Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Node posted:

If you're a Dunmer, how do the Dunmer on Vvardenfell know you're an outlander, anyway? Do you have a [NEW PLAYER] tag floating above you?

Have you heard what cyrodiil and Skyrim dunmer sound like? I'd imagine others also have varying accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Whorelord posted:

I imagine it's like if someone who's a 3rd generation immigrant went back to the country their ancestors were from. How they work it out if you're clad head to toe in bonemold I don't know.

As someone who was in the native position like that before you just need to hear a few words. Sometimes one or two is enough.

There's also stuff like style of clothing, hair and the way you walk, but then that would be hidden under the armour I guess.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

They can tell by the way you use your walk: https://youtu.be/J_SI3w6S0BI?si=ufRQ-kLIJPCWNA0d

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This comes up in the Outlander conversation topic IIRC, yeah it's subtleties of dress, speech, and other stuff. Probably like how Germans finger count "one" with the thumb.

In TR, I found a ten gp blessing from a Bard that gives Mana Regen, dunno how I feel about that, it's not mechanically consistent with the base game; way too powerful. I thought it might only last a few seconds but nah, now I'm a WoW character and can blast my way through an entire dungeon with no difficulty.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

They can tell by the way you use your walk: https://youtu.be/J_SI3w6S0BI?si=ufRQ-kLIJPCWNA0d

Is there a more uniquely iconic sound in the game than walking, soundtrack side? It sounds exactly like what that splay-hipped walk should sound like - and how else could you walk to that sound? Perfection.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Whorelord posted:

How much voice acting you depends on what kind of RPG you're in. Morrowind is fine with mostly text, but lets not pretend that games like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines or Cyberpunk 2077 would be better if they were all text based.

A cyberpunk or vtm demake that put them in the morrowind engine would be sick

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My personal preference, and I think you see it in Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder Kingmaker, is when there's enough voice acting that you can develop a real sense for the characters voice, but the bulk of their dialogue is unvoiced. I don't need every line voiced, but voicing the initial introduction and then an odd line or two lets me "hear" the characters even when it's text only, it's remarkable how well it works.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Whorelord posted:

How much voice acting you depends on what kind of RPG you're in. Morrowind is fine with mostly text, but lets not pretend that games like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines or Cyberpunk 2077 would be better if they were all text based.

It would look a bit different but you could easily make a worthy successor to VtM:B unvoiced or semi voiced like Pathfinder.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

voice acting is completely lost on me because i read quickly and skip all their lines. only voicing greetings and non-dialogue idles is confirmed the best compromise

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Idk how i feel about the "npcs flee at low health" mod i have going.
It's "realistic". I get to hear rare voice lines. It's kinda neat, getting npcs to low enough health to "break" them and win the fight. And it's very annoying

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Are there any good mods for House Hlaalu and Redoran? Seems like Telvanni gets all the lov. Also from me, I pick them every time, but this time I'm thinking of going Hlaalu or Redoran.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
realism mod is annoying, who could have foreseen lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

a7m2 posted:

Are there any good mods for House Hlaalu and Redoran? Seems like Telvanni gets all the lov. Also from me, I pick them every time, but this time I'm thinking of going Hlaalu or Redoran.

I used a mod to improve the Hlaalu stronghold last time I played as them. I'm not positive, but i think it was this one. https://www.moddb.com/mods/grandmaster-of-hlaalu Looks like it adds some other stuff too that I didn't get to. I just remember the egg mine quest.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jack B Nimble posted:

My personal preference, and I think you see it in Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder Kingmaker, is when there's enough voice acting that you can develop a real sense for the characters voice, but the bulk of their dialogue is unvoiced. I don't need every line voiced, but voicing the initial introduction and then an odd line or two lets me "hear" the characters even when it's text only, it's remarkable how well it works.

I kind of have to apply the Commander Shepard exception though, because while I normally agree with you Shepard is so loving good that I'm willing to allow it.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?

a7m2 posted:

I'd definitely like to hear for Redoran as well. They're usually the only house I play (although I did do Telvanni some once a yonk's age ago) and I think their position as the "honorable, closest to decent" house means folks don't find them as interesting as the Telvanni or even Hlaalu. The only big one was Pax Redoran and, well, that was LGNPC if I recall correctly soooooo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never done a Redoran playthrough but I thought the dirty secret to all the houses was that they're all super corrupt and evil (well, not so secret for the Telvanni since they're open slavers).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are the Tevlanni corrupt? I thought their internal government stuff was working exactly as intended.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i think each of the houses are open slavers?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zereth posted:

Are the Tevlanni corrupt? I thought their internal government stuff was working exactly as intended.

They're all stabbing each other in the back, but that is explicitly allowed in their bylaws.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jay Rust posted:

i think each of the houses are open slavers?

