Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i wait until a show has their series finale before i start watching it because i don't feel like living on someone else's timetable. same with book series. i'm sure streaming companies hate me but DVD box set companies used to love me.

another nice thing about living this way is you get to avoid spoilers by never engaging with TV fandoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Jolo posted:

If they dropped True Detective Season 4 all at once, most of the conversation would be around that wild finale where we find out that [spoilre] the True Detective was the friends we made along the way[/spoiler] and not the week to week discussion about who the True and False Detectives were.

That conversation will cost you.

You will pay for that conversation.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Simplex posted:

The only reason services switched to the weekly release model is because they realized they could milk 3 months of subscription fees out of impatient consumers, rather than the standard one month binge and drop the service.

I guess good for you if you enjoy the buzz and the conversation, but know that you are paying for it.

Frankly juggling a list of subscriptions that I'm actively canceling or renewing based on new release schedules sounds worse than just like, having Netflix or not having Netflix and not really thinking about it either way

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Frankly juggling a list of subscriptions that I'm actively canceling or renewing based on new release schedules sounds worse than just like, having Netflix or not having Netflix and not really thinking about it either way

That's more or less Netflix's original concept. They would have so much stuff on there that once you finished binging one show, there would be another show right there waiting for you to binge a well. So there'd be no point to canceling because there was always something new.

But they had trouble meeting those kind of production schedules and started experimenting with things like splitting seasons in 2. Then the late comers to the game started launching streaming platforms with really sparse catalogs, and here we are.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

Pray that I don't chat about it further

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

In order to fully understand True Detective Season 4, I had to go back and rewatch a scene from the first season over and over again. You know the one.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

gah, no......

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

One detective always tells the truth, and one always lies. It’s your job to determine, by asking only one question, who the True Detective is

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

another nice thing about living this way is you get to avoid spoilers by never engaging with TV fandoms

TV fandoms are the worst, I was around for I acquit and Mike shot Jessie or whatever that one was

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

i dated someone thick into :lost: when it was airing and that was wild

unrelated, just watched marcel the shell with shoes on via Netflix and it was good!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Like they had a dump truck rear end and they were also into lost or they just were really really into lost?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I simply subscribe to some dog poo poo steeeaming service to watch 3 episodes of some show and continue paying for it forever. very easy for me

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Smythe posted:

I simply subscribe to some dog poo poo steeeaming service to watch 3 episodes of some show and continue paying for it forever. very easy for me

No joke, this is what happened to my parents when the did the Disney bundle - they watched one thing and forgot to turn it off for three months.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i wait until a show has their series finale before i start watching it because i don't feel like living on someone else's timetable. same with book series. i'm sure streaming companies hate me but DVD box set companies used to love me.

I like to wait ten years after a show has ended and then look up the old threads and read along while watching, so it feels like travelling back in time :).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Famethrowa posted:

must consume content

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Like they had a dump truck rear end and they were also into lost or they just were really really into lost?

you know, now that i think about it, both :lost::lost::lost::lost::lost:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I get the idea of wanting to talk to others about "what happened last night" on Your Favorite TV Show. But the level of fandom discourse is stygian. Exhibit 1, just about any discussion on Lost.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lost wasn't / isn't a typical fandom IMO. It attracted a lot of weirdos, even by TV-fandom standards.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Wasn’t Lost really popular with normies? That’s how I remember it c. 2005-2006 anyway

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

eighty-four merc posted:

Wasn’t Lost really popular with normies? That’s how I remember it c. 2005-2006 anyway

Yep. Came in to work one day and like 7 diff people were talking about last nights ep in 2005 for most of the season.

Same for 24 but slightly less of a following.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

eighty-four merc posted:

Yeah I mean it was one proto-modern golden age of TV shows with a really shareable mythos that invited people to talk about it. Everyone joined in the "water-cooler"ness of it.

What Went Wrong podcast just did two episodes (one on its inception and one on the finale).

While the idea has been around it was always just a straight arrow crash survival show. When they got Abrams/Lindelof involved they had six weeks from the greenlight of their "weird" version to first day of shoot. That's insane.

Casting, scouting, EVERYTHING done in six weeks. And honestly they never really got their footing from there and thats why the mythos kinda struggled. Honestly it sounds like Lindelof was looking to get out from drat near day 1 after the pilot. Too much stress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

TV fandoms are the worst, I was around for I acquit and Mike shot Jessie or whatever that one was

That wasn't fandoms. That's goons being bad at watching tv.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Jose Oquendo posted:

That wasn't fandoms. That's goons being bad at watching tv.

It's not just TV, remember the multi page TDK arguments about whether Harvey Dent was still alive lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

No joke, this is what happened to my parents when the did the Disney bundle - they watched one thing and forgot to turn it off for three months.

i think this describes the majorty if ppl irl. aint nobody out there toggling their streaming things like theyre playing factorio or something

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I mean it was one proto-modern golden age of TV shows with a really shareable mythos that invited people to talk about it. Everyone joined in the "water-cooler"ness of it.

