Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
A favourite picture I have is of my then four year old stepson sitting in his pjs on the kitchen counter, folding a drip filter to make it better fit the holder. :3:

Now, four years later, he makes his mother capuchinos. On a semi automatic sage/brevile Oracle, but still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
today's Johnny Harris video made me gag

yes, I know he's a CIA op, and yes, the video was sponsored by BetterHelp which is an objectively lovely company, but what bothered me was the part where he took a k-cup and put it in a mug, pouring steaming water from a kettle over it like some demented tea

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Finally got around to pulling the trigger on a Decent DE1Pro. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun for someone like myself who likes to tinker with variables. I'll also be curious to see how Scott Rao's new Filter 3.0 basket works out. Has anyone here tried Filter 3.0?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:unsmigghh:

A few weeks ago, my five year old very calmly and quietly came and woke me up at about 6:00 am and said "Daddy, can you help me please?" She had the little handheld milk frother completely wound up in her hair, all the way to the roots.

What did she do when you said no?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

small-ish question: with these brewing ratios for pourovers, say 30g/500g or what have you, does anyone just go for 30 grams into a grinder and not really mind the loss from retention from static (chaff, fines etc) or do you add a couple of beans extra to ensure precisely 30 grams out?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I find that it doesn't matter that much. Best to be consistent.

I do 25 g, 200 ml pour (90s) then 200 ml steep (60s) with the switch for a total brew time of 4 minutes. Between evaporation and retention that gives me a perfect fill for my 350 ml thermocup.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 3, 2024

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Well, you can add more but the best idea is to reduce retention where you can. Old grinds are going to have an effect, who knows how many get knocked into your new brew ..

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

small-ish question: with these brewing ratios for pourovers, say 30g/500g or what have you, does anyone just go for 30 grams into a grinder and not really mind the loss from retention from static (chaff, fines etc) or do you add a couple of beans extra to ensure precisely 30 grams out?

The exact quantity doesn’t change flow for pourover the way it does for espresso, so a gram or two won’t make a noticeable difference. If you have a big old-school commercial-style grinder that was designed to use a doser and retains several grams, it might make sense to measure output.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

right. might make sense to spare those couple of beans, instead of trying to anally make sure there’s exactly the right grams in the filter like i’m doing now, the . it doesn’t add that much in terms of waste since I handgrind, but a bean saved is a bean saved

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ulvir posted:

right. might make sense to spare those couple of beans, instead of trying to anally make sure there’s exactly the right grams in the filter like i’m doing now, the . it doesn’t add that much in terms of waste since I handgrind, but a bean saved is a bean saved

There's already coffee in the burrs etc, unless you're running the first ever beans through a grinder you'll get out very very close to what you put in. Where else would it go? If you put 30g of coffee into the hopper of a modern flat burr average retention grinder you'll get ~ 28.5g of that coffee and 1.5g of whatever was in the grinder from last time.

The reason people care about low retention is that the few grams of coffee you might get on a normal grinder as retention is from the last bean and grind settings you used the grinder with. If you're using the same beans for the same process it really doesn't matter that much. I would argue for pourover that even the same roast level of beans probably doesn't need much or any adjustment of grind size so you could ignore retention entirely if you're going between light roasts. I do!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Man. Bought a Profitec Go a few months back as an upgrade to my Robot/nanofoamer.

I’ve had some good shots and some pretty bad shots. It has been excellent for steaming milk and it’s much preferred to the nanofoamer lithium I was using-it’s great to not worry about charging the nanofoamer and microwaving the milk to then froth it for a while. Plus pulling a shot and cleaning up is pretty fast.

But, I’m selling the profitec. Today I did the biweekly backflush, cleaned all the puck screens and baskets, and figured maybe I should try the Robot since some beans I was using weren’t giving great results.

Robot gave me a perfect shot the first time. Didn’t even have to dial in (surprised because I was pulling the robot at 6 bar whereas the Go was doing 9 bar, so I figured I would have to grind coarser, but nope.

I typically pull an americano for my wife and a shot for me during the week, only doing a cortado or cappuccino for myself on the weekends, so I’ll miss the steaming, but not enough to stick with the semi automatic machine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

There's already coffee in the burrs etc, unless you're running the first ever beans through a grinder you'll get out very very close to what you put in. Where else would it go? If you put 30g of coffee into the hopper of a modern flat burr average retention grinder you'll get ~ 28.5g of that coffee and 1.5g of whatever was in the grinder from last time.

The reason people care about low retention is that the few grams of coffee you might get on a normal grinder as retention is from the last bean and grind settings you used the grinder with. If you're using the same beans for the same process it really doesn't matter that much. I would argue for pourover that even the same roast level of beans probably doesn't need much or any adjustment of grind size so you could ignore retention entirely if you're going between light roasts. I do!

You’re adding day+ old grinds to your coffee bed. It’s not more than like 5%, but we all know from experience that 5% change is certainly enough to affect flavor. And if 24 hours wasn’t enough to effect flavor once ground no one would be grinding every morning.

