Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

ninjewtsu posted:

Neither can bot berserkers but the flamethrower is exceptionally unhelpful in that circumstance

I do not want to kill melee units that I am close to slowly! That is the absolute last scenario where I want a slow DoT!

Tbh the bot berserkers just flat out have a lot of HP rather than armor so it’s not a good flamethrower matchup. It’s not just the flamethrower, even auto-cannon needs to two tap usually. My best success is unloading on their waists with whatever I have that builds up flat damage the fastest. SMG sidearm does that nicely. That seems to snap them in half pretty quickly compared to trying to land head shots under duress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Alkydere posted:

1-2. If you're in the front it will blow the head right off and insta-kill it. Had one pop up about 20 meters from me and got lucky enough with the lock on that I managed to kill it before it finished standing up and winding up a bile attack.

The lock on really does need some work for how finicky it is, but it's honestly really nice to have a player with a "delete high threat target" weapon.
Whilst it is by no means a guarantee, the first person mode seems to have way better lock on than third person.

I would also like it to have TOP and DIR firing modes because Chargers want one in the front, not the top. And probably a dumb attack fire mode that means you can use it more like a RR for those situations where the lock isn't locking, or you want to hit something that won't lock at the current range. Honestly just giving it a dumb attack mode would be the easiest short term solution to the locking being funky.

As an aside, the Spear is probably the easiest way to delete a fabricator from more than 75m if you can't get LOS on the front with an Autocannon, it'll just straight up destroy it from any angle.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, for Bezerkers grab something quick firing and try to cut them in half rather than going for the headshots.

The Slugger will stunlock one (normal Devastators too!), but if you have multiple bearing down on you that's a bit less reliable.

I never played HD1, but what are the chances of one of the Illuminate heavies being a War Of The Worlds style tripod? That seems like it'd be a good fit for this game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

the bugs cant just stand back and shoot you

No but they can circle around and stab you in the rear end while you stand still for 10 seconds trying to slow cook a charger.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you get a perfect headshot the Slugger can oneshot Berserkers, though it's tricky to pull off when they're running at you. The trick I found is to aim slightly higher than you think you should with the reticule.

I've also tried the Flamethrower against bugs and in my opinion it's pretty awful at doing anything other than cooking Chargers, maybe a group of the slower not-threatening bugs (warriors, hive guards) if they're funneling through a choke.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Darox posted:

If you get a perfect headshot the Slugger can oneshot Berserkers, though it's tricky to pull off when they're running at you. The trick I found is to aim slightly higher than you think you should with the reticule.

I've also tried the Flamethrower against bugs and in my opinion it's pretty awful at doing anything other than cooking Chargers, maybe a group of the slower not-threatening bugs (warriors, hive guards) if they're funneling through a choke.

The flamer's better than it was before but it still suffers from being a Video Game Flamethrower - the range is anemic, and because the cone is quite narrow its actually not as good of an AoE weapon as you'd think it would be. DRG has spoiled me with regards to flamethrowers - theyre not perfect by any means but there were multiple ways where a flamer could make serious impact - either with direct flame damage (like we have in HD2 now, but with less range issues and the ability to explode targes if they die while on fire), or by turning the floor into an inferno and kiting poo poo over it.

Especially the last part feels like a missed factor for the HD2 flamer. Any fire it leaves might get rid of the tiny bugs but thats about it, its more likely to accidentally make you waste a stim because your big toe grazed a fire patch than it is to actually do any kind of meaningful damage to enemies.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The weirdest thing about the flamethrower is how you slow to a crawl to fire it and it turns like a fat cow. It's not an autocannon, let us spray that stuff everywhere.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Part of why the railgun was so widely used over everything else was it didn't have the handling jank that most of the other weapons did, you pulled it out you aimed for a few seconds and it did the job, the crosshair didn't bounce around, you didn't slow down to a crawl for long, you didn't have to stand still to reload while a horde got closer or a titan got ready to hurf on you.

Flamer still needs a bit more range and some "bugs panicked while on fire" animations to really feel right.

