Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Apes-A-Poppin
Dec 3, 2015

Just more tanks and hulks (or chargers and titans) AND stratagem limits doesn't sound too fun, tho I do appreciate the process of really comparing your stratagems when you can take one less from time to time. New harder enemies with new takedown techniques would rule and here's to hoping it's what the devs are planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Baby T. Love posted:

I've only watched the Brood Commander section so far, but it's interesting that he shows that the Light Penetration Slugger can penetrate the head (Red X), while the Light Armor Penetration Breaker and Liberator cannot, and get damage reduction (White X), but doesn't bother taking this to the conclusion that the devs have already revealed, that Armor is on a 10-point scale and that Light Armor is a Range of numbers within that scale. I'd really like someone to try and get those specific 1-10 Armor and Pen numbers.

It's actually just a typo and the slugger penetrates medium armor. But yes it's a little silly he doesn't make the connection.

Really good video though, though the most valuable piece of info there is that blasting exposed fleshy bits on chargers with small arms DOES damage them?? That's a hell of a visual bug

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

johnny park posted:

It's actually just a typo and the slugger penetrates medium armor. But yes it's a little silly he doesn't make the connection.

Really good video though, though the most valuable piece of info there is that blasting exposed fleshy bits on chargers with small arms DOES damage them?? That's a hell of a visual bug

That's what I'm saying though, it's not a typo. The Slugger has the highest end of Light armor Pen, perhaps a Level 3, which gives it a White X (Damage reduced) against Armor of the same level. In the video you can see the head of the Brood Commander has the same level as the Slugger (White X), while Medium Armor Pen weapons get full damage (Red X). It's weird that he understands what the Xs mean and did testing to confirm what the Xs mean, but didn't talk about the multiple levels of Penetration within the Light Medium and Heavy categories.

The Devs confirmed this is how it works. It's been posted in this thread. I'll try to find it and edit this.

Here's the tweet.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 7, 2024

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah I know about the numbers but I'd argue that anything that doesn't bounce off medium armor is medium armor penetrating, even if it doesn't do full damage. So the slugger may be a 4 where the AMR is a 6 or whatever

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i love the new end mission screen

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Graphically it also seems to imply that if you can hit it hard enough when equal to the armor rating you can blow the armor off and effectively reduce it? That's what the Slugger seems to do

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

MonsterEnvy posted:

All Terminids.

Scavengers: Basic Tiny Bug.
Pouncer: Young Hunter.
Bile Spitter: Tiny Bug that spits.
Hunter: Stealthy Bug that sneaks on you.
Warrior: Basic larger bug.
Bile Warrior: Warriors that explode in bile when killed.
Hive Guard: Larger bug with armour.
Stalker: Larger Hunters that can camouflage and knock back.
Brood Commander: Big reddish bugs that are pretty tanky and relentless.
Bile Spewer: Big fat bugs that do as their name suggests.
Nursing Spewer: Weaker less armoured spewers that create a poison fog.
Chargers: you know and hate them.
Bile Titan: the biggest bug.

I didn't even realize I was shredding such a variety of things!

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

johnny park posted:

Yeah I know about the numbers but I'd argue that anything that doesn't bounce off medium armor is medium armor penetrating, even if it doesn't do full damage. So the slugger may be a 4 where the AMR is a 6 or whatever

Ah I see what you mean.

What's weird to me is that the Breaker can White X Brood Commander Heads, but Deflects against Hiveguard heads, so they can't have the same Armor Level.
But Slugger gets White X against both Brood Commander Heads and White X against Hiveguard heads, so they must have the same Armor Level.

Something else must be going on with Penetration beyond just the Pen number flat checking against the Armor number, or the White X must mean something else than "the Pen and Armor numbers match, damage reduced".

n/m, the Slugger gets Red X on Brood Commander Head.

e: So given that, the Slugger which is tagged "Light Armor Pen" penetrates (Red X) all Light Armor, which means it's Penetration value sits equal to the lowest value of Medium Armor, but it isn't considered Medium Armor Pen as it doesn't fully penetrate. So yeah I think that's the confusion. The starting value for Medium Armor Pen and Medium Armor are offset by 1 if the Slugger's Pen rating is not a typo.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 7, 2024

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Been wearing enforcer armor (the slightly heavier medium superstore armor that's white and blue colored) and it feels remarkably tanky against the robots. I know the 50% explosive resist perk was always effective against them but right now if a turret or devastator blasts near me I just get ragdolled with nary a scratch. Even direct hits don't deal that much damage I think, unless it's a headshot of course.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
The armor that lets you survive a lethal hit 50% of the time can let you survive overcharging the railgun or getting hit by a meteor.

The meteor hit breaks both arms, both legs, and gives you a chest wound if you survive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lol apparently the EAT and recoiless rifle were both buffed this patch and the devs just didn't say anything about it

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The changes they made in the patch and their attitude towards the highest difficulties puts me at ease that this will be a monkey paw wish fulfilled for those whining about the harder difficulties.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

BabelFish posted:

The armor that lets you survive a lethal hit 50% of the time can let you survive overcharging the railgun or getting hit by a meteor.

The meteor hit breaks both arms, both legs, and gives you a chest wound if you survive.

welp ive gotta experience this bc that rules

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

turn off the TV posted:

lol apparently the EAT and recoiless rifle were both buffed this patch and the devs just didn't say anything about it
What did they change? I put in some time with both of them post-patch but didn't notice a difference.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

BabelFish posted:

this made me laugh really hard

this game is great

also

how do i fix this?

it happens every time now and idk what started it or how to rid myself of it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Insert name here posted:

What did they change? I put in some time with both of them post-patch but didn't notice a difference.

apparently you could hit armor at a bad angle and only deal 50% damage with them and this is either greatly reduced or removed

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

BabelFish posted:

It can also save you when you've ragdolled into weird parts of the planet and clearly should be dead -- I got stuck inside a hill last night and had to blow myself up to get out. It rocks.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I waded through the brown reddit sea and actually found something good:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...hare&utm_term=1
Apparently you can now randomly find exosuits on the objective planet!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

BabelFish posted:

the meteor strike happened to me with the sick judge dredd DP armor and there's an achievement for breaking all your limbs at once lmao

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 7, 2024

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

This game is great but I am getting real tired of not being able to complete missions due to disconnects 75% of the time.

I've played with ports and my firewall, any suggestions?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Exodee posted:

drat this rules.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

quote:

In addition, we forgot to mention (oops) that the EAT-17 and Recoilless Rifle no longer suffer from a 50% damage decrease when hitting an armored enemy at a 'glance angle' that deflects the shot. Combined with the upcoming adjustment to health and spawn rates, this should make the larger enemies a bit less common, instead spawning more 'chaff' enemies to support them, and should allow players to bring these enemies down with a single well-placed shot. Hopefully this leads to less instances of endless kiting and players being left without any effective weaponry to kill harder enemies.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Exodee posted:

legit love this. awesome way to drip-feed content

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
as much fun as it is to cause chaos with clueless pubbies i'm not gonna lie it feels real good to get matched with a competent squad and just breeze through a mission no sweat

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

as much fun as it is to cause chaos with clueless pubbies i'm not gonna lie it feels real good to get matched with a competent squad and just breeze through a mission no sweat

I’m jealous since my experience with playing with pubbies after the patch has been negative. Last night my buddy invited me in a squad that had 2 pubbies. One of them was chill, and the other was this “I platinumed this game and the nerf is so bad, woe is me, I’m a bad player now” type of guy. Sure, we were doing a Level 8 mission,but this guy just kept whining about how his weapons don’t do anything, so he kept running into the mobs and dying. Told him that when the mechs and vehicles come, and new weapons it’ll be back to normal and also at these higher levels it is supposed to be a struggle. It’s OK to lose, it’s OK to die. We’re fleshy humans vs swarms of bugs.

We ended up extracting but used up all our reinforcements because of the whiner. We couldn’t kick him because he was the host, but seriously, gently caress that guy. Anyone who has maxed out their level and all the achievements/trophies and then just sits and whines about their meta load out being slightly less powerful can eat my whole rear end. I’m playing this game to shoot poo poo and maybe survive.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kawabata posted:

I totally agree with nerfing the heavies somewhat, spawning 2 tanks/bile titans on top of you while your stratagems are on cd is a surefire way to end a mission regardless of the team's skill level. If they don't want to nerf the heavies per se they at least need to look into how often they spawn in packs.
you can basically just kite bile titans endlessly, I have had missions where we just run away from 2+ of them for extended periods of time.
mind, anyone who can aim with a railgun can kill them with like 1-3 railgun shots to the face, so they shouldn't stick around that long even without stratagems, but still

Ringo Star Get posted:

I’m jealous since my experience with playing with pubbies after the patch has been negative. Last night my buddy invited me in a squad that had 2 pubbies. One of them was chill, and the other was this “I platinumed this game and the nerf is so bad, woe is me, I’m a bad player now” type of guy. Sure, we were doing a Level 8 mission,but this guy just kept whining about how his weapons don’t do anything, so he kept running into the mobs and dying. Told him that when the mechs and vehicles come, and new weapons it’ll be back to normal and also at these higher levels it is supposed to be a struggle. It’s OK to lose, it’s OK to die. We’re fleshy humans vs swarms of bugs.

We ended up extracting but used up all our reinforcements because of the whiner. We couldn’t kick him because he was the host, but seriously, gently caress that guy. Anyone who has maxed out their level and all the achievements/trophies and then just sits and whines about their meta load out being slightly less powerful can eat my whole rear end. I’m playing this game to shoot poo poo and maybe survive.
mfw breaker now has 3 less shots per mag and railgun takes 1 more shot to strip charger armor :qq:

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Exodee posted:

:hmmyes:

Add tesla trooper armor as well which makes you immune to electricity

Rubber shoes, in motion.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They suffered from what???

