Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The future is here, friends.

Applebee's and IHOP are finalizing plans to share real estate and open dual locations under a single building. Under the plan, Applebee's locations would also have an IHOP within them that shares the real estate.

They are just opening several prototype locations right now with plans to eventually bring it to all U.S. locations, but sadly there is no currently no firm timetable for a general release.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1765816011775738108

quote:

Applebee's and IHOP are launching co-branded locations with both chains under one roof

Two of America’s iconic chain eateries are set to combine forces — literally.

The parent company of IHOP and Applebee’s has announced it has begun opening dual-branded locations, combining back-of-the house cooking areas and blending front-of-the-house dining areas, though with discrete entrances.

On parent Dine Brands Global’s most recent earnings call, CEO John Peyton said the company had already rolled out eight prototypes of the concept at select international locations, the most recent one opening in León, Mexico, about four hours northwest of Mexico City.

The idea is to reduce costs while maximizing revenues by attracting customers dining at different parts of the day to the same location, Peyton said.

“At breakfast, when there are more IHOP customers, customers can be seated in the Applebee’s area and vice versa at dinner,” Peyton told Nation's Restaurant News in a follow-up interview.

Peyton said the plan would be to “eventually” bring the concept of the U.S., without specifying a timetable.

Dine Brands, which also owns Fuzzy’s Taco Shop, has faced challenges in recent years amid changing tastes and rising cost pressures. It has closed hundreds of Applebee's locations since 2017, including 46 in 2023. Peyton also noted on the earnings call that customers continued to pull back on their spending last year.

Still, Dine Brands plans to open 25 new restaurants with Applebee’s largest operator, Flynn Restaurant Group. These will feature a more modern, streamlined restaurant that will include features like robotic beer dispensers.

As for IHOP, Peyton sees the brand as a market leader with a track record of growth, noting that 46 new U.S. locations opened last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^^^^^^ A classy date and/or you got out of the club and the denny's is too far. Together!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

CNN has a copy of the transcript for the SOTU highlights.

- Call on congress to pass a bipartisan bill to increase housing stock (it would produce roughly 2 million homes - but doesn't say over how long of a timeline, which would be about 33% of the current housing shortage)

- A $10,000 refundable tax credit for home purchases and a separate $10,000 tax credit for people who sell a home below the median price in their area.

Brandon is gonna reduce my property value!

:argh:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My position is perfectly clear. "Joe Biden doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on the topic of Israel/Palestine". You're the one muddying the waters and making your position unclear by nebulously bringing up delivered results from "campaign promises and other statements from over the years". Citations for nebulous prior unrelated actions and accomplishments were not given and I'm not asking for them. On Israel/Palestine Biden has been a bad actor and he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt until words and statements turn into actions and results. This isn't complicated. Anyway, I'm moving on. Time for the SOTU. We'll see how firm and definitive his aid promises are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bob is officially gone - retiring to spend more time with his gold bars (and possibly iron bars).

https://twitter.com/OneJerseySchorr/status/1765870260299657601

Jaxyon posted:

^^^^^^^ A classy date and/or you got out of the club and the denny's is too far. Together!

Brandon is gonna reduce my property value!

:argh:

Those two stories are linked and the 2 million buildings in the legislation will all be dual IHOP/Applebee's.

Home values will plumet as residential real estate becomes superfluous when you can get waffles, 2 for $20 meal deals, and $5 Bahama Mamas during happy hour at the same locations, thus eliminating the need to stay anywhere else.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 8, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FistEnergy posted:

My position is perfectly clear. "Joe Biden doesn't get the benefit of the doubt on the topic of Israel/Palestine". You're the one muddying the waters and making your position unclear by nebulously bringing up delivered results from "campaign promises and other statements from over the years". Citations for nebulous prior unrelated actions and accomplishments were not given and I'm not asking for them. On Israel/Palestine Biden has been a bad actor and he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt until words and statements turn into actions and results. This isn't complicated.

I don't believe I'm muddying the waters, I think I'm providing examples regarding similar processes to help construct my point, but we don't need to get into the weeds, we can simplify things, do you agree that this could be good news if it happens? Whether or not we or anyone extends Biden the benefit of the doubt isn't relevant here, I can choose to extend it, you can choose not to extend it, but at the end of the day this was announced, and its fair for most people to assume that some kind of effort will be made at carrying it out; do you agree that this is hypothetically good news?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Perhaps there is a third way where we can agree it will be a significant positive thing if this port plan comes to fruition, but we can also wait and see if it actually happens before praising Joseph Robinette Biden for achieving it?

This plan will dramatically improve the positing deficit and help achieve a balanced thread by 2027.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

CNN has a copy of the transcript for the SOTU highlights.

It is going to be framed as a "kickoff of the 2024 campaign" and an introduction to his 2024 platform.

Summary:

- Attack Trump/Defend Democracy

- Stress commitment to representing all Americans

- Propose higher taxes on corporations and wealthy (add a new tax bracket for people with income over $5 million, introduce a 25% minimum tax for anyone with a net worth over $1 billion, and increase corporate tax rate to 27%) in support of deficit reduction.

- Pledge to avoid any cuts to Social Security and Medicare and attack Trump's plans to cut Medicare and Medicaid.

- Call on congress to pass a bipartisan bill to increase housing stock (it would produce roughly 2 million homes - but doesn't say over how long of a timeline, which would be about 33% of the current housing shortage)

- A $10,000 refundable tax credit for home purchases and a separate $10,000 tax credit for people who sell a home below the median price in their area.

- Pledge to restore Roe v. Wade

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/state-of-the-union-biden-03-07-24#h_387eb6f36bb550095c1dd3ebd7eef551

These are moderately good policies to adopt domestically, I hope there is significant appetite to pursue the AMT on millionaires and the extended tax bracket since the extendes tax bracket is a somewhat moderated platform plank of Sanders in 2016 and Warren and Sanders IIRC in 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it's political malpractice to run on deficit reduction in TYOOL 2024. This is 100% going to get spun as 'Biden wants to raise taxes'. Like I get that you don't want insane deficits, but you are trying to convince people to vote for you, and one of your big opening planks is 'raise money to pay off the deficit?' I understand that maybe you don't think you will be able to pass another big bill in Congress next year, but you need to aim a little higher here guys. This is like John Kerry 2004 milquetoast politics.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it's political malpractice to run on deficit reduction in TYOOL 2024. This is 100% going to get spun as 'Biden wants to raise taxes'. Like I get that you don't want insane deficits, but you are trying to convince people to vote for you, and one of your big opening planks is 'raise money to pay off the deficit?' I understand that maybe you don't think you will be able to pass another big bill in Congress next year, but you need to aim a little higher here guys. This is like John Kerry 2004 milquetoast politics.

The tax policies themselves are moderately ambitious, but I agree that framing them as part of deficit reduction is a political snore and unambitious. It might be good long-term fiscal policy to tax the wealthy and pay down debt, but it isn't really a strong policy to rally around.

You have to walk a line between boring/realistic and inspiring/ambitious goals. This seems like it is leaning way too far towards the realistic and practical for a SotU that is being billed as a 2024 campaign kickoff and introduction to his re-election platform.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 8, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Raenir Salazar posted:

and of course Biden would be viciously attacked for it in the media by Republicans and their spokespersons, that's just one example of how the situation is not in fact that cut and drained, which again has been my point;

They will? Gosh, well I guess Biden has no choice then!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Perhaps there is a third way where we can agree

please stop posting crazy poo poo in this thread, thanks

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Raenir Salazar posted:

He cannot just for example, stop giving aid to Israel, because currently afaik, its being used as a carrot to restrain Israel from turning on the West Bank

ah yes, the hundreds of arms shipments to israel is keeping israel from turning on the people it is currently using those arms against

i was going to jump in and add to the chorus of people suggesting maybe you're on the wrong track but i'm struggling to get further than this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You have to walk a line between boring/realistic and inspiring/ambitious goals. This seems like it is leaning way too far towards the realistic and practical for a SotU that is being billed as a 2024 campaign kickoff and introduction to his re-election platform.
What I am seeing so far is far, far less ambitious than the 2020 campaign and that was already a compromise from what Sanders and the more progressive Dems were pitching then.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Biden is fuckin KILLING IT with his State of the Union. I have never seen such venom spat against the opposition as we have witnessed tonight!

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Grouchio posted:

So Biden is fuckin KILLING IT with his State of the Union. I have never seen such venom spat against the opposition as we have witnessed tonight!

quote:

Joe Biden then sparred with Republicans over immigration reform, after the party killed a bipartisan compromise to tie tighter border policies to aid to Ukraine and Israel.

“I’m told my predecessor called members of Congress in the Senate to demand they block the bill,” Biden said.

But he appeared to lose his train of thought, and picked up a pin, worn by rightwing lawmaker Marjorie Taylor Greene, with the name Laiken Riley, a Georgia woman suspected to have been killed by an undocumented immigrant.

He called Riley “an innocent young woman who was killed by an illegal” but then flubbed his next few words.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...f088169d35941b7

Unfortunate timing here though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kith posted:

ah yes, the hundreds of arms shipments to israel is keeping israel from turning on the people it is currently using those arms against

i was going to jump in and add to the chorus of people suggesting maybe you're on the wrong track but i'm struggling to get further than this

Gaza and the West Bank are currently de facto essentially two different countries, as they encompass two distinctly different geographical areas and are under two completely different governments. The weapons being used in Gaza under the fig leaf of being used against Hamas are not being used against the people living in the West Bank.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I don't think that's a very accurate depiction from listening live, he followed that quote by basically saying murders by illegal immigrants are a tiny portion overall and we should be focused on solutions for the much bigger issues. He did stumble on the words a bit but "she was killed by an illegal" was certainly not the end of his point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KrisKobach1787/status/1765935595702919299

Pro lead in pipes, man the gop is so crossed up right now

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The unspoken part posted:

Most of the lead pipes are where *those* people live, so how much benefit could there be, really

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I love that pair of words, "unfunded mandate". The raw magic of the burdenshift it entails, and has now entailed for generations, is incredible.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Are the benefits of not drinking lead speculative now? I thought we had that one pretty settled, but what do I know. I’m not a plumbolobist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh and the GOP SotU response remains undefeated in strangling the political career of a young “rising star” in the party

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1765959063685218649

The kitchen setting approaches Marenghiesque levels of textual courage.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1765958934077091949

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

This could be in the new Purge movie and not be out of place.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

zoux posted:

Oh and the GOP SotU response remains undefeated in strangling the political career of a young “rising star” in the party

Bobby Jindal, Joe Kennedy III, Marco Rubio. It's a curse that's a blessing in disguise.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

zoux posted:

Did Paul Verhoeven direct that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What a supremely weird dude.

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1765965385583505897?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Xiahou Dun posted:

Did Paul Verhoeven direct that.

Auditioning for the Helldivers netflix adaptation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/KrisKobach1787/status/1765935595702919299

Pro lead in pipes, man the gop is so crossed up right now

Biden should announce that he's issuing an executive order that all Americans are required to breathe. Bam, instant house and senate majorities and EC sweep in november

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am for the jobs and freedom drinking lead will produce.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm glad the Republican response has gone from meandering slop to absolutely unhinged.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
So I haven't watch it yet, but it sounds like the SOTU was basically the "behind closed doors" Biden that is "unbelievably sharp" that was getting pushed on media over the last month so much that SNL and Jon Stewart were mocking it? Definitely the kind of thing that is show, don't tell.

Obviously a speech like this is going to be extremely rehearsed in a way that reporter Q&A time can't be, but at the least the combination of setting the message for the campaign season and showing that he can stay coherent and on-topic has some chance of moving the narratives from "Biden old" to something about actual policies. Regardless of what anyone here thinks about his policies, I think the Biden camp really wants that to be the focus, and avoiding any catastrophic gaffes in a major moment like this is how Biden gets out of the polling hole by the election

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PKMN Trainer Red is on fire.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

They should get Das Racist to write a new song to celebrate the combination International House O' Bees

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BougieBitch posted:

So I haven't watch it yet, but it sounds like the SOTU was basically the "behind closed doors" Biden that is "unbelievably sharp" that was getting pushed on media over the last month so much that SNL and Jon Stewart were mocking it? Definitely the kind of thing that is show, don't tell.

Obviously a speech like this is going to be extremely rehearsed in a way that reporter Q&A time can't be, but at the least the combination of setting the message for the campaign season and showing that he can stay coherent and on-topic has some chance of moving the narratives from "Biden old" to something about actual policies. Regardless of what anyone here thinks about his policies, I think the Biden camp really wants that to be the focus, and avoiding any catastrophic gaffes in a major moment like this is how Biden gets out of the polling hole by the election

It was a perfectly average to slightly above average 1.5 hour speech.

He had some quick off-the-cuff remarks in response to audience reactions and he had some stuttering moments, but it was overall a pretty generic and mostly well-executed 6.5 or 7 out of 10 speech.

If you thought he was literally in the midst of dementia, then it probably blew away all of your expectations. Otherwise, it was a competent and by-the-numbers very long speech that the average person will probably forget in a month.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

If you thought he was literally in the midst of dementia, then it probably blew away all of your expectations. Otherwise, it was a competent and by-the-numbers very long speech that the average person will probably forget in a month.

Honestly it kind of feels like people have been thinking that way, not just in this bubble but, again, from Jon Stewart and SNL. Obviously that's tinted by the fact that "senile Joe" makes for a better bit than "normal Joe", but given the issue polls and such about voters finding Biden too old it kind of feels like that's going to be a narrative the campaign needs to fight continuously for the next 8 months. This particular speech probably doesn't matter in a vacuum, but this is basically the start of the general election campaign season since Super Tuesday pretty much closed the books on the primaries, so I think it kind of sets the tone for things.

I guess you could say that, like a lot of things, there probably wasn't a version of the speech that would have won him a lot of voters, but there was definitely a version that could have lost him a lot of voters - or at least made the next month or two miserable for him narratively

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Ari Fleischer types seem annoyed so I’ll assume they at least didn’t get what they wanted.

Katie Britt, meanwhile, appears to have had a bad night.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

zoux posted:

The most 90s thing I've seen in ages.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Make sure to right click to unmute and watch this. It is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I thought Biden was great in the first half, but he faltered when switching to immigration and the border.

Unfortunately, he didn't recover much after that. C+/B-

The GOP response, on the other hand, was almost entirely awful. She sounded fake for most it. D-