Bonus points if when bugs die to being on fire they fall on their backs and curl up instead of limply ragdolling.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 8, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The game seems to have some weird inconsistent damage bugs. Here a player tries the railgun vs titans, and it changes a lot... depending if he plays with a ps5 player or not!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWQxg5mIzT8&t=610s

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Bonus points if when bugs die to being on fire they fall on their backs and curl up instead of limply ragdolling.

:hmmyes:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

fall on their backs and curl up instead of limply ragdolling.

this is so much missing, we absolutely need that death animation

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
did we not get the medals for heath and angel’s venture?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

The game seems to have some weird inconsistent damage bugs. Here a player tries the railgun vs titans, and it changes a lot... depending if he plays with a ps5 player or not!

The game runs on magic and hopes and dreams.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
waking up to see tien kwan completely stalled overnight, europeans simply hate democracy

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

waking up to see tien kwan completely stalled overnight, europeans simply hate democracy

Mass sacrifice of the weekend warriors will get it done.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Is anyone else noticing just... a lot more spawns? I don't remember getting 6 bile titans 8 minutes into a difficulty 5 before, and diff 8 bots seemed to constantly be dropping 2+ dropships at a time even for regular-rear end patrols.

Edit: Alsso every bot factory seems to have switched to sole production of Berserkers

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

As European I can confirm I just pick whatever planet and faction I find fancy on the spot, and ignore the galactic war metagame.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turin Turambar posted:

tl;dr:

-armor sucks because you can get headshot for over half HP by even weak enemies
-enemies deal the same damage regardless of difficulty
- :supaburn: you can still strip charger leg armor in 2 railgun shots, provided you charge them enough
-for some reason it takes over 20 high charge railgun shots to kill a bile titan even if you hit it in the face, but if there is a ps5 player in your party you can kill them with just 1-2 rail shots to the head.
seems like either bile titan headshots don't work properly for PC players but getting a ps5 player in the group makes them work again-or there's a bug on the ps5 side instead that makes them die extra fast? tbh they die too slowly for PC players using rails normally, and too quickly when there's a ps5 player.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if the ps5 version have different damage/values in its data tables, by mistake or whatever, and when there is a match with crossplay between pc and ps players, the game gives priority to the ps data.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder if the ps5 version have different damage/values in its data tables, by mistake or whatever, and when there is a match with crossplay between pc and ps players, the game gives priority to the ps data.
I've heard it's weirder than that: A PS5 player can't quick railgun titans themselves unless there's a second PS5 player in the group.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
for the record I know I also didn't figure this out, but that's because I believed you fuckers.
I am going to hold this over the heads of everyone who was catastrophizing about railgun nerfs forever

the shots it takes to strip charger leg armor didn't even change you just hold unsafe shots a little longer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sindai posted:

I've heard it's weirder than that: A PS5 player can't quick railgun titans themselves unless there's a second PS5 player in the group.
:psypop:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sindai posted:

A second playstation has hit the titan

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It would not surprise me in the least if there is some kind of framerate issue at play with these damage numbers. Considering the engine is Destiny 1 old and defunct, it's practically par for the course that a cross-platform game at launch has some stupid bug related to "oh... we didn't account for higher than 30/60/120 frames per second."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Given that it is the same engine Fatshark uses for VT2/Darktide, I see their strange bugs and failures at regression tests in a new light...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Strongly doubt it's framerate, otherwise it would happen based on people's different PC rigs.
It's consistently happening when there is a non-host ps5 player, whatever the issue is, it's tied to that.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

:yeah:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Darox posted:

Reticle as in the dot and not the recoil circle right?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like headshot damage was something secretly toggled on this patch because I was trying out the laser backpack on a low difficulty and it clipped my head for a quarter of my health so I stimmed, it did it again for less then a second and killed me from full HP.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like headshot damage was something secretly toggled on this patch because I was trying out the laser backpack on a low difficulty and it clipped my head for a quarter of my health so I stimmed, it did it again for less then a second and killed me from full HP.

I can tell you that half-second headshots from the laser drone have been in since at least day two.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Dyz posted:

Reticle as in the dot and not the recoil circle right?

