Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
After playing a bit more today I think the nerfs were all pretty much spot on, the railgun was simply too strong for a hitscan weapon that didn't need a backpack, but I do think a lot of the other anti-armour stuff needs a bit of a buff. The recoilless rifle especially feels like it should hit a lot harder considering it takes up a backpack slot. I'd also like to see the AMR be able to chip away at heavy armour.

Also I just played one of the new bot eradicate missions and goddamn they're so much fun now. The pubbies were absolutely losing their poo poo once they realised they couldn't just rely on mortars anymore and we started to get overrun. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

For me maybe the worst bugs to deal with are the small fuckers that jump at you because they can't be reliably kited, seem to come out of nowhere and deal a surprising amount of damage. and people always seem to underestimate them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I die in two robit shots in ultralight armor now

Still not taking it off though

Same. Light + shield pack and zoom around

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I think the bugs have part of their brain in their limbs it's cool and shouldn't be intuitive because they are aliens.

Please help I can't figure out how to kill chargers without railgun

https://streamable.com/cmlfpv

God, what a universe we'd be living in if this strategy were replicable and the devs saying "Just use your strategems!" turned out to mean this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Scoss posted:

Is all of the rancor about the balance patch just crybaby pants pissing or did they actually screw things up?

It's Reddit. You already know the answer.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

hey mom its 420 posted:

For me maybe the worst bugs to deal with are the small fuckers that jump at you because they can't be reliably kited, seem to come out of nowhere and deal a surprising amount of damage. and people always seem to underestimate them.

Oh my god, Hunters. I swear I die to them more than anything else. They're not terribly damaging, but if one or two get on top of you, especially during a swarm or while you're trying to reload, you're toast.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I don't care how many bile spewers or chargers there are on the field, Hunters are always my target priority #1.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Like my #1 cause of death vs bugs is a hunter leaping in front of my autocannon or impact grenade to either kill me directly or ragdoll me to get hit again and killed

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Section Z posted:

But I like being able to bring the AMR to robot missions without essentially trolling the team :saddowns: So hopefully any such thing doesn't become "Robocharger: gently caress your non-explosives"

They just need to make the Anti-material rifle mooooore anti-material

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Hunters have been the prime cause of my newbie voice comms erupting with "AH, AH, gently caress, gently caress OFF!" I've watched the little fuckers try to flank, repeatedly, and I still forget until I'm panic spazzing away from flying talons. :v:

I've been using the concussive assault rifle and saving up medals until I figure out what I want to work towards. I'm staring at the fire shotgun, but seems like general opinion for incendiary guns is lackluster? Probably doesn't matter long term.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Had a charger ragdoll me into a fern last night and the impact killed me. it ruled lol

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nordick posted:

Yeah I don't care how many bile spewers or chargers there are on the field, Hunters are always my target priority #1.

:same: I see you, you little shite, trying to scoot out onto the side and hit us from the flank…

Now stop dancing around and accept your liber-tea.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Waffle House posted:

Oh my god, Hunters. I swear I die to them more than anything else. They're not terribly damaging, but if one or two get on top of you, especially during a swarm or while you're trying to reload, you're toast.

Are there three types of hunters?

Tiny - dont know name
Medium - Pouncer
Large - Hunter?

It may just be two tbh and im conflating the tiny and medium together when its just small and larger

But also agreed. They suck and I hate them

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ZeusCannon posted:

Tiny - dont know name
Medium - Pouncer
Large - Hunter?

It may just be two tbh and im conflating the tiny ones names.

These guys:
https://helldivers.fandom.com/wiki/Hunter_(Helldivers_2)

They have variants called Stalkers that are tougher, bigger and can go semi-invisible

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ZeusCannon posted:

Tiny - dont know name
Medium - Pouncer
Large - Hunter?

I think the tiny to medium size ones are all hunters, the big ones are stalkers and are invisibo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ZeusCannon posted:

Tiny - dont know name
Medium - Pouncer
Large - Hunter?

hunters are the second smallest bug type

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Played around with the flamethrower against the bugs last night and yeah, it's really good at killing Chargers now and I even managed to kill a couple of Bile Titans after enough time. But I generally preferred my breaker to taking down the smaller stuff which seems completely backwards to me. For one thing it has a wind-up time before any flames start shooting out, it's hard to judge distance of the flames, and the smaller bugs can still leap at you when on fire. When combined with the wall of flames it made it much harder to see them about to leap at you.

Fire should probably have some kind of stagger or slowdown effect, even if it only affects the smaller bugs.

The flamethrower asks you a question: are they bunched up or spread out?

If they're spread out, then popping enemies individually with your primary is the better choice, because you're not in the situation where the flamethrower shines, which is 1) roasting chargers and 2) denying an area. On the other hand, are you watching bugs bunch up on the ramp out of a heavy nest, around a corner pathing into the extraction, or standing next to a breach that just opened? Then point the flamethrower at that area and get cooking.

For leaper bugs, I still take the Rover since anything the flamethrower doesn't get, it is likely to sweep up.

Dandywalken posted:

Same. Light + shield pack and zoom around

The best damage mitigation, in order of desirability, is:

1. Kill the source of the damage
2. Not be seen and shot at in the first place
3. Not get hit by what was shot at you

As such light armor remains king.

Baby T. Love posted:

God, what a universe we'd be living in if this strategy were replicable and the devs saying "Just use your strategems!" turned out to mean this.

