Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm giving heavy armour a go. Only played against bugs so far. It's pretty funny now when i get knocked by a charger and go flying and still survive, but more often I'm finding myself surrounded and unable to stim from the incoming hiys. Annoyingly damage feels inconsistent - sometimes a full charger hit doesn't kill me, but also i was jogging around a stationary charger when it turned, not an attack, and i died outright.

I'm dying a lot in these level sevens between my new slowness and because I'm mucking around with different stratagems (i trend to dying a lot anyway). I've never used Eagles before and i want to use the strafing run, but i forget how often it's available compared to my usual orbital strikes so the short cooldown goes to waste!

I've got some hope for the future considering how this breaker and railgun nerf (nd the other guns being buffed) has been pretty tame, and it's happened within a month. They're not drastic changes. I'm hoping they've actually got a monthly process for this kind of thing going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntp6SJ58Lsk

tl;dw armor does work but it doesn't affect getting headshot.

The player head hitbox is big enough to be hit fairly often, even by the smallest bugs if you do something like crouch or look down. Large bugs can easily swipe your head. Bots will actively aim for your head. Different helmets do not seem to have any affect. Ultimately you are probably better off with the increased movespeed and stamina that light armor provides right now. Knowing the head is so vulnerable makes the shield even more important to bring imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is funny but there's a part of me that kinda hopes someone spins up a website that datamines and determines exactly where players should split their efforts to completely own the dev's hand-crafted invasion expansions/feints (like they're expecting this to pull people away from stopping the bug expansion, but enough people stay in to stop that too), just because that sort of thing is usually really entertaining to watch

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

*PSN account required. Content shown requires base game, paid purchase of Super Credits, and game progression to unlock.

I'm hoping that that's a clumsily-worded disclaimer, mainly because I can't imagine how they would differentiate between paid for super credits and ones you nicked from the shipping containers.

OH BOY am I ever excited about an electro-shotgun

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I gotta say, for such a simple game this is a hell of a lot of fun. I wonder if they might put some sort of tower defense mechanic into it for some missions, where your job is to defend an outpost for 10 minutes from hoards of small bugs. Seeing endless bug slaughter might be fun.

Or maybe they have that already and I just haven't found it yet.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Played a level 7 against bugs and got run down by a charger while the rest of the team had hosed off. I ran into a base thiniking I could get away from it but it just clipped through a wall like it wasn't there. I died after the dropship had been called down but after reinforcements were timed out, so I was the only one who didn't extract

Fabricated posted:

This is funny but there's a part of me that kinda hopes someone spins up a website that datamines and determines exactly where players should split their efforts to completely own the dev's hand-crafted invasion expansions/feints (like they're expecting this to pull people away from stopping the bug expansion, but enough people stay in to stop that too), just because that sort of thing is usually really entertaining to watch

Y'know what? If this is an excuse as to mechs being delayed after all the bitching about the balance patch...

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 7, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

wow the robot eradicate missions are way more fun now

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Yessssssss Sickle.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cimber posted:

I gotta say, for such a simple game this is a hell of a lot of fun. I wonder if they might put some sort of tower defense mechanic into it for some missions, where your job is to defend an outpost for 10 minutes from hoards of small bugs. Seeing endless bug slaughter might be fun.

Or maybe they have that already and I just haven't found it yet.

This is basically an eradicate mission--you're tasked with killing hundreds of enemies in a small location. There's no "hold this ground or you lose" condition, but it is functionally there as the mission becomes increasingly difficult if you get pushed out of the defensible positions. The bot version really fits the aesthetic as it takes place at the top of a fortress, and the bots generally need to path up switchbacks to get to the 'defensible' landing area where the players land.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This is sad, this is disgusting, oh well time to kill more enemies of Super Earth.

E; Also didn't take long for the subreddit to go from funny memes to turn on the devs because of some weapon nerfs. lol

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Hmm, does this mean some strategies will be tied to certain planets? Like if we lose this one in the future, will mechs be unavailable until it's reliberated?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Be advised: honk shoo

I’ll let everyone else take care of it while I go back to bed

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Sickle will go great with my Imperial Guard themed look

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

This is a legit cool and fun way of releasing new content.

also:

https://twitter.com/PlayStationUK/status/1765755735772700986

Man I hope the 1k price is fixed, at least for a while. I've earned ~1.5k from play, but blown a load on speedy armour in the super store, so I'm down to 800. 1k a pop feels pretty reasonable, given the rate of accumulation

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

chargers are maybe the worst part of this game on the highest difficulties, i dont bother playing bug planets anymore

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

ShadowMar posted:

chargers are maybe the worst part of this game on the highest difficulties, i dont bother playing bug planets anymore

:emptyquote:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
7 is manageable but 8/9 are just stupid for bugs. Hulks and Tanks are much more manageable than Chargers and Bile Titans

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah man I love that they're tying the release of new content in with the evolving story of the war effort. Cool stuff.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

explosivo posted:

Ah man I love that they're tying the release of new content in with the evolving story of the war effort. Cool stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate the fat acid spewing bugs and the other acid spewing bugs that are black.

Both have killed me more times than anything. I move away thinking I’m clear and then
:barf:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So after seeing so many posts complaining about meteors I quickplayed into a few 9's on a meteor planet and was expecting bullshit instant death like people in the thread were saying.

