Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

theflyingexecutive posted:

Kanopy costs libraries and universities a huge amount of money. Even Stanford noped out.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know the particulars but I know there's different tiers institutions can sign up. Like, if I log into Kanopy with my university login, I get a different set of movies than if I log in with my public library account.

edit: I found this about the cost of the service: https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamrowe1/2019/07/31/how-much-is-your-library-paying-for-the-kanopy-video-streaming-service/?sh=7f32ae9170fd

I know my local library doesn't use it or any of the other things, but it doesn't surprise me...I live in a town that's pretty anti-intellectual so the library is always dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did they really not have a better title for the second one?

I had to look it up to remind myself. It's actually Code 8: Part 2. Which reads a little less awkward, but makes less sense. It's not really the second part like Dune: Part 2, the first movie finishes its story and this is the next one in that franchise / series. But then if you blink, you'll miss what a "code 8" is, so ...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There better be 8 of them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

The mean girls reboot is smashed dog poo poo.

hey...2/5 lead actors are pretty good singers? that's all i got :shrug:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Iceman would be a good double feature with The Grey

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

theflyingexecutive posted:

Lost would've done so much better under HBO or a cable channel. Network TV deadlines are already insane for episodic shows that shoot mostly on stage. Doing a fully serialized show with a sprawling ensemble cast almost fully on location is nuts even without a psycho like Cuse running the writers room.

Lost is a show that absolutely deserves to be rebooted by an actually talented and competent writing team that doesn't look down on its actors and fans. Much like Sliders.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

drat I loved Sliders back in the day.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

RCarr posted:

Right? How has that not been rebooted in this era?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

1glitch0 posted:

Right? How has that not been rebooted in this era?

they did but now its called rick and morty

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man. I’m pretty cool with remakes and reboots and such but I can’t think of many things I’d be less interested in diving into then a new Lost. I’m not stepping into that hole again.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Man. I’m pretty cool with remakes and reboots and such but I can’t think of many things I’d be less interested in diving into then a new Lost. I’m not stepping into that hole again.

You'd either get a too-close remake that excises all the boring and bad parts and the central mystery is the same or you'd get a total reimagining at which point you should just make a new show without the baggage and thirty additional executive producers to pay.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Carell's performance is considerably less weird than the real John duPont.

Who'd play a good Robert Durst?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

RCarr posted:

It was good till it became the Kromagg Variety Hour

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
They should do a Lost… in space.

nonathlon posted:

I had to look it up to remind myself. It's actually Code 8: Part 2. Which reads a little less awkward, but makes less sense. It's not really the second part like Dune: Part 2, the first movie finishes its story and this is the next one in that franchise / series. But then if you blink, you'll miss what a "code 8" is, so ...

I’m hype to see Code 8x2, because chapsploitation is forever - but also mildly hesitant because of the superhero aspect (however revisionist a take on XMen it may be).

What’s the ratio of chappies to mutants?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

veni veni veni posted:

The mean girls reboot is smashed dog poo poo.

idk why the only musicals that get turned into movies are the shittiest ones

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Peccadillo posted:

DJ Qualls.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

The Peccadillo posted:

Someone already made a movie based on his crimes in 2010 called All Good Things and the character based on him was played by Ryan Gosling lol.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Someone already made a movie based on his crimes in 2010 called All Good Things and the character based on him was played by Ryan Gosling lol.

Haha oh yeah, that was the same guy who made the doc

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I like that mewling little bastard. Where did he go?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mostly TV, he's had decent recurring roles on 3 different series in the last decade, and made appearances in Fargo, Creepshow, Cabinet of Curiosities, and something called Time Traveling Bong.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

chapsploitation is forever

You know I think you're onto something here.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What’s the ratio of chappies to mutants?

Pretty low. I don’t think there’s ever more than two chappies on screen at once.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Wow, y'all weren't kidding, TMNT was brilliant. My partner - who has and never had any interest in the franchise at all - loved it. I was surprised to find myself genuinely tearing up at points.

