Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
a lot of words (and you can tell where the first and second draft were with the brief foray into adding a hyphen to antisemitism) to say that she didn't want to resign but she has to because she wont shut the gently caress up about israel as the bodies of children pile up in gaza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
gently caress her and gently caress the ndp

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hadji murad posted:

gently caress her and gently caress the ndp

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Big payday for one of our Michaels https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-michael-spavor-reaches-multimillion-dollar-settlement-with-ottawa-for/

quote:

The federal government has reached a multimillion-dollar settlement with Michael Spavor to compensate him for the nearly three years he was incarcerated under harsh conditions in a Chinese prison.

The mediated settlement came after Mr. Spavor threatened to sue Ottawa and fellow prisoner Michael Kovrig, alleging he was arrested by China because of information that he unwittingly shared with Mr. Kovrig. That information, he alleged, was later passed on, unbeknownst to Mr. Spavor, to the Canadian government and its Five Eyes intelligence partners in the course of Mr. Kovrig’s duties as a diplomat with Global Affairs Canada’s Global Security Reporting Program (GSRP).

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hilarious. Glad the government settled for millions of dollars, would be embarrassing if they went to court and China learned they were spies after all.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Was she the "I don't understand why people care about the brutal, savage Palastinian subhumans, they weren't even properly using the land when we arrived" woman?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Randalor posted:

Was she the "I don't understand why people care about the brutal, savage Palastinian subhumans, they weren't even properly using the land when we arrived" woman?

quote:

Near the end of the discussion, Robinson and others were asked to respond to a question centred around the adoption of the definition of anti-Semitism as laid out by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance.

“There has been a fair amount of implementation, but it is not enough. If the adoption had been adopted consistently, uniformly and implemented effectively then we wouldn’t have the problems we are having today,” says the speaker, a member of the IHRA delegation for Canada.

“The question becomes how do we get more adoption of the definition? How do we get better implementation of the definition, particularly in universities where it is a big problem?”

Robinson was the last panelists to answer, and responded first by stating that adopting the definition is one thing, but actioning it is also important, which she said can be done through education.

“We know that it is 18-to-34-year-olds that have no idea about the Holocaust, they don’t even think that it happened. They don’t even understand that Israel was offered to the Jews who were misplaced, displaced, so they have no connection to how it started.

“They don’t understand that it was a crappy piece of land with nothing on it – you know, there were several hundred thousand people but other than that, it didn’t produce an economy. It couldn’t grow things it didn’t have anything on it, and that it was the folks that were displaced that came and had been living there for generations and together they worked hard and they had their own battles.”

Robinson goes on to say that while “many don’t know that history,” specifically younger adults, there are people in her community who remember when Israel was formed.

“Eighteen to 34 [year-olds] only know Israel as a very powerful country and they don’t understand the history.”

She finishes her statement by drawing a comparison to two Indigenous groups fighting over land in B.C.

“Would we weigh in as regular people? The answer is no. It’s between these Indigenous nations.”

it is a very racist statement

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

“They don’t understand that it was a crappy piece of land with nothing on it – you know, there were several hundred thousand people but other than that, it didn’t produce an economy. It couldn’t grow things it didn’t have anything on it, and that it was the folks that were displaced that came and had been living there for generations and together they worked hard and they had their own battles.”

Okay, I was thinking the right person, just the wrong "vile poo poo a politician has said about Palestine/Palestinians". Still an absolutely vile person.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Agree with Johnny Silverhand

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I had no idea there even was a Jewish community in BC. Is she a transplant?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol it's very funny that they are tiptoeing around some notable events in Toronto history almost exactly 100 years ago between the Jewish and Italian communities.

I think you may be misremembering this one. The Christie Pitts riot was a bunch of Anglo-Canadians from the Swastika Club fighting a bunch of Jews and Italians. The Italians and Jews were on the same baseball team.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

a primate posted:

I think you may be misremembering this one. The Christie Pitts riot was a bunch of Anglo-Canadians from the Swastika Club fighting a bunch of Jews and Italians. The Italians and Jews were on the same baseball team.

drat it! I thought I had a slam dunk with Toronto history there.