I'm not sure about Redoran, but I was under the impression that Hlaalu was for slavery because it was profitable. And also for abolition because that's also profitable.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

a7m2 posted:

It would look a bit different but you could easily make a worthy successor to VtM:B unvoiced or semi voiced like Pathfinder.

Disagree completely. So much of what I love about that game was built around the voice acting.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm not sure about Redoran, but I was under the impression that Hlaalu was for slavery because it was profitable. And also for abolition because that's also profitable.

Hlaalu are pretty much entirely for slavery. The only one who really seems to oppose it is Ilmeni Dren and she lives in a slum and would've been murdered by now if her Dad wasn't Duke. The Redoran seem to use slaves rarely if at all, but oppose abolition due to being beholden to tradition. That said, one of House Redoran's quests does involve inciting a large slave revolt in a joint Imperial/Hlaalu mine.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 7, 2024

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It doesn't really make sense for Redoran to be anti-slavery imo when their whole thing is basically "luv me family, luv me nation, luv me traditions, don't like it there's the boat". It would have been interesting to have more Hlaalu opposed to it as a way to curry more favour with the Empire, but I suppose Orvas Dren would be a bit upset about that

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Molag Mar is a redoran stronghold with an open slave market. None of the houses are anti slavery, because slavery is legal and whoever doesn't have them is just gonna get stomped by the others.

Is there a decent Twin Lamps abolitionist quest mod?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It doesn't really make sense for Redoran to be anti-slavery imo when their whole thing is basically "luv me family, luv me nation, luv me traditions, don't like it there's the boat". It would have been interesting to have more Hlaalu opposed to it as a way to curry more favour with the Empire, but I suppose Orvas Dren would be a bit upset about that

They're not anti-slavery but they're also big into the Temple's virtues of hard work and duty, while also having less agricultural land than any of the other houses, so it makes sense that there's less slaves among the Redoran than anyone else. I also think how it is in game is far more interesting with abolitionism being a fringe view within the Hlaalu that while they're buddying up to the Imperials, they're still as much of a slave society as anyone else in Morrowind, as that also points out the complete hypocrisy of the Empire.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Remember too that the Empire's "opposition" to slavery is largely religious through St. Alessia, so opposition to abolitionism is tied up with opposition to colonial missionaries imposing the Imperial Cult on the indigenous Dunmer.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Disagree completely. So much of what I love about that game was built around the voice acting.

Lol. Standing up and clapping WHAT A PERFORMANCE. Not a fan of the gameplay.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Whorelord posted:

In some ways it's a product of the times, though. Like, yes, the voice acting was very good, I'm not trying to diminish that, but I can't recall very many (any?) fully voiced RPGs that had come out before it. It just can't have that same impact ever again; the last 20 years of AAA have made me about as numb as I can be to fully voiced dialogue.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
House Hlallu has the softest stance on abolitionism publicly, but in truth is by far the largest user of slaves on the entire island, and the house whose economy is the most dependent upon it.

House Redoran’s economy isn’t based around slave labor in any relevant capacity and as such they have very little slavery actually practiced in their territory. This means that the issue simply isn’t relevant to most Redoran and it rarely comes up. This doesn’t mean that they have any problems with it or wouldn’t oppose abolition on sectarian grounds, merely that they just don’t think about it.

House Telvanni of course believes it’s their god given right to do anything they goddamn well please, and would die before they let some self-righteous n’wah tell them that they can’t own people as property. Despite this ideology, they still don’t use slaves in the numbers the Hlallu do or are completely dependent on them economically. It’s a little harder to make generalizations though since the house is so decentralized, with a couple of the lords even freeing their slaves or expressly using freeborn labor, next to one’s who use them as target practice.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

They're all stabbing each other in the back, but that is explicitly allowed in their bylaws.

Exactly. That's not a corruption of the process, it's how Telvanni politics are supposed to work.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Well, I guess "good" is maybe not the best term since it's all extremely relative and tied to complicated colonial politics. House Redoran at least FEELS less committed to stabbing each other in the back with the exception of the head dude, though, and I guess that's sort of appealing to someone like me. They've also got that underdog feel somehow since if I recall correctly they're losing territory and they're like the one group that actually dedicates itself to defending Morrowind properly, but I'm not the best read on the lore. And I THINK their questline has the least amount of "go gently caress up this completely innocent individual for my personal benefit" but again, I might be wrong.

(It is funny that Skyrim decided they're sort of the winners of the House wars by default of not getting loving annihilated either due to their support of slavery or of the Empire.)

Hlaalu is still the one house I haven't been able to progress through 'cause I'm bad at being a sneaky rear end in a top hat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

indoril thinks slavery is a law of nature

dres appear to be the Ur-Slavers but also have a whole thing about "guys please stop fighting (and buy our slaves)" with regards to the other great houses

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I'm very interested in how TR will handle the Dres; they are the only house to not appear in any capacity in the game, after all. Tear's whole thing is those huge open air slave pits, seems like it's going to be a miserable place to write about, but lots of opportunities to engage with slavery ideologically and also how they relate to Black Marsh being right next door, especially since the plan iirc is for the TR devs to tackle the Marsh next when all of Morrowind is done.