Just a really sweet-natured, good-hearted, cool, fresh and funny film all round

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I regret to inform you that Milkshake Duck Leonardo is a racist

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lament.cfg posted:

Reading that article made me feel so old and happy about it. Especially the part that goes “X was recently revealed to be a pedophile but now fans are on his side because Y threw slurs at him.” The internet.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

they did but now its called rick and morty

I feel bad saying it but when I actually sat down and watched Rick and Morty it was some of the better sci-fi TV I've seen, animation and burping aside

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Inspector Hound posted:

I feel bad saying it but when I actually sat down and watched Rick and Morty it was some of the better sci-fi TV I've seen, animation and burping aside

Don't feel bad because despite what the internet says, it's a fun and good show.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Don't feel bad because despite what the internet says, it's a fun and good show.

I somehow watched many seasons of Rick and Morty without ever being exposed to the discussion about it on the internet and was very confused when I finally heard some of it. Great show.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

1glitch0 posted:

I somehow watched many seasons of Rick and Morty without ever being exposed to the discussion about it on the internet and was very confused when I finally heard some of it. Great show.

Yeah same I just watched and enjoyed it and later found out there was all kinds of dumb internet poo poo about it. Sadly seems to be the case for anything that's above a certain degree of popularity for long enough and/or might have had someone problematic involved with it along the way.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

solar opposites is really good too

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Rick and Morty looks funny, but I was exposed to the fandom long before the show, so I can never bring myself to watch it.

And that's okay because there are like 5000 other shows out that people say is good

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

STAC Goat posted:

Reading that article made me feel so old and happy about it. Especially the part that goes “X was recently revealed to be a pedophile but now fans are on his side because Y threw slurs at him.” The internet.

That article is definitely written by either an AI or someone with profound brain damage. Regardless of whatever this dream guy did or didn't do, the Leonardo voice actor had a thing where he freaked out at an Uber driver and screamed a bunch of slurs at him, and I think he and the YouTuber were hanging out at that time. If anything the YouTuber being a predator just makes Cantu look worse because he was hanging out with the guy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lament.cfg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOUBpQNTGmM

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

That article is definitely written by either an AI or someone with profound brain damage. Regardless of whatever this dream guy did or didn't do, the Leonardo voice actor had a thing where he freaked out at an Uber driver and screamed a bunch of slurs at him, and I think he and the YouTuber were hanging out at that time. If anything the YouTuber being a predator just makes Cantu look worse because he was hanging out with the guy.

the whole story broke my brain because they hate the dream guy so much they invented a weirdo senerio out of nothing and it spread and people believed it.

they believed that this minor 20 year old little baby boy was force fed drinks at a party by the big adult 23-24 year old man and this triggered his psychosis which then Dream filmed and used as black mail.

it drove me crazy. and I dont give a fucccck about the minecraft maybe groomer pedo dude at all

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

Now watch the original version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqiabLe7mkk

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My first exposure to Rick and Morty I was on acid and I was disgusted wondering why the gently caress the grandpa always had cum coming out oh his mouth.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

i always find it crazy that people wanna watch TV and stuff while tripping. I always need to go touch a tree or something

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rick and Morty is not nearly as bad as reactionary internet people would have you believe, and not nearly as good as evangelical fans profess. I avoided it for years cause all I knew about it was that goons acted like it was a point of pride to hate it. Then I finally watched it a couple of years ago and it was pretty funny with some fun storylines. I'm not gonna be rolling around on a mcdonalds counter any time soon, but I don't regret watching it or have anything particularly bad to say about it. Definitely got some laughs out of me.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
It's very funny and handles the implications of a multiverse in much more interesting ways than most pop culture at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Rick and Morty is one of those things where I hear way more from people hating on the fans than I've ever heard from the actual fans. I can only assume the fans were really annoying at some point. Maybe, I dunno. Show is good, tho. Can't get into the new voices, but show might still be good!