What Went Wrong podcast just did two episodes (one on its inception and one on the finale).

While the idea has been around it was always just a straight arrow crash survival show. When they got Abrams/Lindelof involved they had six weeks from the greenlight of their "weird" version to first day of shoot. That's insane.

Casting, scouting, EVERYTHING done in six weeks. And honestly they never really got their footing from there and thats why the mythos kinda struggled. Honestly it sounds like Lindelof was looking to get out from drat near day 1 after the pilot. Too much stress.

That variety (?) article about Carlton Cuse coming in there and loving things up with the explicit intent to sideline every minority character didn't help either. Never liked it.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lost would've done so much better under HBO or a cable channel. Network TV deadlines are already insane for episodic shows that shoot mostly on stage. Doing a fully serialized show with a sprawling ensemble cast almost fully on location is nuts even without a psycho like Cuse running the writers room.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Lost did pretty loving well, it ran for many seasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The mean girls reboot is smashed dog poo poo.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Glottis posted:

Lost did pretty loving well, it ran for many seasons.

I meant "would've been a better show". It was definitely a smash hit, ratings wise.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

but is it fetch

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just discovered that my local library system has a really good film catalogue (better selection than Netflix) and you can stream 5 a month for free. The website bears all the hallmarks of french public sector contractors (ie it's incredibly slow and buggy) but it's still a fantastic service. Check yours out if you haven't!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Martman posted:

but is it fetch

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Extraordinary is back on Hulu and it's great already. Takes the fun everyday superpower aspect of Boys without the cringe Ennis-ness of it all. The gag of bringing back the spirits of the dead for petty young adult problems never gets old.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

distortion park posted:

Just discovered that my local library system has a really good film catalogue (better selection than Netflix) and you can stream 5 a month for free. The website bears all the hallmarks of french public sector contractors (ie it's incredibly slow and buggy) but it's still a fantastic service. Check yours out if you haven't!

That needs to go into the OP. Public and college library systems can get you access to lots of free streaming services. Kanopy is the first one that comes to mind. You can even sign up for library cards and poo poo online so you don't have to go to a physical library (but you should anyway and support your local library system.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im watching Iceman

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Libraries also have games now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Inspector Hound posted:

Foxcatcher, on Hulu, is at least worth checking out for Steve Carell's very weird performance. It's the bizarre story of John du Pont manipulating a pair of brothers into helping him with his ill fated turn at coaching a wrestling team, and how mean to him his mom was. I love seeing comedic actors do dramatic roles. I feel like it can be their secret strong suit--you can almost see the way comedy and drama are the same, that in order to make another person laugh you have to transform yourself completely, and how maybe delivering offensive jokes completely deadpan on The Office is the same as portraying evil or grief.. Everyone is good in it, I was impressed by the depiction of wrestling in general, and the way the two main characters walked in particular; they really had down the "all your joints were horrifically injured before you were 20 but you wouldn't stop, also you are more muscle than man" walk. I didn't have a brother, but I hope if I had it might be close to this. Well, except the end, I guess.

e follow up with The Patient, also Hulu, for more dramatic Carell

Carell's performance is considerably less weird than the real John duPont.

nonathlon posted:

Netflix has been promoting the Code 8 films so I caught up with them:

Code 8 is a slightly grungy mid-budget superpowers film that is by no means great and has a bunch of half-cooked ideas in it and some very average acting, but executes it well. The idea is that super powered people are an underclass, displaced by automation and regulation controlling potentially hazardous powers, the police deploying drones and combat robots to control supers, so naturally they turn to crime. It's different and a pleasant surprise.

Code 8, 2 (or whatever, the 2nd installment) is more of the same, with one or two clever ideas added in, but overall the cliches abound, the acting grates and it feels like a bit of a rush job. Not terrible but very missable.

IMDB rates them 8 and 6 respectively, which feels about right to me.

Did they really not have a better title for the second one?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

That needs to go into the OP. Public and college library systems can get you access to lots of free streaming services. Kanopy is the first one that comes to mind. You can even sign up for library cards and poo poo online so you don't have to go to a physical library (but you should anyway and support your local library system.

Kanopy costs libraries and universities a huge amount of money. Even Stanford noped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

Kanopy costs libraries and universities a huge amount of money. Even Stanford noped out.

I don't know the particulars but I know there's different tiers institutions can sign up. Like, if I log into Kanopy with my university login, I get a different set of movies than if I log in with my public library account.

edit: I found this about the cost of the service: https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrowe1/2019/07/31/how-much-is-your-library-paying-for-the-kanopy-video-streaming-service/?sh=7f32ae9170fd