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Can any Helldivers 1 player explain how the mech and tanks worked?

Because in the last three pages there are several people mentioning how surely, with mechs and poo poo the game will be easier, and the higher difficulties won't be that hard with them. But... I doubt it works like that, that they are a straight upgrade to players powers, otherwise the game will turn into a mech game with all players always selecting one.
Surely they will have important tradeoffs in comparison with other options, like speed, being able to be hostigated by hordes until it falls into the ground, limited ammo, only 1 call, etc. From what we have seen of how these devs work and balance stuff in the game, I doubt is going to be that simple as four players with a mech each owning Titans easily.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Yo, is it just me or do eagle and orbital strikes destroy ammo cartons?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

apparently you could hit armor at a bad angle and only deal 50% damage with them and this is either greatly reduced or removed

EATs are my current Rambo solution for armor and bullshit towers, I use them a lot and haven't noticed any difference after the patch so far. For bugs at least you still need to make very well positioned shots to bring down chargers and titans in 2 hits. I'll have to try some offset shots on robot turret/tank weak spots.

Also, for me extracts have all pretty much been kiting hordes in circles this patch. Teams seem to be having trouble keeping up with Heavy/medium spam more often now.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 8, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

E: whoops I'm dumb, apparently I did not play HD1 during the time they had vehicles

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 8, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Because in the last three pages there are several people mentioning how surely, with mechs and poo poo the game will be easier, and the higher difficulties won't be that hard with them. But... I doubt it works like that, that they are a straight upgrade to players powers, otherwise the game will turn into a mech game with all players always selecting one.
Surely they will have important tradeoffs in comparison with other options, like speed, being able to be hostigated by hordes until it falls into the ground, limited ammo, only 1 call, etc. From what we have seen of how these devs work and balance stuff in the game, I doubt is going to be that simple as four players with a mech each owning Titans easily.

You’d pile the team into an APC, drive for twenty seconds and an illuminate wall ball would instantly destroy it, wiping the team and failing the mission

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Waffle House posted:

Yo, is it just me or do eagle and orbital strikes destroy ammo cartons?

They blow up the pods but the ammo itself should be fine, unless maybe it's getting flung somewhere by the blast.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

cant wait to pile into an APC then squad wipe bc meteor strike

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

If it works the way I’ve seen it said it worked in HD1, vehicles/mechs will take up a stratagem slot and be a “you only get one.” So if you call in your mech Stratagem and a Bot Tank blows it up, you don’t get to call in a second mech.

Also it likely has limited ammo and cannot be rearmed/reloaded.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

yeah, they were fine at easier difficulties but the single call in and general fragility made them a liability for groups doing more difficult runs.

plus you know... the weapons attached all had helldiver-portable versions that weren't single call in. a tank cannon is great and all but you can call massive air strikes on a whim.

their best use was as decoys. a tank or APC getting ripped up by bugs could be pretty useful in a clutch escape situation.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Someone spawned a mech and APC into a set of games I was in last night and let people grab them. I grabbed both. Mech had a lot of firepower with dual arm mounted armor piercing cannons and could pretty quickly demolish a charger by firing both cannons at its face to stunlock/kill it, but got messed up by a charge landing. Seemed very beefy and could easily massacre light and medium hordes. Didn't have time to figure out how much ammo it had given all the chargers and titans I was murdering at that point. Pretty easy to control, will be very strong for standup fights in a way that totally invalidates the manned turret.

APC was meh, turned like a boat, had trouble with many obstacles (because it turns like a boat). You have to manually shift gears and it failed to reverse when I tried (it was not very intuitive - they should cop handling and controls from War Thunder or something). Had two light machine guns in the back for passengers at least.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 8, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Serious answer: vehicles all had 1 use per mission, no way to refill ammo, were pretty fragile, and they lit on fire after a certain amount of damage which would rapidly destroy them, so it was pretty easy to lose them early. there was a repair gun support weapon that you really wanted someone to have to keep them alive and did make it a lot more reliable to hang onto them for most of a mission, but that means someone out of the vehicle without an offensive support weapon. they were very vulnerable to tank-tier enemies, but only two of the vehicles had serious antitank options, and one of those could only shoot in a narrow cone in front of it. honestly they were pretty hard to use on high difficulties other than the APC with an anti tank cannon. However, HD1 let you fill your stratagem slots with as many copies of the same thing as you wanted, so you could do goofy dumb poo poo like bringing 4 mechs and calling in another as soon as you lose one.

part of their disadvantages were specific to HD1 mechanics (being big and stuck on the same screen as everyone meant it was very easy to have a stratagem or hellpod land on a vehicle and instakill it), but I think those will just be replaced by challenges specific to HD2 (actual complex terrain).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

johnny park posted:

The big fleshy unarmored abdomens on large bugs (chargers, bile spewers) take 90% reduced damage from non-explosive weapons, so it takes a ton of bullets but only a few AC rounds or grenades to pop them there.