Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Failboattootoot posted:

Seems pretty likely at this point since we've gone 2 expansions without a new mount.
Malboro is Coils + Alexander so that's why people were expecting something for Omega + Eden. Maybe there will be a mount for those two + Pandaemonium instead though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wish the blackjack was a cash shop item because for 30 bucks it probably would have come with the ff6 airship theme. Absolutely criminal that you have to grind that much in GP and you just get the generic rear end mount music. Pretty much killed any desire I had to obtain it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I bought it but the fact that it just replaces your character model with the airship instead of letting you hang off the side or something isn't great

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just hit 4mil and am debating it. May get the cactus instead.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Speaking of mount music (and in-game music in general) - I have a question for everyone?

What percentage of the time when you're playing FFXIV do you have sounds/music on?

For me personally, I keep all audio on when going through quests and dungeons for the first time. During a new expansion, I almost always keep my music on as I'm working through the MSQ and all of the other new content. I keep it on for stuff like Hildibrand and other major sidequests. I also always put my music on for the first time I run through a dungeon.

After that, I play almost exclusively with my audio off. Mainly because if I'm not working on story content, I'm just doing misc grinding and would want to listen to random music or put on a show/stream on my second monitor.

Out of my thousands of hours of playtime, I probably have had the music on for under 5% of my total playtime. Am I the crazy one here?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mostly have audio on unless I’m doing something like only logging in for beast tribe dailies. I find that I play the game a lot worse without music and audio cues for whatever reason.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bruceski posted:

I'm sitting on nearly 5mil and haven't bought the Blackjack just because I don't like large mounts. I know some people do, and that's good for them. Everyone is allowed their own taste. For me, I prefer my mounts to be small.

My favorite mounts are: the Flying Card, the Flying Chair, Whisper-Go-Go, the Miw Miisv, and Pod 602. I don't really use any outside of those five.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Tbh I think I'm the crazy one for sticking with in game sounds and music for 100% of my playtime. Even when I was grinding mats on my animal crossing island, I used the illegal orchestrion mod to listen to different in game tracks instead of muting and listening to spotify or podcasts or whatever.

e: pod 602 rules for both being small and having great music. I do enjoy having the regalia because 4 person mount + that goofy rear end ff15 pit stop music

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I generally have the music on, except when the window's not in focus.
The only thing I really change up is whether I have mount music on or not.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I have my audio on pretty much all the time? Sometimes I'll go /bgm 0 if I'm grinding something where the backing track is getting on my nerves, but I prefer to have the sound effects.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of mount music (and in-game music in general) - I have a question for everyone?

What percentage of the time when you're playing FFXIV do you have sounds/music on?

For me personally, I keep all audio on when going through quests and dungeons for the first time. During a new expansion, I almost always keep my music on as I'm working through the MSQ and all of the other new content. I keep it on for stuff like Hildibrand and other major sidequests. I also always put my music on for the first time I run through a dungeon.

After that, I play almost exclusively with my audio off. Mainly because if I'm not working on story content, I'm just doing misc grinding and would want to listen to random music or put on a show/stream on my second monitor.

Out of my thousands of hours of playtime, I probably have had the music on for under 5% of my total playtime. Am I the crazy one here?

I turn on mount music when it's a cool background song. I'm still salty that Twintania doesn't have Thunderer.

I turn off my background music in general when I got to Ultima Thule.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mount music went off entire expacs ago. Getting on and off way too much for that nonsense!

I turn sound and music on to immerse, so new quests, rous, any new content introduction, adventuring in a new place, cutscenes/storylines that matter. So much dungeon and boss content is so good it's worth hearing again and again.

Grinding, tribals, pvp(they're fine music but not the high BPM I personally desire), market board, off it goes.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
i bought it and immediately used a mod to replace the music with some appropriate music

as a consequence every mount that uses the generic endwalker mount music also has the blackjack music, which is perfectly fine by me

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
I keep audio on almost all the time. I do have FFXIV master volume and mount volume on numpad keys to turn on and off as I wish though. I like the music and sounds in this game and am generally used to being in a cacophony of different things like this game, maybe a second game if I'm waiting for something in XIV, people on voice chat, and a twitch stream or a basketball game. Basically I'm flooding my audio and visual senses with things at all times and it's just what I'm used to now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I also turn voices down during raid prog because I need to make callouts, and Hephaistos likes to yell a lot when I would call a mechanic.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
sound/music:
always on. the music is honestly one of the best things in the game, really helps the feeling of it and immersion. i even leave mount music on, though i usually have combat music off because i don't like the zone music getting interrupted so much

that said i do have some funny stuff i like to do with mods.

hard to miss => battle theme 1.x, i'm tired of the old boss fate music and this is hilarious
uhhh one of the generic mount themes => sands of amber, fantastic song to chill to and i also got tired of the old generic music
another generic mount theme => a long fall, yeah this song rules

also some fun replacements aside from above:
a quick pit stop => deja vu by dave rodgers
island paradise => gas gas gas, this is for a stupid little car mod i installed for the gl-ii but as a result all the island mounts play it and that's even funnier
ul'dah day theme => 1.0 ul'dah theme
ul'dah night theme => wii sports version of ul'dah day theme
close in the distance => black hole sun
eorzea de chocobo => wii shop channel music
whale music => we like to party

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

Sound is always on. I use audio for a lot of queues.

Music is on unless:
I'm mindlessly macro crafting and I'm watching something on the side.
I'm doing a common roulette and the music is kinda boring - expert roulette Aetherfont.

I'll turn it off on some savage fights because my group is super slow, and 3 hours a night of Embers or whatever the gently caress One Amongst the Weary is for weeks straight will give me brain damage. If it's a good song that's not a problem. I spent more time listening to Ancient Shackles or Scream and that was just a better time overall.

P9 fit the soundtrack overall I think, but a few nights into p10 I actually just started playing Ancient Shackles instead and imo it fights the fight way better anyways.

Otherwise I find the actual in game music keeps me better focused. On songs that sync to the phase it's amazing, but even having the correct song helps me zone in.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 8, 2024

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
love the game's audio and its soundtrack, always have it on; the only times i mess with it are when i'm doing mindless levelling/gathering grinding and have a video or a podcast going on my second monitor. i feel like i like too much of the game to not let it go off

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

yeah, i think it's probably just a habit of mine from ages ago when I played WoW. it was the ultimate "have something on your second monitor" game.

So if it's not story stuff or stuff that is fully taking my attention, i turn all audio off.

I don't do savage/extremes. I go through the story content, run each dungeon a few times to get the triple triad card, and then just do super casual stuff like fishing.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Music on but mount and battle music off and Ultima Thule crime tooled to Amh Arang instead.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mordiceius posted:

yeah, i think it's probably just a habit of mine from ages ago when I played WoW. it was the ultimate "have something on your second monitor" game.

So if it's not story stuff or stuff that is fully taking my attention, i turn all audio off.

I don't do savage/extremes. I go through the story content, run each dungeon a few times to get the triple triad card, and then just do super casual stuff like fishing.

i 100% had the music off for wow for most of when I played that game, just because by and large it was uninteresting. i might not've even turned it off fully, just turned the regular volume pretty down because it wasn't even interesting enough to break through over whatever else I was listening to. it was the game i went to play when i wanted to listen to a podcast to keep my hands busy

i fully expected when I started playing ffxiv to also find the moments to listen to podcasts, but at some point i just went "this game is just too interesting and fun for me to not give it my full attention" and never really went back

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Ojjeorago posted:

Ultima Thule crime tooled to Amh Arang instead.
I do this but I changed it to the Omicron tribe music. I was tired of Close in the Distance but still wanted something related to UT.

The one piece of music I've outright muted is the main Eureka theme because it was driving me insane as I farmed bunny chests nonstop a few months ago.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

sound and music always on. mount music off, though, having it cut in and out constantly is annoying.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

music off when I'm sitting in Limsa doing marketboard poo poo, otherwise it goes on if I remember to flip it back. Always have to have it on for ocean fishing. Have had mount music off for several expansions now at least

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sound and music always on unless I'm trying to listen to a particularly quiet podcast while I'm grinding. Mount and combat music has been off for ages though. I only ever turn on combat music for my first couple of fights in a new expac.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Mordiceius posted:

100% of the time. I was the same for XI. The thought of turning off the music never really occurs to me.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Yeah i get why you’d do it in wow, the background music is more emphatically background music and isn’t as melody-forward as 14. That’s just the style they go with.

14 puts a lot of emphasis on the music because it’s a final fantasy and people have feelings about the music in other final fantasies

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bruceski posted:

tbh cactus is v cute > airship but I never played the old FF games.

Also, the most I saved up was for the wing accessory and it took a little over a month and a half since I did just the Fashion report.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I love close in the distance and I will never turn it off. However I also have no real reason to go to UT at this point.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Audio on 100% of the time. For the music, always on when I am doing something for the first time. After that, I usually have music off and am listening to something else instead, but I will turn it on sometimes when I am too lazy to load up a youtube or music. Combat and mount music always off though, rather just listen to the background music wherever I am than be going through endless stops and starts as i enter/leave fights and mount/dismount.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i always keep game/mount music on. i have the orchestrion plugin though so sometimes i change whats playing if i get sick of a boss theme after 3 hours of raiding or whatever.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

i basically do this as well

not that the ff14 music is bad, far from it

but I've got limited hours in which to do poo poo and i have a second monitor where the tv shows/movies/music player goes

but i imagine most people are going to look at people like you and me as the weirdos

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

music always on, mount music always off, and not being able to listen to a raid's theme for the entire time night after night is a sign of feeble weakness

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sound is always on, I just usually have a podcast going on.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

hexwren posted:

i basically do this as well

not that the ff14 music is bad, far from it

but I've got limited hours in which to do poo poo and i have a second monitor where the tv shows/movies/music player goes

but i imagine most people are going to look at people like you and me as the weirdos

Hah. Maybe so. Also, my wife's computer is next to mine and if she's playing a game, I don't need my background music mixing with hers.

I guess I have two modes for FFXIV - "immersive" mode when I'm doing story stuff and want music on and "chill" mode where I'm just doing random bullshit.

And yeah, the music isn't bad. It's good, in fact! I'll listen to dungeon music the first couple times I run it. But then? I don't need to hear it anymore. I'll probably put on music that more fits my mood at the time or watch something while playing.

I genuinely am amazed by the people who leave their sound on always and don't have any additional stimulations while playing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I usually play with music on when I'm doing anything serious, but like, my recent Island Sanctuary daily work is muted. I love the tracks there though.

Also I don't have mount music because interrupting the current track for it does bother me, even if it's a good song. So they can put whatever rear end track in there they want, doesn't bother me none.

Also also I love Close in the Distance and it'll never get old to me. Sorry to all the people who sat waiting for Chi for hours I suppose.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

My horrible secret is that I never remember any of the track names in this game, just "the zone day/night theme" or whatever, so I can never follow any conversation about music

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There are crime tools that show the current song name next to the clock

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
As of about 4 years ago: all music off, all the time, in every game for which there is an option.

Started off as a half-joke about music for boss fights (in Souls games) was telling me how to feel- and stop telling me how to feel! So I first turned it off just to see if certain boss fights hit different. They very much did. So I started turning it off for everything.

Now, music bugs me if I turn it on. I want to hear all the other game sounds. Music just takes me right out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The 9th 14-hour broadcast has been announced starting 12 April 2024 at 8:00 PM (PDT)/11:00 PM(EDT)/April 13 2024 3:00 AM (GMT)
No itinerary of panels during the broadcast, yet.

but as EVERY single 14-hour stream before this had a PLL, I think it's safe to assume this one will, too.

Might even be the Benchmark - if so, I'd guess the PAX panel might announce the release date for Dawntrail + pre-order, first.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 10, 2024