Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the smuggling bit was , for me, the only genuinely underexplained bit in the whole movie
I agree with that. It felt a bit weird to have Paul and the Fremen still attack and destroy the harvester, even though Paul had supposedly recognized him.

Something like: "Nice to see you old friend! Sorry about destroying your harvester and killing a good chunk of the crew you were so chummy with. Anyway, up for killing some Harkonnen?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I thought it was kinda lame that Gurney’s still alive. It felt really ballsy in the first movie to have a prominent character played by a big-name actor basically die off screen. Instead he returns with a sucky explanation for how he eluded death and exists only to locate the nukes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you're not into characters improbably returning then you're better off tapping out of the series here lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Vegetable posted:

I thought it was kinda lame that Gurney’s still alive. It felt really ballsy in the first movie to have a prominent character played by a big-name actor basically die off screen. Instead he returns with a sucky explanation for how he eluded death and exists only to locate the nukes.

It's a book thing- Seemlar's explanation a few posts back takes away the lameness.

Anyway. The sheer whimsy of that sail-driven spice miner! Just give me a movie about that and I'll be happy.

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you're not into characters improbably returning then you're better off tapping out of the series here lol

LOLOL

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

lmao

vv (later books spoiler) vv

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh one genuine continuity error I noticed on the second watch is Chani and the Fremen popping out of the sand to attack the Emperor's palace -- they're the attackers in this one! How did they bury themselves right in front of the Sardaukar army without being noticed???

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Failed Imagineer posted:

:lol:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh one genuine continuity error I noticed on the second watch is Chani and the Fremen popping out of the sand to attack the Emperor's palace -- they're the attackers in this one! How did they bury themselves right in front of the Sardaukar army without being noticed???

because Paul foresaw where and when the emperor would land, before the sardaukar arrived

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A small suitcase containing a personal shield generator, a laser gun, and a timed trigger mechanism for both.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

kalel posted:

because Paul foresaw where and when the emperor would land, before the sardaukar arrived

Chani has scenes right before that!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

:laugh:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Chani has scenes right before that!

oh yeah lol. maybe they tunneled under the ground like some kind of sand moles

the actual reason is to retroactively maintain visual fidelity with Paul's vision in the first film, which itself was probably there just to have an action scene to put in the trailer

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
The original Dune book was really good and a masterpiece of mid 20th century SF. The other books it seems were....quite less so. Maybe for the time they were considered good, but are they aging well?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
No they suck rear end

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cimber posted:

The original Dune book was really good and a masterpiece of mid 20th century SF. The other books it seems were....quite less so. Maybe for the time they were considered good, but are they aging well?
It's hard to separate criticisms of their writing from people being disappointed about the direction the story goes.

Imo book 3 is pretty stupid, but 1-4 all together form a surprisingly cohesive arc that follows through really well on the hints in the first book. After 4 it gets weirder and dumber and there's more baffling sex ideas and then the son takes over and just no

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cimber posted:

Opinions of someone who's read the original Dune multiple times over the years but only tackled the sequels recently:

Dune Messiah is pretty great (though, like most of the Dune books, a lot less action heavy than the first, which leads me to wonder how satisfying the third movie is going to be really).

Children of Dune is hit or miss but has its moments.

God Emperor of Dune is loving WEIRD in the best way, definitely worth reading this far in the series IMO.

I'm about 100 pages into Chapterhouse right now and that one and Heretics are both pretty bad but entertaining enough if you're still jonesing for more Dune past God Emperor.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Cimber posted:

Messiah finishes out the themes set up in Dune (and it isn't subtle at all about them). It's a good coda and a good wrap-up for Paul's story and the consequences of his actions, and the themes still have a lot of weight today in my opinion.
Children of Dune is pretty absurd, and while the plot sets up God Emperor, I think it's skippable. There isn't a lot of meat on the bones of that story.
God Emperor is bonkers in every way, but it's more of a philosophy text than an actual novel. It does a good job of wrapping up the Atreides story. I liked it much more than Messiah or Children of Dune, but I've never had an urge to re-read it.

I stopped there and I'm glad I did. Everything following just sounds terrible.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 8, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Movie/Messiah spoiler I noticed some chunky Matrix parallels in this movie. Morpheus and Stilgar are a very similar character now. Chani brings Paul back to life on a technical prophecy similar to how Trinity brings back Neo. (Matrix Revolutions cribbed from Dune in making the protagonist go blind (but still see) before the end of his arc, so I mean I guess that's fair.) Wondering if anyone here caught any other parallels or if I'm just seeing things.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 8, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The sad thing about the Sci fi tv series not continuing past the second is that we never get to see James mcavoy as a millenia year old worm

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Really creeped out at all the press outlets who are calling Feyd-Rautha 'hot' and 'sexy'. I am do not find many men or women or anything sexy, so that might be part of it. And I could be kink shaming. But I don't think it's that.

Get you a hairless, deathly pale barely-human looking guy who dresses like the grim reaper, talks in a mezzo-soprano with a wrench stuck in the windpipe, and loves nothing more than murder? That's our type now?

The actor is hot. But the character he plays isn't lol

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Bright Bart posted:

Really creeped out at all the press outlets who are calling Feyd-Rautha 'hot' and 'sexy'. I am do not find many men or women or anything sexy, so that might be part of it. And I could be kink shaming. But I don't think it's that.

Get you a hairless, deathly pale barely-human looking guy who dresses like the grim reaper, talks in a mezzo-soprano with a wrench stuck in the windpipe, and loves nothing more than murder? That's our type now?

He's by far the horniest character of the cast, has several scenes showing off his abs and the Harkonnens have that BDSM aesthetic going on. Guess people resonate with that.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Bright Bart posted:

Not a fan of the "We have Cenobites at home" aesthetics?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fuckboy Voldemort

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Goth Engineer

Edit: hey wait a second Jon Spaights wrote on this and he also wrote on Prometheus. What does he have for pale bald guys

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
God-Emperor is easily the second best book in the series but it's also deeply weird.

Heretics and Chapterhouse are stupid but I found them very fun if you are willing to just roll with it. In some ways them being so catastrophically horny is the most interesting thing about them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

👅🔪

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sort of in parallel with someone likeCS Lewis becoming more super religious as he aged with his writing- Herbert got more H O R N Y

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Finally saw dunc2 last night and I think I liked it more than the first one. The changes in the first movie removed a lot of the intrigue that made the first half of the book so appealing, and it's kind of the opposite for this one. The pacing is bizarre, though, there are a lot of parts where it really feels like they just deleted a chunk of video in the editing software and, much like the book, it somehow feels both protracted and rushed.

It's also a shame that we didn't get more psychedelic imagery in this one, but I think I've come to accept that Villeneuve doesn't have it in him (and to be fair the first book is pretty plain outside of the wormdrugs moments - the Harkonnen Nazi-Giger-Olympics stylings were a welcome addition). It almost feels like there's a pathological fear of alienating the audience or of calling too much attention to the Lynch film. I appreciated the Blue Velvet callback with the ants in the ear, though.

One note I appreciated was just how funny this movie is, our audience was laughing consistently throughout. Chani blasting that guy point-blank with a giant rocket, lol. The reveal of the Fremen all riding the worm also got a laugh. Just takin' the bus downtown.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Susan is practically an Honored Matre with that whorish lipstick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Huh. Leto’s dad died bullfighting? Is that why the gladiator fight had guys with bull horns?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Steve Yun posted:

Huh. Leto’s dad died bullfighting? Is that why the gladiator fight had guys with bull horns?

I think they're meant to look like jesters.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

jeeves posted:

Sort of in parallel with someone likeCS Lewis becoming more super religious as he aged with his writing- Herbert got more H O R N Y

That happens to (almost) all SF authors. Worse for some. :pedo:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zopotantor posted:

That happens to (almost) all SF authors. Worse for some. :pedo:

Orson Scott Card worked around this by building the prepubescent shower scenes into the very first book of his acclaimed series

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Is it pronounced Dunk or Dunce?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Doonc.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Duncan

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Arrakis.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Jakku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Somehow, Duncan has returned.