The Swastika Club, jfc Ontario…

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I watched a docudrama about the Christy Pits race war years ago.

The guy who played Red's nephew on the Red Green show played the head of the Ontario fascist party - that was a trip, seeing him talk about Jews needing to be exterminated etc

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
If women don't find you handsome, they can at least find you violently purging the untermenschen!

That's the current NDP party slogan, right?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I dunno much about Robinson (good riddance) but Vancouver definitely has an old Jewish community. Oppenheimer Park on the east side. I think Oakridge is the only neighborhood where they still have notable presence, maybe Kerrisdale?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

i can't imagine why there wouldn't be one most places, tbh

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Things are going great for government-subsidized privately-owned housing in B.C.

https://www.timescolonist.com/local...qualify-8402830 posted:

Discount-price condos were to be sold only to first-time buyers; 13 sued for buying when they didn't qualify

Civil suits filed by B.C. Housing allege 13 of the units at Vivid at the Yates on Johnson Street went to people who already owned property, or who rented out their units instead of living in them.

Roxanne Egan-Elliott

--

The 20-storey Vivid at the Yates condo tower on Johnson Street in Victoria was built as part of a pilot project to give middle-income earners an opportunity to buy homes at below-market rates. The province provided a $52.9-million loan to Chard Developments to develop the project. DARREN STONE, TIMES COLONIST

--

One of the purchasers of a unit in a downtown building subsidized for first-time homebuyers already owned six single-family homes in the Victoria area worth more than $7 million, says a civil suit filed by B.C. Housing.

It’s one of several lawsuits filed by B.C. Housing against 13 people who bought condos in Vivid at the Yates at 845 Johnson St.

The 20-storey tower was built as part of a pilot project for B.C.’s affordable home-ownership program to give middle-income residents an opportunity to buy homes at below-market rates, the lawsuits say.

The province provided a low-interest $52.9-million loan to Chard Developments to finance construction, which allowed the developer to pass savings on to buyers.

Units were subsidized by B.C. Housing and sold to purchasers for an average of 12 per cent below market rates.

The program required that buyers have a household income of under $150,000 per year, not own property anywhere in the world, and live in the unit as a primary residence for at least two years.

When construction of the building finished in 2021, David Eby, then attorney general and minister responsible for housing, touted the project as an example of government working with the private sector to create affordable housing for people who might not otherwise be able to own a home.

But civil suits filed by B.C. Housing allege 13 of the building’s 135 units went to people who already owned property, sometimes multiple homes, or who rented out their units instead of living in them.

In the lawsuits, B.C. Housing calls the conduct of buyers who applied for and bought a subsidized condo, never lived in it, and refused to return the unit to B.C. Housing for the price paid “egregious and reprehensible.”

Those being sued include a retiree, a scientist, a server, an insurance broker and a real estate agent who earned tens of thousands of dollars in commission on units that are now part of B.C. Housing’s lawsuits. They paid between $300,840 and $479,320 for their units.

One of the owners facing a lawsuit co-owns a $1.7-million home in Nanaimo that appears to be operated as a small hotel. Another told B.C. Housing they use their unit when they visit Victoria for work “as staying in a hotel can be expensive,” the lawsuit says.

Another owner listed their unit in September 2022 for $122,640 more than they paid for it after B.C. Housing served them with a lawsuit. The listing said “a quick close was needed,” court documents say.

B.C. Housing is suing real estate agent Janet Yu, claiming she “realized significant personal profit” by acting as an agent for multiple purchasers in the building. Yu also bought a unit, the suit says, despite owning or co-owning properties worth more than $2.8 million.

Yu earned more than $52,000 in commissions on 12 units, including her own, the lawsuit says. It accuses her of giving clients incorrect advice regarding their obligations under the affordable home-ownership program, saying nearly everyone she represented also failed to comply with eligibility requirements.

B.C. Housing is seeking the return of commissions Yu received and the return of her unit’s title in exchange for the price she paid, as well as all rental income earned from the condo and damages.

In a response to the civil claim, Yu said she purchased the unit at fair market value and did not personally profit by acting as realtor. She said the unit has been her primary residence since she purchased it.

Yu said English is not her first language and her understanding of it is limited. She was never provided any evidence that the condo she bought had a greater market value, she said in her response.

Yu said by phone Tuesday she won’t be commenting while the case is before the courts.

B.C. Housing is seeking the return of titles for the units in question in exchange for the original price paid, plus rental income earned and punitive damages.

Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon said in an interview Tuesday that it was the responsibility of the developer to vet buyers for units in Vivid at the Yates. The province first became aware of concerns that some owners were not living in the units in 2021 through an audit by B.C. Housing, he said.

The province started reviewing every purchaser to confirm their incomes and whether they were living in the units, he said. It raised those concerns with Chard, which hired an independent third party to monitor compliance, he said.

Some owners had declared only a portion of their income and were hiding other income in real estate corporations, or did not declare all incomes in the household, Kahlon said.

Five owners identified through a review as skirting the rules returned their units when asked, he said. Those who refused face legal proceedings.

Vivid was the only project in the pilot and the affordable home-ownership program has been “completely reformed” with a different structure and more stringent rules, Kahlon said.

Initially brought in under a B.C. Liberal government, the program had few rules when it was launched, he said.

The province now partners mostly with not-for-profits and requires two years’ worth of tax records from buyers, he said. Buyers must have lived in B.C. for at least 12 months before purchasing under the program.

Under the revamped affordable home-ownership program, B.C. Housing takes out a second mortgage assigned to eligible buyers of 10 per cent or more of the purchase price, which lowers the monthly mortgage payments for buyers.

Kahlon said it’s infuriating to see people abusing a program that’s intended to support first-time buyers.

“In this case, it was clear we had a bunch of investors who decided to take an opportunity to make money at the expense of people who are desperately trying to get into the home-ownership space,” Kahlon said.

Byron Chard, president and CEO of Chard Developments, said in an emailed statement the company would not be commenting because the issue is before the courts.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
you see, the problem with housing is that those damned indian college kids who live 12 to an apartment and have stopped moving here after word got out that canada sucks poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
on the subject of perverse incentives in housing, check out these shitlords

quote:

Elliot writes, "The gist of the Guardian Angels service is that they assign a 'property protector' who will inhabit your property free of charge," which saves the owner from paying vacant property taxes and allows owners to access their home within 24 hours if required.

Guardian Angels Property advertises that homeowners are first subject to a property assessment before a contract is signed, and then the company hand-picks a person to occupy the unit. Next, the homeowner provides 31 days notice and the property is handed over.

The service also promises that its "property protectors" are prevented from "acquiring any tenancy rights" in homes they inhabit.
blogTO reached out to the company, and a representative confirmed that the business model is based on these so-called property protectors — who lack tenant rights — paying Guardian Angels Property to stay in these units.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Hubbert posted:

Things are going great for government-subsidized privately-owned housing in B.C.

Stupid liberal governments desperate, desperate, to find the One Weird Trick to making housing affordable that doesn't involve them having to actually do anything or risk making their landlord donators/fellow politicians slightly less happy and constantly being surprised when their latest scheme doesn't work out

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

infernal machines posted:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Stupid liberal governments desperate, desperate, to find the One Weird Trick to making housing affordable that doesn't involve them having to actually do anything or risk making their landlord donators/fellow politicians slightly less happy and constantly being surprised when their latest scheme doesn't work out

lol yeah it's kinda absurd that the government's recourse in a situation like this is to sue the people in civil court. it's like Justin Trudeau kneeling with BLM protestors. You're the government! You can just do things!

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

vyelkin posted:

lol yeah it's kinda absurd that the government's recourse in a situation like this is to sue the people in civil court. it's like Justin Trudeau kneeling with BLM protestors. You're the government! You can just do things!

They really feel like all sorts of demons would be loosed upon the earth if they did something one time, because there's no difference between using state power to build houses and liquidating political enemies.

