Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
this is an aside but i remember multiple academic papers about Puccini's obsession with putting tragic "little girls" into all his operas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
batman beyond had batgirl and batman in a relationship that "didnt work out" abd now that i'm older i find it very uncomfortable

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

batman beyond had batgirl and batman in a relationship that "didnt work out" abd now that i'm older i find it very uncomfortable

There was like a steroid abuse cautionary tale episode that got re aired way more times than any of the others I remember. It was just a downer and it seemed like they kept just showing it over and over.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Let's remember the best of Batman Beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mycot posted:

he's right

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
a lot of batman beyond episodes end on a downer and many of them end with the villain of the week dying

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
There was a point early-ish on in the pandemic where I got weirdly into watching assorted shows from the mid 2000s that I vaguely remembered as being kinda trashy entertainment, so like Desperate Housewives, Weeds, things in that vein. My takeaways were 1) I genuinely think there was a seed of subversive genius in the early seasons of Desperate Housewives and 2) holy poo poo people were way more casual about statutory rape back then. Like you have a season long plotline about one of the titular housewives having an affair with her high school student gardener, or the lovable rascal who both tries to have cybersex with a high schooler and takes a 12 year old to a happy ending massage parlor, and all these things are mostly treated as being cheeky.

I can't emphasize enough that this isn't a commentary on anime in any way or what country is better or worse or any of that poo poo. But like, you had that, you had all the "countdown until INSERT_TEEN_STARLET turns 18" poo poo, there's been a far overdue (and still incomplete in some ways) cultural shift in the US that in my experience really doesn't get acknowledged.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Olsen Twins "countdown until they are 18" website was pretty mainstream and I remember a random older cousin laughing about it :whitewater:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Famethrowa posted:

The Olsen Twins "countdown until they are 18" website was pretty mainstream and I remember a random older cousin laughing about it :whitewater:

cliffy b posted about it on these very forums lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We will perma ban him if he posts again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really theres been a culture shift in japan too. you could not get away with the gags like, early dragon ball pulls with roshi, in a shonen mag these days.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

mycot posted:

Not even what that guy said originally. Boo.

Lets remember the most hardcore death scene instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X31ROvszfGU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

In the Killing Joke animated movie they actually made up a new scene of Bruce and Babs doing it on a roof and it's even worse.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
While we're talking about cultural exchange between the West and Japan, here's a relevant aquascaping video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym8oZYe2J00

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Dawgstar posted:

In the Killing Joke animated movie they actually made up a new scene of Bruce and Babs doing it on a roof and it's even worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2XFm7iX-ds

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

For Batman Beyond at least you can imagine it happened when she was 30 and he was 45 or whatever their age gap is and it's still a bit weird but significantly less weird.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

when a fan called that loving stupid at a Q&A Brian Azzarello called them a pussy lol

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

woke kaczynski posted:

There was a point early-ish on in the pandemic where I got weirdly into watching assorted shows from the mid 2000s that I vaguely remembered as being kinda trashy entertainment, so like Desperate Housewives, Weeds, things in that vein. My takeaways were 1) I genuinely think there was a seed of subversive genius in the early seasons of Desperate Housewives and 2) holy poo poo people were way more casual about statutory rape back then. Like you have a season long plotline about one of the titular housewives having an affair with her high school student gardener, or the lovable rascal who both tries to have cybersex with a high schooler and takes a 12 year old to a happy ending massage parlor, and all these things are mostly treated as being cheeky.

For whatever reason I started reading the Pretty Little Liars books and woof, the perspective on statutory rape is so hosed. Glad the culture has moved as much as it has on understanding adults grooming and preying on teens is gross and criminal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

a lot of batman beyond episodes end on a downer and many of them end with the villain of the week dying

Or you get a callback to the original rogues gallery like Bane being hospitalized from Venom abuse or everything about Mr Freeze's episode.

Mad Stan was a fun villain because he only existed to blow poo poo up and keep Terry from going on a date

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the mr freeze episode owns freeze kicking rear end until he meets a psychotic skeleton made of radiation who kicks his rear end

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

woke kaczynski posted:

I can't emphasize enough that this isn't a commentary on anime in any way or what country is better or worse or any of that poo poo. But like, you had that, you had all the "countdown until INSERT_TEEN_STARLET turns 18" poo poo, there's been a far overdue (and still incomplete in some ways) cultural shift in the US that in my experience really doesn't get acknowledged.

