Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would think that the aggressive prosyletization would be more important to the expansion of mormon influence rather than raw breeding and reproduction.

Have you seen how many grandkids Mitt Romney has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/Jefferies_/status/1762227703946608992

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:nice:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Dudes rock

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
the mormons. they just keep coming. a map:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Cocaine use?

E: didn't read text, thought we were doing guess the legend

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I recently watched a very cool film, Unrest, which features anarchist maps without borders but with local place names as a relatively major plot point. You can read about it in The Economist. However, I can't find any images of these maps or indeed much discussion of them online. Did they exist? What did they look like? Kropotkin's Wikipedia page doesn't help much.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would think that the aggressive prosyletization would be more important to the expansion of mormon influence rather than raw breeding and reproduction.

I was going to joke that every Mormon I’ve ever known has a minimum of three kids and it’s actually not too far off according to the one study I found that shows Mormons in the US aged 35 to 45 have an average of 2.8 children. All other groups besides Muslims were way below that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's remarkably high, yeah, especially when you consider that some percentage of them don't have kids at all due to infertility and (presumably) some being unable or unwilling to find a partner. I don't know how homosexuality even plays in with Mormons, but in a sane world that would also bring them lower than 2.8.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Perhaps Japan and Korea should make soaking mandatory.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Attempting to Google an actual cocaine map got me this

Belgium is at it once again.

And now actual cocaine maps

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought Antwerp would be #1 for sure, but maybe they rightfully don't consider it to be a proper city

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I presume that the Germans prefer speed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I presume that the Germans prefer speed.
Germans are too poor for cocaine.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I feel like coke usage in the UK is probably highest among people in their 40s so this map might actually be making us look better than we are.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I feel like coke usage in the UK is probably highest among people in their 40s so this map might actually be making us look better than we are.

I'd like to see a regional heat map. The City Of London burning like a dark star.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

soviet elsa posted:

And now actual cocaine maps

Luxembourg is looking suspiciously low for a finance center. I guess it being populated largely by Portuguese might bring it down, but still seems oddly low for the region.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Saladman posted:

Luxembourg is looking suspiciously low for a finance center. I guess it being populated largely by Portuguese might bring it down, but still seems oddly low for the region.

the people working in finance might not live in actual Luxembourg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

smh if you dont flush a gram of coke every day

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Germans are too poor for cocaine.
Why bother when you can just get plentiful Pervitin from Czechia.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

I always thought that is just what meth was called by the cold war governments. Is it different in some way?

e:

Wikipedia posted:

Pervitin, an early form of methamphetamine, was widely used in Nazi Germany and was available without a prescription.

Ah okay, it's the Nazis who came up with it. Kindof weird to use that name when you have your soldiers using it though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Mar 8, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a brand name cos it was a commercial product.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It's a brand name cos it was a commercial product.

wasn't heroin too a brand name?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that was Bayer's brand name for diacetylmorphine.
And Permonid was Roche's brand name for krokodil, but that never caught on.

Pervitin helped win WW2 by making Hitler increasingly irrational and useless though, so the name stuck around during the later decades,

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Be serious. Czech meth is notoriously expensive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Denmark:

Belgium:

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

It is not purely coke but

What is happening in Liverpool?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
2009/10 was the height of the mephedrone craze, which really took off in Liverpool and Manchester.

It actually led to a significant reduction in stimulant related deaths, because people were being admitted to hospital rather than just dying.

Then they banned it based on tabloid lies about scrotal centipedes and people switched back to cocaine or the new worse legal highs and just started dying again.

prohibitionism dot png

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

prohibitionism dot png

That graph is obviously caused by loosening marijuana laws, which lead people directly on the path to shooting fentanyl into their eyeball veins.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
OK now do Scotland.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The three categories; sex, england and wales.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

MeinPanzer posted:

OK now do Scotland.

I thought that was a gag and was like "yeah sure I've seen Trainspotting too" but oh, gently caress

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

MeinPanzer posted:

OK now do Scotland.
Same deal but worse, but still with reduced deaths during the years when mephedrone was popular and still legal.

As per the UK thread, the ban was a complete joke and an abuse of the scientific method on par with politicians being antivax or engaging in HIV/Aids denialism.

Guavanaut posted:

Alan Johnson's clown show ban of mephedrone (riddled with typos, with half the ACMD quitting in disgust, and done with no actual analysis of the harms entirely to appease the media circus) was my top reason for not voting Labour in 2010.

The British Medical Journal posted:

I used to work for the council and have intimate knowledge of all its reports produced since 2001, and the mephedrone report showed a marked decline in quality from previous studies.
For example, no data on purity were available, and the epidemiology was in part based on an article for the magazine New Musical Express.
Data on prevalence were derived from a survey conducted by the dance music magazine Mixmag and the number of hits on the https://www.talktofrank.com drug information website.
More members of the council (Eric Carlin and Polly Taylor) resigned in protest at being asked to be party to this. Carlin, former chief executive of the mental health charity Mentor UK, complained about the formulation of the report.

Just absolute complete poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJceGMH8V8

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

holy moly thats impressive, both the numbers there and the shittiness of the response

e: reminds me, back in 2022 there was a whole thing about Fredericia being the danish capital of opioid abuse (even the mayor was on them), lots of articles that reference a report that their numbers were double other danish municipalities, but I cant find it or specific numbers anywhere.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 8, 2024

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

Same deal but worse, but still with reduced deaths during the years when mephedrone was popular and still legal.

hey now, things got slightly better in the most recently measured year! though this was after getting a lot worse so it's still worse than 2017:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

soviet elsa posted:

I thought that was a gag and was like "yeah sure I've seen Trainspotting too" but oh, gently caress

What’s going on in Sweden? I have Swedish family visiting NYC now and they’re very surprised by the amount of weed here these days. In Sweden it seems like they still treat it as a horrible drug. I see very little sign of heavy drug use when I visit there but I’m probably not in the right places to witness much.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks to the inflexible view of both regular Swedes and the police, courts etc. drug users in Sweden learn quickly never to seek any help, since it should be assumed that all the different agencies speak to each other and to the police about everything. For example, the same week you call a number you see on tv about helping you quit opiates you'll get a letter from the transportation department informing you that your driver's licence has been revoked. This actually happened to an ex girlfriend of mine, though it was in Norway rather than Sweden, but I'd expect the same to happen here.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

wasn't heroin too a brand name?

Indeed it was, owned by Bayer and marketed as a goddamn cough medicine.

Bayer lost the trademark on Heroin in the Treaty of Versailles as part of Germany's reparations after World War 1.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
They lost Aspirin in the same deal. Still have Lycetol, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Indeed it was, owned by Bayer and marketed as a goddamn cough medicine.
Heroin is just more efficient opium, so that makes sense. Unfortunately, the nanny state has decided even that's not allowed, so you can't get the delicious over-the-counter opium syrup anymore here in Denmark. The '90s truly were the peak of civilization.