• There is a GIANT message in the middle of your screen that it's starting.
  • There is a GIGANTIC spotlight that shrinks on where the meteor will land.
  • You can easily walk out of it before it can land if it's aimed at you.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

God drat I love this game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Automatons are way more fun to deal with than bugs because their heavies will kill you way faster than bug heavies typically will but have actual sensible weak points that kill them incredibly quickly if you can hit them.

It is terminally unfun to play charger matador against like 4 chargers while slowly whittling away at them with a flamer or something, which is why people gravitated towards the railgun en masse in the first place.

Automaton missions rule.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So after seeing so many posts complaining about meteors I quickplayed into a few 9's on a meteor planet and was expecting bullshit instant death like people in the thread were saying.

poo poo must be bugged sometimes or it's just really hard to see this gigantic spotlight you speak of on planets with lighter surfaces. Because I was on the planet that looks like the moon last night and those meteors were not able to be avoided at all and we were looking very hard for signs to tell us where they were landing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I feel like I'm only one in thinking the idea of wanting builds and loadouts to be able to stand tall and hold off a bunch of chargers and titans to go against what the game is about. It's an endless war fighting over planets. Sometimes we'll be winning but I think sometimes we need to be losing and getting our asses kicked. We should sometimes run into these situations and go welp I'm going to die on this planet let's make it count for something. Mission objectives not being tied to our successful exfil already plays into this and I think the devs are good to lean into this.

That said, the big issues from this is that current game's progression (samples) relies on you actually making it out alive with said samples. I think them embracing death but also giving us secondary alternatives to collecting resources and maybe gaining reinforcements in mission would go a long way in making the impossible enemy force and harder difficulty gameplay loop better. It's no longer an all or nothing gotta complete everything AND make it out alive to get the super samples. It would also put less stress on the necessity of needing a meta loadout to keep up with the enemy because again the singular goal of making it out alive is no longer the only way to progress.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Please show me a video of this giant spotlight that you can easily avoid. I think this might be a thing that is affected by your video settings because there is not a clear easily avoided indicator for me that I've noticed, it just gets brighter like half a second before it hits you and you can maybe avoid if you dive instantly without hesitation

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

poo poo must be bugged sometimes or it's just really hard to see this gigantic spotlight you speak of on planets with lighter surfaces. Because I was on the planet that looks like the moon last night and those meteors were not able to be avoided at all and we were looking very hard for signs to tell us where they were landing.

I can't say I've ever seen the spotlight - screenshot/video?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They really are just FFXIV style aoe markers, aren't they?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ion storm can get hosed tho

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

They really are just FFXIV style aoe markers, aren't they?

I am more than a little disappointed by the people saying they were bullshit unavoidable instant death that killed them half a dozen times.

I am willing to accept there could be some planets or times of days where it's much less obvious than tien kwan.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I feel like I'm only one in thinking the idea of wanting builds and loadouts to be able to stand tall and hold off a bunch of chargers and titans to go against what the game is about. It's an endless war fighting over planets. Sometimes we'll be winning but I think sometimes we need to be losing and getting our asses kicked. We should sometimes run into these situations and go welp I'm going to die on this planet let's make it count for something. Mission objectives not being tied to our successful exfil already plays into this and I think the devs are good to lean into this.

That said, the big issues from this is that current game's progression (samples) relies on you actually making it out alive with said samples. I think them embracing death but also giving us secondary alternatives to collecting resources and maybe gaining reinforcements in mission would go a long way in making the impossible enemy force and harder difficulty gameplay loop better. It's no longer an all or nothing gotta complete everything AND make it out alive to get the super samples. It would also put less stress on the necessity of needing a meta loadout to keep up with the enemy because again the singular goal of making it out alive is no longer the only way to progress.

Dailies should give super samples instead of medals IMO, at least some of them

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Everyone needs to log out of that subreddit, devs included. What a dumpster fire

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I played last night in a volcano eruption, which was meteor-ish. Just splashes of fire hitting the ground occasionally. You'd get a warning when it started up.

I couldn't see any indicator on the ground, you'd just randomly get splashed. Maybe I just didn't see it on the jungle floor. I never died to it, though I did get hit and taken down to maybe 20% health a few times. It did blow up a bunch of bugs though!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I am more than a little disappointed by the people saying they were bullshit unavoidable instant death that killed them half a dozen times.

Yeah they’re completely avoidable, had no problem navigating a meteor shower. The bugs on the other hand were getting absolutely hammered.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I didn't mind the meteors on a barren planet, but the foliage on a jungle planet obscures the spotlights, at least on my graphical settings. It still wasn't too bad, though I've only played with jungle volcanoes a couple of times so maybe I've just been lucky.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Piell posted:

Please show me a video of this giant spotlight that you can easily avoid. I think this might be a thing that is affected by your video settings because there is not a clear easily avoided indicator for me that I've noticed, it just gets brighter like half a second before it hits you and you can maybe avoid if you dive instantly without hesitation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBaW7tpvKf8&t=93s

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

they don't always show up or sometimes you have maybe one second to get out of the way before the meteor impacts, it's fucky

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, the white dots that appear 0.5 seconds before impact?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Guess I'm blind or a big dumb baby (or both) but this isn't as clear as you are making it out to be. Also if the spotlights are blue then that explains why I was not able to see anything on the planet with a whiteish blueish surface until I died from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Oh, the white dots that appear 0.5 seconds before impact?

You can see two at the top of the screen at the timestamp that take about 8 seconds before they land.
At 1:37 you can see the start of a spotlight on the top left and it lands and kills some bugs at 1:45 on screen.

The volcano eruptions I couldn't see any warning signs in that video.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 7, 2024