Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Cut social programmes you say? Lets cut back on perks and benefits house members receive. Lead by example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Boebert finally shuts the gently caress up. Her private life is a disaster and she’s about to lose the CO-4 primary (her current/home district being CO-3).

MTG is going to go full gorilla mode, though. Especially since Johnson told her not to, that pretty much all but guarantees it.

i could see boebert going out in flames one more time. MTG and probably a couple others will too.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Mudlark posted:

Dude the 90s sucked rear end. We didn't even get Cartoon Network until 95. The gently caress were kids doing before then even?

I poked rocks with sticks in the woods.

My youth might be considered neglectful these days. I was shooed out of the house on Saturday morning to do whatever my 9yo self could find to do. I'd spend the day just bumming around the reservoir, ride my bike a few miles to the mall, go see a movie at the theater. So much independence! As long as I was home around the time the street lights came on, everyone was happy.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mudlark posted:

That Patriot T's place being an old Hot N Now or Laundromat and still having an accessibility ramp is basically the entirety of the modern GOP summed up in a visual metaphor lmfao

what is worse is that they have a contract with the schools to sell specialty shirts for events and local team sports. so we have to go there from time to time to get a special shirt for the kids, it's terrible. in case you're wondering they did have a major school shooting there a few years back, because it's chudland and nothing stops guns.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Preoptopus posted:

Basically some grade school teacher saw the morning cartoons and was shocked at how violent and stupid they were. This was like peak Roccos Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy Era. Also peak Marvel and DC cartoon era. She basically complained to congress and got enough traction to pass laws that would ban thoes shows. Basically her argument was that children's broadcasting should be educational and carry a positive moral message.
That's when good cartoons died but somehow SpongeBob snuck through.

SpongeBob is on Nick, which is a cable network, and so they have no obligation to run educational content.

Basically, there’s a requirement that a set number of hours of programming would be educational or informative (EI) and there might be rules on when you can show them. So now the networks just run sub-Learning Channel fair on Saturday mornings to meet the requirement. Plus, cartoons are expensive.

Basically, the FCC made cartoons go away.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...fa79a3a2e7f89b2

Lmao good ol’ Ronnie Jackson got hit with a post-retirement demotion.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Captain Fargle posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68499543

Look who just got another 300k minimum added to his judgements against him!

(He sued the guy who revealed the piss tape exists. Judge tossed it out and ordered him to pay full costs)

That's British pounds, so it's closer to $400k.
:hmbol:

Frank Frank posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...fa79a3a2e7f89b2

Lmao good ol’ Ronnie Jackson got hit with a post-retirement demotion.

:laffo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want to talk about instead how his neighbor kicked his rear end so thoroughly that Rand Paul needed surgery and had to have part of one of his lungs removed.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

TheKub posted:

I poked rocks with sticks in the woods.

My youth might be considered neglectful these days. I was shooed out of the house on Saturday morning to do whatever my 9yo self could find to do. I'd spend the day just bumming around the reservoir, ride my bike a few miles to the mall, go see a movie at the theater. So much independence! As long as I was home around the time the street lights came on, everyone was happy.

Yeah I did all that stuff too in the 90s and then came home and watched cartoons and played with legos or army men until my sugar and caffeine rushes bombed out. I think us 90s kids win because of this :smug:

LifeSunDeath posted:

what is worse is that they have a contract with the schools to sell specialty shirts for events and local team sports. so we have to go there from time to time to get a special shirt for the kids, it's terrible. in case you're wondering they did have a major school shooting there a few years back, because it's chudland and nothing stops guns.

loving. Christ. America.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Heckerling something like a SOTU is such a 9 year old thing to do.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

My hope is, people who have never wanted to pay attention in the past with politics are getting mad and involved, because the idea in the past was, "lie all you want, as long as you don't gently caress with my livelihood or you make my life better".

It was pretty simple, keep the tax cuts with the middle class, so they can afford to pay the lower class, by taxing the upper class so the government can get the bills paid. Greed and corruption hosed everything up from there, because in a post World War America, the Good Guys won, because the government they trusted lead the US to victory.

Then the Korean War happened.

Then Vietnam.

That's about where Americans started aggressively saying gently caress the government, and based on what I know now about the so-called justifications for Vietnam, I can see why.

I want to see politicians held accountable for lying, and it will take voter's will to make the same kind of profound paradigm shift that made us go from a society that made fun of child pedophilia in the Church and Boy Scouts, and accepted misogyny and ignoring women's rights, rather than loving do something about it.

But it can be done, along with women's reproductive rights. We just have to really want it.

Agreed. And I am here for it, as I sincerely and truly love the idea of America, as an idea. I want to see it succeed, but as the mythology spells it out - Melting Pots! - and not this thing we find ourselves in now. Which is the venal greed of Empire.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Toxic Mental posted:

We have to cut Medicare and social security but god forbid people worth $200 billion are taxed any higher than you or me, or at all

That would just stifle innovation, if they could *only* make $100 billion. They'd simply give up and we'd fall behind commistchyna

The only innovations coming down that pipe all seem to be add more commercials, put this behind a subscription, raise rates, etc.

Jeff freaking Bezos wants me to give him $3 a month to skip commercials on his lovely streaming site while he’s chartering spaceships for photo ops.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tai posted:

Heckerling something like a SOTU is such a 9 year old thing to do.

A guy did it to Obama once, was condemned, and then it just became normal... whenever a Democrat is president.

I don't think it ever stops now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Almost Smart posted:

The only innovations coming down that pipe all seem to be add more commercials, put this behind a subscription, raise rates, etc.

