Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Our 2 year old just got over his gastroenteritis, this morning about 03:30, our 5 year old started throwing up. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I've been a single parent all week while my wife is traveling for work and I have renewed respect for people who do this poo poo full time. Not being able to pop out to the store or the gym while the kid is sleeping is driving me batty.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

once you've got multiple kids with multiple nap schedules it gets worse because you can't even spend those naps taking a break

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Baby has decided that coughing for giggles isn't it any more.
Now shrieking.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My kid finally has a girl her own age in daycare too and she calls her "my best friend," and today when we got to daycare the girl was waiving her down to come over and play :3:

Prior to this my daughter would opine sadly about not having any friends at daycare. She used to be friends with a bunch of boys (who she claims to have married), but they all aged out and went to pre-k.

Thank you, based toddler.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

So my kid doesn't have measles, which i kind of know already, but

(e/n post incoming)

while I was waiting at the clinic we were stuck in line for about an hour in front of maybe the biggest blowhard negative rear end in a top hat I've ever met.

He just wouldn't shut up about:

- the clinic (it was his third day there and they hadn't seen him yet!)
- his lack of primary physician
- how cold it was to be waiting in line outside
- even if you get an appointment, they might just kick you out anyways!

just stream of consciousness complaining, and repeating himself 3-5 times about each.

Then, he sees the faded sign from 3-4 years ago about physical distancing / wearing masks and starts going off about that:

- he's not vaccinated
- COVID is just a way for the government to control you
- vaccines are dangerous
- nobody really died of COVID

(i'm with my 10 year old in line)

Anyways, I lost it on him after he said no one really died of COVID and told him off politely. I pointed out that in fact about 75,000 Canadians had died of COVID and those people had families who miss them. He immediately starts stammering about how sure, some people died but it wasn't always from COVID but they made it seem like it was COVID so doctors could get more money (???) and that it's not all black and white. I snapped at him that if you're dead, it's pretty loving black and white. He finally shut up after that.

Normally I wouldn't get involved with random idiots or tell such a :goonsay: and then everybody clapped story but I'm pretty happy bc I think I set a good example for my kid.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
good on you. here in Michigan I’d be afraid of armed retaliation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I tend to use my kid as a comedy prop when we encounter adults behaving badly in the wild. We have a conversation about what the man (usually) is doing, why it's inappropriate, and what they should be doing instead. The other people suffering through the tantrum get a kick out of it and more than one bad actor has taken the kids advice of "he should drink some water and take some deep breaths."

I'm really banking on "you wouldn't shoot a guy with a kid" in retrospect.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

loquacius posted:

once you've got multiple kids with multiple nap schedules it gets worse because you can't even spend those naps taking a break

Every time I think "awww but it would be cute if he had a brother or sister" I see a post like this and it 100% confirms that I'd be better off taking a hammer to my balls

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
eh, it's just a few years then it's a built in buddy for life.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I tend to use my kid as a comedy prop when we encounter adults behaving badly in the wild. We have a conversation about what the man (usually) is doing, why it's inappropriate, and what they should be doing instead. The other people suffering through the tantrum get a kick out of it and more than one bad actor has taken the kids advice of "he should drink some water and take some deep breaths."

I'm really banking on "you wouldn't shoot a guy with a kid" in retrospect.

Lmao I'm saving this post in my brain for the future. Genius

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Loudly explaining to a kid that what the guy is doing is in fact not acceptable behaviour owns.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's also a good way to get some loud belligerent fuckhead directly in your face.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Every time I think "awww but it would be cute if he had a brother or sister" I see a post like this and it 100% confirms that I'd be better off taking a hammer to my balls

yeah the kids playing together is great but you gotta be prepared for "ok now do it again but harder this time" for early childhood years

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Signing my kids up for summer school again nyeh hehehe

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BonHair posted:

Loudly explaining to a kid that what the guy is doing is in fact not acceptable behaviour owns.

:yeah:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's also a good way to get some loud belligerent fuckhead directly in your face.

Continue the learning experience!

*squats down to kids level*
Now Park Jr, do you remember what we do when some pencil-necked geek gets all up in our craw? Well, yes, we could use a hurricanrana however

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son put a bunch of toys onto a shelf, i asked him what he was doing and he said "im getting things ready for the competition". then i asked him what kind of competition and he said "its when you have a big party". now he is demanding that one of my cats gets the party started lol. four year olds are so weird.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Feeling like a piece of poo poo problem.

My son's daycare assigned him his first ever homework assignment. And I'm refusing to play the games he wants to play together until he does it. Because I guess I feel like he needs to learn what's expected.

And now I feel like all those terrible parents who put schoolwork above everything, but for a loving four year old over a worksheet that has no grade attached.

I know in my heart 4 year olds shouldn't be doing homework, but I also don't want to teach him the habit that homework doesn't matter for when he's older.

How do I walk this line a little less shittily?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
I really don't think you're ever going to be able to get 4 year old to sit down and do homework. I just ignore that stuff

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

why the gently caress is daycare giving homework lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

lobster shirt posted:

why the gently caress is daycare giving homework lol

To get them ready for school. I'd prefer they didn't, because evidence says homework is a net negative on learning even through most of elementary school.

Writing the number 13 10 times isn't going to facilitate any kind of learning, I'd much rather he continue his fascination with the idea of coming up with poetry than rote spewed handwriting.

But since they did assign it, I'm afraid of all the possible associations he could make with the idea of homework. It being unpleasant and forced, and it being optional and ignored are both bad outcomes for his development.

All my choices just make me feel like I'm screwing him over somehow.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

screw it up into a ball and use it to shoot a 3 pointer into the trash

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

kecske posted:

This is the best preparation you could give

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

kecske posted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

kecske posted:

yup

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The people's education politburo has spoken. Purge the counter revolutionary preschool homework

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I find it difficult to even make my school aged kids do homework because it's all bullshit.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
wtf, my kid is in one of those rich PMC school districts and no home work in 2nd grade.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

my kiddos preschool "homework" amounts to finding some objects that are shapes to bring to class or a book you like to share

It's in a packet one kid a week gets so it's maybe once a quarter he brings it home

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

wouldn't surprise me if the homework packet is produced just to get the busybody parents off their backs about the "curriculum".

I remember back in pre-school some kids would come in with "assignments" 100% done on a computer and clearly by their parents.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

kecske posted:

yell NBA Jam announcer quotes every time you hit one

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Jesus christ, homework for a 4 year old. I doubt I could get my 5 year old who starts grade 0 in august to do homework. He's more into drawing monsters with lots of teeth.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Struensee posted:

Jesus christ, homework for a 4 year old. I doubt I could get my 5 year old who starts grade 0 in august to do homework. He's more into drawing monsters with lots of teeth.

Cool kid. Mine likes drawing socks.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My kid in kindergarten gets a weekly homework packet. We don't mind the homework too much but made clear from an early age that grades are imaginary bullshit and to not care about them. On that point my older kid's class is gearing up to focus on standardized testing preparation, but the tests aren't until late April/May. They get maybe one art class every week or so.

If you're interested in establishing good habits there are likely better ways than mandating some worksheets anyway.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My grade zero six year old has had exactly 28 pieces of homework in grade zero: bring an object starting with [letter]. He had fun when we remembered, but it was no big deal. It sounds like it's the same in all Danish grade zeros. He would be heavily into homework though, and we've gotten him books with math problems and writing exercises for fun anyway.
I really don't know how I'll deal with actual homework though, I never learned to do it because I was always ahead in the lower grades, which probably didn't help me in high school...

æøå

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ikanreed posted:

Cool kid. Mine likes drawing socks.

Any really cool pics to share? I love kids' drawings. Also applies to toothy monsters.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Gonna have to check when I get home from this overnight shift.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The cool part about daylight savings is that instead of getting up at 4:30 every day now we'll get up at 5:30.

Chad Sexington has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Mar 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Chad Sexington posted:

The cool part about daylight savings is that instead of getting up at 4:30 every day now we'll get up at 5:30.

for now