Liberals got all of their beliefs about power and the state from Harry Potter.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

vyelkin posted:

They are doing things. Selling everything that isn't nailed down for personal profit and destroying society at your expense. Vote lol

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

so they hire the unhoused and pay them to live there while also grifting landlords?

right?

right?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what's your second guess?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does Canada have some form of "Squatter's Rights" laws in place? Because I'd laugh if that "Guardian Angels" thing is just a hilarious scam to facilitate getting "squatters" into vacant homes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean, both the article and the excerpt i quoted specifically address that, but i guess they could just be completely wrong

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
please do not squat in my Shaughnessy mansion I am but a humble student

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

i mean, both the article and the excerpt i quoted specifically address that, but i guess they could just be completely wrong

I guess my question is more "Does a squatter count as a tenant for tenancy rights," in this case, then.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

you see, the problem with housing is that those damned indian college kids who live 12 to an apartment and have stopped moving here after word got out that canada sucks poo poo

I've noticed the prices on those (totally legal I imagine) Punjabi/Gujarati Preferred Room for Rent ads dropping in contrast to every other rental trend in the city

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat lol it takes 20 years of use to claim squatters rights in NS. 40 if you're claiming crown land

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Breaking news, old white guys jumping at a chance to try and earn clout off of a dipshit self-immolating.
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1765784451936575721?t=23CehBSYr8Om6jbnn0M70w&s=19

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

I dunno much about Robinson (good riddance) but Vancouver definitely has an old Jewish community. Oppenheimer Park on the east side. I think Oakridge is the only neighborhood where they still have notable presence, maybe Kerrisdale?

First synagogue in Vancouver dates back to the early 1900s in Strathcona, where the neighbourhood at the time was largely working class Eastern European, (there remains a Russian Church, and United Ukrainians Hall) before shifting more Italian, and Black and Japanese then Chinese.

https://www.heritagesitefinder.ca/location/700-e-pender-st-vancouver-bc

quote:

In 1892, the first meeting of the Jewish community in Vancouver took place in the Knight of Pythias hall upstairs in the Dunn Miller Block (today’s Army and Navy Store at 8-36 W Cordova) .They continued to meet there until 1912 when four houses on Heatley Avenue were purchased for $14000 and became the site for a synagogue that could accommodate 200 people.

Built in 1917 as the first permanent synagogue in Vancouver, the Schara Tzedeck, Sons of Israel, expanded in 1920 with a growing congregation of 600. Its Romanesque Revival style with arches and arched windows is a popular style in Canadian synagogues. The first floor was a meeting hall and the second floor had two classrooms. David Belasoff was the first rabbi in 1911.

When the synagogue moved to Oak Street in 1948, the sanctuary was converted into a gymnasium and it was purchased by sportsman Rufus Gibbs and operated as the Vancouver Boys Club Association, later Boys and Girls Club. After sitting vacant for some time it was successfully converted into condominiums in 1986-88.

(Like all things in Vancouver, it is now a condo building lol)

Yeah from my impression the community has largely moved to Oakridge.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Breaking news, old white guys jumping at a chance to try and earn clout off of a dipshit self-immolating.
https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1765784451936575721?t=23CehBSYr8Om6jbnn0M70w&s=19

Wouldn’t surprise me if “Liberal” Zionists were the newest recruit of the right. Amy Schumer types with “I believed in BLM, but nobody believed in me (and my desire to have Israel do genocide)”.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Femtosecond posted:

(there remains a Russian Church, and United Ukrainians Hall)

You think these guys fight each other like the Outcasts and the Socs

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Stay gold, Banderaboy

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ARACHTION posted:

Wouldn’t surprise me if “Liberal” Zionists were the newest recruit of the right. Amy Schumer types with “I believed in BLM, but nobody believed in me (and my desire to have Israel do genocide)”.

Good riddance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

An international student went crazy and killed a whole family of 6 up in Ottawa, and now people are calling for the government to do more to get rid of international students (collectively) :canada: