Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Jedah posted:

Oh yeah, they'd have to change the game's reward system, too, and that will never happen.

That's a big reason we see a lack of effort/participation and a willingness to improve. The fact that you can zone in, loiter on a Skyscale, tag the boss, do the absolute bare minimum, then rinse and repeat that process and receive Gold/full credit chests, as much as the person doing 30k+ DPS or providing heals/boons to everybody, or the Commander going above and beyond - that is not good.

The fact that a good Commander who steers the squad towards victory, but doesn't receive any bonus credit is such a missed opportunity. I get why they do it, though, they want to incentivize the maximum amount of players and stimulate those happy brain chemicals when you auto-attack Teq and gets lots of chests popping up as rewards for it.

I'm sure there's a business justification where giving maximum credit for inputting minimum effort keeps people playing and logging in, and since this is a casual MMO, that is definitely not going to change. Now I sound jaded, lol

add plat participation to the top 10% of a group events participants and people might try, carrots work better than anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Cereus CM getting 3 difficulties with a title for the current (hardest) version. That's p. cool.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Saraiguma posted:

add plat participation to the top 10% of a group events participants and people might try, carrots work better than anything else

That might work for the random map events but anything more and it'll bring out the worst in the most toxic people.
The reward can also never be more than "huh, neat"

No fucken way I'm gonna farm an event for a chance to be in the reward tier for a chance at a unique item.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I mean, it doesn't have to be something crazy. Maybe something like 3 tiers of participation, with each level guaranteeing a piece of blue/green/yellow gear.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

gandlethorpe posted:

I mean, it doesn't have to be something crazy. Maybe something like 3 tiers of participation, with each level guaranteeing a piece of blue/green/yellow gear.

Let's label them Bronze, Silver, and Gold since those are easy to understand.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

StrixNebulosa posted:

What IS CCing? I've seen the term and asked about it but still don't understand what's being asked of me.

"Crowd control" is a general MMO term for abilities that can disable enemies, so in GW2 anything that pushes/pulls/knocks down enemies. Some enemies are defiant, meaning they have a blue defiance bar (often called a break bar) under their health bar and are immune to such effects—but the effects will instead drain the defiance bar, and if you fully drain it, they'll typically be momentarily stunned and take more damage.

Sometimes the bar will be present but completely locked, meaning that your CC abilities have no effect whatsoever. Some of these enemies may have brief periods where the defiance bar unlocks, usually when you can break the bar to prevent an otherwise unavoidable nasty attack.

Some conditions are considered "soft CC" and will still do minor break bar damage, so things like blindness, immobilize, cripple, etc.. You can see the wiki pages linked above for specific details.

Sometimes you'll see people drop a "united legions waystation" before a big encounter, which you can use to purchase some extra abilities by spending war supplies (a map currency from Icebrood Saga/Living World season 5). There's a number of different things you can buy with it, but usually people place the table so you can get the first EMP ability, which gives you a strong and (almost) free CC ability. It's very handy on tougher bosses when everybody in the group grabs it, since you can't always count on people to equip CC skills and save them for the break bar

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

That might work for the random map events but anything more and it'll bring out the worst in the most toxic people.
The reward can also never be more than "huh, neat"

No fucken way I'm gonna farm an event for a chance to be in the reward tier for a chance at a unique item.

increased chance at existing unique rewards like weapons and infusions

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

404notfound posted:

"Crowd control" is a general MMO term for abilities that can disable enemies, so in GW2 anything that pushes/pulls/knocks down enemies. Some enemies are defiant, meaning they have a blue defiance bar (often called a break bar) under their health bar and are immune to such effects—but the effects will instead drain the defiance bar, and if you fully drain it, they'll typically be momentarily stunned and take more damage.

Sometimes the bar will be present but completely locked, meaning that your CC abilities have no effect whatsoever. Some of these enemies may have brief periods where the defiance bar unlocks, usually when you can break the bar to prevent an otherwise unavoidable nasty attack.

Some conditions are considered "soft CC" and will still do minor break bar damage, so things like blindness, immobilize, cripple, etc.. You can see the wiki pages linked above for specific details.

Sometimes you'll see people drop a "united legions waystation" before a big encounter, which you can use to purchase some extra abilities by spending war supplies (a map currency from Icebrood Saga/Living World season 5). There's a number of different things you can buy with it, but usually people place the table so you can get the first EMP ability, which gives you a strong and (almost) free CC ability. It's very handy on tougher bosses when everybody in the group grabs it, since you can't always count on people to equip CC skills and save them for the break bar

TIL, thank you!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Infusions are so weird to me because I have an accessory from Halloween that turns me smokey and black but it's on an exotic item and I have Ascended/Leggy everything.

It's the only thing I've gotten with that sort of effect. Can I salvage it and apply it to something better?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Infusions are so weird to me because I have an accessory from Halloween that turns me smokey and black but it's on an exotic item and I have Ascended/Leggy everything.

It's the only thing I've gotten with that sort of effect. Can I salvage it and apply it to something better?

use a BL salvage kit and yeah

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

whydirt posted:

I would wager that the majority of GW2 players don't want a challenge. There's a reason Wildstar flopped.

I don't want to have to play at 100% perfection to just get a couple yellows, but on the other hand, having something that involves just auto attacking and winning is dull. Can we aim for maybe 60-80% focus to win? Like, you gotta hit your buttons and have a reasonable set of gear, but they don't have to be in a perfectly timed 45 step rotation with birthday cake being good enough for buffs?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I mean they kinda did that with Convergences bosses and arguably champions, and in my opinion that sucks because it veers in the same direction as bounties in LW4, namely a lot of unfun as gently caress mechanics to deal with. Sorry, I don't enjoy being thrown about by Sorrow for 10 minutes, dev team, that is massively unfun

Problem is you also can't ask for too much coordination, people already gently caress up on boneskinner, which is all things considered a relatively simple encounter. Hell, remember the whole rear end debacle of the Dragon's End meta? I don't know if it's better now but that used to be a disaster.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

tarbrush posted:

Just be aware that PvP is the sacrificial anode that keeps all the awful, terrible rear end in a top hat gamers out of the rest of gw2

It doesn't seem to work all the time, like once a day when I manage to pop into a failing meta there's one guy just raging like his life depended on its success. Like just yesterday or something the Tangled Depths one failed because for the entire prep time they were advertising that they didn't have enough people in one lane, meanwhile ogre lane had like thirty+ dudes to smash those eggs so fast some people couldn't even get hits in. So, predictably, when Nuoch lane failed one of the ogre lane guys just flipped his lid over it rather than having tried to help at all.

whydirt posted:

I would wager that the majority of GW2 players don't want a challenge. There's a reason Wildstar flopped.

In my experience most people in most MMOs don't really want a "challenge". They just want it to be too hard for other people to do but don't actually want to struggle. Whether its GW2, FFXIV or WoW, one of the most common complaints is always other people just showing up to content in bad gear and auto-attacking or whatever. So hard content is made for like, I don't know, the minority 20% of players that want it. That's where you get your raiders and stuff. But among them raiders are almost never happy because they get mad if anyone can just roll up and do a raid, and if their rewards aren't unique and special and gated enough; they want harder content. But do they actually? Because in most of these games the majority of that 20% aren't the people rushing out to do the hardest of raids day one either. They wait for someone else to figure it out then copy their strategies, builds and techniques, or like in FFXIV: pay someone to carry them through it so they can get the cool reward. Like, again just using FFXIV as an example, allegedly only 1% of players clear ultimate raids and that doesn't differentiate between those who do it to do it and those who get carried for the shiny rewards. And all of this extends to the new CM people are mad about in GW2. It's hard challenging content for people who want hard challenging content, that's just too hard, and only a tiny percentage of the best players are seriously attempting because everyone else is waiting for it to be nerfed.

