Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

me irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmoKEgPXkds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I remember reading so many fake power level lists.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Toriyama nearly singlehandedly reshaped the manga and anime landscape. Without Toriyama, anime probably wouldn't have made it to the west to nearly the same degree and we certainly wouldn't have gotten Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, etc.

Would it be unfair to compare his influence and cultural impact to Tolkien's? Maybe.

Either way, we all lost an absolute titan. I'll be crying myself to sleep listening to some Cha-La Head-Cha-La.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

:(

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

man, I don't think I know many guys around my age who doesn't have the entire run of Dragon Ball stored in a box somewhere. I would probably have been way less of a nerd if not for Toriyama. RIP, you bastard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Toriyama nearly singlehandedly reshaped the manga and anime landscape. Without Toriyama, anime probably wouldn't have made it to the west to nearly the same degree and we certainly wouldn't have gotten Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter, etc.

Would it be unfair to compare his influence and cultural impact to Tolkien's? Maybe.

Either way, we all lost an absolute titan. I'll be crying myself to sleep listening to some Cha-La Head-Cha-La.

It would definitely be unfair to say it is comparable in the anglosphere, but I dunno about South America. I haven't heard of people painting murals of Aragorn and poo poo, or the absolute fantacism that fans of Dragon Ball have there. DB was so incredibly global.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

holy crap
RIP

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
a perfect depiction of an entire generation of boys after watching DBZ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEoIFivvNIA

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I still have all my old DBZ figures that Irwin put out. I need to find a shelf to put them on.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 8, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i didn't have access to the internet for most of my childhood and no access to cable TV at home, and the greatest joy i had back then was the several times a week i'd get to visit my grandmother's and watch dubbed DBZ on a 12" TV

rest in peace, mr. toriyama

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rest In Power Over 9000

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
DBZ wasn't as much a part of my childhood as others here but I still clearly remember watching teen gohan. God this sucks so much.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I taught myself to draw thanks to pirated and poorly translated 2-colour gif scans of the original DBZ manga that I got off of some long defunct dragonball fan forum in like 1998. RIP.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I remember randomly finding out DBZ was syndicated (at like 6 am on a local channel, KCAL9?) because I was up early for my middle school student job.

Why the gently caress was I taping poo poo that early? Was I trying to catch Ronin Warriors?

gently caress if i know, but after working a public sanitation job, getting home, showering and watching 2 episodes of DBZ were my middle schooler version of pizza and beers.

I sat through the End of Snake Way Reset 3 times! Then he got to Namek and fought Recoome and it fuckin reset again!. I went to vacation in Mexico and what the gently caress they're fighting some Teens and a bug man?!

poo poo was wild.
I was the weird kid that liked Sailor Moon and remembered what the gently caress Robotech was. Then DBZ came around on Toonami and suddenly everyone knew who Goku was.

How the gently caress did *i* know who Goku was? Anime around that time was just this weird vat of cultural osmosis. Sailor Moon, Ranma, Saint Seiya? You just kind of found this poo poo and took it into you.

What a goddamn legacy this man left. Created a Superman for the modern age. loving hell man.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 8, 2024

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I remember being in middle school when the Toonami dubs of Z were airing and it was probably one of the few topics pretty much everyone in any class I was in could shoot the poo poo about. All of my friends watched it, it’s hard to think of any other cultural phenomenon at the time that had such a wide appeal.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
DBZ was absolutely the one thing that every kid was into.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

DBZ was absolutely the one thing that every kid was into.

It was the one thing I remember that brought the white and Hispanic kids together at my high school. It seemed to be a pretty common occurrence at other schools judging from a lot of posts I’m seeing tonight. I wonder if Toriyama was even aware of that aspect DB had in America.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

When I was a kid my dad started a business that was getting delivery services set up for restaurants that didn't have it. He'd provide drivers and take a cut of the sales. Often times my dad would do deliveries himself and I would ride shotgun. One restaurant my dad did work for was this Chinese restaurant called "Shangri-La." They had great sesame chicken. I was maybe... 10? There was this little kid who was the son of the restaurant owner. Sometimes he would help work and sometimes he'd just play games. I was always interested when he was playing games so we'd talk even though there was a language barrier. One time I saw him reading and I was a pretty voracious reader as a kid, so I was instantly interested.

It was a magazine, entirely in Spanish, for Dragon Ball GT.

I pointed to the pictures and he happily showed them to me. Then he just said "done" and handed me the book. He wanted me to take it. So I did. I took that magazine home and literally read it until the covers fell off. Note: I don't think either of us spoke Spanish.

It had all this awesome art and profiles and power rankings. It had art from all three series. GT came out that year so it must have been the new hotness but it had everything. I remember seeing Janemba prominent - which caused me to buy that movie on VHS bootleg at the mall. t was really the first DB thing I can remember interacting with. I didn't even piece together that it was the same guy who had worked on my favorite game, Chrono Trigger.

Thinking on that, I'm struck by the reach Toriyama had with his work even then. A kid from America and a kid from China shared a magazine from Spain about this wonderful Japanese cartoon. And we lapped it up.

I don't remember the kid's name. The restaurant closed a decade ago. My dad died when I was 16.

But I'm really glad I got to read that book.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRRlZOWcwUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7KoxmQBTv4

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Hard to say. They're both genre-defining masters but Tolkien's probably more influential in the sense that his genre is way wider-reaching. In terms of their names and individual works, though, I can confidently say that Tolkien can suck Toriyama's dragon balls . Man didn't draw a manga, he penned a phenomenon. One that became a cultural cornerstone in Latin America and other poor parts of the world on account of anime being cheap to license and airing on public television. Not every mexican child at the time was fortunate enough to knowa how to read and have a good education, but they probably did have access to Canal Cinco. Probably the same reason it's so big in Brazil and other similar countries as well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Move well, study well, play well, eat well, rest well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rip Toriyama. I remember growing up wathcing dbz before school, and getting really invested in dumb geocities sites to learn about Dragonball and GT which hadnt aired here yet after some kid at school talked about them and no one believed him.

loving pillar of my childhood man.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

When I was a kid my dad started a business that was getting delivery services set up for restaurants that didn't have it. He'd provide drivers and take a cut of the sales. Often times my dad would do deliveries himself and I would ride shotgun. One restaurant my dad did work for was this Chinese restaurant called "Shangri-La." They had great sesame chicken. I was maybe... 10? There was this little kid who was the son of the restaurant owner. Sometimes he would help work and sometimes he'd just play games. I was always interested when he was playing games so we'd talk even though there was a language barrier. One time I saw him reading and I was a pretty voracious reader as a kid, so I was instantly interested.

It was a magazine, entirely in Spanish, for Dragon Ball GT.

I pointed to the pictures and he happily showed them to me. Then he just said "done" and handed me the book. He wanted me to take it. So I did. I took that magazine home and literally read it until the covers fell off. Note: I don't think either of us spoke Spanish.

It had all this awesome art and profiles and power rankings. It had art from all three series. GT came out that year so it must have been the new hotness but it had everything. I remember seeing Janemba prominent - which caused me to buy that movie on VHS bootleg at the mall. t was really the first DB thing I can remember interacting with. I didn't even piece together that it was the same guy who had worked on my favorite game, Chrono Trigger.

Thinking on that, I'm struck by the reach Toriyama had with his work even then. A kid from America and a kid from China shared a magazine from Spain about this wonderful Japanese cartoon. And we lapped it up.

I don't remember the kid's name. The restaurant closed a decade ago. My dad died when I was 16.

But I'm really glad I got to read that book.

This story is beautiful mate.

Antipode
Aug 8, 2008

Blackguard:
The Inverse Gentleman
Well poo poo, see you in the stars old man.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's to a legend, rest in power

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This sucks. Like a whole bunch.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Nessus posted:

Move well, study well, play well, eat well, rest well.

Failing that; Push-Ups, Sit-Ups, and Plenty of Juice.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

they want shady posted:

Hard to say. They're both genre-defining masters but Tolkien's probably more influential in the sense that his genre is way wider-reaching. In terms of their names and individual works, though, I can confidently say that Tolkien can suck Toriyama's dragon balls . Man didn't draw a manga, he penned a phenomenon. One that became a cultural cornerstone in Latin America and other poor parts of the world on account of anime being cheap to license and airing on public television. Not every mexican child at the time was fortunate enough to knowa how to read and have a good education, but they probably did have access to Canal Cinco. Probably the same reason it's so big in Brazil and other similar countries as well.

