Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

In positive patch news I have taken the 380mm to some d8 bot missions and it kills bases now. If you get a good throw and put it roughly in the middle it can kill a heavy outpost/sensor tower/whatever without trouble. Kinda wish they had made it shoot twice as fast instead of twice as long though since it will take a while to finish so go grab a coffee and do two main objectives while you wait. Still far better than it was previously and not a disappointing meme option anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

• There is a GIANT message in the middle of your screen that it's starting.
  • There is a GIGANTIC spotlight that shrinks on where the meteor will land.
  • You can easily walk out of it before it can land if it's aimed at you.

If there's anything goons are bad at in this game, it seems to be "walking away"

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
On a mission last night, the meteors killed me once, but they also killed 2 small bug outposts, so I guess we are even, meteors.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
On some planets the meteors have a fall rate of maybe 5-8 seconds from what I saw last night

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

Everyone needs to log out of that subreddit, devs included. What a dumpster fire

Yup. It's absolutely rancid and I can't even imagine what the Discord looks like

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
The visibility of the meteor warning lights really depends on the lighting of the planet, I found on Fenrir at night I had heaps of time to get out of the way but it was almost impossible to see during the day.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can see two at the top of the screen at the timestamp that take about 10 seconds before they land.

The volcano eruptions I couldn't see any warning signs in that video.

Those either literally don't show up on my settings or are functionally invisible in bright areas. You'll notice you can only see those in dark areas in that video

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I hate the fat acid spewing bugs and the other acid spewing bugs that are black.

Both have killed me more times than anything. I move away thinking I’m clear and then
:barf:

energy shield helps a ton with those guys and autocannon will completely shred them

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The autocannon is really fun to shoot and feels impactful until you shoot almost anywhere on a charger, including their rear end, and nothing really happens. You get feedback from shooting their asses but I'm either really bad at telling when they're dead or I'm misreading the feedback because it feels like it takes almost a full reload of direct hits on their rear to kill them- which I think is not right. Maybe I'm just not shooting the exact right spot. I'm guessing I am since I do see people killing them with what I'd consider respectable speed with just AOE damage in the right spots.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

If there's anything goons are bad at, it seems to be "walking away"

FTFY

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

explosivo posted:

Guess I'm blind or a big dumb baby (or both) but this isn't as clear as you are making it out to be. Also if the spotlights are blue then that explains why I was not able to see anything on the planet with a whiteish blueish surface until I died from it.
different colored planets is one thing, but they are bright rear end spotlights anywhere like that video

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Fabricated posted:

The autocannon is really fun to shoot and feels impactful until you shoot almost anywhere on a charger, including their rear end, and nothing really happens. You get feedback from shooting their asses but I'm either really bad at telling when they're dead or I'm misreading the feedback because it feels like it takes almost a full reload of direct hits on their rear to kill them- which I think is not right. Maybe I'm just not shooting the exact right spot. I'm guessing I am since I do see people killing them with what I'd consider respectable speed with just AOE damage in the right spots.

Try behind the rear legs with the autocannon

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Autocannons should be doing full damage to charger butts, yeah. I have never used one to fight a charger though so I don't know how effective they might be or what tricks are involved, but other players don't seem to take too long to kill them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fabricated posted:

for chargers flip the AC to full auto and unload into their rear end until they are dead after you dodge them. it shoots fast enough it does not matter if you are getting unlucky with some of them.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Dive, so you have an angle up into their rear end rather than straight on. There's armor on top of the rear end that will cause your AC shot to bounce off. Usually takes 3 good shots to blow out an rear end.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
They probably should have waited to make the weapon adjustments and dropped them alongside the new primaries + mechs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ps--hQiSXA

I'm definitely not gonna give a gently caress about the changes once I get to play with all this stuff.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

haldolium posted:

I was thinking the same as the UI implicates that, but it appears to have been quite different

I read that the issue was that previously, all enemy attacks had penetration values based on a percentage, and that percentage was 100% (so everyone had an effective Armor Rating of 0). Assuming that was the case, the 'fix' might mean that enemy attacks have variable penetration values based on static numbers now.

I did see a video where someone compared Infiltrator armor vs. Fatman armor against a basic bug (so 50 Armor Rating vs. 200 Armor Rating), and for having 4x as much Armor Rating the Fatman armor only took about 2x as many hits. This suggests a few things, such as basic bugs having 100 Armor Rating penetration on their attacks (could be tested by comparing 50 Armor Rating vs. 100 Armor Rating in the same scenario).

Also, everyone takes at least double damage to the head. Moreover, since we all have the same head armor rating values (there is no variance to that based on armor) it's likely that most attacks are perfectly penetrating the 100 Armor Rating that helmets have. The video demonstrated this by showing that Infiltrator Armor and Fatman Armor died to the same number of hits to the head.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it's really annoying when you get matched with people who want to be elite high speed low drag operators who run away from literally everything while not knowing when it's a good idea to run away from things. especially robots, who can shoot at you while you're running

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I trudged around in heavy armor last night and it didn't really seem to make an appreciable difference with regards to survivability but definitely made it a lot shittier to sprint across the map to get to extraction. The shield backpack still seems really nice to have but not sure if I'll be rocking the heavy armor. Someone mentioned that they should add heavy armor with flame resist or something and that would be very cool.

Honestly all of the nerf talk is completely overblown, I used the same Breaker/Railgun/Shield combo last night to see how viable it is now and the breaker changes are fine and barely noticeable, railgun still works well if you overcharge in unsafe mode, and the shield backpack still kicks rear end for preventing you from taking small damage all the time or getting burned or goo'd on.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Darox posted:

In positive patch news I have taken the 380mm to some d8 bot missions and it kills bases now. If you get a good throw and put it roughly in the middle it can kill a heavy outpost/sensor tower/whatever without trouble. Kinda wish they had made it shoot twice as fast instead of twice as long though since it will take a while to finish so go grab a coffee and do two main objectives while you wait. Still far better than it was previously and not a disappointing meme option anymore.

I unironically loved the 380mm barrage before the buff because you could do just that - throw it in a base and go off and do something else while you let it do its work. It really suited a hit-and-run playstyle against bots (especially on Malevelon Creek, aka Bot Vietnam where you get the be the guerilla fighter and drop unholy amounts of firepower on them before disappearing into the trees to flank them against with more unholy hellfire). Tightening the radius + firing more shots just means that killing bases now is that much more of a sure thing (heavy bases were a coinflip, medium bases were usually destroyed, but it was extreme overkill on a light base).

turn off the TV posted:

it's really annoying when you get matched with people who want to be elite high speed low drag operators who run away from literally everything while not knowing when it's a good idea to run away from things. especially robots, who can shoot at you while you're running

It does depend on the map and scenario. It is a ton of fun to be high-speed/low-drag operators against bots on Malevelon Creek because there are ample treelines for you to fade back into and break their line of sight/block their shots. Any other planet with wide-open fields and you really need to be taking EMP/Smoke in order to cover your retreat.

Bots are bad in a different way when it comes to prolonged engagements - the major threat usually doesn't come from the Hulks (whereas for bugs a big threat does come from their equivalent, the Charger), it comes from the mid-tier Devastators, especially the Rocket Devastator and Heavy Devastator. Prolonged engagements means that those bad boys start coming in droves, and then you get the poo poo cherry on top of that sundae in the form of Tanks and their ability to handily one-shot you at extreme range.

Edit:

explosivo posted:

Honestly all of the nerf talk is completely overblown, I used the same Breaker/Railgun/Shield combo last night to see how viable it is now and the breaker changes are fine and barely noticeable, railgun still works well if you overcharge in unsafe mode, and the shield backpack still kicks rear end for preventing you from taking small damage all the time or getting burned or goo'd on.

I agree - Nerf talk is extremely overblown. The recharge on the shield was way too fast considering what it offered you over other backpack options, especially the Jet Pack and its comparatively glacial recharge time. It's still a great pick especially against bugs to negate their ability to slow you in melee, but it's no longer able to bail you out of as many silly situations in rapid succession as it used to.

Breaker was brought to be more in line with the rest of the weapons in terms of balancing benefits and drawbacks. An auto-shotty chambered for a standard shotgun round/load should kick like a mule when you use it in full-auto, whereas before the recoil was negligible and you could sweep it across entire formations. Its ammo economy was a little too good compared to all of the other options, so that needed to be balanced against other things like the Punisher which now has a larger magazine and higher damage, but comes at the cost of being pump-action and reloading one round at a time.

Breaker S&P is no longer a joke option, which I think is getting criminally overlooked because oh no, nerfs!

Railgun was also just too good of a tool at handling practically everything the game threw at you, even in safe mode. The only thing it didn't handle well were Tanks. Now you've got to take a bit more risk to get the reward, and it's no longer the first-order-optimal pick for dealing with everything. In turn, that creates more space for other Support weapon options to shine.

The benefit of starting with these nerfs though is that these weapons were so good that they were probably hideously overrepresented in the data and all other options/choices just weren't getting enough data to do fair performance assessments. Nerfing these choices out of their dominant positions is helping to encourage more loadout diversity, more data points for other weapons/stratagems, and will likely result in more buffs down the line than nerfs. Apparently Discord/Reddit finds this medicine a bit too bitter even when they candy-coated it with cool buffs.

Also, I thought it was funny that someone posted a meme where L50 Skull Admirals are losing their poo poo over the nerfs more than anyone. If anything, I've seen more Skull Admirals taking extremely weird lemon loadouts and turning them into really funky/cool lemonade than I've seen Skull Admirals being metaslaves.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 7, 2024

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I don't think I got my 45 medals for the last major order? To hold those two planets?

Is there something I have to do to claim them?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I don't think I got my 45 medals for the last major order? To hold those two planets?

Me neither

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Diephoon posted:

They probably should have waited to make the weapon adjustments and dropped them alongside the new primaries + mechs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ps--hQiSXA

I'm definitely not gonna give a gently caress about the changes once I get to play with all this stuff.

Are we sure mechs are dropping with the new primaries? There's no mention in the trailer.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So I've been reading helldivers.io and learning about supply lines and all this other poo poo. I thought this game was just a simple bug shooter. poo poo, this is a bit more deeper than I thought!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My main takeaway from the meta campaign is that the Europeans just need to hold the line until Americans can get back to it. The Europeans rarely do this.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I have a good gaming group and we're working our way up through the difficulties. It's been a great time so far. I'm thinking of trying solo stuff too just for fun, but I've been having trouble. When solo do you go for a full (or mostly full) map clear? Or is it get, in grab a few samples and smaller objectives, and get out?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you're going for sample, you should probably go for every objective. If you're going for medals, you should only hit objectives on the way to the primary objectives. If you're going for req/xp, it's a wash.

If you're going for fun, only you can answer this question.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Apparently their servers are overloaded (again) so they'll be rewarded later.

edit: For clarification, it's not the actual game/matchmaking server but whatever hands out those rewards that's not working right now. And no you don't need to claim them, you'll get them automatically.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 7, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The update pace on this game is mostly making me upset at Fatshark and how they handled Darktide, dropped their game a month before they went on a 3 month vacation with a bunch of "coming soon!™" signs ingame on a lot of features and forgetting to turn "oops all dogs" mode off, then didn't really do a whole lot else besides a few maps and weapon variations until the big class overhaul a year after release making the game feel like it finished open beta.

December was the last major update on Darktide and they have yet to patch in anything besides bugfixes for the things that broke in the december patch.

Darktide is still really fun, but so much wasted potential and I wonder how release would of gone if they waited until after their vacation around the feb release dates that always seems to have something viral pop off these days as people are looking for the next big thing to waste time on during the winter lulls.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

jokes posted:

If you're going for sample, you should probably go for every objective. If you're going for medals, you should only hit objectives on the way to the primary objectives. If you're going for req/xp, it's a wash.

If you're going for fun, only you can answer this question.

I guess mostly for samples. Screwing around and killing bugs is its own reward, but I want those sweet, sweet upgrades.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Exodee posted:

Apparently their servers are overloaded (again) so they'll be rewarded later.

edit: For clarification, it's not the actual game/matchmaking server but whatever hands out those rewards that's not working right now. And no you don't need to claim them, you'll get them automatically.

does this also apply to the daily orders? I killed a bile titan and also didnt get credit

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

my sweet Sickle, i knew you would come back to me

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope its better than Scythe

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

does this also apply to the daily orders? I killed a bile titan and also didnt get credit
You need two bile titan kills, and you should get a popup once you get back to your ship congratulating you. (IIRC the major order also has the popup?)

Check your options menu, it'll tell you about your daily progress in the bottom right. If there's nothing there and you haven't gotten any medals then yeah it's borked but you should still be getting them later on. Maybe try relogging?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

in HD 1 it was much better since it fired far more damaging individual beams. it would quickly kill low level trash mobs and could do serious damage to mid tier enemies. the issue with the laser cannon and scythe has always been needing time on target to do meaningful damage, and that got way more exacerbated in a FPS/TPS where there is much more that can pull you off target. being able to snap off shots while moving that actually kill troopers and the ankle biter bugs with no ammo use would be awesome.

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

magiccarpet posted:

Everyone needs to log out of that subreddit, devs included. What a dumpster fire

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

It was very much so in HD1, hoping they don't gently caress it up.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Yeah, there's servers are kind of functional right now but still not working the way they want. We still don't have a real time updates on bullets and helldivers and all of that stuff reporting back either.

It's probably a good idea to think of everything as still in triage.

That said I am all the way on board for the Blitzer and Sickle. I also really want to know what the punisher plasma is, and can it close bug holes?

I hope the current warbond is indicative of future ones, in that it costs 1000 but you get back 300 inside the warbond itself

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The Sickle was so much loving fun in HD1, just deleted everything. You needed a sniper type dude against the Protoss but man was it good against bugs and bots.

I would like to call in a 500kg on the Reddit and Discord, danger close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The reddit is so full of pantshitting that it took a while for the new warbond trailer to climb up and they haven't even pinned the mission re; Exosuits.