Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

docbeard posted:

Walton Goggins and Michael Emerson being in it were already guaranteeing I'd give it a look.

I'm not really pinning my hopes higher than "watchable" but goddamn I want to believe

at the very least it looks like they did a good job with the set design, costumes, and props which is what a show like that should be heavily leaning on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

at the very least it looks like they did a good job with the set design, costumes, and props which is what a show like that should be heavily leaning on

Yeah, definitely, they really captured the look and feel of the world if the trailer is anything to go by.

My only actual complaint is no sign of Ron Perlman narrating.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy poo poo it is going to be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-mugKDQDlg

Can't believe they did it
Nolan loves those Malinois, we all do

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

docbeard posted:

Yeah, definitely, they really captured the look and feel of the world if the trailer is anything to go by.

My only actual complaint is no sign of Ron Perlman narrating.

Ron Perlman hasn't been seen since he boarded a sea plane in the Alps.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I will watch the Fallout show

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
fallout is fine as long as bethesda's writers aren't involved, 1/2/new vegas all show that you can do decent stories within the setting, bethesda fallouts just coast by on the setting itself

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Whoolighams posted:

love the original so much, one of the movies where everyone with a line feels like a complete character. "what the hell did they expect for their lousy 35 cents - to live forever?

It's such a sign of the times that Robert Shaw's character kills himself because the movie was made during that brief window in the US when the death penalty was unconstitutional.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Bethesda just forces everything into a boring conventional framework for the dumdums and it sucks, FO4 is a fun game though just has bad writing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Whoolighams posted:

Bethesda just forces everything into a boring conventional framework for the dumdums and it sucks, FO4 is a fun game though just has bad writing

i actually really enjoyed the base building mechanic and the idea of being a founding member of your own faction in the FO universe, it just didn't fully click with the other game elements for me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Need to pay extra to see Fallout without ads. Hard pass on paying yet more and ads both.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Just steal it??

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DaysBefore posted:

Just steal it??

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol @ paying to watch tv shows

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

brugroffil posted:

Tits discourse is real

e: they were saying this exact same stuff about Kate Upton like five years ago, including "this destroys the left!!!!"

forgot about her but never forgot those bazonkers. all time classics.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fallout would be a good setting if they one day revealed the rest of the world is fine and it's just the US that hosed themselves up this bad. Until then it's pretty dumb, fun games but zero interest in a show about The Lore.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

On season five of The Shield

How did a basic cable show land Glen Close and Forrest Whitaker in back to back seasons?? Some pretty great performances!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

Fallout would be a good setting if they one day revealed the rest of the world is fine and it's just the US that hosed themselves up this bad. Until then it's pretty dumb, fun games but zero interest in a show about The Lore.

Ok

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Gumball Gumption posted:

I headcannon pretty much this tbh - since america was nuked to hell and all comms were destroyed, it basically became a nation of isolated psychos.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tristeham posted:

lol @ paying to watch tv shows

lol @ watching tv shows

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ArmedZombie posted:

lol @ watching tv shows

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ArmedZombie posted:

lol @ watching tv shows

lol @ the TV, when a funny thing happens on the show I'm watching

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ArmedZombie posted:

lol @ watching tv shows

tv shows can be fun I'm watching the shogun adaptation on hulu rn

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

tv shows can be fun I'm watching the shogun adaptation on hulu rn

How is that

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

lol @ the TV, when a funny thing happens on the show I'm watching

^This

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

only on the second episode so far but p neat I liked the catholic missionary panicking and trying to get the protestant mc executed before the japanese discovered the world was bigger than them

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Tsitsikovas posted:

I headcannon pretty much this tbh - since america was nuked to hell and all comms were destroyed, it basically became a nation of isolated psychos.

The internal contradiction of nuclear war anxiety while still lusting after the utopian potential of sci-fi technology + RETVRN to ye olde West is the psychic underpinning of Fallout and so, uniquely American imo.

Thinking about the state of the rest of the world in Fallout is interesting but actually depicting it would be missing the point

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i was skeptical but it is loving amazing, really nails all the little details that other "prestige" shows gently caress up

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gumball Gumption posted:

Tsitsikovas posted:

this scenario would basically require America to have
a) given up all of its nukes
or
b) made the choice to martyr itself by quietly accepting nuclear destruction rather than dooming the world by retaliating

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Augus posted:

or
b) made the choice to martyr itself by quietly accepting nuclear destruction rather than dooming the world by retaliating

lol

i thought one of the games kind of implied that VaultTec was responsible for the Nuclear Armageddon as a way to seize power and have the only functioning arm of society be their vaults but I might be making that up

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

i thought one of the games kind of implied that VaultTec was responsible for the Nuclear Armageddon as a way to seize power and have the only functioning arm of society be their vaults but I might be making that up

that was the enclave, the secret fascist deep state that was running america. they purposefully accelerated the war in hopes of cleansing the earth for their private use while they waited out the apocalypse on an oil rig. the vaults were their little society experiments

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Did not notice that Matt Berry is voicing Mr. Handy. Moving the Fallout TV show up on the chart from "Cautiously Optimistic" to "Hyped"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
“Actually the outside world in [fictional setting] is doing great and is just ignoring the crazies.” Is tied for first place with “The main character is dying and the whole series is just their coma hallucinations as they bleed out/succumb to cancer.” in the contest for least original, laziest, and most completely being unable to understand story themes “fan theories”.

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Augus posted:

or

lol
I think it less as self-martyr and more that the international connections have all been severed and regardless of what happened to the rest of the world, no one is bothering with whatever is left of america anymore. Not like any lore talks about africa at all, and that the middle east simply runs dry of oil and welp thats it. China is assumingly nuked but then again, who knows. And thats really the thing, all stories point to a big who knows coupled with, as mentioned above, stories that it was all set up by the enclave anyway. There was a lot of BS peddled.

Meanwhile in classic "world series of baseball" americanism, all the talk about humanity seems to just focus on random parts of the US. But what we do know is that in spite of it all, humanity somehow still persists. If it did in the US, why not elsewhere? and if it did elsewhere, why assume it plays out exactly as it did in america?

drat horror queefs posted:

The internal contradiction of nuclear war anxiety while still lusting after the utopian potential of sci-fi technology + RETVRN to ye olde West is the psychic underpinning of Fallout and so, uniquely American imo.

Thinking about the state of the rest of the world in Fallout is interesting but actually depicting it would be missing the point
This I agree with entirely to be clear, both with how uniquely american the game is and how the point would be missed if the setting really moved elsewhere. Maybe headcannon is a strong word? It's just something I like to think about while playing TTW for the millionth time.

galagazombie posted:

“Actually the outside world in [fictional setting] is doing great and is just ignoring the crazies.” Is tied for first place with “The main character is dying and the whole series is just their coma hallucinations as they bleed out/succumb to cancer.” in the contest for least original, laziest, and most completely being unable to understand story themes “fan theories”.

I never said doing great. I just dont think the rest of the world devolved into lovely anarchism or lovely fascism by default.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They're making brand origin story movies for TV shows now

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1765808354725605854

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
Never heard of SNL.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

galagazombie posted:

“Actually the outside world in [fictional setting] is doing great and is just ignoring the crazies.”

what other movies is this applicable to other than The Village?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't think any country outside America is hosed up in The Handmaid's Tale but I don't remember exactly

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

what other movies is this applicable to other than The Village?

28 Days Later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
a fairly common "fan theory" (if you want to call it that) for 1984 is that eastasia and eurasia are total fictions and only the UK lives in the authoritarian dystopia