I remember this being a meme about Dakota Fanning somewhere (maybe here?) and it was always really weird.

Then the other day I saw an article about how it was her 30th birthday and I immediately crumbled into dust.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the mr freeze episode owns freeze kicking rear end until he meets a psychotic skeleton made of radiation who kicks his rear end
that dude has one of my favorite lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdWlWUUYejc

bruce timm's...predilictions aside, the Animated DC universe is imo some of the best DC stuff they've ever done for the most part. some of my all-time favorite moments and gags too, like when wally west and lex luthor swapped bodies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfBhIM5tb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwRxVpplzHo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its good because there were other people there to mange bruce timm to make him to tone down the perviness and keep batman from having sex with batgirl

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like this scene in the superman cartoon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDAGHELgT_0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aside from The Killing Joke (Obviously) I feel like most of the DC Animated stuff has been sitting around a good to great level of quality? I haven't seen every one of them and I'm not very deeply versed on all the comics history so maybe some of the stuff is a terrible adaptation having seen the source material but I enjoyed the ones I've seen; Superman: Doomsday, Batman: Under the Red Hood, All-Star Superman, Justice League: Doom, Superman vs. The Elite, Justice League: War, etc.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

woke kaczynski posted:

theres a subplot in the movie waiting (2005) where ryan reynolds is desperate to gently caress the hostess at the restaurant before she turns 18. like that is his goal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its good because there were other people there to mange bruce timm to make him to tone down the perviness and keep batman from having sex with batgirl
yeah. and it had things like this bit with The Trickster being talked down by the flash instead of fought. still an all-time favorite clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muU6boslNcA&hd=1

"you just pull another mirror outta yer blinkin' arsenal", just brilliant writing

batman and superman animated series were great, more batman than superman, but the justice league series were really just top shelf for the majority of them.

and while we're on it, if anyone hasn't seen it yet, this is just an incredible animated short WB did 6 years ago, where the joker and trickster kidnap mark hamill. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE&hd=1

a really, really good idea for a gag short.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

theres a subplot in the movie waiting (2005) where ryan reynolds is desperate to gently caress the hostess at the restaurant before she turns 18. like that is his goal.

this one gets brought up a lot, but what is often forgotten about Waiting is that all of the staff play a game where the object is to get one of your coworkers to look at your genitals without their consent

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
batgirl in the animated adaption of the killing joke is one of the worst written female characters i have ever seen and its actually impressive they made a story that was already kinda sexist into one that was very sexist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

killing joke is insanely overrated lol. theres a few decent bits of dialog but the actual plot and what happens in it is moronic and makes those bits of dialog even dumber. you could have joker rob a sofa store and hit the exact same beats.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Killing Joke got the Watchmen/Dark Knight Returns treatment as a Serious Business comic.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

killing joke is insanely overrated lol. theres a few decent bits of dialog but the actual plot and what happens in it is moronic and makes those bits of dialog even dumber. you could have joker rob a sofa store and hit the exact same beats.

even alan moore thinks its a bad comic that ruined batgirl

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
whatever happened to the man of tomorrow is the superior story

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Batgirl as Oracle was rad but that is entirely down to creators that worked with the character after TKJ, not because of it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
The Dark Knight returns is a good comic but that batman is not how batman should be written on a regular basis

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Arc Hammer posted:

Killing Joke got the Watchmen/Dark Knight Returns treatment as a Serious Business comic.

The comic was good as a stand alone piece, it really did not need to be animated and it didn't need to be held up as "Art" with a capital A. Same with Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell... Actually I thinking Hollywood just had a really bad phase of being way too into Alan Moore works.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For the Man Who Has Everything is a good superman story and to this day I believe the Justice League episode adaptation remains the only one that Alan Moore hasn't disliked. Probably because he doesn't know or care if it exists.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

For the Man Who Has Everything is a good superman story and to this day I believe the Justice League episode adaptation remains the only one that Alan Moore hasn't disliked. Probably because he doesn't know or care if it exists.

he knows and gave it his approval which is why he is credited in the episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

whatever happened to the man of tomorrow is the superior story

Krypto's death brought me near to tears.

Captain Invictus posted:

batman and superman animated series were great, more batman than superman, but the justice league series were really just top shelf for the majority of them.

Superman: TAS has my favorite iteration of Lobo, voiced by Brad Garrett.