Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Cached Money posted:

What is your opinion of Maharani brand 1121 Basmati rice, OP?

I’ve never bought it. Is it the stuff made by Chaman Lal Setia or something?

https://www.maharanirice.co.in/

I’ve had their unbranded rice before, and didn’t have quality issues; I never tried their branded stuff. That’s all I’ll say about that company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Everett False posted:

We bought some short grain brown rice and tried soaking it before cooking based on the advice of this thread. Absolute game changer. The difference between this and unsoaked long grain brown rice is like night and day. My life is now better for having clicked on a forum thread about rice.

Even the texture is better, right? It’s like softer but still the rice stays separate. It’s one of my favourite ways to make brown rice more palatable. The other thing is that I use it in dishes where its unique texture works as an asset and not as a liability. One of those places is when you have those recipes for veggie burgers. White rice disappears. Brown rice adds its own unique texture, and is very nice in there. (I generally don’t care for veggie burgers that taste like meat. I want them to be bang full of beans and other tasty things, and taste like their own cool little thing.)

Another place is when you have a dish with hearty beans in, like kidney beans or black beans. The split hulled pulses like red lentils or moong daal I will want white rice. But like a raajma or a black bean soup or something, give me the brown rice to stand up to those hearty beans. Ditto that for a chili that has TVP. The bouncy texture of the veggie meat is really nice with the texture of brown rice. It can stand up to those big bold textures. For the wimpy little daals and curries where everything is soft, I want the rice to kind of disappear, and to be able to eat large amounts without stopping. For the stuff that I’m hitting up to be hearty and filling, reach for the brown rice.

Re: ghost

It’s been that long!? Wtf.

https://pmpress.org/index.php?l=product_detail&p=139

Also here’s the YouTube channel where I made a couple of videos to entertain my nephew during the pandemic:

https://m.youtube.com/c/dinosarma

He likes cooking and he likes me explaining things.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

dino. posted:

I’ve had their unbranded rice before, and didn’t have quality issues; I never tried their branded stuff. That’s all I’ll say about that company.

No idea but it's good poo poo imo, long rear end grains and like zero defects.

Edit: yeah it's that brand on the website, the blue bag.

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 1, 2024

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Cached Money posted:

No idea but it's good poo poo imo, long rear end grains and like zero defects.

Edit: yeah it's that brand on the website, the blue bag.

1121 is the longest grains in the world, and is the sort that's bought by those people for whom the length is the most important. They're going to be super vigorous about removing brokens and damaged/discoloured and other such issues. It's their premium product, and fetches a pretty hefty price in the market. I've never had an issue with the quality control of the company who produces that stuff.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you gotta tell us which are the poo poo brands of rice, then

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

1121 is the longest grains in the world, and is the sort that's bought by those people for whom the length is the most important. They're going to be super vigorous about removing brokens and damaged/discoloured and other such issues. It's their premium product, and fetches a pretty hefty price in the market. I've never had an issue with the quality control of the company who produces that stuff.

dino. posted:

I think this is dino.’s subtle way of saying that this company is run by assholes.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

therattle posted:

I think this is dino.’s subtle way of saying that this company is run by assholes.

lol

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

There are so many brands out there, with so many varying degrees of quality that it's nigh impossible to have eaten them all. In general I'll avoid any rice that comes in a bag where I can't look at the physical rice, and assess the quality of it. Not because the stuff in jute bags or cloth bags or non woven bags is bad quality, but mainly because if I can't look at the rice and know what I'm getting, I end up being disappointed when I get it home. OK, so here's what I'm looking for:

- Long, slender grains, about 7.3 mm or longer.
- No visible broken grains
- Grains are all of a uniform colour
- Colour is off-white to light beige. Bright white Basmati has not been aged for very long, and I want the aged stuff.
- No yellow, red, black, or streaky grains.
- No paddy/unhulled grains
- No visible chalky grains.
- The word "Traditional" Basmati listed on the label. 1121 is fine. It's not that it's bad. However, the taste of 1121 isn't as good, because it's got a really short crop cycle. I personally prefer the aroma and taste of Traditional Basmati rice. It's a much longer growing cycle, and is much more of a pain in the butt to produce. However, that extra effort shows up in the taste of the final product.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so you basically don't eat east-asian-style short-grain?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Of course I do! That was the stuff I look for in Basmati in particular.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know if dino does or does not eat east asian style short grain rice, but if you follow the post you are responding to back, you will see that it is in response to a question about basmati rice originally.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I don't know if dino does or does not eat east asian style short grain rice, but if you follow the post you are responding to back, you will see that it is in response to a question about basmati rice originally.

fair cop, guvnor

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

I didn't say that! I will allow everyone to come to that conclusion on their own.

