Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Wow so apparently they let Renny Harlin direct not one, but three new Strangers movies back to back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZUQmZdOi4

Well guess I'll check these out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpajfhoA4aw

Looks alright if fairly generic. Done by the writers of the latest Musketeers movies, will probably follow the same spirit and be pretty action-y (they called the Count a proto-superhero, which isn't exactly wrong but lol).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Carthag Tuek posted:

sure, but its like my uncle, he took second place in the zealandic greco-roman wrestling championship for his weight class in 1952. it sounds pretty good dont it?

he also directed long kiss goodnight

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I really like this trailer for this old Sinatra film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZZSfGdXIf8

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67vbA5ZJdKQ

Post-post-apocalypse Wall-E?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Looks interesting, but I was hoping for a dialogue-less ambient exploration (which was too much to ask for I know). Feels like the messaging will be a bit trope-y. But I'll watch it and cry at the end like I always do now (I swear since becoming a parent I cry at the ending of like every movie).

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Oh wow, animated films are allowed to look good again? Thanks Spider-verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3dXc6P3zH8

Looks like something that's been done before to hell but acting looks good so I'm down.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiminewt posted:

Oh wow, animated films are allowed to look good again? Thanks Spider-verse.

yeah but now they're all just copying that same "illustrated" look. It looks good for sure, but already seems like "a thing" I'm going to get tired of soon

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Oh my godddd I had no idea this was even in development. The books are fantastic, mostly the first one. My fiance read them to my daughter and they were hooked on them. A lot of our favorite scenes from the first book are in the trailer. It is heavy-handed, but it's a book aimed at grade school kids.

It's not post-post-apocalypse Wall-E, it's near-future peri-apocalypse caused by climate change Wall-E.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This looks interesting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiminewt posted:

Looks like something that's been done before to hell but acting looks good so I'm down.

Oh yeah this looks great

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

LifeLynx posted:

Oh my godddd I had no idea this was even in development. The books are fantastic, mostly the first one. My fiance read them to my daughter and they were hooked on them. A lot of our favorite scenes from the first book are in the trailer. It is heavy-handed, but it's a book aimed at grade school kids.

It's not post-post-apocalypse Wall-E, it's near-future peri-apocalypse caused by climate change Wall-E.

Oh the books look great. Just ordered the set to read to my kids, thanks for the heads up!

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

BonoMan posted:

yeah but now they're all just copying that same "illustrated" look. It looks good for sure, but already seems like "a thing" I'm going to get tired of soon

I don't think this is copying Spider-verse. It looks quite different. Inspired, maybe, but not a carbon copy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiminewt posted:

I don't think this is copying Spider-verse. It looks quite different. Inspired, maybe, but not a carbon copy.

Not spider verse. That's untouchable. But Mitchell's vs the Machines, new TMNT .. it's not over saturated yet but it's clear they're following a trend.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah the trend is “rendering the 3d model with novelty shaders,” video games started doing it to counter the diminishing returns of realistic graphical rendering back in 2003. its the cinematographic equivalent of a photoshop filter. it’s frankly stunning that it’s taken this long for 3D animation movie studios to catch on

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrk7HKDeZR8

Looks dope.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiminewt posted:

It's probably just that actor but this gives me big Sound of Metal vibes, and that's a very good thing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Thankfully no AI art title cards this time. Hopefully they were just in the first teaser and not in the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg&t=1s

Full trailer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drat that looks… real good???

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

drat that looks… real good???

Agreed, my expectations are now high, and I'm ready to be let down.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I learned recently from Andrew Hickey's essential A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs podcast that The Ink Spots broke up and reformed so many times with so many different configurations and musicians that at a certain point there were 40 groups simultaneously performing under that name.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yeah really surprised by how much I liked this trailer. Goggins is such an epic casting move like goddamn that dude is amazing. I don't know if I'd like this as much without him.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Walton Goggins as a post-apoc ghoul sheriff type makes me want a Timothy Olyphant cameo as a villain so they can flip roles from Justified.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm still not a fan of the ghoul makeup job on goggins but I'm certainly more interested in the show than I was before

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

thrawn527 posted:

Agreed, my expectations are now high, and I'm ready to be let down.

That looks really good. Hitting the right tone is going to be hard, but it looks like they are nailing it. I loved the line about everyone wanting to save the world, but disagreeing on how. The only thing missing is that trailer really should have ended with some Ron Perlman.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

whydirt posted:

Walton Goggins as a post-apoc ghoul sheriff type makes me want a Timothy Olyphant cameo as a villain so they can flip roles from Justified.

How about Olyphant in a cameo as a feral ghoul.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wizchine posted:

How about Olyphant in a cameo as a feral ghoul.

Might as well pair him with Drew Barrymore then as well.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Of course they did the trailer music rejiggering of the Ink Spots song. But I'm not mad about it. Works fine

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It definitely looks like the Fallout 4 movie and not the Fallout 1, 2 or New Vegas movie I'd hope for, but... I'm a sucker for Goggins

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1765530107802767779

Resident Evil 4 The Movie But Not That Movie

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I was wondering about that too and it turns out the manga this is based off predates Resident Evil 4 by about a decade.

That said it still doesn't look very good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Give me a parasite eve movie (or HD remaster of the game)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The parasyte Manga and anime are good.

Idk about the first couple of live action parasyte movies.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
That Parasyte movie looks fun. I don't give a poo poo about the quality of CGI; I lived through stop-motion, poor rotoscoping, and some janky-rear end practical effects back in the day.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Give me a parasite eve movie (or HD remaster of the game)

There was one in 1997.

It's an adaptation of the novel that the game is a sequel to, and when I was living in Yokohama as a kid, there'd be TV spots for it all the goddamned time.

I have no idea how successful the film was, but based on the fact that it was only available on VHS and DVD (both of which are out of print - obviously with the VHS) and has yet to see the light of day on HD, UHD or apparently any sort of streaming service, I guess it didn't do particularly well.

The guy who directed it went on to do a whole bunch of J-horrors including the lovely Ju-on sequels that were released in the mid-2010s (not the one that crosses over with the Ringu movies, but the two that came directly before), and has done TV work since.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 7, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEjhY15eCx0

The first one was great. This looks like more of the same, so hopefully it'll be good too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Parasyte anime was really good. Looking forward to this. Train to Busan was loving great, so that's a plus.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Apparently this is an original story (hence "The Grey") so it'll probably be bad...

It also just looks really silly. Although maybe they're going for that B-movie vibe? The original series was rather serious and a bit dour, not whatever that trailer showed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

Boy, the 2000s were not kind to this guy were they? A bunch of his 90s movies were a lot of fun, but crikey, his career tanked hard.

Kind of? He's been getting really steady work ever since the early 90s, with a stint in China. I think the rumor was that he sticks to the budget and the schedule really well, which for some studios is what makes a director they want to keep.