And all of this gets murkier when you add in unique rewards. If super hard mode poo poo like FFXIV's ultimate raids didn't have unique rewards, no one would ever do them. Not even the players who claim they love the challenge and that raids are their favorite part of the game, the players who beg square constantly for new ones. And it's never enough to just make the rewards more of the same, IE: if you get 5 crystals that unlock your tiered gear for normal mode then hard mode might give 10, because then people will get mad that there's no real incentive to do hard mode as opposed to just farming normal and that people who do normal will still ultimately get the same gear they do over time. They have to be, and feel, special and better than the people who can't do the same content they do. But once you start giving them unique rewards you start alienating people who don't like doing that content. In both WoW and FFXIV, being a mount or pet collector used to be a very chill sort of thing, a lot of them were tied to incredibly arbitrary grinds, obscure titles and quests or specific bosses you just had to kill endlessly until it finally dropped. But someone quickly realized, as early as zul'gruub in WoW, that such vanity objects made for excellent rewards to separate the hardest of hard core players from the regular people! And by the time you reach Wrath of the Lich King a massive amount of mounts were locked behind incredibly tedious or annoying raid challenges, meanwhile FFXIV tends to lock them behind clearing Savage and similar hard mode content while normal mode mostly gets nothing but gear drops that is borderline useless because you can't even really use it for cosmetic purposes since the second raid onward you've only been able to dye the savage tier of raid gear. As a result it makes the normal mode content feel incredibly unrewarding and not even worth doing in the first place - savage gets more loot, better loot, the actual loot and additional bosses and boss phases normal mode doesn't. Some fights are entirely different on savage. So why bother? You might as well just wait for the alliance raid.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

This is why, at least during certain eras, the Guild Wars franchise has intended for PvP formats to be the true endgame for players who want to get sweaty with it.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
I do think it's a sort of obnoxious design decision that runes/gear/sigils/relics are all kind of a high cost items so playing with builds is difficult unless you're kitted out in full legendary already which then makes the value for getting them not useful anymore. Other than going full fashion souls I don't know what the solution for this is, but I remember when i was newer just having mismatched runes in yellow gear because a full set required expensive crafting or dealing with the shop. The stat-selectable wvw armor they added recently probably helps with this, but still in order to not waste a bunch of money, you probably want to follow a guide to get reasonable gear for a build that will do reasonable damage rather than actually being able to learn how to gear up organically.

So yeah I mean i guess this is sort of just the general JRPG "Too good to use" syndrome but with a tied in in-game economic disincentive with soulbinding and runes getting locked into items, and I don't really know what a solution could be.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

whydirt posted:

This is why, at least during certain eras, the Guild Wars franchise has intended for PvP formats to be the true endgame for players who want to get sweaty with it.

Yeah but the downside to that is that if you don't like PVP then you just kind of get nothing to do. And also why, at least in the communities I've been poking around in, there's so much excitement for the obsidian armour and hopes that they'll add similar accessories.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Though it isn't surprising they shy away from hard open world content when anything that approached challenging was complained about and nerfed like old Orr enemies and added the skyscale fireball for even lower effort leeching.

The skyscale fireball is rapidly becoming my least favorite thing. I don't even hate it on principal or anything, it's just got an obnoxiously huge visual effect and it sucks to join a world event where half the people are just riding skyscales spamming that poo poo and giggling about how hard the game is lagging out because of how many of them are spamming the fireball at once while everyone else actually kills the boss - or getting killed because they can't see any of the telegraphs or markers.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 7, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That's been my main complaint about GW2, why experiment with builds or before the thousands spent into legendaries spend hundreds on new runes/sigils/weapons/extra build slots (thanks anet for banning mods so you could gem store that) when doing the absolute bare minimum is all that is required? let's say you made the strongest solo build that ever existed, what is there to use it on in PvE? there is nothing challenging or worth doing outside of instanced group content and what could be challenging in the open world is usually zerged down.

GW1 had challenging areas and after clearing a campaign you could do it again in hard mode, if you wanted to solo it you had to setup a viable skill setup and group composition on your 7 AI henchmen and make sure the enemy didn't have something to shut it down and make you rethink it.

Though it isn't surprising they shy away from hard open world content when anything that approached challenging was complained about and nerfed like old Orr enemies and added the skyscale fireball for even lower effort leeching.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 7, 2024

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Residual Toast posted:

I do think it's a sort of obnoxious design decision that runes/gear/sigils/relics are all kind of a high cost items so playing with builds is difficult unless you're kitted out in full legendary already which then makes the value for getting them not useful anymore.

I think actually the end-game economy is managed better than most other games. There is little inflation or market manipulation.

Legendaries are the ultimate convenience, but I doubt they pay off, effort or investment-wise, unless you're buildcrafting like it's a full-time job. They are very expensive, and putting together a set of ascended gear is pretty cheap. Before I had a ton of spare ascended gear sat in the bank I'd budget 100-200g for a new build. Significantly less than the cost of even a single piece of legendary armour, and easy to earn in less than a week of daily strikes and fractals (or failing that, 5-10 hours of playing the game doing practically anything else).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nuebot posted:

Yeah but the downside to that is that if you don't like PVP then you just kind of get nothing to do. And also why, at least in the communities I've been poking around in, there's so much excitement for the obsidian armour and hopes that they'll add similar accessories.

I think we're talking about different things. Aspirational collection achievements like Obby armor are in a different category from the folks who want Hard Content to test their skills. Players who get bored because there's nothing meaningful left to collect are different from those who get bored because they feel actual gameplay has become too easy/stale.

There are already open world Legendaries for the Accessory and Amulet slots (and you complete about half of what you need for the amulet while doing the accessories if you stack tasks correctly). I imagine a back piece and/or rings will probably come in the next expansion.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 7, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

404notfound posted:

Speaking of, this one post has done more informational good for me wrt defiance bars than weeks of "break a defiance bar" in the wizard vault dailies.

GW2, god bless it, needs a few more tutorials.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

whydirt posted:

I think we're talking about different things. Aspirational collection achievements like Obby armor are in a different category from the folks who want Hard Content to test their skills. Players who get bored because there's nothing meaningful left to collect are different from those who get bored because they feel actual gameplay has become too easy/stale.

would scaling bonuses for added difficulty make it worth it? Like 4 people doing a strike for extra loot. That creates some more difficulty/challenge for the people that want it. Hell, make it a thing to give something awesome if the strike is solo'd(assuming mechanics can allow). Dungeons and Raids could be similarly rewarded extra for not being a full group(again assuming it's feasible).

Champions could have double reward if it's only one or two people. A lot of them aren't hard to solo, but that atleast makes taking one solo worth the sidetrack. There's a couple that suck and leg ones I can't solo, but worst case I'll grind out one if I can, but the reward is still the same as if it were 30 ppl melting it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of, this one post has done more informational good for me wrt defiance bars than weeks of "break a defiance bar" in the wizard vault dailies.

They did a fun little tutorial Renown Heart with dodging, defiance bars, and combo fields!

In the opening zone of the third expansion. :negative:

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Your quote is indeed a good post, but I should point out, as it implies - the united legions waystation it refers to requires a mastery that is only available if you have some of the Icebrood Saga (the last living world season) chapters unlocked. Since it's a living world season, it's purchasable with gems if you don't want to spend real money, but I think it does require you own the Path of Fire expansion, which can't be bought with gems. Icebrood saga also unlocks the easy strikes, so it's a pretty good thing to have for earning gold.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
On the topic of masteries I really loving wish you had to play through expansions in order - I get that is part of GW's charm of being modular, but they can hardly build upon stuff they released (mounts! traversal masteries! generic powerups like the IBS ones that exist like 3 times across different masteries!) or stuff that is very good is gated behind some specific part of the game - like mounts, way stations, etc, which means that you need to kinda buy, own and play everything anyway.

Like they have some good stuff in place, but they can't build upon skriffs because well gently caress you! That's an EoD thing. So they do patchwork like giving mastery-less raptor and springer in EoD, which to be quite frank, feels like poo poo. Or owning SotO without HoT, and being able to acquire all the gliding masteries. I get that the original idea was based off GW1 being modular (except EotN) but I feel like that idea has long sailed, and that ultimately this would end up in a situation l like FFXIV where you need to play more and more every expansion to beat the game, but it feels bad that the devs cannot build upon what was made previously.

(it also means that if they wanted to update like strikes with the new two-level CM for ToF, they can't because that content is long done for! and they're working on future expansions! why go rework something that is 'done' in terms of content cycle?!)

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 7, 2024

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Honestly I wouldn't hate it if they treated masteries similarly to the blue/green strike currency and unusual/ancient coin split where the current expansion has it's own flavor of mastery points that are exclusive to it, then all the older content uses the same pool of points so you can mix and match to find the easiest points to get across expansions.

Also, at this point they should cut the needed XP for Heart of Thorns mastery tracks by 50% or so.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Update: they let you skip to the new release once you get through chapter 6 of the Secrets expansion. I have no idea what the gently caress I was doing (there are good kryptis? i guess?) but I did it and now I have new weapons for all my characters!

It reminded me, in a bad way, of Destiny, where when you log in after a long time it automatically jumps you into the current season's opening mission, and you have absolutely no idea what is going on as the characters all shout total nonsense at you about how Proper Noun is needed to align Other Proper Noun in order to Capital Verb Yet Another Proper Noun. Oh well, Necro sword is cool.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Speaking of long term goals, does IBS offer, uh, any? Besides being a part of the legendary amulet collection.

LS3 and 4 have the legendary accessories, the expansions offer weapons and armor. IBS doesn't seem to have anything compelling if you aren't into a bunch of overpriced weapon skins. Granted, the maps are worth coming back to just because they're generically profitable (and perhaps even fun, at least in Drizzlewood's case)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

OzFactor posted:

It reminded me, in a bad way, of Destiny, where when you log in after a long time it automatically jumps you into the current season's opening mission, and you have absolutely no idea what is going on as the characters all shout total nonsense at you about how Proper Noun is needed to align Other Proper Noun in order to Capital Verb Yet Another Proper Noun. Oh well, Necro sword is cool.

I've read the recaps of SOTO story in the journal before starting this latest chapter and I don't really know what's going on, either.

I still don't know what this Nayos is supposed to be. Another planet? Another dimension? Either I missed that or it's never stated.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

whydirt posted:

Also, at this point they should cut the needed XP for Heart of Thorns mastery tracks by 50% or so.

I’m really not looking forward to grinding those out.

Gliding seems most important, do the others offer anything besides access to some additional areas and equipment vendors?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I think the poison mastery and the counter magic mastery see some limited use outside of HoT. Could be wrong. Obviously the raid mastery (and gliding) for raids.

I don't think experience is really the issue with HoT masteries - it has some of the better metas in the game, and they give a ton of XP. I remember struggling a bit to unlock enough mastery points though.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

..btt posted:

I think the poison mastery and the counter magic mastery see some limited use outside of HoT. Could be wrong. Obviously the raid mastery (and gliding) for raids.

I don't think experience is really the issue with HoT masteries - it has some of the better metas in the game, and they give a ton of XP. I remember struggling a bit to unlock enough mastery points though.

there are some bouncy mushrooms in ls4 and ibs other than that they're largely useless outside the jungle and the forsaken thicket

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game would of been vastly better if the raptor and springer were day 1 ideas for release and they designed the world around their movement options.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Getting HoT mastery xp is extremely easy, but also extremely boring.
In northern Lake Doric is a big area with a bunch of tents and lots of veteran centaurs. Grab a good solo grinding class like Reaper, stack as many xp buffs as you can and you should be done with all possible masteries in a few hours at most.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Wuxi posted:

Getting HoT mastery xp is extremely easy, but also extremely boring.
In northern Lake Doric is a big area with a bunch of tents and lots of veteran centaurs. Grab a good solo grinding class like Reaper, stack as many xp buffs as you can and you should be done with all possible masteries in a few hours at most.

it's much easier to just do king of the jungle/tarir once a day tbh

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Saraiguma posted:

They also have those XP potions for wizardbucks in the wizardshop, and they nerfed their sell value, so it's worth using them for xp now.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

For scraping together mastery points, I had the most trouble with Icebrood Saga by far. HoT obviously went overboard with masteries, but it also gave you plenty of opportunities to get them. IBS requires at least a couple grindy/collectathon achievements in order to finish off all of the masteries

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah I’m doing the last couple IBS masteries and I’m down to stuff like dodging dragon attacks 50 times in Dragonfall and crafting weapon skins I don’t particularly care about

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I scraped together those masteries slowly, I wound up doing the Defend Jora's Keep meta 15 times for my last point in a mastery I'll hardly use, but at least my bar shows real exp now when I'm hanging out in Drizzlewood.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Saraiguma posted:

Centaurs are much much more xp than any meta and you don't have to watch out for event timers, you can just hop over to Lake Doric whenever you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Degs posted:

I posted a little thing in the discord to gauge interest in goon strikes. Direct link here: https://discord.com/channels/129787532702515200/129787532702515200/1212866647988371476

I'm going to be saying it in guild chat a few times a day over the next week to make sure everyone sees it. If there's sufficient interest, I'll do the next steps in establishing availability, level of interest, level of experience, etc, etc, as it stands it's explicitly just to see if people even want to do strikes right now.

Hello. Just drawing attention to this again, as I am going to consider the tally settled on Saturday after guild missions. Again, no commitment at this time, just putting feelers out. Figure out what kind of groups we can put together/availability etc is the next step. Will be painless (for you), I promise.