Lowering retention certainly helps with waste when changing grind size or bean because you don’t have to run new coffee though, but it’s not the only reason.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What did she do when you said no?

The alternative to not helping was a lot of screaming and a significant mess.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You’re adding day+ old grinds to your coffee bed. It’s not more than like 5%, but we all know from experience that 5% change is certainly enough to affect flavor. And if 24 hours wasn’t enough to effect flavor once ground no one would be grinding every morning.

Lowering retention certainly helps with waste when changing grind size or bean because you don’t have to run new coffee though, but it’s not the only reason.

It's also not a bit from the previous grind, it could be a dam of lovely old grinds from gently caress knows when that hit critical mass, came off the chute and is now in your brew.

That 1.5g might be all that's missing from one grind, but there's 6 or 7g worth of old poo poo in your grinder waiting to get forced out and displaced by new stuff. Takes very little to put a bellow on a grinder or give it a post-grind knock to improve quality.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh yeah. Manual JX-Pro is my daily driver, but I got a Cuisinart electric conical as a gift that gets used once a month or so for French Press. Every time I use it, I knock what I can out just by banging it on the counter at different angles, but still a month later when I pull it out there's a whole gram or more that has un-staticked and appeared in the catch cup.

Bellows are essential for high retention grinders.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

There's already coffee in the burrs etc,

no it isn’t. I clean the hand grinder after every use. which takes about the same time as the drawdown (v60) or steeping (aeropress)

ulvir fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 4, 2024

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

And if 24 hours wasn’t enough to effect flavor once ground no one would be grinding every morning.

Has anyone actually tested that though? There's a definitive link between time and staling, but it's meaningless if the difference is too small to be observed. And it feels like everything in coffee that isn't explicitly tested is something that someone decided, with or without testing, was best/true and everyone took for gospel from then on. Then years later, someone tests it and finds out whether it was bs all along or not. Plenty of examples of this in homebrewing, and apparently now in home espresso as well. Really any hobby.

That being said, you may as well grind daily if you grind at all, because it's not like it will be worse, and it should be more consistent.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

nwin posted:

Man. Bought a Profitec Go a few months back as an upgrade to my Robot/nanofoamer.

I’ve had some good shots and some pretty bad shots. It has been excellent for steaming milk and it’s much preferred to the nanofoamer lithium I was using-it’s great to not worry about charging the nanofoamer and microwaving the milk to then froth it for a while. Plus pulling a shot and cleaning up is pretty fast.

But, I’m selling the profitec. Today I did the biweekly backflush, cleaned all the puck screens and baskets, and figured maybe I should try the Robot since some beans I was using weren’t giving great results.

Robot gave me a perfect shot the first time. Didn’t even have to dial in (surprised because I was pulling the robot at 6 bar whereas the Go was doing 9 bar, so I figured I would have to grind coarser, but nope.

I typically pull an americano for my wife and a shot for me during the week, only doing a cortado or cappuccino for myself on the weekends, so I’ll miss the steaming, but not enough to stick with the semi automatic machine.

It’s funny because I’ve had the EXACT same experience with buying a Go after using a Robot for a couple years. I think a big problem for me is the need to use vastly different water in the Go (to prevent build up) vs the tap water I use for the Robot.

The Go is just much less consistent in general, which is the exact opposite of what I was expecting when going from a manual machine to a semi-automatic.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Wert tired of doing pour overs. What's the best bet for an automated machine that won't ruin everything? Is Zojirushi still good?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bishop Beo posted:

It’s funny because I’ve had the EXACT same experience with buying a Go after using a Robot for a couple years. I think a big problem for me is the need to use vastly different water in the Go (to prevent build up) vs the tap water I use for the Robot.

The Go is just much less consistent in general, which is the exact opposite of what I was expecting when going from a manual machine to a semi-automatic.

Yep. I can argue that maybe my puck prep is different from shot to shot or the grouphead is a slightly different temperature between shots or the puck screen is warmer/etc and that’s the reason for inconsistency, but I don’t face that with the robot. It’s just a good shot every time.

Admittedly, if I only made milk drinks I’d probably keep the Profitec.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Harold Fjord posted:

Wert tired of doing pour overs. What's the best bet for an automated machine that won't ruin everything? Is Zojirushi still good?

I believe a Technivorm Moccamaster is the go-to for a batch brewer? Maybe Bonavita as a cheaper option?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer here's the list. Brands have to pay the SCA for testing (on a recurring basis? I've noticed some brands fall off), so it's not necessarily definitive, but it's a reasonable place to get started. The OXO 8-cup model is best cheapest IMO, Technivorm are more expensive but are evergreen.

we should really get around to updating the OP at some point

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
Do any of y'all have experience with freshroastedcoffee.com as far as coffee subscriptions? I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm curious specifically about that one because they have Huehuetenango, which has been one of my favorites.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

hypnophant posted:

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer here's the list. Brands have to pay the SCA for testing (on a recurring basis? I've noticed some brands fall off), so it's not necessarily definitive, but it's a reasonable place to get started. The OXO 8-cup model is best cheapest IMO, Technivorm are more expensive but are evergreen.

we should really get around to updating the OP at some point

That list has grown a lot in the last several years. It used to just be one model from each manufacturer and the theory was that other similar models were probably also good because they would have the same guts, but I guess manufacturers realized that paying to get other models certified was worth it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

amenenema posted:

I believe a Technivorm Moccamaster is the go-to for a batch brewer? Maybe Bonavita as a cheaper option?