Jeff freaking Bezos wants me to give him $3 a month to skip commercials on his lovely streaming site while he’s chartering spaceships for photo ops.

lol Jeff Bezos is offering healthcare on his little website now. What could wrong?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Nancy did sarcastic applause, therefore anything and everything is allowed because both sides

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Almost Smart posted:

Innovation: Surge pricing at Wendy's.

At this point it's become clear to me that the CEO class has completely lost touch with society and think of money as something that's owed to them. Rich failsons playing musical chairs with massive corporations trying to extract every penny without having to provide any more service/product.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
SotU is an outdated tradition and there isn't much of a reason for anyone to treat it with reverence or decorum. Biden could just broadcast an address from the White House, with total control of the space to deliver a perfectly sanitized and zero-information-content message, and the House can just tune in with the rest of the country to see it if they want. I'd prefer a more UK parliament style system where the speaker is in the pit and is just getting roasted by the representatives the entire time.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Serious_Cyclone posted:

SotU is an outdated tradition and there isn't much of a reason for anyone to treat it with reverence or decorum.

Although he could tweet it out or whatever, giving a SotU fulfills a requirement of the Constitution. Unless you expect an amendment to be made, it's here to stay.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

SotU is an outdated tradition and there isn't much of a reason for anyone to treat it with reverence or decorum. Biden could just broadcast an address from the White House, with total control of the space to deliver a perfectly sanitized and zero-information-content message, and the House can just tune in with the rest of the country to see it if they want. I'd prefer a more UK parliament style system where the speaker is in the pit and is just getting roasted by the representatives the entire time.

It used to be a show of American power, the grace and beauty of Democracy. Of The Republic.

Now, lol....

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nancy tore up domard’s speech lol

HolidayDrunk
Dec 31, 2023

RVWinkle posted:

If anyone is interested in this history should look up Lee Atwater because he's sometimes considered the true origin.

One can make a good case that modern right-wing politics in the USA begins with that dude's very simple idea: Appeal to racism without sounding racist (CW for n-bombs, I don't remember how to embed video links): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8E3ENrKrQ&t=37s

HolidayDrunk fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 7, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nocheez posted:

Although he could tweet it out or whatever, giving a SotU fulfills a requirement of the Constitution. Unless you expect an amendment to be made, it's here to stay.

Jefferson (and pretty much every 19th century President) just sent Congress a letter every year

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Trump-Punk.
Trunk.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

Jefferson (and pretty much every 19th century President) just sent Congress a letter every year

Which was the fastest way to send a message back then. I don't want to go back to a 18th century gov't, we're already far too close to it today.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Nocheez posted:

That's British pounds, so it's closer to $400k.
:hmbol:

:laffo:

300k or 400k, if I already owe over a thousand times that this would barely register lol

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Rand Paul got his poo poo beat so thoroughly and completely by his next door neighbor that he had to have surgery.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So my wife gave me this fresh lol

https://www.salon.com/2024/03/07/dr-john-gartner-the-world-is-watching-a-fundamental-breakdown-in-trumps-ability-to-use-language/

Trump's brain is ACTUALLY deteriorating, like "clear signs of aphasia, beginning of Dementia" deteriorating. Experts are saying he's having clear trouble remembering basic words, pronunciation is all over, Venezuela as "VENALALUZER", dropping phrases and constantly mixing up names.

It would be a sad end if he wasn't one of the worst shitheads ever

They are really going to have their God Emperor of Mankind, in every way.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 7, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Certified Donkey Brains

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Serious_Cyclone posted:

For the SotU Biden should do a 24 hr live stream of him playing SotN

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Apparently his team in private are acknowledging his Piss Brain, they just don't care

Lmao they are going to run what will be a vegetable by Summer

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
so, true to Harry Potter fanfic, Trump is a dementor?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Oscar Wild posted:

For the SotU Biden should do a 24 hr live stream of him playing SotN

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Let's put this generation argument to bed: [Decade I grew up and was young and carefree and the world was ahead of me and seemed less frightening] was objectively the best time period.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

So my wife gave me this fresh lol

https://www.salon.com/2024/03/07/dr-john-gartner-the-world-is-watching-a-fundamental-breakdown-in-trumps-ability-to-use-language/

Trump's brain is ACTUALLY deteriorating, like "clear signs of aphasia, beginning of Dementia" deteriorating. Experts are saying he's having clear trouble remembering basic words, pronunciation is all over, Venezuela as "VENALALUZER", dropping phrases and constantly mixing up names.

It would be a sad end if he wasn't one of the worst shitheads ever

They are really going to have their God Emperor of Mankind, in every way.

Who was that Goon who said he basically melted his own brain by repeating non-stop FYAD style slurs and catchphrases in his head over and over again non-stop until he reckoned he had actual mental deficiencies?

Cause that's all Trump does, and I wish him the continued best in progressing his OBAMNA'S ELECTRON INTERFURANCE storyline

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can only understand politics if you can compare it to the JK Rowling universe.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
The two most popular pieces of legislation ever put forward in America are Medicare and social security It seems absolutely mad to want to cut those

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Infinitum posted:

Who was that Goon who said he basically melted his own brain by repeating non-stop FYAD style slurs and catchphrases in his head over and over again non-stop until he reckoned he had actual mental deficiencies?

You can't post slurs in GBS lol

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

“Born to Ride Donald Trump” and here I was thinking that republicans were anti-gay!

Weird way to advertise you’re into banging the former POTUS though, most people keep who they’re banging to themselves. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

If he's incapacitated and has to be replaced by someone else in the GOP now, his base will NEVER believe it

They will think he has been captured by the DEEP STATE and being help somewhere. At least one chud in a cornfield will bleed out trying to save him

They will never vote for another candidate. They won't believe it's real. He's indoctrinated them too hard to only believe him. They will write him in anyway.

:getin: