Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
it's a shame chandra / nissa aren't on this plane so they could be gay and do crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Those are literally guys who do crimes.

They are, but for it's the same reason that I wouldn't call Jesse James a gangster, even though he was in a gang, while I would call Bugsy Siegel one...

Like, this is a game that distinguishes between knights, soldiers, and warriors, so it gets vibes...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They should reprint Casualties of War for the crimes set

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Aphrodite posted:

Those are literally guys who do crimes.

lmao

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's a new sheriff in town and I'm here to put outlaws, desperados and ne'er-do-wells behind bars for targeting opponents, anything they control, and/or cards in their graveyards.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I read all the Bloomburrow spoilers, processed the cards (or at least thought I did), and did not realize that they had changed Enters the Battlefield to Enters until I saw people talking about that specific change on Twitter like a few days later lol

I think people are still going to refer to the effects as ETBs just like I feel most people say CMC instead of MV. It's probably good that they're finding ways to make card texts shorter.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 7, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

I read all the Bloomburrow spoilers, processed the cards (or at least thought I did), and did not realize that they had changed Enters the Battlefield to Enters until I saw people talking about that specific change on Twitter like a few days later lol

I think people are still going to refer to the effects as ETBs just like I feel most people say CMC instead of MV. It's probably good that they're finding ways to make card texts shorter.

i would've rather they shorten it to 'enters play' intead of just 'enters' but they probably really have to take a machete to character count these days to fit as much as they can onto cards, lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also, between this and descend in Ixalan it's clear that the current design team is interested in set mechanics that are flavored descriptions of certain types of game action instead of... well, traditional keywords. Something about the phrasing of those types of abilities feels clunky to me, but if the effects are cool and the flavor makes it easier to remember I'm not going to complain too hard.

For me it made parsing the cards in MKM a little harder at first, but I was fine after a few games.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aphrodite posted:

Board wipes are an act of god.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Eej posted:

There's a new sheriff in town and I'm here to put outlaws, desperados and ne'er-do-wells behind bars for targeting opponents, anything they control, and/or cards in their graveyards.

:clint:
    🎴🎴🎴
  🃏  🎲  🃏
🐰  🎴  🎴  🔮
    🎴  🎴
    🎴  🎴
    👢  👢

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ETyDp3JuU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I didn't often play blue but now I'm going to make a deck all about stealing (one of the worst and coolest of crimes).

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
i would like to see some more battles

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Time posted:

I feel like we're not going to see them until the interplanar wacky races set if that, but yeah I'd love to see them return soon. maybe they'll have some in modern horizons 3 lol

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Time posted:

I feel like there was a missed opportunity in the Fallout set for Battles, but WotC doesn't print double-sided cards in commander products usually.

I have a distaste for double-sided cards in general but if the printed a new subtype for Battles that was single-sided, I think that would be very cool.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
honestly I'm a little surprised none of the random alchemy cards they put on arena after every set have been a battle so far

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it is funny to look at the crimes mechanic in the context of wotc design's focus on commander, and arrive at "interaction is evil because it makes casual commander players sad." like I will grant it is a weird bit of symmetry

but, "crimes" is not wotc codifying that notion into the game rules. you are not a bad person if you take a game action that falls under the set of actions listed under "crime." I don't even think they're attempting to leverage some latent feeling about interaction with that particular word

they had a wild west plane and they had a mechanic sitting in the "Unused One-Off Mechanics" bin that needed some flavor. "crime" is that connective tissue. now they can take the card design "Signpost Uncommon That Does Set Mechanic X" they had sitting around and call it "Outlaw Cadabra." it's a design conceit and that's all it is

kalel fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 7, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the only real-world effect of this is if you play casual commander, for a month and a half after thunder junction comes out you'll have to suffer some reddit brain nerd going "you committed a cRiMeEeEe" when you swords their commander. that's it. it'll be fine

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're actually generally incentivized to commit crimes in the set.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I may be on the pro-crime side of this discussion, but I have to agree with you here. "When Cardname enters the battlefield, X" becoming "When Cardname enters, X" is just changing the nomenclature for no good reason and making it sound more artificial. If they went all the way to "Enter: X" I could believe that it saves enough space to be worth it, but as-is it's just changing jargon after twenty years for not enough benefit.

May we all find peace in our time, by admitting that WotC's rules text sounds kind of janky some times.

Battlecry is what Hearthstone called it and I think that made a lot of sense, especially since every card on that game does have a literal sound effect associated with being played. Eeteebee is clunky in comparison even as an acronym and on a card takes up way too much space.

I think one word or a symbol is best for such a common effect. MtG does have battlecry, but it's a +1 token combat buff.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 7, 2024

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

kalel posted:

"Outlaw Cobra."

I want this.

{G}
Creature - Snake Outlaw
R

Whenever an opponent commits a crime, add one mana of any color.

2/1

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cactrot posted:

People have strong feelings about crimes and the word crime, and it's weird of wotc to overlook that in a game that is almost equal parts vibes and words.

It is in fact not weird for WOTC to overlook that, because the people who are getting mad about it for that reason are the weird people.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

GonSmithe posted:

It is in fact not weird for WOTC to overlook that, because the people who are getting mad about it for that reason are the weird people.

From the perspective of the average Magic player you’re entirely correct, but the game is targeted at a minority of people happy to pay hundreds if not thousands for worthless cardboard. Those people tend not to be the demographics targeted by the carceral state, and if the person reading this post feels annoyed by or uncomfortable with the term “carceral state” congratulations, you’re probably bougie enough to be entirely insulated from understanding the objection in the first place.

When people get up in arms about hearing that WotC’s choices are tone deaf it really says more about them than the ones pointing out WotC’s issues.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I just think it's a dumb name for a mechanic.

Weirdly I was thinking about undergrowth, is there any particular reason golgari grave troll never got printed with the keyword even though it effectively has it?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Loucks posted:

From the perspective of the average Magic player you’re entirely correct, but the game is targeted at a minority of people happy to pay hundreds if not thousands for worthless cardboard. Those people tend not to be the demographics targeted by the carceral state, and if the person reading this post feels annoyed by or uncomfortable with the term “carceral state” congratulations, you’re probably bougie enough to be entirely insulated from understanding the objection in the first place.

When people get up in arms about hearing that WotC’s choices are tone deaf it really says more about them than the ones pointing out WotC’s issues.

Yeah man you’re right, thanks for condescendingly explaining to me facism is racist and calling me bougie because I think using “crime” as a mechanic in a Wild West set is perfectly fine. You’re definitely not the weirdo in this conversation.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When Cardname rides into town,

With this kind of language we're only a few short hops away:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

flatluigi posted:

i would've rather they shorten it to 'enters play' intead of just 'enters' but they probably really have to take a machete to character count these days to fit as much as they can onto cards, lol

"Enters play" is way better and less ambiguous than just "enters" as part of a sentence, which I think they have to do because they can't really treat enters like revolt or undergrowth because it wouldn't save any words if I'm reading it right

I always assumed emrakul was facing to the left in that picture as much as she has a face

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Battlecry is what Hearthstone called it and I think that made a lot of sense, especially since every card on that game does have a literal sound effect associated with being played. Eeteebee is clunky in comparison even as an acronym and on a card takes up way too much space.

I think one word or a symbol is best for such a common effect. MtG does have battlecry, but it's a +1 token combat buff.

They could do something like that for effects that happen when the card itself enters the battlefield, but there are a whole load of effects that care about other cards entering the battlefield (sometimes as well as the original card, sometimes not) so they can't really keyword it easily.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I want this.

{G}
Creature - Snake Outlaw
R

Whenever an opponent commits a crime, add one mana of any color.

2/1

Finally, the Rango secret lair we've all been clamoring for

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I just think it's a dumb name for a mechanic.

Weirdly I was thinking about undergrowth, is there any particular reason golgari grave troll never got printed with the keyword even though it effectively has it?

Undergrowth is a flavor word, not a keyword. It appears in italics and thus has no gameplay effect. Also GGT predates Undergrowth as it appeared in RTR and Undergrowth was in Guilds of Ravnica block. I don't think there's ever been a reprint to give a flavour word, usually that's reserved for evergreening like mill or surveil.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its just weird that board wiping isnt a crime to me. I think it would make a lot more sense for a crime to be anything that destroys/exiles a creature, discards a card, or counters a spell. It being just targeting poo poo is very strange to me. "target player gains life" is theoretically a crime.

Kill one man you're a murderer, kill many and you're a conqueror.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Khanstant posted:

There are lots of things you could make one word, the problem is new players understanding them. They already have to learn what haste, trample, flying, etc. do, plus the current set mechanics (if it doesn't have the reminder text). They could get away with Mill because it's become so ubiquitous that even the players of other games use it.

You could make "search you library for X and put it onto the battlefield" Summon X and "search you library for X and put it into your hand" Find X. But it's just more stuff for beginners to mix up.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Calling it an "entry" effect makes sense because in America that's the main course of a meal, and for most of these creatures the entry effect is the main reason you're putting them in your deck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

"Enters play" is way better and less ambiguous than just "enters" as part of a sentence, which I think they have to do because they can't really treat enters like revolt or undergrowth because it wouldn't save any words if I'm reading it right

I always assumed emrakul was facing to the left in that picture as much as she has a face

Enters play sounds too much like "comes into play" and that is verboten

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

If space is a concern for the designers we should show them how Across the Obelisk writes their cards and then we're gonna end up with poo poo like this:

1+ 🚫 🪙 💀 ↔️ create a 2/2 :BlackMana: Zombie 🫏 token with 🫠 . (1⏲️)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

please like or not like wizard's language choices without inferring or explicitly calling your fellow posters hand-wringing weirdos or bougie tools of the carceral state, thanks

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Enters play sounds too much like "comes into play" and that is verboten

Yeah people have forgotten that the reason they renamed it to ETB in the first place was because "play" had multiple ambiguous meanings

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Nighthand posted:

With this kind of language we're only a few short hops away:

Honestly might use this for my cube, it's so fly.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

mossyfisk posted:

There are lots of things you could make one word, the problem is new players understanding them. They already have to learn what haste, trample, flying, etc. do, plus the current set mechanics (if it doesn't have the reminder text). They could get away with Mill because it's become so ubiquitous that even the players of other games use it.

You could make "search you library for X and put it onto the battlefield" Summon X and "search you library for X and put it into your hand" Find X. But it's just more stuff for beginners to mix up.

summoning is casting a creature spell

They all used to say Summon (creature types) on them before changing to the modern templating with portal 2

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Undergrowth is a flavor word, not a keyword. It appears in italics and thus has no gameplay effect. Also GGT predates Undergrowth as it appeared in RTR and Undergrowth was in Guilds of Ravnica block. I don't think there's ever been a reprint to give a flavour word, usually that's reserved for evergreening like mill or surveil.

GGT was in the original Rav block and no one really cared about it (except maybe some fringe Ichorid players) til Bridge from Below happened. Before that the hot dredge card was Life from the Loam.

Which is to say, it waaaaay predates Guilds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Shocked to learn that there is text on GGT beyond Dredge 6.