Their sales guy who visited me in NJ was loving reeking of cologne. Like, he took a bath in it. I had to sit really far from him, and I could still taste it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i don’t have a ton to add except that im blown away by how much there is to know about rice.

i buy costco’s thai hom mali jasmine rice and i really like it. any idea where this lands on the quality scale?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i don’t have a ton to add except that im blown away by how much there is to know about rice.

i buy costco’s thai hom mali jasmine rice and i really like it. any idea where this lands on the quality scale?

post a picture of it on a piece of printer paper for white balance!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

So, I got a rice question.

When I cook basmati rice (the only kind I really eat), it always starts to foam and ends up spitting starchy water through the hole in the lid. I tried rinsing and soaking, even tried adding a dab of butter ontop thinking a layer of fat would keep it down. But it's still a mess unless I go and lift the lid to make the foam collapse.

What am I doing wrong and how can I stop it from foaming?

Also, read through the entire thread and it is super interesting. Thank you for making and maintaining the thread!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

How LONG should I wash my rice for? I use a 2 container system to do this (identical bowls but one has a sieve bottom; that one goes into the non-sieve one so the water doesn’t just leak out while I rinse, then I lift the sieved one out and let drain and then toss the water and start again). I’ll rinse the rice maybe 8 times (while swishing the rice against the bottom & sides of the bowl in a circular motion) and although the water becomes less cloudy, it doesn’t become truly clear. he;lp

Also the best rice I ever ate was at a small restaurant in Tokyo a friend took me to - he said “This place is known for their great rice. They work with specific rice farmers to get it.” I figured it would be good but I was loving amazed at just HOW good it was.

Edit: this is the bowl I use along with a matching one without the bottom drain holes

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 4, 2024

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Dunno-Lars posted:

When I cook basmati rice (the only kind I really eat), it always starts to foam and ends up spitting starchy water through the hole in the lid. I tried rinsing and soaking, even tried adding a dab of butter ontop thinking a layer of fat would keep it down. But it's still a mess unless I go and lift the lid to make the foam collapse.

Also, read through the entire thread and it is super interesting. Thank you for making and maintaining the thread!

This happens to me too. for me, I rinse the rice, get the water boiling then drop the rice in. I keep it on high until the rice starts to simmer, then turn it down pretty low. Sometimes, when it starts to sputter, I just lift the lid, let the steam out once then pop the lid back on then often times it won't overflow again.

Maybe you need to slightly reduce the water amount since you've given it a soak or rinse?

Anyway, happens to me too. I figured out where the sweet spot was where it wouldn't foam over and I set it to that on my smallest burner, always. I have gas heat and good cookware so between the two, I have to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Almost everything is interesting when you start to dig down into the details

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CommonShore posted:

post a picture of it on a piece of printer paper for white balance!

This.

But also, if it's Hom Mali, and it's Costco's own brand and not a random brand, chances are very good that it's premium product.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

How LONG should I wash my rice for? I use a 2 container system to do this (identical bowls but one has a sieve bottom; that one goes into the non-sieve one so the water doesn’t just leak out while I rinse, then I lift the sieved one out and let drain and then toss the water and start again). I’ll rinse the rice maybe 8 times (while swishing the rice against the bottom & sides of the bowl in a circular motion) and although the water becomes less cloudy, it doesn’t become truly clear. he;lp

Also the best rice I ever ate was at a small restaurant in Tokyo a friend took me to - he said “This place is known for their great rice. They work with specific rice farmers to get it.” I figured it would be good but I was loving amazed at just HOW good it was.

Edit: this is the bowl I use along with a matching one without the bottom drain holes

OK. So here's my opinion on rice washing.