Toriyama might not beat Tolkien if he had only ever done Dragon Ball, but adding Dragon Quest (and everything else he did!) easily puts him over the top. Obviously he isn't the only one responsible for Dragon Quest's success, but his work on that alone would make him among the most influential artists of the modern era. Video games are a completely different art form without that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The greatest to ever do it. I can’t sleep. This is loving me up.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
rip to a real one

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Woke up in the middle of the night to get some water and heard this news. Don't even know what to think. Sorrowful days

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

The character arc of Vegeta is one of my favorites of all time in fiction. From the Saiyan saga to blowing himself up in the Buu saga. Hell, there are so many great characters through the entire series. I just recently started rewatching Z after finishing Super. This is such a huge loss.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
drat. I was in the Endless Toonami Reset period as a child. Distinctly remember asking my mother how people could shoot laser blasts through their gloves.

Interestingly enough, the part I most remember is Frieza murking everyone with one finger - death beaming Piccolo and Vegeta, and psychically exploding Krillin - rather than Goku then going Super and the smackdown thereof. Frieza's still my favourite character, too.

RIP to a pillar of my childhood.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I remember flipping channels on the TV after school and randomly flipping to cartoon explosions and people putting aliens through the walls of bug-shaped houses.. I randomly tuned in during the middle of the Namek saga, but I was completely hooked.

It's even more surreal that I'm playing FF7Rebirth and I just saw the comparison with FF7 Cloud and Teen Gohan. Dude's reach can't be understated.

In conclusion, Heaven has another angel for its inexplicably frequent martial arts tournaments.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Capfalcon posted:

I remember flipping channels on the TV after school and randomly flipping to cartoon explosions and people putting aliens through the walls of bug-shaped houses.. I randomly tuned in during the middle of the Namek saga, but I was completely hooked.

It's even more surreal that I'm playing FF7Rebirth and I just saw the comparison with FF7 Cloud and Teen Gohan. Dude's reach can't be understated.

In conclusion, Heaven has another angel for its inexplicably frequent martial arts tournaments.

Final Fantasy doesn't exist without Toriyama. Or at least, not without Dragon Quest being the massive hit it was, and I feel comfortable placing a big part of that as Toriyama's work. His influence is impossible to overstate

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
drat. I’d say even my internet life would be wholly different if it wasn’t for Dragonball. Literally the only anime that wasn’t Pokémon that was actually properly broadcast where I live.

68 is way to soon.

All our childhood heroes are dying.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I just finished watching dragon ball super a week or so ago. Can't believe this, RIP :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

they want shady posted:

On top of this though, Tolkien probably wins in a more generalized, ambiguous sense i.e. he basically created Western High Fantasy as we know it, so without him, no D&D, no Game of Thrones, probably no Harry Potter I'd imagine, etc.

But in terms of iconography? I reckon Goku might literally be one of the most recognizable fictional characters in the world in any medium worldwide to anyone born after, oh, 1987 at least? Maybe a bit earlier?

they want shady
May 11, 2013

chrome line posted:

Toriyama might not beat Tolkien if he had only ever done Dragon Ball, but adding Dragon Quest (and everything else he did!) easily puts him over the top. Obviously he isn't the only one responsible for Dragon Quest's success, but his work on that alone would make him among the most influential artists of the modern era. Video games are a completely different art form without that.

You're right. If we count Dragon Quest Toriyama owns twice as hard because, while he wasn't directly involved with Dai no Daiboken, one of the two animes mexican Gen Xrs respect is "las aventuras de Fly" lol and all of Dragon Quest took care to respect his aesthetic (the other was Mazinger Z in case you're curious).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't even know what to say. Dragon Ball was the first anime I ever really got into and something I've been happy to carry in my heart my whole life since. And 68 is far too soon, the man wasn't even remotely done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If your resume only had Dragon Ball on it, you'd be considered one of the best to have ever done it.

You add Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger and it's like bro you gotta leave it a bit open to debate.

There's no character designer who even comes close to his level, and that's not including the writing, panelling and other artistic aspects he was untouchable at.