When I say an EAT-17 can kill 3 chargers every 60 seconds, this is what I mean.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've definitely been killed by "Pouncer" before though. Wonder what that is then.

Edit: i really would like a bestiary in game some day. Thatd be cool.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ZeusCannon posted:

I've definitely been killed by "Pouncer" before though. Wonder what that is then.

Pouncer might be baby hunter 🤔

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So you're saying a baby killed me.

That seems accurate to my skill level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Pouncers are the tiny Hunter like scavengers, Hunters are the medium, then Stalkers are the large.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I like the baby hunters cuz when they jump its like skeet shooting

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao a robot started taking potshots at me, I saw an unexploded hellbomb near where I was running, then I got to watch helplessly as the robot's tracers inched slowly away from me and toward the bomb

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

They just need to make the Anti-material rifle mooooore anti-material
Classic mistake; it's an Anti-Materiel Rifle, meaning by definition it should be completely useless against bugs

ZeusCannon posted:

Edit: i really would like a bestiary in game some day. Thatd be cool.
There's a smaller hunter-like enemy that leaps and IIRC mostly disappears at higher difficulties. They're basically hunters with less HP and no tongue attack.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there a primary or a secondary that has armor pen that is decent? I'm thinking specifically about those brown armor plated shield bugs that square up on you.

I want to try the Stalwart some more, but it felt bad having trouble with those guys head on.

If that's true then good for them.

Ran into this video today that talks about armor and armor penetration in-depth. Thought it was useful enough to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XvsSQEx7Z0

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

hey mom its 420 posted:

arc thrower zaps these bastards out of the air and will cause their corpses to go flying out of your fov, very satisfying

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Insert name here posted:

Classic mistake; it's an Anti-Materiel Rifle, meaning by definition it should be completely useless against bugs

There's a smaller hunter-like enemy that leaps and IIRC mostly disappears at higher difficulties. They're basically hunters with less HP and no tongue attack.

They have the tongue attack but without knockback iirc

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dandywalken posted:

They have the tongue attack but without knockback iirc
Hunter tongue attack doesn't do knockback either; only the Stalker (invisible fuckers who suck :mad:) tongue attack does that.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Piell posted:

Like my #1 cause of death vs bugs is a hunter leaping in front of my autocannon or impact grenade to either kill me directly or ragdoll me to get hit again and killed

This one of the main reasons I started using the ARC against bugs. It chops them down like fields of wheat. It also doesn't care if they strafe or jump because if you just hit one near them they die anyway to the arc.

You can kill basically every small bug in a breach yourself and let teammates deal with chargers. It's so much fun.

(Sorry to all the teammates who cosplayed as wheat! Democracy, you know!)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Apes-A-Poppin posted:

7th difficulty feels just right enough, as has every difficulty thus far, imo they really succeeded in building the difficulty curve. I'd be happy staying on this level if 8 and 9 are just the same but with more hulks and tanks.

8/9 are mostly the same with more hulks/tanks but you also get another debilitating stratagem debuff

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
All Terminids.

Scavengers: Basic Tiny Bug.
Pouncer: Young Hunter.
Bile Spitter: Tiny Bug that spits.
Hunter: Stealthy Bug that sneaks on you.
Warrior: Basic larger bug.
Bile Warrior: Warriors that explode in bile when killed.
Hive Guard: Larger bug with armour.
Stalker: Larger Hunters that can camouflage and knock back.
Brood Commander: Big reddish bugs that are pretty tanky and relentless.
Bile Spewer: Big fat bugs that do as their name suggests.
Nursing Spewer: Weaker less armoured spewers that create a poison fog.
Chargers: you know and hate them.
Bile Titan: the biggest bug.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ran into this video today that talks about armor and armor penetration in-depth. Thought it was useful enough to share.

This is actually a really well presented video, thanks for posting this!

It's good to know that the presented numbers in game seem internally consistent and don't appear to be bullshit

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there a difference between the bile spewers that shoot arty and the lower difficulty ones? It feels like there are some bile spewers that arent armored in lower diffs but i might be wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZeusCannon posted:

Is there a difference between the bile spewers that shoot arty and the lower difficulty ones? It feels like there are some bile spewers that arent armored in lower diffs but i might be wrong.

Those are the nursing spewers.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The one thing I've been genuinely disappointed by so far is the lack of a chest bump emote :smith:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The one thing I've been genuinely disappointed by so far is the lack of a chest bump emote :smith:

Yeah, I could totally go for some over the top bro emotes from Army of Two.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

And the dedicated FOR DEMOCRACY button.
And a carriable flag.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Musluk posted:

And a carriable flag.

This is a huge miss, tbh.

Make the flag give some kinda bonus when you can see it, and make it a melee weapon for the carrier. Naturally it's a stratagem.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

I've only watched the Brood Commander section so far, but it's interesting that he shows that the Light Penetration Slugger can penetrate the head (Red X), while the Light Armor Penetration Breaker and Liberator cannot, and get damage reduction (White X), but doesn't bother taking this to the conclusion that the devs have already revealed, that Armor is on a 10-point scale and that Light Armor is a Range of numbers within that scale. I'd really like someone to try and get those specific 1-10 Armor and Pen numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Those are the nursing spewers.

Ok so the moment they go green they have armor etc i just didnt notice.