Most people use bowls that are entirely too small, and not nearly enough water. You want the bowl that you're washing your rice inside of to be a good 10 - 20 times the volume of the rice you're washing. For a typical 4 cup pot, I'll use a 6 qt bowl to wash the rice in. I flood the bowl with lots of waster, swish the rice around a little bit, and then decant off the cloudy water. Then, I repeat like 3 or so more times, and the water is nice and clear by the end of the washing process. Using those cute little gimmicky bowls that are the size of an eating bowl will get your rice clean, but you'll be filling the water into the bowl a million times, and then you're too impatient to rinse the rice off properly. Just use a big gently caress-off bowl, and lots and lots and LOTS of water.

Dunno-Lars posted:

So for Basmati, are you rinsing the rice after the soak? I'll frequently do a quick rinse after the soak to drain off any excess starch sitting around. Never use the soaking liquid. Always discard it. Also, how much cooking liquid are you adding? You should not be using 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice as the bag might be telling you to do. You want almost a 1:1 ratio of water to rice after soaking. Also, you should be bringing the water up to a full rushing boil, then put it on the slowest, gentlest burner to simmer over very very low heat with a tightly fitting lid that doesn't have a hole in it. Or if it's a rice cooker, you should be measuring the dry rice with the measuring cup that came with the cooker, and then add enough water to the line in the cooking pot.

Planet X posted:

This happens to me too. for me, I rinse the rice, get the water boiling then drop the rice in. I keep it on high until the rice starts to simmer, then turn it down pretty low. Sometimes, when it starts to sputter, I just lift the lid, let the steam out once then pop the lid back on then often times it won't overflow again.

Maybe you need to slightly reduce the water amount since you've given it a soak or rinse?

Anyway, happens to me too. I figured out where the sweet spot was where it wouldn't foam over and I set it to that on my smallest burner, always. I have gas heat and good cookware so between the two, I have to make sure it doesn't get too hot.

If you don't mind the extra time it takes to come up to a boil, you could quite easily boil rice in plenty of salted boiling water until it's tender (sort of like pasta). I won't overflow.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A O K- I use large bowls but I'll use much more water and report back. Thanks!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Dunno-Lars posted:

More butter (or another oil/fat). You don’t need like an insane amount but maybe a Tbsp for my regular small rice cooker. A small dab isn’t enough to ruin the surface tension

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you use a bowl that drains at the bottom, wouldn't most of the starch in the water just settle back down on the rice as it drains?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

dino. posted:

So for Basmati, are you rinsing the rice after the soak? I'll frequently do a quick rinse after the soak to drain off any excess starch sitting around. Never use the soaking liquid. Always discard it. Also, how much cooking liquid are you adding? You should not be using 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice as the bag might be telling you to do. You want almost a 1:1 ratio of water to rice after soaking. Also, you should be bringing the water up to a full rushing boil, then put it on the slowest, gentlest burner to simmer over very very low heat with a tightly fitting lid that doesn't have a hole in it. Or if it's a rice cooker, you should be measuring the dry rice with the measuring cup that came with the cooker, and then add enough water to the line in the cooking pot.

Maybe it's the heat then. Using an induction stove, I get it boiling at 9/9, cook it at 4/9 for 15 minutes and then let it sit with the lid on for 5-10 minutes. I rinse while swirling the rice around with my hand, replacing the water several times until clear. Then before cooking I drain the water just by tipping the bowl, dump the rice and whatever water is left into a pot, then add water until it reaches the first join on my finger when I put my finger on the rice. Aka Uncle Roger "JUST USE FINGAH". If I measure, I use 1 part rice, 1.5 parts water.
If I cook it at 3/9 instead, do I add more time?
I'll try another pot with a better lid and report back.

Anne Whateley posted:

More butter (or another oil/fat). You don’t need like an insane amount but maybe a Tbsp for my regular small rice cooker. A small dab isn’t enough to ruin the surface tension

I add anything from a teaspoon to a tablespoon. I don't really measure things when I cook, I just wing it. And that will never change :discourse:

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

THIS BULLSHIT

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Maybe it's the heat then. Using an induction stove, I get it boiling at 9/9, cook it at 4/9 for 15 minutes and then let it sit with the lid on for 5-10 minutes. I rinse while swirling the rice around with my hand, replacing the water several times until clear. Then before cooking I drain the water just by tipping the bowl, dump the rice and whatever water is left into a pot, then add water until it reaches the first join on my finger when I put my finger on the rice. Aka Uncle Roger "JUST USE FINGAH". If I measure, I use 1 part rice, 1.5 parts water.
If I cook it at 3/9 instead, do I add more time?
I'll try another pot with a better lid and report back.

I add anything from a teaspoon to a tablespoon. I don't really measure things when I cook, I just wing it. And that will never change :discourse:

Yeah, measure your rice properly. An internet comedian doesn’t know what the rear end he’s on about. Use the rice cooker measuring cup, and fill water to the exact line. Or, do 1 part dry rice, soak well, drain completely, and then add 1 part water. You’re getting foaming because you’re adding way too much water. This isn’t loving baking where you have some wiggle room. This is rice, damnit. If you’re wanting to play with the big boys, measure your loving rice and water.

And yes, you need to simmer on the lowest heat, and let it roll for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it relax for 10 minutes off heat. If you don’t want to measure your rice, cook it like pasta over highest heat. That process takes like 12 minutes cooking time and then you can be Johnny home maker who measures with his heart or whatever poo poo. Do not do rice by absorption if you can’t be arsed to measure unless you’ve been cooking rice since you were old enough to walk, and can eyeball the measurement because you’ve measured for so long that you know what you’re doing. I’m serious. Properly measure your rice.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My rice measurements are Nutella glass based. One Nutella glass of dry rice is two (large) servings, then after washing it pour away the water not terribly thoroughly from the rice cooker bowl - then add another full Nutella glass of water and you've got the right amount.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I don't really get the point of the finger technique, when just measuring the rice seems so much simpler. I use whatever coffee mug I have at hand

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

For basmati in my rice cooker I usually go 4 parts rice to 5 parts water. Seems to work like it should.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Hey OP! I've got a rice-related work problem for ya.

I'm a chef/food scientist/product developer at a medium-large Canadian food processor. We deal with a lot of cooked grains, dressings + sauces, and salad kits. We were recently contacted by a very large customer to provide samples for a 30+ day shelf life cooked sushi rice for use in poke bowls. It's a super high volume item, and I'm the primary developer on it (and also one of two people in this nationwide company that knows anything about food). We've been struggling pretty hard recently, if we get this business they will build me a fuckin statue. I've been doing a ton of bench work on this, and have figured out a seasoning blend that tastes real good, but can't seem to get the texture right. We've sent initial samples to the customer and they like the flavour, but agree that the grains aren't as separate as they should be. Our next round of samples is due next week, because of course it is, and since my company is a disaster I'm busy putting out fires constantly and can't sit on the bench and devote myself to actually testing things properly.

Right now the recipe is as follows (quantities rounded):
88.5% 'Cooked' Calrose rice (9 min in a screw cooker. I know it's undercooked, the sous-vide process finishes the job)
3.5% Rice Vinegar @ 4% acetic acid
3.5% Sugar
2.5% Inulin Fibre (recommended to me by someone smart, willing to remove)
0.8% Table Salt
0.1% Miola Rice Conditioner (difficult to procure on our insane timeline and would like to cut it if necessary)
0.1% Yeast Extract

Our usual process is as follows:
Cook the rice in a screw cooker for a determined period of time (no wash step, sorry :( )
Drain and chill it to 4C.
Put the random seasonings, veggies etc in and mix
Pack in vacuum bags
Sous vide the exact minimum amount of time to hit our F-value targets

I've tried various permutations of the following things:
-Removing the inulin fibre (actually makes the texture worse!)
-Lowering the cook time (texture becomes bad in a different, crunchy way)
-Increasing the cook time, removing the sous vide step, and packing the product in MAP seal bags (still goopy)
-Using powdered acid to remove some liquid from the final product (still goopy)
-Washing the rice (HUGE pain in the rear end for production, will skyrocket the final cost of the product, might not even be possible for the huge volume of product we'd have to produce, still goopy)
-Using Calrose from different suppliers (still goopy)

The customer already mentioned using thread favorite Koshihikari rice in their gold standard samples. Our procurement team can't get it in sufficient quantities in time for the theoretical product launch, so it's out of the picture. Plus it's way too expensive anyway.

What do? Are there rice varietals/suppliers I should look out for? Is my recipe just hosed? Am I missing a panacea-like ingredient that will fix all of my problems and make me less of a bitter husk of a human being? Should I convince our operations department to blow a bunch of money on specialized equipment that will collect dust the second the customer finds a product that is 1 cent cheaper and delists our product? Should I just burn this place down and go full prepper and forsake modern life and live in the woods except I have a sick PC, internet connection, and tons of games?

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 5, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
did you try fluffing it with a fork

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
how actual sushi places do it is by washing like, 6 times so lol

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

abuse culture. posted:

Hey OP! I've got a rice-related work problem for ya.

I'm a chef/food scientist/product developer at a medium-large Canadian food processor. We deal with a lot of cooked grains, dressings + sauces, and salad kits. We were recently contacted by a very large customer to provide samples for a 30+ day shelf life cooked sushi rice for use in poke bowls. It's a super high volume item, and I'm the primary developer on it (and also one of two people in this nationwide company that knows anything about food). We've been struggling pretty hard recently, if we get this business they will build me a fuckin statue. I've been doing a ton of bench work on this, and have figured out a seasoning blend that tastes real good, but can't seem to get the texture right. We've sent initial samples to the customer and they like the flavour, but agree that the grains aren't as separate as they should be. Our next round of samples is due next week, because of course it is, and since my company is a disaster I'm busy putting out fires constantly and can't sit on the bench and devote myself to actually testing things properly.

Right now the recipe is as follows (quantities rounded):
88.5% 'Cooked' Calrose rice (9 min in a screw cooker. I know it's undercooked, the sous-vide process finishes the job)
3.5% Rice Vinegar @ 4% acetic acid
3.5% Sugar
2.5% Inulin Fibre (recommended to me by someone smart, willing to remove)
0.8% Table Salt
0.1% Miola Rice Conditioner (difficult to procure on our insane timeline and would like to cut it if necessary)
0.1% Yeast Extract

Our usual process is as follows:
Cook the rice in a screw cooker for a determined period of time (no wash step, sorry :( )
Drain and chill it to 4C.
Put the random seasonings, veggies etc in and mix
Pack in vacuum bags
Sous vide the exact minimum amount of time to hit our F-value targets

I've tried various permutations of the following things:
-Removing the inulin fibre (actually makes the texture worse!)
-Lowering the cook time (texture becomes bad in a different, crunchy way)
-Increasing the cook time, removing the sous vide step, and packing the product in MAP seal bags (still goopy)
-Using powdered acid to remove some liquid from the final product (still goopy)
-Washing the rice (HUGE pain in the rear end for production, will skyrocket the final cost of the product, might not even be possible for the huge volume of product we'd have to produce, still goopy)
-Using Calrose from different suppliers (still goopy)

The customer already mentioned using thread favorite Koshihikari rice in their gold standard samples. Our procurement team can't get it in sufficient quantities in time for the theoretical product launch, so it's out of the picture. Plus it's way too expensive anyway.

What do? Are there rice varietals/suppliers I should look out for? Is my recipe just hosed? Am I missing a panacea-like ingredient that will fix all of my problems and make me less of a bitter husk of a human being? Should I convince our operations department to blow a bunch of money on specialized equipment that will collect dust the second the customer finds a product that is 1 cent cheaper and delists our product? Should I just burn this place down and go full prepper and forsake modern life and live in the woods except I have a sick PC, internet connection, and tons of games?

Not the OP, but what is your mixing procedure/equipment like at step 4?

Edit: Also, what pressure are you vac sealing to? Is that negotiable?

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 5, 2024

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
That's a fascinating problem, since I've never had to think about manufacturing on a scale beyond "commercial kitchen".

Have you tried turning it off and on again? The customer, I mean. :gooncamp:

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Not the OP, but what is your mixing procedure/equipment like at step 4?

Edit: Also, what pressure are you vac sealing to? Is that negotiable?

