Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jonny 290 posted:

You just made my day.

Is there any way to macro adjusting the framerate cap? I don't need 144 fps idling in limsa and my computer just sits there roasting

Maybe. You might get some success out of /gpresets You can swap around in different graphics presets, but I don't know if those are default or if you can change the settings of each preset, or if fps is even in those settings.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/text_command/43a3cfdb7fb/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Cool. And yeah right now my play is to click over into discord or whatever if i'm stepping away, but id like to easily cap at 72 or 36 when im just like fishing or browsing the MB or whatever. I'll goof with the /gpresets thanks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Maybe. You might get some success out of /gpresets You can swap around in different graphics presets, but I don't know if those are default or if you can change the settings of each preset, or if fps is even in those settings.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/text_command/43a3cfdb7fb/

As far as I know those are the defaults, so if you have anything changed in your graphics settings, /gpresets will clobber them.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Professor Beetus posted:

If you're not opposed to using illegal mods, dalamud has an orchestrion plugin that lets you change the music to whatever you want. It was a lifesaver when I was grinding out mats on my animal crossing island (not really sure if this counts as a spoiler but spoiling just in case, as it's a new gameplay element that wss added in EW)

If you're not opposed to crime tools for the Saucer there's also the MiniCactpot solver as well as Saucy, which has tools to autoplay Cuff a Cur to get the challenge log bonus each week, show the AOEs on Slice is Right so you can cheat through the bamboo only to get annihilated by the shell game portion, and autoplay Triple Triad vs NPCs so you can leave your computer on overnight and grind out hundreds of thousands of MGP by humiliating House Fortemps Manservant at childrens card games.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

If you're not opposed to crime tools for the Saucer there's also the MiniCactpot solver as well as Saucy, which has tools to autoplay Cuff a Cur to get the challenge log bonus each week, show the AOEs on Slice is Right so you can cheat through the bamboo only to get annihilated by the shell game portion, and autoplay Triple Triad vs NPCs so you can leave your computer on overnight and grind out hundreds of thousands of MGP by humiliating House Fortemps Manservant at childrens card games.

Be very wary of anything that plays the game for you, including autoplaying triple triad. That could get noticed by the powers that be. The triple triad solver to just show you the optimal cards/placements for npc matches is cool and good though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

there's also a dalamud plugin "chill frames" that lets you set different fps limits for different types of content that it'll automatically toggle. that and a nvidia control panel fps limit for when the game is non-focused suites my needs

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

You just made my day.

Is there any way to macro adjusting the framerate cap? I don't need 144 fps idling in limsa and my computer just sits there roasting

I ended up using the nvidia control panel outside of the game for this. I set an application fps limit of 60 on the ffxiv app, mainly because im happy with that and would rather limit the amount of heat and noise my machine puts out.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Picayune posted:

Looking at the Kaiyoko Star Reddit is a really good way to make maximum points for minimum effort every Fashion Week. (There is also a Twitter.) It sometimes takes the community a day or two to figure out the most optimum combinations, but once they do, getting 60k points is usually just a question of slopping on five or six cheap dyes or maybe getting a couple of cheap outfit parts.

Oh, by the way on that, reddit does let you follow someone in an RSS feed (I do this for a person or two elewhere who post interesting things every few days)

So you can follow Kaiyoko in your RSS reader of choice with this link.
https://www.reddit.com/user/kaiyoko/submitted/.rss

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ooh i just set up FreshRSS on my new linux machine, thanks for the tip (I knew how to create feeds for subreddits and search queries, but not follow posters themselves)

biceps crimes posted:

I ended up using the nvidia control panel outside of the game for this. I set an application fps limit of 60 on the ffxiv app, mainly because im happy with that and would rather limit the amount of heat and noise my machine puts out.

Oh yeah for sure, i know about this one too, but i want a hotkey/key combo that i can use to switch back and forth between capped and uncapped FPS. Just cause i'm lazy. Maybe I can figure out how to hotkey nvidia control panel's app settings somehow

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Relyssa posted:

Be very wary of anything that plays the game for you, including autoplaying triple triad. That could get noticed by the powers that be. The triple triad solver to just show you the optimal cards/placements for npc matches is cool and good though.

If you do nothing but play the House Fortemps Manservant for hours on end you'll never get caught out because as far as the server is concerned you're just playing the game. Saucy doesn't send information like how some people get kill satted by visiting the Aesthetician with certain fashion mods on and FF14 doesn't have any kind of program that auto detects this kind of nonsense. With that specific NPC you're safe because you're in your own instance.

Of course you can always get bothered by GMs at complete random or a previous infraction of yours can land you in gay baby jail, but at that point if you're AFK and leaving it on overnight the GM will just be pulling someone who is asleep at the wheel and the plugin doesn't make you vibrate weirdly or anything like that :v:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Minigames: There seem like there's basically 2-3 ones with various reskins. They aren't very interesting, and I wouldn't really do them outside the weekly, but at least the weekly has really mild requirements.

Here's something fun about two of them:
In 1.0, gathering was the Finer Miner and Out on a Limb games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFHBCP7oXE&t=86s
The UI looks extremely laggy because UI happened server-side.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Everything possible to happen server side in 1.0 happened server side, UI, positioning, inventory, everything but the base geometry of the zones. It was a nightmare. It's why Yoship was once asked if there were ever going to be 1.0 servers and his response was simply "Nightmare".

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how even the font in 1.0 screamed "grindfest MMO".

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The worst part about 1.0 gathering isn't even the minigame, it was random. You couldn't guarantee after all that futzing around with circles that you'd get what you were looking for. At least with fishing you can use bait and lures to narrow down your choices to a few fish but not with mining and botany, you got out your tools and you took a wild swing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

you were truly out on a limb

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

God, I hate the Gridania jumping puzzle Golden Saucer Gate. Nothing in this game has made me want to throw my controller through the TV like that wretched thing. It's so loving long compared to all the other terrible jumping puzzles, and after all that it ends with a like a dozen jumps over the abyss as a final gently caress you, so you can fall and start completely over instead of having a safety platform to as a restart point.

If I ever get dumped in there again I'm just gonna sit at the start.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

God, I hate the Gridania jumping puzzle Golden Saucer Gate. Nothing in this game has made me want to throw my controller through the TV like that wretched thing. It's so loving long compared to all the other terrible jumping puzzles, and after all that it ends with a like a dozen jumps over the abyss as a final gently caress you, so you can fall and start completely over instead of having a safety platform to as a restart point.

If I ever get dumped in there again I'm just gonna sit at the start.

You can tell that one ahead of time by it being a leap of faith that lands on X:40.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That one only shows up at X:40 so you can skip it ahead of time.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I used to hate them too and would immediately leave if it was Gridania.

Then I actually started doing it for this mogtome event and after a while got quite good at it. I enjoy it now maybe a bit more than the other two, which have some pretty bad terrain meshes for going around corners.

One thing I did not find out after playing this game for a couple years is that you can go to the exit platform to tag the exit and then try for the last gold cactuar or just jump off if you realize you missed a bronze or silver somewhere. That way you lock in the all-important 2000 MGP instead of throwing it All away failing for the gold 500.

The key is knowing the two types of jumps, there is a sort of running long jump and then the small forward hop, which is perfect for the acorns / pine cones.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Duodecimal posted:

The key is knowing the two types of jumps, there is a sort of running long jump and then the small forward hop, which is perfect for the acorns / pine cones.
What helped me get through Sylphstep with less frustration is realizing that not all jumps should be done at the edge of a platform. Like if i'm trying to jump from a pinecone to an acorn, a running long jump from the edge of the pinecone will overshoot the acorn and a small forward hop from the edge might not be enough distance; a running long jump from the middle of the pinecone will hit the acorn perfectly.

My main problem with Sylphstep now is that the course is too long. A clean run of the other two courses lets you finish in around 2 minutes but Sylphstep still takes like 4-5 even if you don't fall off.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I guess I just started Stormblood. Weird because I thought I had. I saw credits for Heavensward and assumed that was it. Took another 3-4 hours of playtime before I saw "Stormblood" appear.

Also: I would have liked to see some people who made my poo poo List get a proper comeuppance. The two most glaring:

First - the guy who killed Harchefant. Really? Not even a quick flash at the end of the battle of me planting my axe in his chest with a "that was for my boy Harche, dick!"

Second, I feel like Ilberd didn't suffer an actual consequences either. He had been preaching the entire time about how he was willing to die to retake Ala Mhigo. So in the end, not only does he (in his own mind at least) become a martyr for the cause, his whole plan was to start a war with the Garleans, and he basically gets that too.

Supes unsatisfying.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I've done sylph in about 2:30 once. Lala ninja, but the run boost isn't the only factor.

Just once though, the others are always shorter, yes.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

la noscea > thanalan > gridania for leap of faith imo

gridania has some actual difficulty to it. not a lot compared to community jump puzzles or that tower but still it's the only one of them to be terribly hard on its own
thanalan is kind of boring tan and brown and also having one structure to climb is neat but means you're crowding together with everyone in the instance and it almost never clears out. the jumps mostly aren't difficult at least
la noscea is open, looks nice, and thins out nice and easy. i can coast to an easy 4k mgp in this one almost every time

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeeah, starting to feel like this just ain't my kind of game. I wish it was, but I'm still getting zero joy out of the MSQ, and I'm not really sure more expansions are gonna fix that. I'm just skimming and skipping way too much dialogue to the point where I'm wondering why I'm playing anymore.

It's the unvoiced dialogue, it's the dated (though often pretty) graphics, it's the sheer number of quests that are often just you getting the runaround from a half a dozen people. All that in service of a very slow burn of a story. If it were more social, maybe these things would be tolerable, but it's basically felt like a single player game aside from a few dungeons.

Anyway, I do appreciate how good and helpful everyone in this thread is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My last suggestion and a big soft spoiler is that there are two points that sell ARR and the rest of the game:

Pushing to level 45-50, or the level 50 MSQ dungeons and bosses, gives you probably the best storyline in ARR in fighting the Empire and a taste of the stuff people endure the MSQ for, the fight design and spectacle that work in tandem with the story payoffs.

After that the ARR post-patch where ARR and every expac ends with a X.0 storyline, so you beat ARR at 2.0 but then do like 50 quests and some more trial fights but it's one last slog until my second point: at the end of ARR post-patch(before HW starts) there is a big story development. It is very good, very entertaining and shows what the game will be capable of at its best.

If you're not at level 40 yet and dying of unfun then this may be a bridge too far.

A suggestion I've got would be to take a long term approach to progress through the tedium. Log on, do 1-2 quests that aren't a cool dungeon/trial/raid, log off. You just might be able to get into the game within a month or two without dying of boredom. I've used this to good effect on things like Dark Souls 3 covenant drops. Hop on, get 1 and hop off, maybe 2 if the first drops really fast.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

One thing I will say re: the game feeling like a single player game is that it is very intentionally designed so that the MSQ can be completed by a solo player with minimal interactions with other players, to the point where now with the addition of Duty Support you can literally play the game from ARR through Endwalker without ever interacting with other players outside of MSQ trials and the Crystal Tower raid series. This does not mean that the game does not have activities where you interact with other players, just that it doesn't make you interact with them if you want. You'll get more as you progress the story, and it sucks that you have limited options in those early hours, but you could always try out stuff like ocean fishing, Palace of the Dead, Golden Saucer GATEs, or treasure hunts if you want to try stuff that'll encourage more interactions with other players.

Unfortunately the real "you need to work with strangers" sickos stuff is hidden away in Eureka and Bozja, and you won't get the first of those until post-Stormblood.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
There's some optional dungeons that open up during ARR I guess, and of course you can try out class questlines for Disciple of War as well as Hand/Land classes, but it feels like after x.0 is when a lot of other content to work on really opens up, especially the later in the game you go.

I hardly ever make MSQ progress because every time I log in I end up getting distracted by doing a million other things. I have a "to-do" list I'd like to get to that's ten miles long. The MSQ does get better at being engaging from a characters and story perspective, but I think it's being able to jump around and work on different things all the time that keeps me playing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Agreed with what Doomykins said. There's some nice story beats 45-50 and just before Heavensward if you're close and wondering what all the fuss people make is about, but the areas before them are big enough slogs to not say "just get through this". The game is also very accommodating of just popping in and doing a few things when you want to as long as you haven't paid for a house to require your monthly sub (though as F2P that's not an issue).

But if those don't sound appealing and you're just not having fun? That's absolutely fine. No matter how much people talk about ARR as a low point, things don't significantly change later. The story gets better, but the story doesn't get different.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

AndrewP posted:

Yeeah, starting to feel like this just ain't my kind of game. I wish it was, but I'm still getting zero joy out of the MSQ, and I'm not really sure more expansions are gonna fix that. I'm just skimming and skipping way too much dialogue to the point where I'm wondering why I'm playing anymore.

It's the unvoiced dialogue, it's the dated (though often pretty) graphics, it's the sheer number of quests that are often just you getting the runaround from a half a dozen people. All that in service of a very slow burn of a story. If it were more social, maybe these things would be tolerable, but it's basically felt like a single player game aside from a few dungeons.

Anyway, I do appreciate how good and helpful everyone in this thread is.

Are you doing all the yellow quests? You might have more fun if you mainline through ARR.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Each expansion gets even more voiced scenes in MSQ, but the actual MSQ quest mechanics don't progress too much. The writing tends to better justify what you're doing but the moment-to-moment MSQ gameplay stays largely the same.

By Shadowbringers essentially every important scene has full voice acting, and the English-version voice direction and how the VAs get their characters dramatically improves starting with 3.0 (along with switching out every 2.0 voice actor). Side stuff, job/class quests, and raids never do get voiced though, other than raid bosses sometimes getting voices for their fights.

Ultimately we're all well aware of the weaknesses in the format of the game overall and particularly ARR, which has those two long sloggy sections in 2.0 and 2.x, and if you can't get along with it, that's understandable.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

Are you doing all the yellow quests? You might have more fun if you mainline through ARR.

Oh I am. It probably isn’t helping that I am just doggedly focused on the MSQ and class quests, but when there are so drat many of them and you need to level up to get your abilities, I didn’t want to waste any more time to get to the better stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the stuff in the quests do genuinely get more interesting but like, most of the game is going to still be walking around talking to people which seems to be what you don't like so, no harm in throwing in the towel rather than hoping you enjoy it more later.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

AndrewP posted:

Oh I am. It probably isn’t helping that I am just doggedly focused on the MSQ and class quests, but when there are so drat many of them and you need to level up to get your abilities, I didn’t want to waste any more time to get to the better stuff.

If you're ok with focusing one class, you don't need to do those and can save them for other classes if you want. You'll level up fine if you want.

But also if you're not feeling it, that's cool too. Its not for everyone even if it does what it does better than basically everything else.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2024/Little_Ladies_Day_Hatching_tide/fnvycqn3ol

Peatie, the goobbue maiden

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yay, I always enjoy flying on a Wobblearms.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, I want that eggshell hat.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think it is in the cash shop but I can't be positive.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I want that eggshell hat.

The good news is you can get it.

The bad news is it's $3 in the online store https://store.finalfantasyxiv.com/ffxivstore/en-us/product/69

CBU3 rarely or never re-runs event items, so event stuff from previous years goes into the online store starting the next year. Those hats are from early in the life, the wiki says Hatching-tide 2011 which was 1.0, and it did actually re-run in 2.0 during the 2014 Hatching-tide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I think putting previous event rewards in the cash shop is a good compromise for players who got into the game later while letting the devs continue to make new event rewards. Imagine how disappointed you'd be if you had to repeat events.