Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
If you live in Arizona I can get you set up lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The monoprice Tele I got was set up out of the box. I straightened the neck (I like no relief at all and very low action) and lowered the nut slots. The nut slot height was much better than I’ve seen with squires and even MiM Fenders I’ve gotten in the past, it’s just that everything that affects action I like as low as possible. Frets were perfect, but a little rough. For 100 bucks I’m certainly not complaining. I think it looks great too

Eventually I might consider upgrading the pickups (was thinking of a p90 in the neck which is not something I’ve ever had on a Tele, and the neck routing is large enough for that or a humbucker). The pickups sound really nice though imo, which was shocking for the price. I mainly bought this to control synths though so I’m not sure if I care enough to mess with the electronics. Saddle I ntonation was flawless. The nut is plastic as well - the whole thing makes a wonderful beginner guitar, or guitar for someone more experienced to mess around with while not worrying about messing up something nice. I’m happy with it as is. The tuners are the weakest part - they hold pitch just fine but feel rough.

If I just lucked out, for a little more money they have guitars for sale that are set up once they arrive in the USA before being shipped to the customer. I don’t have any personal experience with those though.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I keep up on new guitar stuff pretty often. I like to browse all the new stuff that's coming out...I've come to really hate laurel fretboards.

They look like lovely cheap rosewood. It's probably easier/cheaper/not endangered wood. But it looks like poo poo. Just use richlite or something. I am already anal about how rosewood should look(I like the super dark boards without streaks in it). Laurel has a lot of color variation, most of the time it's a lighter color.

Gibson is putting them on 1500 dollar Epiphones now. It probably saves them like 49 cents a guitar or something dumb like that.

oof.

edit: That 100 dollar tele looks rad. I got some cheapo locking tuners on Amazon for like 20 bucks and they were great on my Kramer. Get those if you don't like the stock ones!

Malaria fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 6, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Malaria posted:

I keep up on new guitar stuff pretty often. I like to browse all the new stuff that's coming out...I've come to really hate laurel fretboards.

They look like lovely cheap rosewood. It's probably easier/cheaper/not endangered wood. But it looks like poo poo. Just use richlite or something. I am already anal about how rosewood should look(I like the super dark boards without streaks in it). Laurel has a lot of color variation, most of the time it's a lighter color.

Gibson is putting them on 1500 dollar Epiphones now. It probably saves them like 49 cents a guitar or something dumb like that.

I'm with you here. I don't hate it inherently (it feels perfectly fine to play, but I'm a maple guy)

But it an inherently warm tint to it that needs to be paired with specific colors, for instance

Looks pretty good with the pale yellow. Looks really out of place with the cool gray.

Another example with the pale yellow/natural stain, versus a red where it really doesn't work and I don't know quite why but it looks really bad with basically any red guitar

And it's nothing a little wipe-on stain couldn't fix but it's weird that fender/gibson aren't doing that for you, they have to know it doesn't look right

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
cheap guitars cheap woods my bass vi has a weird laurel board I think

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

rio posted:

I think it looks great too

I think it looks great too

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I have no problem with laurel, but I really have to laugh at the people that bitched when Fender started using Pao Ferro instead of Rosewood, when for years before Pao Ferro was a special thing and only used on the SRV and custom shop models.

What I can't stand are maple necks with a separate maple fretboard. The Taiwanese makers started doing that in the 80s on real garbage guitars where the fretboards would come loose and that's all I can think of when I see it on a new Squier. Hope they're using better glue.

And one week later and not a single regret on this KGD Tele from Amazon

I've seen a few different branded relic Teles now, all around the same $200-230 price. The Firefly ones sold out quickly, and were "normal" sunburst and white. Amazon has white and purple "Censtar" branded ones, but the bodies are really rough looking, and the weights are near 10 pounds. The KGD is also in sunburst and yellow, but that green called to me, and the weight is around 8 pounds.

Now I kinda want to get the KGD relic Strat, and they have a green one that shows sunburst underneath, which really calls out to me.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And it's nothing a little wipe-on stain couldn't fix but it's weird that fender/gibson aren't doing that for you, they have to know it doesn't look right

servco pacific capital and kkr don't give a poo poo if the color of the fretboard clashes with the paint

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

MJP posted:

Even a lovely guitar at $100 generates extra costs that last through your next guitar. Yeah, there's beginner packs that come all in one, but you can expect bottom of the barrel stuff inside that box. You're way better off cobbling together used as much as possible.

Someone mentioned Monoprice - people do say good things about them, and you can get basically the same guitar (click on the sunburst color) for literally $66 shipped with the coupon code BIG25. At least there it's got some kind of return policy. Monoprice cables are like $10 for a right-angle 1/4" cable. Get the amp locally and you've really cut your spend down.

I was budgeting ~$250 for the guitar itself but this is really tempting. Thanks for flagging. Looks like I just missed the coupon though.

duodenum posted:

I have 2 monoprice guitars and they are both pretty good for the price but only after a set-up. That's probably true for most sub-$250 guitars. poo poo, if you live in the Houston area I would give you one (or both) of them.

What does setup entail, beyond tuning?

(Also lol I'm heading to Houston in a couple weeks for a conference.)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

T Zero posted:

I was budgeting ~$250 for the guitar itself but this is really tempting. Thanks for flagging. Looks like I just missed the coupon though.

Intonating the guitar (making sure an E low on the neck is as in-tune as an E high on the neck), setting the action/addressing fret buzz, filing and or shimming the nut if required and adjusting pickup height.

edit: VVV duuuh I forgot truss rod

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 6, 2024

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

T Zero posted:

Setup entails adjusting the truss rod for neck relief and the height of the bridge for action. There's factory specs that dictate how a setup should go with default strings. If it works for you, awesome - it may not need anything. As you learn more, and as you get used to the act of playing the guitar, you might realize that things need to change. I say don't start out doing a setup, but have the tools available for when the time comes, and don't make it your goal for a practice session to set it up. Intonation got covered above, but that's part of it as well.

Neck relief = how much the headstock bows up or down. Long story short: the headstock should bow upwards enough to stop the strings from buzzing against the first couple of frets, but not so high that you have to press down a lot to get a clean note. You'll do this with an Allen key/hex wrench, usually included with the guitar. A little goes a long way - it gets adjusted maybe a quarter of a turn before you re-tune and see how it feels.

Action = how much the strings have to travel before they touch a fret enough to get clean tone. You'll do this with either a flat head screwdriver or smaller Allen key/hex wrench. The specifics vary, but in Strat style guitars, you'll be able to adjust the height of each string individually. From what I know of Gibson style guitars, the whole bridge can go up and down or at angles, but no individual height adjustment.

There's a relationship between neck relief, action, and intonation - as one changes, the others can possibly also change. There are guides and videos galore that explain this better than I can, but a good setup should make it very easy to fret with just enough pressure without buzzing. If you learn how to do it yourself, you'll be able to not only get the feel that works best for you, but save tons of $. Any guitar shop that does a setup will probably just do it based on factory specs, then hand it off to you. They might tweak it if you don't like it, but you won't know if you like it or not until you play it for a little while.

Acoustic guitar setups require sanding a saddle - AFAIK there is no such thing as an acoustic guitar with adjustable action.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

T Zero posted:

(funny how Apple's "portrait" algorithm backgrounded a couple of the tuners)

Here's the (pre-Indio) Monoprice Strat. It plays very nicely, and would be excellent for a beginner. All the electronics still work after sitting under dust for at least a year, I will clean it up. Needs new strings and a fret polish. Under the new tension (different strings than before), it might need a truss rod tweak. I will do all that because I think it's fun.

I have a very thin gig bag this came with, so if you're flying back from Houston, you might ask someone who has flown with guitars to see what to do to make sure it doesn't get snapped in half.

edit: I also have a good little practice amp that will go with it.

PM me and we can establish a time/place. 👍

duodenum fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 6, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thinking about possibly changing pickups at some point in the future.

Anyone have experience/thoughts on:

Fender Pure Vintage 59s

Fender Original 57/62s

Fender Pure Vintage 65s

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The main thing with Strat pickups from my experience:

1) The bridge DCR should be almost double the neck DCR for the volume between pickups to sound balanced.

2) Older Strats are wound to sound a bit brighter. Anything from the 50s will typically be under 6kOhm DCR. If you want a mellower vibe, like John Mayer, get a slightly hotter 6-7kOhm in the middle and neck.

Optionally: I put a mini humbucker in the bridge that sits at 12-13kOhm and then split it back down to Stratocaster 6kOhm if need be.

Put even more simply: Chimey? 50s. Greasy? 60s.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Even more confusingly their 65 set is “5.9” and their Fat 50s set (stock on American Strats) are 6.2+.

Anyhow my personal preference is the Fat 50s for a purely singly coil set.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

MrMojok posted:

Thinking about possibly changing pickups at some point in the future.

Anyone have experience/thoughts on:

Fender Pure Vintage 59s

Fender Original 57/62s

Fender Pure Vintage 65s

you can get the exact same pickups for a quarter of the price:

https://bootstrappickups.com/collections/s-style/products/bootstrapt-54-vintage-pro-set-for-strat%C2%AE-flat-poles

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not what you asked for but strongly consider fender noiseless if you like to play with fuzz

They sound drat near the same and no hum to fight.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thank all for the recommendations!

Also, I just wanted to say this is a really cool and good thing to do:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the hum is a type of fuzz

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I use the hum from my telecaster to bias fuzz pedals

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My current pickups are also single coil.

And actually I put it on a stand in the bedroom, plugged in, and use the single coil hum as white noise to sleep.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the wild hissing and spitting from my chinese dog ear p90 is a warning to stay away!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i prefer my guitars with single coils to the ones with humpbuckers, but sometimes its nice to hear something different

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I know noiseless are not true single coils (they're some sort of stacked magic) but I'd be damned if anyone can tell me they honestly hear a difference between the two and the convenience of not having to deal with hum or interference makes whatever supposed difference not worth the second thought to me

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Would a Boss Katana be a worthwhile upgrade from the mid-2000s solid state Fender Princeton I’m using?

Edit: one of these https://reverb.com/p/fender-princet...m_content=45490

Toebone fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 7, 2024

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I want to get the hummiest pickups I can find, sample the hum by itself and pitch it to like 5 octaves, and then control it with a midi guitar setup. Just only hum sounds for a whole song from my guitar parts.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
my strandberg tele's input jack came loose, and i took the control plate off the back of it. here's what it looks like on the inside.

didn't know there was copper shielding in there!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rio posted:

I want to get the hummiest pickups I can find, sample the hum by itself and pitch it to like 5 octaves, and then control it with a midi guitar setup. Just only hum sounds for a whole song from my guitar parts.

that's just a wave synthesizer and they do rule

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Toebone posted:

Would a Boss Katana be a worthwhile upgrade from the mid-2000s solid state Fender Princeton I’m using?

Edit: one of these https://reverb.com/p/fender-princet...m_content=45490

Almost certainly.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Helianthus Annuus posted:

my strandberg tele's input jack came loose, and i took the control plate off the back of it. here's what it looks like on the inside.

didn't know there was copper shielding in there!

it's kinda useless in there :ssh:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Picking up a nice used Peavey 212 in about an hour, maybe next year I'll grab a tube amp to replace this solid state I'm using currently. Next restring I'm replacing these worn out tuners, maybe the bridge as well if I can find a good deal on that too. My hand dexterity is getting much better this month, the practice is going well and the little shop in town has openings for classes so hopefully I can slide in this coming month.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Buschmaki posted:

A strat should have a whammy bar.

my strat is the best strat and has no such thing

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
stratocasturd

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I've finally realized that I do not like strats

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
sounds like picky eater stuff to me

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah I don't exactly hate mine but I really hate strat trems, strat pickups, and the sound of a strat that isn't plugged in. My tele is smaller and like 3 pounds lighter, and feels better to play.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I don't care much for strat trems, but for some reason right now I'm debating picking up a Reverend Jetstream 390. I don't know what it is about the wilkinson tremolo but I hate it far less than I do most strat style trems.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Weird BIAS posted:

I don't care much for strat trems, but for some reason right now I'm debating picking up a Reverend Jetstream 390. I don't know what it is about the wilkinson tremolo but I hate it far less than I do most strat style trems.

Do it, I love my reverend. It's got an incredible neck and ergonomics

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
yeah I have to keep playing a strat for a while for my soft fleshy bits that seem to be strat bridge specific to toughen up but then it's fine

I've been playing mostly my fresher lp and my eart pointy guitar lately but that's just because they are in arms reach from bed at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't mind the bridge or the pointy bits, for me it's the inherent instability with having a trem combined with there being a huge void in the wood there and the strings not just transferring energy right into the body. I'll take a string through hardtail or even a top loader any day over basically any trem.

I like the controls (at least on my g&l with the master volume, master treble cut, master bass cut), I like where the pickups are, and I love the way these cheap rails sound in there, and if it was a few pounds lighter I'd love the basic feel, but there's just enough that bothers me that I'll only pick it up for a specific sound when plugged in.

edit seriously look at the size difference here.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 7, 2024