Wage slave takes a paddle to it until it looks mixed. We also have a dedicated mixing device but it's far too destructive to this product. It's moot right now since we're still doing everything by (my soft, supple, chef) hand in the test kitchen. Scaling it up in production will be a huge headache and thankfully not my problem yet.

Vac seal pressure is absolutely negiotiable, we have a minimum setting that we use for rice items like this one to prevent clumping. Regardless, it's still gluey in a modified atmosphere (aka MAP) bag, which doesn't have any vacuum seal or sous vide step.

I'm starting to wonder if the issue here is limited to the test kitchen, since we're cooking it real low tech (in a pot on the stove). In our screw cooker, it will basically take a 95C shower for X amount of time so it may not be sitting in a filthy bath of its own starch. Unfortunately the minimum quantity we can run through the screw cooker is 1000kg. I'm having trouble getting more than 5kg samples since all of our suppliers loving hate us, lol. And it's not like I can stop production from using the thing that makes us the most money to run some crazy experiments anyway.

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 6, 2024

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

abuse culture. posted:

Wage slave takes a paddle to it until it looks mixed. We also have a dedicated mixing device but it's far too destructive to this product. It's moot right now since we're still doing everything by (my soft, supple, chef) hand in the test kitchen. Scaling it up in production will be a huge headache and thankfully not my problem yet.

Vac seal pressure is absolutely negiotiable, we have a minimum setting that we use for rice items like this one to prevent clumping. Regardless, it's still gluey in a modified atmosphere (aka MAP) bag, which doesn't have any vacuum seal or sous vide step.

I'm starting to wonder if the issue here is limited to the test kitchen, since we're cooking it real low tech (in a pot on the stove). In our screw cooker, it will basically take a 95C shower for X amount of time so it may not be sitting in a filthy bath of its own starch. Unfortunately the minimum quantity we can run through the screw cooker is 1000kg. I'm having trouble getting more than 5kg samples since all of our suppliers loving hate us, lol. And it's not like I can stop production from using the thing that makes us the most money to run some crazy experiments anyway.

Sucks about not being able to use the screw cooker. Soak and steam is definitely the number 1 thing I would point to, to start with. Can you get your hands on a smaller steamer setup?

Water ratio, soak and steam times obviously will all have an effect.

The following may or not be scalable. You’ll know far better than I, but these are things that I would do if trying to achieve your goal working on my own, much smaller scale.

Cool, then mix via tumbler, instead of paddle machine. Add seasoned vinegar mixture during tumbling, allow a few minutes to absorb, then add the inulin fiber(hoping that hydrated inulin fiber is not as sticky as something like rice flour. I know what it is, but have no experience actually working with this ingredient.)

Stick with minimum pressure vac.

If you have a slightly too low hydration on the cook, the additional moisture from the seasoned vinegar, plus the sous vide might finish softening, but reduce mush/stickiness.

Hail Mary option: Freeze prior to vac seal to accomplish both drying, and lessen mechanical smushing force during vac process.

Understood about the washing being unscalable, but yeah, that would literally be the first step on small scale.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Probably one of the most basic idiot questions that certainly someone in the thread has asked before, but if you had a pick between Jasmine and Basmati rice, which types of dishes/flavours would you feel was a better fit for one of them than the other?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

Probably one of the most basic idiot questions that certainly someone in the thread has asked before, but if you had a pick between Jasmine and Basmati rice, which types of dishes/flavours would you feel was a better fit for one of them than the other?

Not a rice expert, but I think jasmine is more delicate and lends itself to SE and E Asian flavours, like Thai curries, etc. Basmati is more robust in every way, and more suited to S Asian and Central Asian/Middle Eastern dishes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE: Food manufacturer guy with gloopy rice.

OK. Let's take this slowly.