Having owned both, the Wilfa Performance is much more pleasurable to use then the Moccamaster and the tech seems to have been modestly improved across the board. While the Moccamaster makes good coffee I would only pick it over the Wilfa if you really love the look of it.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

thotsky posted:

Having owned both, the Wilfa Performance is much more pleasurable to use then the Moccamaster and the tech seems to have been modestly improved across the board. While the Moccamaster makes good coffee I would only pick it over the Wilfa if you really love the look of it.

Good to know!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

thotsky posted:

the moccamaster has used the same brewing technology since like the 70s. it brews one specific way and is not adjustable at all but is rock solid reliable. that's part of its sales pitch and if you want "features" or "modernity" you're just not the target market

new to me though is that you can now get the wilfa uniform https://www.lardera.com/wilfa-uniform-grinder.html and wilfa performance https://www.lardera.com/wilfa-performance-coffeemaker.html in the US in 120v, from a shop i've never heard of. which is kind of nice! the wilfa uniform seems like a nice grinder at its price point.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Wilfa Performance has a similar minimalist approach, but every part feels that slight bit tighter. I think they're targeting the exact same demo aside from traditional vs modern styling.

The Wilfa Uniform can be had extremely cheaply when it is on sale over here. It performs way better than what you would expect for the price. However, it is slow and very loud. Not an enjoyable combination in the morning or when having company over.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Has anyone tried the Pureover?

https://pureover.com/

I wonder how this performs, I bet it has to be pretty coarse and a bit grainy...

I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with this thing

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

People generally aren't happy with filterless pourover. I'd be happy if someone came up with a way to make it work but I'm not gonna be a beta tester for $90

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Anyone here have a Eureka Mignon (specialita)? Just got a new one and the screen turns on and is responsive, but pressing the grind button does nothing and the motor never engages. Tried 3 different outlets, with/without beans touching the burr, etc.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Anyone here have a Eureka Mignon (specialita)? Just got a new one and the screen turns on and is responsive, but pressing the grind button does nothing and the motor never engages. Tried 3 different outlets, with/without beans touching the burr, etc.

This is dumb, but you flipped on the power switch on the side, ya?

I have a manuale so no screen, but that’s the way it behaves when that switch is off.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

This is dumb, but you flipped on the power switch on the side, ya?

I have a manuale so no screen, but that’s the way it behaves when that switch is off.

yep! I'm emailing their tech support now and sent a video. I can't find any examples of this behavior online because the touch screen lights up and works just fine, it just feels like the grind button and dial are not attached to anything...

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

A lot of grinders have a dead-man's switch so it won't run if the hopper isn't in place, and sometimes a hopper can shift enough that it slips off the switch but still looks like it's properly in place. Try removing and re-installing the hopper if you haven't already.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

bizwank posted:

A lot of grinders have a dead-man's switch so it won't run if the hopper isn't in place, and sometimes a hopper can shift enough that it slips off the switch but still looks like it's properly in place. Try removing and re-installing the hopper if you haven't already.

Good idea. Tried that too with no luck. The espresso machine remains untouched next to it, laughing at my pain.

Maybe I’ll try my first shot with grounds from my coffee grinder :q:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Does the motor not buzz? Maybe your burrs are touching....

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Looking at the Stagg Pro because I think my second Bonavita is failing (got years out of it, so pretty happy) and I'm in a place to upgrade. Fellow has a deal on their Opus and Stagg Pro if I get em both. How is the Opus regarded? I feel like for $300 for the stagg pro AND an Opus, that would be a good enough upgrade over my Bonavita and Capresso Infinity. I basically just brew out of a v60/switch, chemex, and aeropress. But, I do rarely brew mokapot and french press if I have guests that want that.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I like the opus but it's not really that much of a leap over the Baratza encore esp.

It's better looking but still plastic with some static issues that are hard to overcome.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I like the opus but it's not really that much of a leap over the Baratza encore esp.

It's better looking but still plastic with some static issues that are hard to overcome.

The static issue is sort of my hang up. But I had static issues with the capresso (I live in the desert and it is very dry and static-y here) until I started giving it a spritz of water before grinding. I'm not completely sold on the fellow stagg, either. I've got decision paralysis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Does the motor not buzz? Maybe your burrs are touching....

Nah, motor does not engage at all. Support gave me the go ahead to take the bottom off, tried reseating the cable from the grind button to the baseboard but no luck. I can’t get to the cables that are connecting to the button without more disassembly so I guess I’ll just wait for an rma tag.

Not a great start into this drat hobby!