Yeah, when you're looking down the scope. Aiming between the eyes usually just made them stagger but aiming closer to the forehead got me some clean kills. It's pretty finicky to pull off though and if you miss the stagger animation lets them cover a lot of ground while protecting their head.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Speaking of reticles: it sure seems like the AMR's first person sights are misaligned(independently of zeroing), and it's easier to aim using the top left corner of the center square.

Have had much more success killing hulks when lining up this bit with their weakpoints.
Might be nonsense though, I'll fiddle around with it more.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

boz posted:

If you have your quick grenade bound to your Strategem button you need to change it. That's what's causing it to happen.

From a little back, about the game placing a grenade in your hand after throwing a stratagem. Thanks for this. It’d been driving me nuts the past two nights. I’ve had quick grenade bound to L1 since the game’s first week so this is definitely a bug related to Wednesday’s patch.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

MissMarple posted:

I would like them to have actual Campaign Medals. Helped liberate Tien Kwan by successfully completing at least one Campaign? There's some collectable thing in the Player section like your Title or the Icon that basically says "I Was There".
I like the ridiculous quantity of Medals been given to you and that that acts as a currency for getting fancier Armour and stuff, but I'd like the game to celebrate my part in their meta story too.

Was talking to a friend about this - they have so many cool options for cosmetic poo poo that they could use to soak currency - make people spend medals on campaign ribbons and stuff for their background or on their ship, custom ranks like 1st Wave At the Creek, etc.

One thing I thought of - you should get a medal that gets put on your chest for every mission you complete without dying - but you lose them when you die.

Seeing some dude looking like Jason Issacs in Death of Stalin get cluster bombed would be loving hilarious.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

Speaking of reticles: it sure seems like the AMR's first person sights are misaligned(independently of zeroing)

Yeah, tested that on a hulk that was being extremely docile, AMR reticle is definitely fucky wucky.

Must be an automaton plot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Infidelicious posted:

One thing I thought of - you should get a medal that gets put on your chest for every mission you complete without dying - but you lose them when you die.
I don't think they should spend precious dev time on systems that will never affect me

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Eediot Jedi posted:

A second playstation has hit the titan

Nomination for new thread title

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Turin Turambar posted:

I play on PC with a dual sense with kbm goons. The ARMA lite guns do enough to make the game even on each control scheme. I also don't have any issues shooting things with a controller because I'm used to it.

When they introduced earthquakes everyone was jealous because I was loling at the stupid haptics instead of playing the game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A bit of a summary of bits of info I have read or seen over time:

-Enemies are composed of different body parts
-Said body parts can have different armor values layered on top of it. Even the same body part can have different armor values at different sides (Charger legs front vs back)
-Armor can be ablated, and then your weapon damages the body part directly
-Weapons have penetration values from 1 to 10, like armor, if Penetration = armor value, the weapon does 50% damage, if Pen > armor, it does 100% damage, if pen < armor the bullet is deflected.
-Some body parts can have damage multipliers, like the head.
-Some body parts can be tagged as ‘fleshy guts’ (like the butt of Charges and the sides of the big spewers). They don’t have armor but they have a big damage reduction value unless the damage is explosive.
-I believe body parts have all their own hp pool, so maybe those ‘fleshy guts’ can have very low armor and huge hp pool, that’s why it can be hard to destroy them with normal weapons. It’s also why it’s better to focus fire on the same body part, distributing damage over several limbs and chest will make the enemy need more bullets in total to be killed.
-You have a red marker if your weapon damages directly an enemy, a white marker if there is armor that your weapon can’t penetrate fully (but you still do some damage), and the deflection icon if you don’t do any damage.
-Weapons tagged a light penetration can do reduced damage (white marker) against light armor, and full damage against no armor.
-Weapons tagged as medium penetration can do full damage against light and no armor, and reduced damage against medium armor. Hive Guard is an example of enemy with medium armor (on the front and head).
-Player armor reduces a flat amount of damage, so heavier armor it’s better against weak enemies and have a much lesser effect against strong enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Do enemies have a leash on how far they will chase you, or is it more about losing sight of you and turning away? I tried out the advanced technique of "run away" out on some missions last night and hey it turns out it works really well. But it seems like sometimes enemies will just give up the chase after a short distance while other times it's to the death.