Not a lot of works engage with slavery beyond it being an Ultimate Evil (because it is that), but it was a part of almost every society going back thousands of years and it took a bunch of different forms that people had very different feelings about. Dres do mostly chattel agricultural slavery to harvest saltrice I think, so it'll be pretty nasty.

I'm also curious of seeing more Indoril stuff, as I don't think Tribunal got into them a ton (admittedly it's been a while) and the bits of them in TR already are interesting; religion is another thing rarely engaged with with nuance in games. I don't recall, is the plan to expand the main quest stuff eventually to include becoming hortator of all five houses? I assume that'll be done near to when the whole province is done if it's done at all, though.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

a7m2 posted:

For Hlaalu there's stuff like Hlaalu Business, which adds more quests. I remember enjoying them. The mod apparently needs cleaning, but it never gave me issues.

There's also Roleplay Options, which lets you attain quest objectives via different dialogue paths and faction synergies. It's not too fundamental, though.

House Hlaalu Redux is part of an ongoing "redux" project that seeks to overhaul the rewards given by the game's quest lines. It doesn't really add any new quests, but could complement one (or all) of the above mods.

Aside from Hlaalu Business, there's not much that adds a ton of content. If you want new content, I highly recommend the new Hlaalu quest chains for Tamriel Rebuilt, which are excellent.

For Redoran...

There's also Redoran Redux lol. It does the same thing as Hlaalu Redux. Other than that, there's a few loose, scattered quest mods on Nexus if you search "Redoran."

To get to the elephant in the room, the obvious choice for a vast, sweeping quest chain for Redoran is LGNPC Pax Redoran. I'll wait for the boos to die down. The LGNPC series adds new dialogue for NPCs. Too much dialogue, honestly. It's not well-looked upon by modern players, and for mostly good reason cause it has some really heinous offerings (Pelagiad and Hla Oad, both of which feature "oh you thought i was a stupid peasant? turns out i'm an edgelord assassin" characters)

However. I like Pax Redoran cause it provides that fantasy of controlling the faction's destiny. There's a lot of quests to do, a few interesting story arcs, and a generous amount of content even after you've risen to the top. I also think it hones in really well on Redoran's general theme of chivalry and hidebound traditionalism.

Using any LGNPC mod comes with the caveat that you'll see a lot of thinly veiled (and extremely dated) pop culture references, spotty grammar in a few places, and, yeah, way too much loving dialogue. It's a mixed bag. But one I have a fondness for. Until Tamriel Rebuilt slowly wheels its way toward Redoran territory, it's my top choice for that faction. Oh, and Pax Redoran conflicts with Redoran Redux, so you can't have both. :shrug:

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 7, 2024

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Krowley posted:

Molag Mar is a redoran stronghold with an open slave market. None of the houses are anti slavery, because slavery is legal and whoever doesn't have them is just gonna get stomped by the others.

Is there a decent Twin Lamps abolitionist quest mod?

Sorry to doublepost but yes, Brother Juniper's Twin Lamps. Recently remastered and still holds up after 15-20 years or however long it's been. :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The LGNPC Redoran instalments (including Ald Ruhn etc) are by far the best ones imo. Still a very mixed bag but there's good stuff in there

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

TR trip update: been kicking around the mephalen vale region for a bit and its probably my favorite region thus far. The level designers did a fantastic job with it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Imperial cult trip report:
I'd never done the imperial cult quests before, soooo i'm guessing they were designed by a different team than every other quest in the game?

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Jay Rust posted:

Imperial cult trip report:
I'd never done the imperial cult quests before, soooo i'm guessing they were designed by a different team than every other quest in the game?

It was written by Ken Rolston, who also did the main quest. I've never gone through it - my understanding is that it's mostly boring fetch quests with some artifact hunting toward the end. To climb on my TR soap box again, I think the Cult quests for Firewatch are really drat good by comparison, with lots of hunting around for obscure lore and smiting heretics.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The later Imperial Cult quests with relic hunting and cool lore are decent, but still manage to be much better on paper than to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Imperial Cult quests are cool and good :(

So they're not all about chopping people up, play through the almoner and healer quests with a brand new, non combat trained character, they're like MMO newbie quests. Unlike the drat mages guild, the Imperial Cult will actually give you a mortar and pestle and teach you how to make a healing potion.

The shrine Sargent quests become plenty combative, but yes a lot of their work is just much less glamorous humanitarian tasks. I love it, I'm glad the church quests are actually about helping people.

Edit: personally I cast mark inside a Mage's guild, and my loop is to teleport to the vivec guildhall, then divine intervention to the chapel, then recall back.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 7, 2024