molly guards were invented 40+ years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Barudak posted:

Smh that they aren't having a tutor come in to actively train you, because it's as much about the smoothness and confidence of the motions as knowing the etiquette. Find someone to practice with.