1. Have you had a lot of experience with cooking sushi rice? Calrose is a perfectly cromulent brand. It can stand up to a fair bit of rear end kicking (metaphorically) before breaking and being a full rear end mess. However, you cannot skip steps with it, or you WILL end up with gloopy rice. The rice MUST been rinsed off thoroughly. This is non-negotiable. The rice MUST be soaked a minimum of 20 minutes, and a maximum of 1 hour. Again, non-negotiable. The rice cannot be cooked in its soaking liquid. That water must be discarded. Fresh water must be used. The rice needs to come up to temp slowly. You must not use too much water when cooking it. Unlike Basmati and other long grain rices, sushi rice doesn't do well with the pasta method, where you cook the rice in a massive pot of water, and drain off the excess liquid. You need to add exact quantities of water to the rice (1 to 1 ratio of dry rice to water), and cook it until mostly cooked, then turn off the heat, and let it finish steaming. Ideally, you'd be using a rice cooker, because sushi rice is one of those finicky rices to do on the pot. Even Japanese people use a rice cooker. Try it the proper way once, so that you know what the texture is that you're aiming for, because right now it sounds like you're throwing a lot of darts at the board, and hoping something hits. Sushi rice isn't like that. Cook it properly, and skip the fancy poo poo like sous vide. Leave that for people who are into that sort of thing. This is rice. You're way way overcomplicating it.

2. I only know of one food manufacturer who uses raw rice for industrial cooking. Everyone else uses parboiled, because it will stand up to the stirring process without losing its integrity. The folk who do use raw rice cook only like 25 lbs of it at a time IF THAT. They usually do much smaller batches. I have no earthly clue how the hell they're a national brand, but there you go. Sushi rice isn't really suited for industrial processes, which is why you don't see a bunch of people doing ready to eat microwaveable pouches or cups of sushi rice at a reasonable cost. (Basically, the rice is cooked, portioned out into smaller packaging, and then sealed under pressure to keep out any germs and whatnot. They have a long shelf life, and come back to life in 90 seconds in the microwave.) Glutinous rice? Sure. Short grain rice? Fine. Long grain rice? Absolutely. Sushi rice? Not so much. It's hella finicky.

3. Are they mistaking stickiness for bad texture? Sushi rice is prized for its stickiness. It's supposed to be sticky. That's kind of the whole thing. Sushi rice isn't really meant to be separate. It's meant to stick together. Parboiled rice? Sure. It'll be fluffy and separate. But asking sushi rice to be fluffy and separate is like asking a loving potato to taste like a ham sandwich. You're going to be disappointed.

4. WTF is inulin fiber doing there? It forms a gel. Have you ever dissolved inulin fibre in water? It becomes slimy. That's gonna make the problem WORSE not better.

5. What is the rice conditioner doing in there?

6. What is the yeast extract doing in there? Sushi rice is salt, sugar, vinegar, rice. That's it. I don't know what the rest of that stuff is doing there. If it's extending the shelf life, that's fine.

Most of all, I don't know how they expect you to do a full rear end research and development on a timeline especially when your company doesn't specialize in making rice. The guys that I buy my IQF (individual quick frozen) rice from are the only ones who do it in their entire region, and they supply to everyone who orders from them. I don't mean in their state. I mean in their entire freaking region. As in, when we checked with other IQF manufacturers in other countries, they were like "Yeah, we do veg, not rice. For rice, you have to call this guy." Rice cooking in huge quantities is hard, and it's extremely easy to waste a ton of product and make a mess.

In my opinion, even if the contract seems lucrative, your customer sounds like a loving idiot, and you're going to waste way way more money on this than you think you are if you're of the opinion that buying the equipment is going to be the last headache you get from these loving clowns. I guarantee you that their QC will reject a good 1/4 of the loads you deliver. They'll come whine at you when their idiot customers burn themselves because they "didn't know" that a product fresh out of the microwave that has steam coming out of it is going to be hot. They'll demand that you produce things in "JIT" (just in time) methods, and then cry and bitch when shipments are late. They're asking you to use KOSHIHIKARI rice for an industrial operation? Are they loving stupid on purpose, or were they just born that way? loving sushi restaurants don't use koshihikari, and they'll cheerfully charge you $100 for a dinner of 3 scraps of fish and a fuckton of rice.

This project is cursed. They're promising you the world, and they're going to be a thorn in your side. Nobody demands short timelines on a product line that the company hasn't done before, unless they're going to be an enormous thorn in your side. Trust me. I've been working with people like that who demand miracles in manufacturing since 2007 when I started at the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

:munch: